Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WE HAVE AN EYEWITNESS OF TRUMP DROPPING THE N-BOMB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Nessus posted:

I imagine it would instead end in nothing whatever when the Freedom Caucus immediately ratfucks that guy hard and fast, whoever it is. Alternately, they simply and completely refuse to compromise on anything at all. What happens if the House doesn't get a Speaker at all?

If I am reading the article right, the idea behind all three scenarios is that moderate Democrats and moderate Republicans would unite to support order. The Freedom Caucus might groan and complain, but so long as the majority remains firm, there's little that they can substantively do.

I don't believe that the House can conduct any business until it has a Speaker.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

iospace posted:

Source?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

http://bendixenandamandi.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Local-Issues-Poll-Oct-2016-WAVE-12.pdf

murphy is running way behind hillary in miami, rubio's probably gonna win

He is such a sad sack, lovely candidate. FL Dems are pathetic.

(Yes, Grayson would have been worse).

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Nessus posted:

I imagine it would instead end in nothing whatever when the Freedom Caucus immediately ratfucks that guy hard and fast, whoever it is. Alternately, they simply and completely refuse to compromise on anything at all. What happens if the House doesn't get a Speaker at all?

Give Tim Kaine a third job.*

*Yeah I know it doesn't work like that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

QuoProQuid posted:

If I am reading the article right, the idea behind all three scenarios is that moderate Democrats and moderate Republicans would unite to support order. The Freedom Caucus might groan and complain, but so long as the majority remains firm, there's little that they can substantively do.

I don't believe that the House can conduct any business until it has a Speaker.
This requires Republicans to show courage to defy a possible primary challenge, though I guess if there's only an eight seat difference between the parties, say, they might be able to find eight or nine Republicans. (Or turn them :getin:)

What does happen if the House can't conduct any business due to that, though?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Maddow. But it was his dad and Donald was present and agreed with his dad according to a rental officer.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

The saddest turtle.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Cthulhumatic posted:

Give Tim Kaine a third job.*

*Yeah I know it doesn't work like that.

I mean there's no constitutional reason it couldn't work like that, as far as I am aware. :v:

e: assuming they voted him Speaker, not just if no Speaker was chosen

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Doesn't matter unless you got audio of it

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

iospace posted:

wow, this will be huge for trumps african american
e: do you really think anyone voting for him, at this point, will care? maybe he'd lose like 2% if he said it live at a rally on camera but I wouldn't bet on it.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 26, 2016

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yea, the rule is no audio or video, no play

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Night10194 posted:

:lol:

This is going to be good.

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/791028668042805249

quote:

If I'm Evan McMullin, I call Reince and ask if he needs a presidential candidate to help him raise money.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

In a hypothetical situation where the GOP's margin is trimmed to like 5 votes out of 435, the Dems only need to find a handful of GOP moderates and they can then ignore the Freedom caucus. There's got to be at least 6 republicans who are planning to retire in 2 years.

edit: the house literally doesn't function without a speaker. There has to be a speaker or nothing happens.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, while at first glance it may be a nothingburger, it does tie into the whole class action thing Clinton brought up at the first debate.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Poor sad turtle man.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Northjayhawk posted:

In a hypothetical situation where the GOP's margin is trimmed to like 5 votes out of 435, the Dems only need to find a handful of GOP moderates and they can then ignore the Freedom caucus. There's got to be at least 6 republicans who are planning to retire in 2 years.

edit: the house literally doesn't function without a speaker. There has to be a speaker or nothing happens.
Yeah, I'm just asking this because I fully expect the Republican deplorables in the House to enter a state of complete and utter apeshit insanity, ruled by the dark ghosts unleashed from Gorilla Hell by the breaching of their boundaries by the Gorilla savior, Harambe. Since I also expect the other Republicans to be complete cowards, I was just wondering: What DOES happen then?

Maybe George Soros can provide some guarantees.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Nessus posted:

This requires Republicans to show courage to defy a possible primary challenge, though I guess if there's only an eight seat difference between the parties, say, they might be able to find eight or nine Republicans. (Or turn them :getin:)

What does happen if the House can't conduct any business due to that, though?

It means that the House is stuck voting for a Speaker until it achieves a majority. In 1855, the House was trapped in a cycle of balloting for two months because members could not agree on a Speaker. Government would still function but the entire legislature would be effectively shut down.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Poor sad turtle man.

He should crawl back into the sea from whence he came. The US Senate is no place for servants of the Old Ones. :colbert:

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

awesmoe posted:

e: do you really think anyone voting for him, at this point, will care? maybe he'd lose like 2% if he said it live at a rally on camera but I wouldn't bet on it.

He didn't even say it, his dad did (Telling a realtor "We don't rent to them") and Cheeto just nodded like "Darn tootin'".

Only way this turns into anything is if Cheeto feels obligated to bring it up in which case it's good for half a news cycle.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

Freedom Caucus is ~ 10% of the chamber. If Democrats are onboard with someone who gets the House back to working order (and if they get the Senate, they absolutely will be), the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast cannot do anything meaningful to gum up the works. Especially if the Speaker is unelected and can't be threatened with a 2018 primary.

So long as the Republicans hold the house by a number less than the number of members in the Freedom Caucus, they'll either have to find a consensus candidate from within the party (with multiple factions who are.... compromise averse) or get Democratic support.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

Yeah, I'm just asking this because I fully expect the Republican deplorables in the House to enter a state of complete and utter apeshit insanity, ruled by the dark ghosts unleashed from Gorilla Hell by the breaching of their boundaries by the Gorilla savior, Harambe. Since I also expect the other Republicans to be complete cowards, I was just wondering: What DOES happen then?

Maybe George Soros can provide some guarantees.

If they can't elect a speaker and no one defects, then the house is shut down and can't pass poo poo until they do elect a speaker. At some point I guess the threat of a government shutdown and/or a default will make them agree on a compromise speaker, who may or may not survive the full 2 years.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sensible Thursday posted:

He didn't even say it, his dad did (Telling a realtor "We don't rent to them") and Cheeto just nodded like "Darn tootin'".

Only way this turns into anything is if Cheeto feels obligated to bring it up in which case it's good for half a news cycle.

If he does bring it up, it's going to cause a scramble for more stuff like this, just like the Machado incident.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Geoff Peterson posted:

Freedom Caucus is ~ 10% of the chamber. If Democrats are onboard with someone who gets the House back to working order (and if they get the Senate, they absolutely will be), the Tortilla Caucus cannot do anything meaningful to gum up the works. Especially if the Speaker is unelected and can't be threatened with a 2018 primary.

So long as the Republicans hold the house by a number less than the number of members in the Freedom Caucus, they'll either have to find a consensus candidate from within the party (with multiple factions who are.... compromise averse) or get Democratic support.
Right, I just mean like, it is hard for me to concieve that the Republicans somehow decide to work with Democrats at this point. They would all be in greater fear of being primaried out of their seats than a Russian invasion or whatever. Do they still follow the rule named after the child molester?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

awesmoe posted:

I'm with you. While I think him being a racist is pretty despicable, it's honestly way below the whole multiple rapes/sex assaults thing. If you're willing to give the guy a pass for allegedly assault a literal dozen women, you are going to brush off him allegedly using a slur.

FAKE EDIT: This does give me a good idea for the next thread title. USPOL November: A second twelfth claim has hit Trump Tower

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

maybe want to hang around the mediaite front page for when a clip of this comes up :allears:

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/791088244200841216

https://twitter.com/stephenfhayes/status/791089141614309376

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

Right, I just mean like, it is hard for me to concieve that the Republicans somehow decide to work with Democrats at this point. They would all be in greater fear of being primaried out of their seats than a Russian invasion or whatever. Do they still follow the rule named after the child molester?

There is a decent sized chunk of republicans who are not crazy and want to just vote everything up or down with amendments, etc. But they dare not speak up or they'll get primaried. When the GOP's margin is 30+, there's no point in rebelling because you'll just die alone on your hill.

Everything changes when the margin is like 5 votes. At that point out of over a couple hundred people, there have got to be a few GOP moderates who are free of the fear of being primaried because they were going to retire in 2018 anyway, and they can support a moderate candidate to get the house working.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Josef bugman posted:

I think the CA republicans are probably a bit like what I've seen you guys say the Florida dems are like. Deeply and possibly terminally incompetent.

Oh, like Texas Dems (at a state level).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Geoff Peterson posted:

Freedom Caucus is ~ 10% of the chamber. If Democrats are onboard with someone who gets the House back to working order (and if they get the Senate, they absolutely will be), the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast cannot do anything meaningful to gum up the works. Especially if the Speaker is unelected and can't be threatened with a 2018 primary.

Admittedly, the Freedom Caucus's strength is less in their numbers and more in their ability to rally the base and strike the fear of God into their fellow members. If it really came down to a duel, the Freedom Caucus's threat would be to encourage primary challengers and drown out rational discourse on cable news. If the hard right is able to seize control of the RNC post-Trump, it might even threaten to pull funding from members who refuse to support the "conservative agenda."

That said, the Freedom Caucus is not an organized group. I don't expect them to do much successful scheming except in an absolute worst case scenario. Remember that their attempt to coup Boehner is 2012 was undone because a member was caught whipping votes on his iPad by the press.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FuturePastNow posted:

Hi, if you're an American working abroad and you pay taxes to both the US and the country you live in and you're not getting a credit from one of them for the taxes paid to the other, you should probably pay someone who knows how to do taxes to do your taxes.

Depends on the country, but, you know, global hegemon.

My most first hand knowledge is Sri Lanka, which is almost as close to drilling a hole through the planet as you get.

Edit: I am wrong, I would personally emerge closer to Australia

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 26, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Night10194 posted:

House requires a massive 10+ point blowout and some luck even then.

Things are looking good for the blow out with Hillary in the high single digits in the national polls and likely to pick up a few extra points between GOTV superiority and Republican depression.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

so what is the actual impact for this two weeks from election day? it seems like anything you'd want to spend money on except for ads (and i have no idea how much ads in the last two weeks actually matter) would have a ton of lead time so i don't really see why this is a big deal when it comes to possible election results

thread moves too fast so i don't know if this was talked about already but what exactly is going on with florida early voting stats so far? dems are doing way worse than 2012 even though hillary is supposedly winning by more than obama was and trump's supposed to have no field operation so what gives?

https://countyballotfiles.elections.myflorida.com/FVRSCountyBallotReports/AbsenteeEarlyVotingReports/PublicStats

There's lots of things a little extra cash can get you in the last weeks. Emergency ads, picking up extra staff/extending their hours, paying for number crunching, paying for the mechanics of getting out the vote beyond your previous budget, holding more events, springing for food and other "freebies" to entice volunteers to work more, and I'm sure a million other things that each help just a little bit.

As for Florida, Democrats are currently killing it compared to both 2012 and 2008. Obviously we'll have to wait and see what happens on election day, but they're doing better than they've ever done before, by a lot, in absentee balloting and early voting looks to be up over 2012. Remember that usually the Republicans lead in Absentee Ballots by a little(3ish points in 2012) to a lot(12ish points in 2008) and then the Democrats turn in more In Person Early Votes. Generally more than half of all vote in Florida are cast before the actual day of the Election, and the two parties fight it out on Election Day to find out if the Republican lead going in is enough to carry the day.

As of the start of In Person Early Voting, Republicans were up 5,800 Absentee Ballots, which is a crazy low lead and Democrats had actually lead in the Absentee Ballot count earlier last week. Also the two parties are at more or less parity in total Absentee Ballots requested. Given the demographics of Florida, GOTV is less important for Republicans when it comes to Absentee Ballots than In Person Early Voting and Election Day Voting. The more Democrats who vote early the worse it is for the Republicans because the Democrats have a well funded and well run GOTV effort that is set up to catch who hasn't voted yet and focus efforts on getting them to vote. Republican efforts work similarly but they're drastically less funded and manned this cycle and the enthusiasm gap is in the Democrats' favor. Also everyone thinks Hillary is going to win anyway, so Democrats are encouraged to vote for the winner while Trumpites need to psych themselves up to overcome whatever hurdles and time sinks are in their way to go vote for the loser.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are probably some moderate Republicans who are safe from being primaried, too. Like, while on the whole it's been bad for Republicans, I don't think a Tea Party revolt would have much success here in California due to how our primaries work, so one of the less-crazy ones (like Valadao, who's already reached across the aisle a few times and outright broke with the party on things like immigration reform) could probably defect fairly safely. Maybe; I could be misreading things horribly, mind. Any other Cali goons think one of ours would go rogue in such a scenario, or am I dumb here?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

emdash posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-highlights-idUSKCN12P2S1?mod=related&channelName=politicsNews

Trump now saying Obama should be investigated for what he knew about E-MAILS

also says HRC will start WW3 in Syria :shobon:

Elizabeth Mails and Ben Ghazi

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

ManlyGrunting posted:

I would recommend checking his twitter right this second, he is in full meltdown "I'm not owned!" mode and it's amazing. We should have a list of people to watch in the OP or something.

I'm starting to put together a 2016 Twitter list equivalent of "Republican Tears" for anyone interested:

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/lists/corncobs

Currently made up of Scott Adams, Mike Cernovich, James Woods, Sean Hannity, and Bill Mitchell. Debating whether or not to add Trump himself to it. Anyone else that needs to be added, let me know.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RVqTfIKGbU

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Ballz posted:

I'm starting to put together a 2016 Twitter list equivalent of "Republican Tears" for anyone interested:

Currently made up of Scott Adams, Mike Cernovich, James Woods, Sean Hannity, and Bill Mitchell. Debating whether or not to add Trump himself to it. Anyone else that needs to be added, let me know.

Might as well add @Wikileaks at this point.

...does Vladimir Putin have a twitter?

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

I've got to imagine most of the surviving establishment Republicans live in fear of what would happen if Gohmert or his ilk got the gavel (and with it, committee assignments and all other manners of power). Can you find (I'm guessing) ten or so to vote with the Democrats to put a retired, respectable Republican Moderate in the chair? I'd imagine you could. Especially if it's someone with sway in a specific state-a GOPversion of Bayh for instance.

QuoProQuid posted:

Admittedly, the Freedom Caucus's strength is less in their numbers and more in their ability to rally the base and strike the fear of God into their fellow members. If it really came down to a duel, the Freedom Caucus's threat would be to encourage primary challengers and drown out rational discourse on cable news. If the hard right is able to seize control of the RNC post-Trump, it might even threaten to pull funding from members who refuse to support the "conservative agenda."

That said, the Freedom Caucus is not an organized group. I don't expect them to do much successful scheming except in an absolute worst case scenario. Remember that their attempt to coup Boehner is 2012 was undone because a member was caught whipping votes on his iPad by the press.

Huge "if" on the hard right getting control over the RNC... tough to see them walking away from Establishment money. Especially if Trump's going to split the conservative media. The Caucus' disorganization is more as it comes to working towards a unified goal. They're drat organized as it comes to obstructing things, for exactly the reason you say the party is terrified of them. Any reason Ryan has to fear them is felt 100x over by the members within the movement.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/791039099721306113

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ballz posted:

I will carefully redirect any tears from Mike Cernovich to an emergency bottle for moments I am feeling especially sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I don't know if it's come up in this thread yet but here's Deep Drumpf, a twitterbot that tries to autogenerate Trump's tweets.
https://twitter.com/DeepDrumpf/status/788932825751887873

Beautiful.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 26, 2016

• Locked thread