Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

2spooky4me posted:

lol yep that's it you've cracked the code of "explorer passenger missions use the exploration mechanic as it's been in game since launch"

good job, buddy :thumbsup:

Frontier please reduce all mission rewards and bounties by 90%, I miss people no-poo poo crying because they couldn't afford to refuel their T6 let alone pay for the rebuy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Surprised they haven't reduced hauling community goal payouts into the low 7 figures.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
don't get scanned carrying a criminal passenger :laffo:

>pulls level on 20m Cr rebuy :cripes:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The new voiced training missions are actually pretty slick. They could definitely do some X3 style scripted campaign missions in a similar way if they were so inclined.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Good Dumplings posted:

Frontier please reduce all mission rewards and bounties by 90%, I miss people no-poo poo crying because they couldn't afford to refuel their T6 let alone pay for the rebuy.

I played since gamma, and having 500 CR bounty per ship sucked. Elite is in a good place now with a more engineer focused grind. A rated ship doesn't mean anything now.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

2spooky4me posted:

don't get scanned carrying a criminal passenger :laffo:

>pulls level on 20m Cr rebuy :cripes:

I dodged a scan with a criminal just because I remember reading on the mission board that it'd decrease the passenger's happiness. Glad to know I dodged a bullet!

Thank you for your sacrifice.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
yes...

Yes...

YAAAAASSSSEEEEE :kheldragar:

So glad I beat the patch: it took about a dozen more data deliveries today to get the last bit after 99% I left from last night (was getting 1% every two missions last night). Sorry new players: back to Eve-quality timescales for new ships!

2spooky4me posted:

What's that website that lets you look engineer blueprints and track what you need to collect?

Inara is great if you need a list of which components you are looking for, but if you are putting together a particular build, I would recommend this site which lets you count how many of each mod you want to make, then totals up the mat numbers you need.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hoooo Leeeee Shiiiiiiiiiiit you guys....

The game keeps your destination plotted between program exits! You just have to re-enter the galaxy map!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

yes...

Yes...

YAAAAASSSSEEEEE :kheldragar:

So glad I beat the patch: it took about a dozen more data deliveries today to get the last bit after 99% I left from last night (was getting 1% every two missions last night). Sorry new players: back to Eve-quality timescales for new ships!

Inara is great if you need a list of which components you are looking for, but if you are putting together a particular build, I would recommend this site which lets you count how many of each mod you want to make, then totals up the mat numbers you need.

Congrats, the jump range is poop but I love that thing.

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I hate the designers of this game so much right now

hakimashou posted:

Elite Dangerous: Horizons - It's still not impossible, just painfully boring

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

lots of good qol updates in this patch.

see you later brown dwarfs and t-tauri stars! :fuckoff:

e: that said it seems your crew do not survive ejection when your ship explodes rip in piss

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 26, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

2spooky4me posted:

e: that said it seems your crew do not survive ejection when your ship explodes rip in piss

They do, according to the designers they just decide they're never working for you again. Such is life on the :frontear:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

PSA for anyone running Elite on windows 7:

There's a glitch in 2.2 where once you launch the game, it mutes all other sounds from your computer, so you can't listen to music or watch movies or whatever. But you can fix it by changing your sound card's sample rate to 48kHz (and possibly 96kHz too, but i haven't tried it).

lol :frontear:

Other than that, 2.2 is looking good so far :getin:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Man the days of making millions and getting rep are over. I lament the... oh, wait, nevermind. We're good again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think back in the day I spent 10-20 million or so in bribery to make Admiral in the federation.

Anyone grinding faction rank now should probably just give up.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Rah! posted:

There's a glitch in 2.2 where once you launch the game, it mutes all other sounds from your computer, so you can't listen to music or watch movies or whatever. But you can fix it by changing your sound card's sample rate to 48kHz (and possibly 96kHz too, but i haven't tried it).

I want to blame this on Frontier but the The Division patch that also hit today has this exact same bug so I want to say the bug involves some licensed third-party sound... thing (I have no clue what to call it).

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Arach posted:

Patch Notes (cont...) (2/3)
- When hyperspacing to a star with jet cones, avoid potential danger regions at the poles

I have a strange desire to take CMDR Struggle Snuggle back out into the yawning abyss.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Man I need that dolphin. My passengers need WINDOWS

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Insert name here posted:

I want to blame this on Frontier but the The Division patch that also hit today has this exact same bug so I want to say the bug involves some licensed third-party sound... thing (I have no clue what to call it).
Middleware is the word you're looking for. I want to say they both use fmod, but I'm not 100% on that.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

Blanket nerfing all deliveries including mailman missions and all the other hauling missions that didn't pay well to begin with is piss poor. Sorry newbies I hope there's another good way to earn money for a bigger ship/better Sidewinder modules now. Also rep grinds - not only do you get gently caress all rep now, but you also don't get money out of mailman missions :woop:
Good god why

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Probably the easiest way for a new player to make money now, assuming they have a ship capable of carrying an SRV, are those semi-illegal "kill these rear end in a top hat's skimmers for 2 mil" missions.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I wish there was an easier way of identifying systems that, when they have a kill pirates in system mission, always send you to the same system so you can just do 20 of em simultaneously.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rah! posted:

Luckily not on all computers: My old Win7-Box ran pretty fine. I've played for about an hour yesterday while listening to a pod cast and no muting for me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Probably the easiest way for a new player to make money now, assuming they have a ship capable of carrying an SRV, are those semi-illegal "kill these rear end in a top hat's skimmers for 2 mil" missions.

Well the Sidewinder can carry an SRV and if you start a new character you can pick a "Horizons Sidewinder" which comes with one :v:

Serious talk though, how are those skimmer missions? I haven't spent more than five minutes in an SRV and I'm not very comfortable with E:D combat in general.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

It tells you where to go. If the mission lists an outpost with more than one + dont take it. You land next to the outpost then shoot the skimmers and reload the game until you have the required number.

It takes like 10 minutes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Can't you still just bomb the skimmers from a safe altitude with dumbfires? Don't even need an SRV. That's how I started my imperial grind, bombing skimmers in my jump range fit hauler. :v:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

No because not enough skimmers spawn. Reloading would place you in orbit. Also skimmers are piss easy to kill as long as you are at a normal or single + outppst.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Can't you still just bomb the skimmers from a safe altitude with dumbfires? Don't even need an SRV. That's how I started my imperial grind, bombing skimmers in my jump range fit hauler. :v:

I was reading about how they fixed this nasty exploit a while ago. You cheater!

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

Man the days of making millions and getting rep are over. I lament the... oh, wait, nevermind. We're good again.

Copy/pasta?

Can't see Reddit @ work.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
So, any special tricks to know what kind of fighters a station sells? In empire space now and i want to get a Taipan but the only fighters i can find are the emipre ones

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

a redditor posted:

So I was bumming around the galaxy and stumbled across a curious little backwater in Arietis Sector CQ-Y D60, right next to Piriti. Initially I was looking for federal systems at war so I could try stacking massacre missions. I found very few of those, and the war has since ended, but I did find something else.
A fuckton of skimmer massacre missions. I waited until the update to see if this spot would remain viable, and it seems to be unchanged. Just scan the system to see the map and head to Cochrane Works on planet B 5. The factions here seem to hate each other, and are offering millions to harass each other on the same planet. And two of those factions are Federal, so enjoy the rank. In a few days of casual playing (one or two stacks of missions a day) I completed the final rank to hit Rear Admiral, and made enough credits to buy the corvette. (RIP Sothis) Also received modular terminals and other engineer commodities.
I should note that these missions can send you to three possible locations, but I recommend Kent's Inheritance or Nobel's Inheritance. Harding Vision isn't worth the trouble, they will shoot you down.
Kent's Inheritance is basically a shed in the middle of nowhere. It spawns four skimmers at a time, two of them shielded. I put a beam laser on my Eagle to strip the shields before blowing them away, but more missiles will do the job as well. Unfortunately you will need to relog to get more skimmers to spawn. But the outpost is owned by an anarchy so you can just park your ship right on their lawn before logging. No bounties and no retribution!
If you don't mind racking up a bounty Nobel's Inheritance is pretty easy, but they do have air defense turrets on a rooftop. However, on this same rooftop is the generator that provides power to those turrets. I'm sure it would be terribly tragic if something were to happen to that generator shortly before a mercenary came to destroy their skimmers... Relog to spawn more skimmers, blow the generator again before resuming the carpet bombing, and enjoy the profit.
Edit: it seems I failed to double check the generator thing since the 2.2 update. The turrets will remain active. I recommend sending a sacrificial fighter or SRV if you decide to go here. Or just snipe them with missiles from afar.
If you're getting bored and would like a more novel grinding experience, try your hand at Hillary Keep. Folks here seem to have a burning hatred for pirates. If you take missions against the Silver Mob, the system you are sent to has a HAZ RES near the stations. Unfortunately none of the other factions have a consistent presence there, so you will need to bring an interdictor if you decide to take those missions. It's a lot slower to kill them one by one, but it works and the pay is competitive. And you will avoid the unfortunate issue I had...
It seems the Kill Pirate missions I took against the Silver Mob have made me an unpopular man with them. And, rather hilariously, they're the current owners of Hillary Keep. The same outpost where I got the missions... I'm a hair shy of being hostile with them and I'd like to avoid losing docking privileges there, so I've stopped bounty hunting here. Maybe if we can dethrone the anarchists this place will become viable for high pay bounty hunting. I may have already thrown them into civil unrest which seems to have decreased the number of missions at Hillary...
Let me know if anyone find this system to be helpful. It helped me out, but the other popular locations are probably better.

Here you go.

I'm actually enjoying 2.2. I was learning how to use SRV rader last night, mined my first nodes, came upon some smuggler cache and a crashed ship with data in it. Killed a bunch of wanted skimmers too.

Also, does anyone know if the time limit on the exploration tourist / scientist missions are just to get to the destination or if it's to get there and back?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/300817-WARNING-WARNING-DONT-USE-STORAGE-AT-ALL

Apparently module storage is corrupting save files for single items now.

Just don't use module storage.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Skimmer kill missions have a fantastic effort/reward as long as you make sure you dont pick one sending you to some insane death fortress.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/300817-WARNING-WARNING-DONT-USE-STORAGE-AT-ALL

:frontear:, never change :allears:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

If I'm not mistaken module storage was never enabled for testing in the current beta, was it? :frontear:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
It was, just no one apparently thought to put 2 shield gens on the same ship

Neither did :frontear:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

It was, just no one apparently thought to put 2 shield gens on the same ship

Neither did :frontear:

According to the post I linked, that guy claims to have just shifted a single shield gen onto a ship with no shield gen and wound up with a corrupted save file.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Are wings hosed for anyone else right now? Trying to group up with my son and we got disconnected a whole bunch of times and now it just won't let either of us send wing invites no matter what mode we switch to. :smith:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Skimmer kill missions have a fantastic effort/reward as long as you make sure you dont pick one sending you to some insane death fortress.

Well, cunning thing is that you don't need to go to the fortress. As long as you're in the area of the fortress and the skimmers are from the right faction, POI skimmers count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

LCL-Dead posted:

According to the post I linked, that guy claims to have just shifted a single shield gen onto a ship with no shield gen and wound up with a corrupted save file.

I thought what you'd linked was the official thread with the unique item warning. :psyduck: it's even worse now

• Locked thread