Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Minrad posted:

That said, Kaan and Seeker fleshed the roster out very well. I think if we get Thorn and possibly another tank or healer (guardian! blood priest!) we'd have a fantastic launch roster for frito.

Pretty sure I read that Thorn is confirmed not being ported. The Paloma ult is a Thorn dude in there and so he's just tied in to her lore now or something. I'd try to dig it up, but :effort:. I think it was a reddit thread.

I played a bunch of Jumong over the weekend. He's... really good. I went 16-4 with him yesterday (and only gained ~60 MMR, but that's a rant for another day) playing a mix of 2s and 3s solo. Black Arrow (space) is 100% the key to his kit. I'd say I use 95% of my weapon charges double casting Black Arrow. It does everything, damage, healing (with the battlerite), iframes, movement. I love it. Steady Shot (RMB) seems not super great - most of the time I'd rather just fire off two LMBs. I wish the range on the trap was a little bit longer, but it has a really long duration and controls space very well. Prowl should almost never be used offensively (it doesn't do very much on its own) and pro tip- in a mirror, never cast your Prowl before the enemy Jumong. It will end badly for you.

But let's talk about Rain of Arrows. This skill is disgustingly good. The cast time is pretty short and the delay before it starts raining arrows is short as well. The snare applies it's full value with the first volley, so even if you catch someone right on the edge they are still going to take a couple volleys and be slowed down to eat some LMBs. Not to mention that it's the second zoning tool in Jumong's kit - you definitely don't have to have someone actually in your traps to make Rain of Arrows be absurd. You can use one to force them in to the other - and you don't really even care if they stand in the arrows or trigger the trap because they are both great for you.

The ex1 is quite good as well. Build some weapon charges very quickly, and 24 damage isn't too bad out of a quick casting ability. Ex2 kind of sucks, I haven't used it much. It's probably better in 3s because I think you need to run through two dudes to make it worth the energy. I would rather see it apply Seeker's Mark for a longer duration or something but I dunno. Basically use all your energy on Rain of Arrows and Ex1, the ult is pretty mediocre too.

For weaknesses, he doesn't really have any glaring ones. I definitely feel most vulnerable at the start of the rounds. The first 3 weapon charges and 25% energy are so, so crucial. Having double Black Arrow and a Rain of Arrows in the hopper means you're going to be really hard to stick to. But really he's very much like the other ranged damage heroes: don't hit counters and don't waste your escapes. If you can do that (I know this is a "don't get hit" piece of advice) then you're golden.

So far I like him a lot and have already been performing better than I did on Varesh. Rain of Arrows probably needs a tweak but I think that's the only thing that really stands out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Khorne posted:

His Q resets weapon charge and shadow bolt, making silence talent own.

Yup.

he does seem not super great in 2v2 though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

MerrMan posted:

For weaknesses, he doesn't really have any glaring ones. I definitely feel most vulnerable at the start of the rounds. The first 3 weapon charges and 25% energy are so, so crucial.

For sure. He feels super vulnerable to dogpiles in 3s, compared to like, Jade, whom can get away with a lot of poo poo thanks to leap. But at the same time, the greater number of bodies makes both his ult and his rain of arrows way stronger, so if he can get protected or get to the mario kart double dash stage of the game, he's great.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Minrad posted:

For sure. He feels super vulnerable to dogpiles in 3s, compared to like, Jade, whom can get away with a lot of poo poo thanks to leap. But at the same time, the greater number of bodies makes both his ult and his rain of arrows way stronger, so if he can get protected or get to the mario kart double dash stage of the game, he's great.

Dunno, I haven't had any problems with being dogpiled in 3s. If you're positioning smart and saving your outs for the right moment, you should be making GBS threads enough damage that no one can afford to try you.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Khorne posted:

His Q resets weapon charge and shadow bolt, making silence talent own.

I tried to figure out this when he was released, but couldn't figure it out. How does the shadow bolt cooldown reset? Nothing happened With the shadow bolt spell for me, unless I picked the battlerite giving 2 charges. Has this been fixed or am I missing something?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

lonter posted:

I tried to figure out this when he was released, but couldn't figure it out. How does the shadow bolt cooldown reset? Nothing happened With the shadow bolt spell for me, unless I picked the battlerite giving 2 charges. Has this been fixed or am I missing something?
Shadow Bolt has a 3s cd or something, if you q then cancel it after getting hit you can cast another shadow bolt long before the 3s cd.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

lonter posted:

I think it's currently bugged and only resets your shadow bolt cd if it charges your weapon. If your weapon I s already charged it does nothing.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Razor exclusive mount giveaway.
https://insider.razerzone.com/index.php?pages%2Fgiveaway%2F&id=battlerite

Pretty simple process. Sign-up for an account install the client. Verify the client and it gives you a Steam key to redeem. After you get the mount just un-install the Razor client.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Its kind of hideous looking tbqh

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Geekslinger posted:

Razor exclusive mount giveaway.

son of a bitch

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pretty lame they're turning the cool streamer only mount a poverty mount, but making a dumber looking version of it exclusive.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
The vibe I got from the earlier announcement is that there won't be any exclusive mounts, just time-gated ones. Don't worry, soon we'll all be able to ride those 1337 g4m3r lizards

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

what're the general thoughts on choosing Varesh vs Ashka?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

AAB posted:

what're the general thoughts on choosing Varesh vs Ashka?

Ashka is a better all-rounder. He has no bad matchups afaik, some really good ones, and has a wide toolbox.
Varesh has more defined strengths and weaknesses. He's a really good long term grind hero because that's where his debuffs and shield and self-healing really shine. His defense is worse in that he has a trance, a shield, and one long cooldown invulnerable teleport that costs meter. I like his tension between keeping his debuffs applied and consuming them with Shatter, and Shatter combos can be pretty gross.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Varesh is/was my main (using Ruh Kaan now that he's not trash) and he takes a lot more finesse and precision to play well, because small mistakes snowball for him very quickly, and he excels at exploiting mistakes and sustaining. But yeah, these things come with a real reliance on not making mistakes or using your cool downs at the wrong times, as his escapes are limited and he can be bursted down really fast. He's extremely good if played well though, and the shatter combos are ridiculous with a good teammate.

Ashka can get away a lot more because of his petrify and two escapes, and can pull out some pretty strong trades with the correct rites and his ex space. He's pretty flexible and can be played very aggressively for the most part.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I like ashka more. He's mobile and has a lot of utility. Varesh sometimes relies too much on having some space from enemies because he doesn't really have things like cc on demand unless you apply judgement first or mobility without spending energy. A lot of his skills are pretty mediocre IMO. E needs to proc debuffs before it's interesting, Q is like the most bizarre skill ever for varesh, ex E is garbo. Pretty much all of ashka's skills are good. Ashka's biggest weakness compared to Varesh is the lack of burst.

Although I feel like both are still weaker than jumong and maybe jade. Both have good burst, cc, mobility, basically the entire package for a ranged dps.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Ashka has actual mobility and does way higher damage to boot.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried playing this game on the Asia servers since I'm closer to those right now and got some rather annoying lag spikes despite having 60ms ping. :smith:

Also the new hunter guy is pretty good from the few games I played with him.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

We are all not calling him Ruh Kaan but instead Ru Paul right?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Muh Kaan

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Picked this up last night because I finally convinced some friends to play it. Spent 5 hours playing without knowing it.

Only really got to play a couple champs because I kept having to switch back to Ashka or we'd lose horribly, but the game is super fun. Supports in general seem super strong, but that's probably just because my friends and I suck. I will say that while the characters themselves are distinct, I don't seem to end up remembering their names like I do with League of Legends. I end up just describing people by general attributes. Fire Guy, Pocket Sand (the hourglass support), "That loving monk".

Hope the game ends up being more popular than Bloodline Champions was, though.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
I'm kind of rotating through characters until I can play them okay, then moving on to the next. I figure really figuring out everyone's movesets will make my life easier when I pick a character or two to really focus on. Croak was my go-to "I wanna actually win" character for a bit; I rotated through a few more and I'm on Oldur now. He strikes me as really strong with great damage on his LMB and a ton of utility vs ranged characters (except for maybe Iva) with his Q and Ex-Q. Not sure who I'll end up with, though.

I'm losing a ton of unranked games playing 2v2s and 3v3s with my horrible friends, but am tearing up solo ranked que 2v2s. Game's got me hooked, like I spend a fair amount of my not gaming time thinking about how to play it better.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I can't see why people would play unranked when the matches tend to be super-lopsided and it's got way more assholes. I rarely have leavers in ranked; meanwhile, in unranked I had 3-4 matches where someone would ragequit. Also assholes like a teammate that would go off on the enemy team and you could tell it was affecting his play because he'd chase that person and die like an idiot.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

I can't see why people would play unranked when the matches tend to be super-lopsided and it's got way more assholes. I rarely have leavers in ranked; meanwhile, in unranked I had 3-4 matches where someone would ragequit. Also assholes like a teammate that would go off on the enemy team and you could tell it was affecting his play because he'd chase that person and die like an idiot.

I imagine you get stupid people in any game. I've only had one guy truly ragequit, and that was when I straight up one-shot him as Fire Guy. Are matches actually less one-sided in Ranked somehow? It seems a lot of the lopsided fights come down to comp rather than skill matchups, barring complete retardation. How are queue times for ranked? Pretty short?

I think I hate seeing people play Croak. He always seems to end up with people leaping around once their teams are dead and generally doing nothing. I can certainly see how he would be good, but man I have never run into anybody that has played him even remotely effectively. What's are proper 2s and 3s comps you'd want to run with him? I usually end up as Support/Tank Bitch when playing with friends, because otherwise we're triple DPS, and I just can't find a good way to make our Croak player not be a piece of poo poo.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Croak is really good at enabling other heroes to land their abilities or burst attacks. Croak + Jade or Croak + Sirius, for example. Being able to incap and then stun a dude for approximately 1 year is huge. Usually see him in 2s since a 2v1 is far more advantageous than a 3v2.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

koolkal posted:

Croak is really good at enabling other heroes to land their abilities or burst attacks. Croak + Jade or Croak + Sirius, for example. Being able to incap and then stun a dude for approximately 1 year is huge. Usually see him in 2s since a 2v1 is far more advantageous than a 3v2.

Okay, so it's just that the people I play with play him fundamentally wrong. Just making sure. They tend to go GOTTA GO FULL BURST, and playing grabass keepaway, so we die and then he's at full health having not CC'd anyone or killed anyone because "I don't have CC, I'm an assassin".

I haven't had a chance to play Croak outside of a couple of tests in vs AI before work, but the one that makes it so you stun coming out of stealth with your left click seems like it would be really good, but my friends don't use it. Is there something better on that tier than a reliable freebie stun?

Comp-U-Shit
Nov 14, 2008
The stun is a default part of his stealth. Your friend is just a baddie. The most powerful thing croak has in his kit is the ex stealth imo. The 3 second incap into another stun is just amazing.

Comp-U-Shit fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 3, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zaodai posted:

Okay, so it's just that the people I play with play him fundamentally wrong. Just making sure. They tend to go GOTTA GO FULL BURST, and playing grabass keepaway, so we die and then he's at full health having not CC'd anyone or killed anyone because "I don't have CC, I'm an assassin".

I haven't had a chance to play Croak outside of a couple of tests in vs AI before work, but the one that makes it so you stun coming out of stealth with your left click seems like it would be really good, but my friends don't use it. Is there something better on that tier than a reliable freebie stun?
The stun is built into the skill. Croak's ex camo is really good, and his ex spit seems really strong too but I could see how at a competitive level with good voice comm it wouldn't be as good as it is in solo queue.

Default rites are extra spit charge, camo move speed, leap heal, toxin slow, and move speed after your ult. Depending on comps you can make some argument for taking something other than leap healing on 3 and something other than toxin slow on 4. Not sure what his 3s build is because no one good plays him in 3s. I don't see why you would with Rook how he is right now. Can not wait for that hero to get nerfed. I've seen decent players take other talents at 2 also, but I personally find the camo move speed boost to be absolutely amazing in almost every game. Also not sure how important second spit charge is with a support. I take it because I'm used to it and it hasn't been an issue.

Croak is a hero of engage, disengage. He's not INSANE DAMAGE 24/7 the hero. He's more about persistence, using abilities to dodge the opponent's abilities or gain a cooldown edge, setting up burst windows to lower max hp, using abilities to get out of combat for a few seconds to let your abilities or your teammate's reset, and not taking a lot of damage while being real drat annoying. I mean there are times you commit and go hard, like if your opponent wastes a cooldown or something else notable happens, but most of the time you're just kinda trying to get them to screw up and building some meter relatively safely.

I personally like switching targets a whole lot and not over committing in general. I'll often use my recast of leap to switch targets if the person I'm on still has cooldowns and hasn't done anything worth using the second charge to dodge with. I also disengage with E a lot early in the round, or use that to switch again if the person I was on just wasted something.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 3, 2016

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
I think the way that Croak is SUPPOSED to be played is full burst and then grabass keepaway. He's got 4 weapon charges, and after he's used those up he attacks real slow and his DPS becomes garbage. Q and Space resets the charges . R gives you 6 charges if you take the right round 3 battlerite. My ideal gameplan is to get within range without using my space (need that to get out), getting those first 4 hits in, invis into a stun, get those next 4 hits in, and then if I've got the battlerite hit R and get my last 6 hits in. That's like 124 dmg not including the extra little bit you're going to get from the R toxin. His E can help keep him in range, and is another 10 dmg I guess. Then I want to space out, either back to my healer to reset or into some other enemy schmuck who's now out of position for 4 attacks and then hopefully Q is coming off cooldown. I like to get the spit charge battlerite to start so that I can mostly heal myself and actually have an option to poke if their positioning is good enough that I have a hard time getting in. Rarely do I get a full combo on any one dude unless I've got a teammate helping me pin them down; either they get away or I get pressured and have to leap out, but if I can get in enough damage to lower their max HP I feel like I've done well. His space being recastable is such a good out that yeah, a lot of the time I'm the last dude alive with decent health. Just kind of seems like how he's played.

And then of course there's EX fuckery to mess with their vision and incap whatever chumps you don't want harassing you for a few seconds. I think that utilizing those real good probably separates the great Croaks from the alright Croaks, but I'm not really there yet.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

A somewhat poorly edited tournament vod, for your consideration. I am the bowman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6EW7CwZ730

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is Foehammer on Battlerite a goon? Just curious.

Also, gently caress that Monk. Completely broken.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaodai posted:

I know a goon named Foehammer007 but not sure if he actually plays BR.

Also I've been playing on the Asia server more. Turns out the lag spikes were a one off thing. :unsmith:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 3, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Key to beating that monk is to let him use his double orb thing to jump to you, and then don't hit his counter. He can't really do anything without it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Key to beating that monk is to let him use his double orb thing to jump to you, and then don't hit his counter. He can't really do anything without it.

I started playing him last night and he still seems really strong, even if you're a terribad like me. I just hold on to my counter to mostly body block for squishy teammates or when someone is popping high damage telegraphed stuff. It's hilariously effective if they're trying to snipe the orb or something to just stand in front of it countering while your team takes it for you. They can either shoot you to get you out of the way, at which point you land on top of them and give them the ol' Slap Chop, or they ignore you so you "waste" your counter and you get 25% energy towards the murder beam.

Also I've been getting better about baiting out people's gap closers by targeting my teleport into a wall so they see me blink away and go to follow me, then I hit the wall and my teleport gets blocked and rerouted back to where I was for free. :smugdog:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Which monk are we talking about, because Shifu is also pretty broken.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
They are talking about Sirius, who is no where near broken.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Avatar-looking light monk with the sickle. Shifu is fun too, and while he can train a target really well I don't find him to be nearly as brutal of an rear end-gently caress to fight from a team perspective.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

The main thing about Sirius that seems broken is his M1 - R - M1 combo with the T2 battlerite for the weapon charge on R which makes this a 60 damage <1 second total cast + animation length 25% energy burst combo. That's a lot of burst in a short amount of time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is it just me or is Lucille's M1x broken? It seems to just poo poo out insane amounts of damage in an AoE, has almost no cooldown, is incredibly easy to hit with almost no windup and even slows for good measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Are the servers lagging like poo poo tonight? Everything is warping super badly for everyone on my team. It's kind of retarded.

• Locked thread