Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bexar county early votes surpassed yesterday's count. 38.6 K votes today. 74k+ votes in only 2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Shifty Pony posted:

I think a lot of the waits on Austin have to do with people seeing a line and naturally being inclined to stand in it just in case it is a cool new food truck.

In 2014 I went to vote at one of the HEB locations in Austin. The line was about 10 deep. We were waiting for 10+ minutes, 0 people from the line were entering to vote, two women in their late 40s to early 50s were in the front talking about Vietnam, not going in despite several people exiting the door, people told them to go inside, they responded with "nobody has told us to come in. We are waiting." The line was getting angrier while the two women in front wouldn't let anyone past to check. Eventually, people working inside came out and asked why nobody was voting.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

A lovely Reporter posted:

Jesus, why is it so hard to find out what districts you're in? I managed to find it, but that was needlessly difficult.

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Address.aspx

It should also be on your sample ballot from your county registrar.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Why is CapMetro doing this?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

to showcase Austin's pathetic hipsters

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

nikitakhrushchev posted:

To warn newcomers.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

nikitakhrushchev posted:

You're forgetting that like 90% of White Austin looks at this dude and thinks "Look at the interesting and vibrant culture we have, I wish to participate in it" rather than "This city should be given back to nature"

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

skipdogg posted:

Bexar county early votes surpassed yesterday's count. 38.6 K votes today. 74k+ votes in only 2 days.
This checks, because I can confirm that we had to wait in line to vote today, what the gently caress is this sorcery? (Family voting rules, by the way.)

+3 votes for Dread Abuela in Bexar, and all the other downballot races.

Also Joaquin Castro had no Republican opponent, just a Libertarian and a Green. Given how much Republicans control Texas, it's hilarious they can't even find a sacrificial lamb to run against him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

+1 for Hillary and the other downballot dems from me today.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Spacebump posted:

In 2014 I went to vote at one of the HEB locations in Austin. The line was about 10 deep. We were waiting for 10+ minutes, 0 people from the line were entering to vote, two women in their late 40s to early 50s were in the front talking about Vietnam, not going in despite several people exiting the door, people told them to go inside, they responded with "nobody has told us to come in. We are waiting." The line was getting angrier while the two women in front wouldn't let anyone past to check. Eventually, people working inside came out and asked why nobody was voting.

"Women" "Late 40s to early 50s" "wouldn't let anyone past to check"

Clearly no libertarians were in that line. Or men.

I'd planned to continue my lifelong tradition of never voting, but the wife made me register earlier this year, and now this thread is making me want to vote Trump.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Bushiz posted:

You're forgetting that like 90% of White Austin looks at this dude and thinks "Look at the interesting and vibrant culture we have, I wish to participate in it" rather than "This city should be given back to nature"

Ever since the great Californian migration started happening Austin has gone from a "small town" with a quirky culture to a bunch of idiot hipsters and closet republicans/libertarians pretending to be liberals. If any of these people actually cared about liberal politics we would have better public transportation, better support for the homeless population, and protections for people who might lose their homes due to gentrification. Instead its a bunch of NIMBYS and FYGM assholes who want to live in the predominantly white side of town while "vacationing" over at the east side's "cool hip new bar scene." Just look what happened to Rainey street in the course of 5 years. Now Lustre Pearl has moved way out to Cesar Chavez and Pleasant Valley to start the process all over again. And while I love a quiet, chill bar. There is no way that area stays a quiet little neighborhood with a bar attached.

All the cool crazy things that Austin was "known for" back in the day have either packed up and moved to Dallas/Houston, or just no longer exist.

Edit: Forgot to mention that everyone is a real estate flipper, which drives up the cost of housing even more than all the people moving here on a daily basis. Nevermind that house flipping is just a means of taking affordable, perfectly good (or slightly dated) homes and driving their cost up by doing unneeded renovations. I don't know how anyone can look at a "newly renovated" house and say, "Yes, I would love to pay you a 50,000 profit on 5,000-10,000 worth of renovations I could have done myself."

Edit 2: Yeah I guess I'm ranting...but we will build a wall and make California pay for it.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 26, 2016

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rabble posted:

Ever since the great Californian migration started happening Austin has gone from a "small town" with a quirky culture to a bunch of idiot hipsters and closet republicans/libertarians pretending to be liberals. If any of these people actually cared about liberal politics we would have better public transportation, better support for the homeless population, and protections for people who might lose their homes due to gentrification. Instead its a bunch of NIMBYS and FYGM assholes who want to live in the predominantly white side of town while "vacationing" over at the east side's "cool hip new bar scene." Just look what happened to Rainey street in the course of 5 years. Now Lustre Pearl has moved way out to Cesar Chavez and Pleasant Valley to start the process all over again. And while I love a quiet, chill bar. There is no way that area stays a quiet little neighborhood with a bar attached.

All the cool crazy things that Austin was "known for" back in the day have either packed up and moved to Dallas/Houston, or just no longer exist.

I hate Californians as much as the next Texan but 1) lol and 2) Austin has always been full of NIMBYs

The city is changing because people want to live here and the old configuration of how it was set up could not hold all those people. Unless you want to build a wall to stop people from coming in, some neighborhoods are going to get more dense.

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 26, 2016

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Another +16 here for Trump (myself, the old lady, my sugar baby, my sugar baby baby daddy, my three kids, my cousins from el paso, my stepfather Jared, my aunt and her three estranged adopted children) in my line there were about sixty, give or take, african american fellas and their purseholders, talking jive smack about that old turkey. A fun experience, and Im glad to be a part of it.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Number Ten Cocks posted:

"Women" "Late 40s to early 50s" "wouldn't let anyone past to check"

Clearly no libertarians were in that line. Or men.

I'd planned to continue my lifelong tradition of never voting, but the wife made me register earlier this year, and now this thread is making me want to vote Trump.

:fuckoff:

Go back to Games

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Welp, looks like the second day of early voting was even heavier than the first.

quote:

Harris County — the largest county in Texas — reported record-breaking voter turnout numbers on Monday and then broke that record on Tuesday.

It wasn't alone.

After a day of long lines and record breaking turnout figures on the first day of early voting in Texas, some counties are reporting even higher voter turnout on the second day, according to media reports and county elections offices. In past presidential elections, voter turnout on the second day of early voting has often stayed about the same as the first day or even dropped off some.

If this keeps up for another day or two, there is going to be some very serious sweat coming from the statewide Republican candidates.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

e_angst posted:

Welp, looks like the second day of early voting was even heavier than the first.

If this keeps up for another day or two, there is going to be some very serious sweat coming from the statewide Republican candidates.

I'm pretty sure there already is. It's just gonna become even more visible as time goes on.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Another vote for Hillary today in Denton. Lots of olds. Mostly women. Also a cute gay boy in line. I mean ... two cute gay boys if you include me.

So really I don't see a significant difference between the big Texas cities, or at least the differences have become less apparent over time. I'm not sure if this is the cities changing, or my own perception of people and the relative (lack of) differences between them from place to place. And the same economic trends in Austin are also occurring in Dallas, Houston, etc.

Though I did notice a lot of friends in Austin (and me) moving elsewhere because these trends are more extreme there. This started happening when we hit our late 20s. The ones who stayed had jobs that tied them to Austin specifically. But there's a Catch 22 where you find yourself paying a premium to enjoy the things Austin has, which means having less money -- or working more hours to make the same money while having less time to enjoy the things you're paying a premium to do -- than living somewhere else.

And the things you're paying a premium for start to have less appeal when you're not 21.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And turns out I'll be in Austin for election day since I'll be in the area for work. Gonna watch the returns with a commie friend who works for an enviro group. Who wants to hit up some insufferable parties downtown? I bet the Tribune has one. If Hillary somehow wins, which I very much doubt, the TX Dem party is gonna go loving NUTS though.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Wikkheiser posted:

And turns out I'll be in Austin for election day since I'll be in the area for work. Gonna watch the returns with a commie friend who works for an enviro group. Who wants to hit up some insufferable parties downtown? I bet the Tribune has one. If Hillary somehow wins, which I very much doubt, the TX Dem party is gonna go loving NUTS though.

Scholtz Garden is going to be a loving madhouse.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I want a really big TV, wireless connectivity and a bottle of wine.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
When I voted on Monday (Harris) very few of the voters were middle-aged+ white guys. All of the ones shout-talking about 'media these days' were though.

By the way, how hosed up is it that we vote on judges, let alone with loving partisan candidates?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Well, drat. I was hoping to squeeze in a vote during my lunch break today, but the line at my local Dallas library branch was out the door. Work is only giving us leave to vote on Election Day.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

45-38

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/new-texas-polls-shows-trump-with-small-but-safe-le/nsx2d/

quote:

In perhaps the most surprising result, Trump had a larger lead with Texas women than with Texas men. Trump led 43 percent to 39 percent with men, and 46 percent to 38 percent with women.

The starkest contrast in support for Trump and Clinton is a generational divide. Clinton is way ahead of Trump — 51 percent to 28 percent — among likely voters 18 to 39 years of age. Trump leads Clinton 48 percent to 35 percent among voters 46 to 64 years old, and he carries voters 65 and older by a whopping 71 percent to 25 percent margin.

“It would appear that in Texas, many moms who are supporting Trump have children supporting Clinton,” Graham said.

Trump is winning white voters by a margin of 57 percent to 25 percent. Johnson receives 8 percent.

Clinton is leading Trump among black voters, 77 percent to 17 percent, and leading among Hispanic voters, 56 percent to 24 percent.

Trumpmoms

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Proof of the generational decline in overt racism.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

17% of African American voters seems pretty weird to me when he's in low single digits elsewhere.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

17% of African American voters seems pretty weird to me when he's in low single digits elsewhere.

It's possible they didn't sample enough black voters to get a good margin of error. Likely Voter Screen is probably another factor too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FBS posted:

Well, drat. I was hoping to squeeze in a vote during my lunch break today, but the line at my local Dallas library branch was out the door. Work is only giving us leave to vote on Election Day.

Some of our early voting locations are open Saturday and Sunday this weekend in Bexar county, maybe they are in your area?

thatdarnedbob posted:

By the way, how hosed up is it that we vote on judges, let alone with loving partisan candidates?

I've always thought it weird that Judges, and Law Enforcement are partisan candidates. I'm for voting on judges though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

skipdogg posted:

I've always thought it weird that Judges, and Law Enforcement are partisan candidates. I'm for voting on judges though.

It's not weird at all! When you've already homogenized the voting population through Jim Crow, a partisan election is the easiest way to legally stack the justice system for the ruling castes

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Badger of Basra posted:

I hate Californians as much as the next Texan but 1) lol and 2) Austin has always been full of NIMBYs

The city is changing because people want to live here and the old configuration of how it was set up could not hold all those people. Unless you want to build a wall to stop people from coming in, some neighborhoods are going to get more dense.

We DO want to build a wall though.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

+2 for Iron Abuela in Harris County between me and the misses

Went really fast, like 10 minutes in and out at the early voting location in Westchase Houston even though we were probably 40-50 deep in line when we got there and the line kept growing

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I voted in my white flight suburb at 8am Tuesday and there was no one else there! Shocking!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I voted in my white flight suburb at 8am Tuesday and there was no one else there! Shocking!

They were all lined up outside a private school in SUVs to drop Hayden and Kayden off

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 27, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Voted at 2pm this afternoon in Pflugerville at the tax office and the line was around the building. About 90 minutes from parking to driving off. There were only like 4 old white guys that I could see, but I was sandwiched between two of them. One of them spent nearly half an hour ranting about private schools having tax exemption on their land, but then railed about entitlement culture.

I don't know wtf.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They were all lined up outside a private school in SUVs to drop Hayden and Kayden off

I live in RRISD, so if you're paying for ac private school and living in the'burbs you're doing it very wrong.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Made my wife vote at 6PM today in Austin, still no line. In/out in like 10 minutes

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Also, I live in Pflugerville. My address reads Pflugerville, 78660. But for some reason I don't get to vote for Pflugerville mayor, or any local seats. I don't get any Austin ones either. Am I in some weird DMZ between Austin and Pflugerville?

I am on the very southwest side, at 35 and 1825.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Doom Rooster posted:

Also, I live in Pflugerville. My address reads Pflugerville, 78660. But for some reason I don't get to vote for Pflugerville mayor, or any local seats. I don't get any Austin ones either. Am I in some weird DMZ between Austin and Pflugerville?

I am on the very southwest side, at 35 and 1825.

Probably out of city limits and mostly in an ETJ like I am.

https://www.austintexas.gov/department/extraterritorial-jurisdiction

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Voting in Steiner Ranch tomorrow. I'm actually hoping the line is long to people-watch.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
In Austin, if you happen to be near the N. Lamar/Braker Ln area, there was no line when I voted today at the supermarket in the Chinatown shopping center there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/791504960533860352

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/791505605361934337

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/791506723315998720