Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
This DLC is incredibly short. Like, really really really short. This is five bucks less than the BB dlc which had at least three times the content.

I'm sure plenty of people are really happy with it, but holy poo poo this is bare bones. I guess they're counting on people starting to give a gently caress about dark souls PVP or something because...yeah.

The weapons are okay, and the bosses are fine, but the area pretty much sucks and there's so little to it that I feel like it easily could have been tacked onto another piece of DLC, charged 20 bucks, and actually been good.

edit: i guess Bare Bones isn't the right word for it since there's a bunch of junk crammed into this tiny area. Underwhelming, I guess is a better term.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Why should I dump 50 points into a stat just to wear Havel's armor when the armor the K***ht starts with is equally as effective hyper-armor-wise. Why even roll a heavy when my 25 vitality dancer's armor character get's just as much hyper-armor using a Claymore as my Havel Claymore character? I await the poo poo storm.

I don't think that's the case, though. Dancer's set has 17.1 poise, Knight has 23.5, and Havel's has 32.75, so Havel's should be able to eat much heavier attacks while in hyper armor frames than the others.

The sort of poise people are asking for would mean that you could tank hits while using the Cancer That is Killing PvP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Platypus Farm posted:

This DLC is incredibly short. Like, really really really short. This is five bucks less than the BB dlc which had at least three times the content.

I'm sure plenty of people are really happy with it, but holy poo poo this is bare bones. I guess they're counting on people starting to give a gently caress about dark souls PVP or something because...yeah.

The weapons are okay, and the bosses are fine, but the area pretty much sucks and there's so little to it that I feel like it easily could have been tacked onto another piece of DLC, charged 20 bucks, and actually been good.

I mean, the PVP is a pretty big draw so if you're not into that of course you're not going to feel you got your money's worth. That said I certainly wouldn't call the DLC short. You can beat it quickly but the areas are pretty large, nicely varied, and pretty drat tough (even if the difficulty is weighted to the beginning for the most part). Nevermind that all of the new weapons are interesting in their own right and add more variety to a playthrough, especially if you go in the DLC as soon as you can.

It still should have been price cheaper; $10 is probably a more fitting price for the content.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Outside bosses I found the hardest part to be the Corvian Settlement by far. Those crow knights do not gently caress around.

Its pretty lame that penultimate part of the DLC is just a bunch of flies though. I get why they are super weak thematically but ending on a room full of them is just sad. Could of had rot infested versions of the other enemies or something.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think Dark Souls PvP was a mistake and I still feel like I got my money's worth :v:

Guess I'm a sucker for Souls content, but I thought the areas were great and the new equipment awesome. The bosses were cool too, but unfortunately they're chaotic enough that they're not something I'm gonna want to attempt early on new characters.

e:

Internet Kraken posted:

Its pretty lame that penultimate part of the DLC is just a bunch of flies though.

yeah I guess that's pretty weird now that I think about it. They had a lot of build-up in other areas, and it felt like the fly area was going somewhere too but then... not.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There really should've been a boss down there guarding the lever

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I think Dark Souls PvP was a mistake and I still feel like I got my money's worth :v:

Guess I'm a sucker for Souls content, but I thought the areas were great and the new equipment awesome. The bosses were cool too, but unfortunately they're chaotic enough that they're not something I'm gonna want to attempt early on new characters.

e:

yeah I guess that's pretty weird now that I think about it. They had a lot of build-up in other areas, and it felt like the fly area was going somewhere too but then... not.

There should have been an illusory wall leading super deep into the ground to a hellish rot-monster superboss.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

There really should've been a boss down there guarding the lever

Genocyber posted:

There should have been an illusory wall leading super deep into the ground to a hellish rot-monster superboss.

Heck yea.

It really felt like they were going somewhere with all the rot. :sigh: I guess it's old hat for people who have played Bloodborne, but I've never gotten the chance to play that so I liked it. Still waiting for playstations to get cheap enough that I can justify buying one just for one game.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Your Computer posted:

e:

Well, to further clarify, I also love souls content. I was really looking forward to the DLC and was just underwhelmed. To me, it felt like some random zone in the middle of Dark Souls 2 that really didn't have much to do with anything. It had some neat equipment and a couple bosses, and that was it. The whole thing just felt really uninteresting to me.

e: and yeah I also have never once cared about PVP in a souls game. So I'm completely open to being flatly wrong about that part.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think that's the case, though. Dancer's set has 17.1 poise, Knight has 23.5, and Havel's has 32.75, so Havel's should be able to eat much heavier attacks while in hyper armor frames than the others.

The sort of poise people are asking for would mean that you could tank hits while using the Cancer That is Killing PvP.

but isn't pvp right now just use estoc, win? I'm not saying either is better.

Edit: I'm not necessarily saying what we have now is any better or worse I just always thought the ds1 poise system was a really cool mechanic, then again I really don't care about PvP.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 26, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Genocyber posted:

I'm really hoping the second DLC is going to have something insane as a surprise. Just as a complete bonus, outside of the actual DLC content. Just throw in some kind of secret ultra souls bonus boss.

Anyway, I forgot how hilariously easy Ocieros was. It's like the original sif fight if sif was even more inept at hitting you between his legs.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I do appreciate that the pvp unlock boss is of course an extended riff on both Artorius and Ornstein. Has a lion motif on his shield, is guarding a grave with a sword and has a big wolf friend.

Also after you beat Blackflame Freide there's a rotting scaly dragon(?) tail at the back of the room in a little alcove, it looks roughly the right size to be a reference to Priscilla.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 26, 2016

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
Does anything exciting happen if you murder all the npcs this time 'round? (i.e. Gael, the guy behind you when you first zone in to the dlc, the crow guy in the house, the little painter girl)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

Heck yea.

It really felt like they were going somewhere with all the rot. :sigh:

I mean, thematically the point is that the rot doesn't make stuff dangerous. Its decay; everything breaking down into lovely broken things. If you think about it, all the rot monsters are really weak and pathetic. The rot itself doesn't harm you directly either. Its meant to be a parallel to an undead going hollow. There's a reason the brid guy refers to it as "timidly rotting away". The most dangerous inhabitants of the painting are the ones least affected by the rot; namely Friede, who is the reason the painting hasn't been burnt in the first place.

HOWEVER we've seen so much realistic decay over this series I really don't give a poo poo about this theme. They should of just went crazy with the rot and had it turn the painting into a really twisted place. Like, as you progress further in the world itself is falling apart and everything just becomes twisted. I thought it would be cool if the final area was a barely formed part of the painting, like the fading edges of a long brush stroke. But I didn't expect anything like that, because this is another DS1 reference, and in DS1 there was nothing like that so why would there be here?

buildmorefarms posted:

Does anything exciting happen if you murder all the npcs this time 'round? (i.e. Gael, the guy behind you when you first zone in to the dlc, the crow guy in the house, the little painter girl)

If you murder crow man before beating the boss you miss out on a slab. That's it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord_Magmar posted:

I do appreciate that the pvp unlock boss is of course an extended riff on both Artorius and Ornstein. Has a lion motif on his shield, is guarding a grave with a sword and has a big wolf friend.

Also after you beat Blackflame Freide there's a rotting scaly dragon(?) tail at the back of the room in a little alcove, it looks roughly the right size to be a reference to Priscilla.

Speaking of which, I found the one illusory wall, where's the second? I beat the dlc but I'm not sure where it'd be.

Also, Friede is a real cool fight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

But I didn't expect anything like that, because this is another DS1 reference, and in DS1 there was nothing like that so why would there be here?

Yeah, this is my only problem with the DLC probably.

There were tons of "HEY REMEMBER THIS PART OF DS1? WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE?" moments, like the crank in the aforementioned fly room. I blame all the people who are still mad that DS2 wasn't a reskinned DS1 :colbert:

I agree with you on the rot by the way, and I meant "going somewhere" more as in "getting to an increasingly hosed up area" rather than necessarily a boss fight. I figured we'd be going deeper instead of just going up the stairs and ending back up at the chapel.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Early Arena Findings:

HyperArmor and High Latency = I lose

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of which, I found the one illusory wall, where's the second? I beat the dlc but I'm not sure where it'd be.

Also, Friede is a real cool fight.

From memory the only illusory walls are both "in" the fly/corpse pit

The first is the extremely obvious way back out, which takes you from the bottom floor back up to the top floor, and the second is on the bottom floor (again with the obvious archway frame), which takes you out to the roots & mad npc invasion, to the copy-pasted crossbreed boss fight area above the pvp boss

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

but isn't pvp right now just use estoc, win? I'm not saying either is better.

No? Even in its heyday there was better stuff and it/all rapiers have been nerfed to simply be good.

Nuebot posted:

I'm really hoping the second DLC is going to have something insane as a surprise. Just as a complete bonus, outside of the actual DLC content. Just throw in some kind of secret ultra souls bonus boss.

Maybe we'll fight the Abyss Dragon mentioned in the Millwood Greatbow's description.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, this is my only problem with the DLC probably.

There were tons of "HEY REMEMBER THIS PART OF DS1? WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE?" moments, like the crank in the aforementioned fly room. I blame all the people who are still mad that DS2 wasn't a reskinned DS1 :colbert:

I agree with you on the rot by the way, and I meant "going somewhere" more as in "getting to an increasingly hosed up area" rather than necessarily a boss fight. I figured we'd be going deeper instead of just going up the stairs and ending back up at the chapel.

That's dark souls 3 in general though. "Hey, remember Dark Souls? Remember Demon's Souls? I bet you do." And honestly it kind of makes me appreciate that dark souls 2, inexplicable ornstein appearance aside, just threw its self out like it did.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I groaned out loud when I entered the optional boss and saw it was another loving Artorias reference.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Genocyber posted:

Maybe we'll fight the Abyss Dragon mentioned in the Millwood Greatbow's description.

Christ i loving hope not, extremely unkeen to fight cameraboss version 18

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

buildmorefarms posted:

Christ i loving hope not, extremely unkeen to fight cameraboss version 18

They can design dragon fights that are good to the camera (e.g. Kalameet and Sinh).

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Genocyber posted:

They can design dragon fights that are good to the camera (e.g. Kalameet and Sinh).

They're capable of it, sure
I'd rather not roll the dice

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

No? Even in its heyday there was better stuff and it/all rapiers have been nerfed to simply be good.

I bet it's Kalamut or something. :haw:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I bet it's Kalamut or something. :haw:

I really wish they'd just do a DLC of the poo poo that Vaati wants them to do a dlc of.

The only interesting lore in this series is the poo poo thats been going on for like 6 years now. They should probably just tie up some loose ends to try and make people happy. Even though they won't, and the next DLC will be a very complicated endeavor involving how laddersmith gilligan died.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Kalameet was not good though. It's still probably my second least favorite boss in the first Dark Souls. His attacks were super predictable other than the weird rear end hitboxes on all his fire and it was just a challenge of not getting bored doing the same poo poo over and over again while you whittled his health down.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think Friede is my favorite Souls boss on aesthetics. It's just an amazing spectacle of a fight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Platypus Farm posted:

I really wish they'd just do a DLC of the poo poo that Vaati wants them to do a dlc of.

Same, but only so the lore community would finally shut up about loving Velka.

I used to like that guy's videos, but much like the rest of the community he's become a lot more "THIS IS TOTALLY WHAT IT IS GUYS" and less, y'know.. theory. My biggest pet peeve with the Dark Souls lore community is how much stuff they take as fact (like Solaire being Gwyn's firstborn) and how much they refuse everything else. :sigh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Same, but only so the lore community would finally shut up about loving Velka.

I used to like that guy's videos, but much like the rest of the community he's become a lot more "THIS IS TOTALLY WHAT IT IS GUYS" and less, y'know.. theory. My biggest pet peeve with the Dark Souls lore community is how much stuff they take as fact (like Solaire being Gwyn's firstborn) and how much they refuse everything else. :sigh:

I am so glad they introduced the nameless king guy, I hope it made some people really mad. Definitely agree on the general attitude though, doubly so when the game first released and half a dozen people were eagerly posting weird little secrets and details they found. Then like a week later the lore video guys all had their big "TEN COOL SECRETS I PERSONALLY FOUND IN DARK SOULS THREE" and basically just read the various reddit posts word for word. Which is weird because in his earlier episodes the guy would credit people who made discoveries or corrected his info. But then all the later ones I watched he acted like he, personally, made every interesting discovery or lore theory rather than it being a communal effort. I guess I'm just disappointed the way personalities took over the whole thing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This DLC didn't even tie up all the Painted World lose ends. Its still not clear if Aldrich is the reason the original Painted World is gone. When I read the item description mentioning Sulyvahn I thought it would expand more on him, but its just that one item.

I've given up on anything really being explained. The only thing the second DLC will have for sure is the last sister of the Sable Church, but that was never really had questions about.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I really liked the DLC and thought it was a decent chunk of content. Thought it was a neat little contained story, although there are definitely lingering questions. Agreed that there should have been a another illusory wall leading to a hideous rot monster of some kind. Am I the only one thinking Father "Ariandel" is actually Allfather Lloyd or something, presumably deceived by Friede? And that's supposed to be the mcguffin from DS1, right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just started the dlc and it's cool so far. getting the greatbow was a bit of a nightmare tho; I died once because I tried to fight them all with no health vials and didn't realize I was one hit from death on the last one, rip. second time I just took it and ran away lol. the first time through the area with the wolves was intense

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i feel like the people posting first impressions really over-sold the wolves; they're not a challenge to any meaningful extent. i think the wolves are actually better coded than the zombie dogs that plague the base game, because at least the wolf animations seem to match their hit boxes, and they don't have janky damage cones that somehow hurt you when they're facing away from you and on a different vertical plane. like, the hardest thing about the wolves would be if you just ran right into the middle of the snow forest and stood statue still, or if you ran up the hill slightly towards the church and had to gently caress with wolves and the fire-tree-witches simultaneously. if you take even a few seconds to fight them in the groups of two that they spawn in, and keep pulling them back to a cleared area, there's really nothing dangerous about them.

the big wolf is also a joke, even for melee dudes, as long as you don't engage him in a flat, open part of the map. just use the classic O&S trick of keeping a pillar tree between you and Sif Jr. at all times, and laugh as all his flashy biting combos dead-end into said tree without threatening you in any way. fighting those two crocomire dogs near the hidden aldrich faithful bonfire was way more of a poo poo show.

holy poo poo though the fat vikings are goddamn beasts. they seem to stagger pretty reliably assuming you're weilding something bigger than a RAW rear end, but good luck if you gently caress up your approach and get caught by one of their multi-hit combos before your attack can interrupt them.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Genocyber posted:

Sinh is probably my favorite fight in the series. But also probably the only part of the dlcs I really enjoyed. What made Sinh and Artorious such fun fights for me was the sense of dynamism. They were all over the place. The animations really sold how dangerous and hectic fighting them was.

I hope they'll add a fight that gives me that same excitement to 3 eventually.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I gotta say Ashes of Ariandel was kind of disappointing. The new weapons are okay, the environments are rad, and some of the encounters are cool but it's short and does absolutely nothing for the story of Dark Souls 3. It feels like yet another pile of fan service instead of actually filling in plot gaps or giving us something genuinely new.

It's not that I hated it but it's just the weakest Souls DLC yet and sort of a microcosm of both the good and really bad things about Dark Souls 3. Ugh.

e: a major problem I had with the DLC is how many pointless areas or dead ends there were. That whole side area with the viking tower and wolf slope hell contained nothing but a bow and then dumped out back out onto the main path. Why? They could have at least put a friendly viking up there to HELP ANY TIME

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 26, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to cheese the Crystal Sage?

I'm trying to figure out how quickly I can get to the DLC on a fresh character :madmax:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Well, beat the DLC boss. My thoughts:

Regarding the boss:
Man, maybe my brain is just broken or something, but the timing on her attacks were weird. It felt like the timing could change drastically for the same attack based on distance, so there would a dozen possible variations of dodge timing. I eventually got semi-reliable dodging but she'd still catch me all the time. I ended up beating her by basically rushing her down and then getting the hell away repeatedly. I was using the onyx blade and it was just fast/long enough to pre-empt her out of her own combo, stagger enough to let me get in a second hit and then run away. Worked in the third phase two, just with a whole more running like hell to avoid the constant absurdly wide and fast AoEs. Second phase is easy but boring because if you're unlucky, it can take forever to get good openings since Friede might just spam ice waves to perfectly cover Ariandel.

Regarding some lore stuff:
It was cute that they had different dialogue if you were lord of hollows. Yuria has some interesting stuff to say on the subject to if she's still alive and you go have a chat with her both before and after killing Friede. I felt bad for Ariandel, dude seemed nice for a hulking undead abomination. What I don't get is though, who the heck was that voice at the start of phase 3? I swear it sounded like Aldia... but it's more like Kaathe or something I'd imagine. I agree that it's dissapointing that this DLC doesn't really tie up any lose ends aside from checking one more of the Londor sisters off the list

Regarding weapons:
I need to transfer valorheart to my quality build dude. It looks like a lot of fun! I feel like the only real winners in the DLC were the dual weapons (except the crow talons, which should have been cool but somehow still seem to suffer from the exact same garbage lack of range as the normal claws despite looking bigger, they also had the standard claw moveset) because they were the only ones that got legitimately new movesets. Everything else was pretty much bog standard movesets for their weapon type with an oddball weapon art slapped on. I mean, yeah, the onyx blade weapon art looks really cool and it's an effective greatsword for a pyromancer, but it's just... not that interesting aside from the really rad weapon art animation? They particularly missed an opportunity with Friede's scythe. They COULd have pulled a lot of stuff from her moveset for its normal combos, but nada, exact same scythe combo. Why? Also, the stat scaling on it is weird. A Sorcerer can't afford the dex investment to really make it shine and a dex character is basically dumping whatever points they can spare into int purely for this weapon if they want to use it to full potential. Like, who exactly is it for buildwise?

Edit:

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i feel like the people posting first impressions really over-sold the wolves; they're not a challenge to any meaningful extent. i think the wolves are actually better coded than the zombie dogs that plague the base game, because at least the wolf animations seem to match their hit boxes, and they don't have janky damage cones that somehow hurt you when they're facing away from you and on a different vertical plane. like, the hardest thing about the wolves would be if you just ran right into the middle of the snow forest and stood statue still, or if you ran up the hill slightly towards the church and had to gently caress with wolves and the fire-tree-witches simultaneously. if you take even a few seconds to fight them in the groups of two that they spawn in, and keep pulling them back to a cleared area, there's really nothing dangerous about them.

the big wolf is also a joke, even for melee dudes, as long as you don't engage him in a flat, open part of the map. just use the classic O&S trick of keeping a pillar tree between you and Sif Jr. at all times, and laugh as all his flashy biting combos dead-end into said tree without threatening you in any way. fighting those two crocomire dogs near the hidden aldrich faithful bonfire was way more of a poo poo show.

holy poo poo though the fat vikings are goddamn beasts. they seem to stagger pretty reliably assuming you're weilding something bigger than a RAW rear end, but good luck if you gently caress up your approach and get caught by one of their multi-hit combos before your attack can interrupt them.

The wolves were not difficult, just really, really annoying. Why were there so many???

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 26, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

just started the dlc and it's cool so far. getting the greatbow was a bit of a nightmare tho; I died once because I tried to fight them all with no health vials and didn't realize I was one hit from death on the last one, rip. second time I just took it and ran away lol. the first time through the area with the wolves was intense

If you ever want to just grab that item you can just rub your face against the cliff and jump until you get boosted up. There are at least two other places you can sequence break in this DLC by doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm kind of bummed Viking Hell Hill didn't give you much more than a greatbow my pyromancer can't use since it's a massive pain in the rear end if you're squishy and the environment is an awesome carrot to explore. On the other side I'm glad that I don't have to waste my time there more than I already have.

I found the gravetender and his pupper and managed to take them down with a sunbro, but I haven't found what I'm told is the other boss in the area. I'm inclined to agree with the folks in that the DLC is great to wander in but isn't much more than fanservice - and it seems a bit short, too. It's been a nice diversion, at least.