Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aliquid posted:

Confirmed with HWInfo, my CPU runs at 78C after twenty minutes of Battlefield 1 at regular clocking with a box fan pointed at it. :stare:

That's basically what I would expect. Is it a stock cooler? Pointing a box fan at it really won't help much. I really don't think you'd get any benefit 19-20x multiplier. Time for an intel chip and a hyper 212 evo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
What country are you in? UK.
What are you using the system for? Gaming and web-surfing.
What's your budget? Around £700. Need case and all the insides, and a copy of Windows 10.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? None.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Monitor's a fairly old 1080p 22" Samsung. Just running something from 2010 would probably be a step up from what I'm currently using.

I asked for advice for a £500 build at the start of the year, but life got in the way of me buying it, and now my budget's expanded a little more I thought it best to get fresh information as to what's available. This'll be my first time building a PC, so ideally I'd like a case that's simple to work with and maintain. Also, having on-board Wi-Fi would be a huge help - I've got a small £10 dongle, but I expect anything internal would probably give better performance. Thanks for your help.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

MisterAlex posted:

My roommate Jason wants to make a desktop machine that's compact enough to easily take to friends' places.

Usage: Mainly 1080p games and the usual junk folks do on computers.
Budget: $600-ish for parts. I'm going by the price of the components he's looking at.

This is his proposed parts list he gave me to check out:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN-WIFI [$95]
CPU: Athlon X4 845 [$68]
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB [$135]
RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3-1600 [$42]
Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD [$50]
PSU: CORSAIR SF450 [$90]
Case: SilverStone ML08B-H [$80]

These are the parts I'm looking at recommending instead, since I have a hard time recommending an AMD chip for any kind of gaming machine...
Mobo: MSI H110I Pro [$73]
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 [$118]
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB [$170]
RAM: Kingston DDR4-2133 (2x 4GB) [$42]
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB [$63]
PSU: Corsair RMx 550W [$100]
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S [$50]

1. Am I at least giving him as much power as his initial build? Edit: Okay, I'm pretty confident here considering these comparisons.
2. Is my part list okay, or should I swap anything out? Am I "overbuying" anywhere?
3. Any specific thoughts or suggestions on easily portable cases?

The Nano is a terrible case if he wants to move his computer around a lot, as it's over 30 liters. You could try the SG13-B which will fit all your parts and is 10.5 liters, so one third the size. Or you could swap the case and PSU for the Node 202 which is also 10.5 liters but requires a SFX PSU, they have version that comes with said PSU.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Nano is a terrible case if he wants to move his computer around a lot, as it's over 30 liters. You could try the SG13-B which will fit all your parts and is 10.5 liters, so one third the size. Or you could swap the case and PSU for the Node 202 which is also 10.5 liters but requires a SFX PSU, they have version that comes with said PSU.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks a bunch. I like both of those more.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What are some things you look for and check up on when buying a PSU? They all seem so similar, but I know there are smallish things like noise and whether it's modular or not. Are there reputable brands like with other components?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

ufarn posted:

What are some things you look for and check up on when buying a PSU? They all seem so similar, but I know there are smallish things like noise and whether it's modular or not. Are there reputable brands like with other components?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Cloud Potato posted:

Also, having on-board Wi-Fi would be a huge help - I've got a small £10 dongle, but I expect anything internal would probably give better performance. Thanks for your help.
Generally onboard wifi is only available on more expensive high end motherboards. Compared to more basic motherboards plus the price of a PCIE wifi card, onboard wifi isn't worth it unless you're planning on buying a smaller case and space inside becomes important. You'll need to check the UK prices of motherboards and wifi cards and see if its worth it.

Also, the wifi dongle may be good enough for you anyways if it works well and isn't creating a bottleneck with your internet connection.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Hey folks. Probably paranoid, but am I deffo ok bringing these two together? Asking as one is from a different PC and I know things can go wrong with this socket.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Inverse square posted:

Hey folks. Probably paranoid, but am I deffo ok bringing these two together? Asking as one is from a different PC and I know things can go wrong with this socket.

Yeah power cords are pretty interchangable.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
There's pretty much zero problems with using those things, I've used ones that seem ancient with no problems.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Yeah the only theoretical issue I know of is if the cable was not rated for the voltage or current you need, it is a fire hazard. Which is just not really a thing that happens in reality, I don't think. If you take a look, the specs the cable is rated for are usually printed on the cable itself. Even an old lovely-looking one I found lying around, which was probably originally bundled with some low-power device, is rated for up to 10A @ 125V - so that's up to 1250W. Even here in north america where everything is 110-120V, it is very common for these cables to be rated up to 250V or more anyway.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Cloud Potato posted:

What country are you in? UK.
What are you using the system for? Gaming and web-surfing.
What's your budget? Around £700. Need case and all the insides, and a copy of Windows 10.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? None.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Monitor's a fairly old 1080p 22" Samsung. Just running something from 2010 would probably be a step up from what I'm currently using.

I asked for advice for a £500 build at the start of the year, but life got in the way of me buying it, and now my budget's expanded a little more I thought it best to get fresh information as to what's available. This'll be my first time building a PC, so ideally I'd like a case that's simple to work with and maintain. Also, having on-board Wi-Fi would be a huge help - I've got a small £10 dongle, but I expect anything internal would probably give better performance. Thanks for your help.

OK, tinkered with PCPartPicker, here's my current thinking:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (£92.91 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£32.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£84.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£75.29 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card (£146.48 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£82.98 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Novatech)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£84.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £710.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-25 21:12 BST+0100

I guess the first thing is that it's those brand new 1050Ti's; it's better to go with a new card than a step up but a generation back, yes?

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
After careful consideration of my options, I'm going to upgrade. Note that I already have hard drives and monitors and a gtx 1060. Please comment. Seems straightforward to me. I never plan to overclock.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($286.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: *Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($162.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: *GeIL SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: *Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case ($112.98 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: *EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $736.94
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-25 17:16 EDT-0400

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Slowly putting together a list (aiming for a black friday buy - except for a monitor, I'm starting from scratch, which is going to make this a pricey proposition). There are two moving parts I'm not sure about.

I haven't built a PC since the Pentium 4 days, when overclocking was a whole thing. Seems easier now, but I'm way out of practice with my tinkering - I've had a Mac laptop for the last decade now. Can someone give me an idea of how much dickering around I'd have to do if I went with a K processor and overclocked it? How easy it is to tone down instability?

I'll probably be aiming for 1080p gaming, which makes me comfortable with the 1060. However, I'd love for VR to be a thing and will be toying with buying in. Does the 1060 have the horsepower to drive a HMD? Tests on the internet seem surprisingly scarce. If no, how do these things retain resale value? Am I better off going with a 1060 now then selling and upgrading if i buy into VR, or just saving a bit more and getting the 1070 now?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Boxman posted:

Slowly putting together a list (aiming for a black friday buy - except for a monitor, I'm starting from scratch, which is going to make this a pricey proposition). There are two moving parts I'm not sure about.

I haven't built a PC since the Pentium 4 days, when overclocking was a whole thing. Seems easier now, but I'm way out of practice with my tinkering - I've had a Mac laptop for the last decade now. Can someone give me an idea of how much dickering around I'd have to do if I went with a K processor and overclocked it? How easy it is to tone down instability?

I'll probably be aiming for 1080p gaming, which makes me comfortable with the 1060. However, I'd love for VR to be a thing and will be toying with buying in. Does the 1060 have the horsepower to drive a HMD? Tests on the internet seem surprisingly scarce. If no, how do these things retain resale value? Am I better off going with a 1060 now then selling and upgrading if i buy into VR, or just saving a bit more and getting the 1070 now?

Overclocking consists of changing a number in the bios. You can fiddle with more settings to eke out higher clocks, but doing it quick is dead simple.

A 1060 is probably enough for VR? I haven't seen much comparing it to the 970 the headsets list as a minimum.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kripes posted:

After careful consideration of my options, I'm going to upgrade. Note that I already have hard drives and monitors and a gtx 1060. Please comment. Seems straightforward to me. I never plan to overclock.

Memory: *GeIL SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: *EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX)

you dont need a z170 mobo if you are sure you wont be overclocking
an h170 will be at least $50 cheaper and be extremely similar minus overclocking
this one from the OP seems to be well reviewed and come with a very full feature set
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nx648d/msi-motherboard-h170apcmate

The list seems fine otherwise. I dont really understand canadian pricing but i dont see anything outrageous

Boxman posted:

for the extremely wary or lazy, every z170 mobo comes with an auto OC option in the bios or sometimes its just an .exe you run from the desktop.

It wont go as high as if you did it yourself and it usually does a higher voltage than needed in order to be completely stable but its totally safe and braindead easy to use.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 26, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Is there any reason aside from price to not go AiO cooler over a regular heatsink? How often do they fail, when they do is it catastrophic? I assume the liquid inside is mostly non conductable?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

kripes posted:

Switch the RAM to this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233911

Sure, it's $20 more expensive, but Corsair's NA support is phenomenal, and the heatspreaders won't get in the way of anything, unlike the giant ones that look like they're on those GeIL DIMMs. The red spreaders are the cheapest version, if you want black to match your board, it's $5 more: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233831

I've been looking at boards for you for longer than I'd care to admit - get that Z170-E even though you're getting a non-K chip, with the rebate at Newegg it's better than the H170 options I've been looking at.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 26, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The General posted:

Is there any reason aside from price to not go AiO cooler over a regular heatsink? How often do they fail, when they do is it catastrophic? I assume the liquid inside is mostly non conductable?

I've never heard of one failing but I'd definitely go for a decent brand. I imagine you'd hear the pump failing before anything. They take up a fair bit of space and not all cases have a place or the room for the radiator+fans.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VelociBacon posted:

I've never heard of one failing but I'd definitely go for a decent brand. I imagine you'd hear the pump failing before anything. They take up a fair bit of space and not all cases have a place or the room for the radiator+fans.

mine failed this year, it was a brand new corsair h100 which is a very popular clc. The pump just stopped a year after installation without any warning sounds or loss in performance beforehand. One day my idle temp was 70c and I couldnt play any games without massive throttling. It was installed with everything in the correct orientation and was replaced under warranty with not very much trouble.

If there a leak the warranty generally covers any damaged parts. If the pump fails which is more likely it will just not cool very well. At idle the cpu will probably still be okay and not in any danger.

I will probably go with a full custom loop or an air cooler next build, but not a clc

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 26, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bigger air coolers are actually seriously effective as well, but really the ~30 or so USD range air coolers are blatantly the sweet spot so I can't recommend the big coolers unless you're a stupid like me who wants to pay extra to hang a kilo of metal off the socket (NH-D15, seriously effective but not exactly price effective).

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
What are expected solid sale prices for SSDs in the 250gb range? I've been watching prices bounce around over the last few weeks for a few non-Samsung brands. ~$50 I guess. But I don't know what's a deal now versus a year ago hot deals. Not looking for top speed specs, just reliability and affordability.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kramdar posted:

What are expected solid sale prices for SSDs in the 250gb range? I've been watching prices bounce around over the last few weeks for a few non-Samsung brands. ~$50 I guess. But I don't know what's a deal now versus a year ago hot deals. Not looking for top speed specs, just reliability and affordability.

Look for an x400. Might go down to $70-$75 or so and that's about as cheap as you're realistically going to get I'm afraid. It's worth the premium over garbage tier SSDs. Speed is less an issue than reliability, which takes a long walk off a short pier the cheaper you get.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is there much point in spending 40% extra on getting a ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER instead of a ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING? The comparison function on Asus' website is pretty poo poo.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Boz0r posted:

Is there much point in spending 40% extra on getting a ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER instead of a ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING? The comparison function on Asus' website is pretty poo poo.

Not really. Some of the higher end motherboards have features you might want if you're messing with BIOSes and doing super high overclocking, but any Z170 board should be more than capable of doing all of the basics. I'd just make sure the feature list matches what you want. I've had my OC'd i5-4670K in an ASUS Z87-A for about three years now without any problems and expect it to last a long time.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I could use some help or suggestions - I have a computer with an i5 3570 (the locked version) on a p67a motherboard, 8gb of DDR3 and a GTX 970. I like to play sims that are pretty CPU intensive and I'm considering an upgrade of some sort because it seems to me the CPU is bottlenecking me. One option is to try and find an unlocked version of 3570 or go full upgrade and replace all of it, CPU, mobo and ram. Any thoughts on what would be best price/performance wise?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ledenko posted:

I could use some help or suggestions - I have a computer with an i5 3570 (the locked version) on a p67a motherboard, 8gb of DDR3 and a GTX 970. I like to play sims that are pretty CPU intensive and I'm considering an upgrade of some sort because it seems to me the CPU is bottlenecking me. One option is to try and find an unlocked version of 3570 or go full upgrade and replace all of it, CPU, mobo and ram. Any thoughts on what would be best price/performance wise?

An overclocked 3570K is still very good. If you can find one for under $150 and get a good cooler I'd probably do that. There's some on ebay for that price (even a couple that are listed as new). If there are other features you think you'd benefit from on Skylake then you may want to look at upgrading everything but you'll be buying a processor, motherboard, and RAM at minimum (around $400).

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What do you guys think of this upgrade list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Cooler: DeepCool Maelstrom 120T (bundled with CPU and motherboard)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 DC 16GB

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

Boz0r posted:

What do you guys think of this upgrade list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Cooler: DeepCool Maelstrom 120T (bundled with CPU and motherboard)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 DC 16GB

I have the same motherboard and also the same kind of ram, except the 3200mhz version. Most of the time its great but every once in a while during boot the bios gives an unable to set overclock error. From what Ive been gathering other people are having trouble with this aswell and a simple reboot fixes it. Seems to be something related to ram overclocking that confuses it. Though I havent noticed it happening on the newest bios.

Joe_Strummer
Jul 1, 2007
Bring out the banners of Stalingrad
Hello all,

After my computer recently packed it in, I am very close to pulling the trigger on a list of parts to build my very first computer. I was hoping to confirm, before actually paying anything out, if all of the components listed will work together?

But first, I am living in London, UK.

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?

A little bit of work (hosting SQL server environment, but not hosting any real database; mostly just playing around), but a little bit of gaming and video streaming, etc.

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
Flexible but ideally less than £1,000.00. No need for any peripheral devices, just the tower.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?

SSMS, R Studio; but nothing else and the numbers/data I'm using for both is for practise and not going to be a major drain on the system.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?

I have my current tower hooked up to my TV which is approx 50-60"; not really sure what the resolution is. I'd be happy with something mid-way between basically running as I don't play a ton of games; but would ideally like this system to last as long as my last (+10 years) and keep up new games as they are released over that period.

All components and model/item numbers are courtesy of NewEgg. I also may need to swap out the RAM in this list as it is currently out of stock. What do you guys think? Will the below work together?

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior
Model #:RC-932-KKN5-GP
Item #:N82E16811119160

ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Model #:X99-A/USB 3.1
Item #:N82E16813132516

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card
Model #:04G-P4-3975-KR
Item #:N82E16814487088

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply
Model #:220-G2-0750-XR
Item #:N82E16817438017

Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75930K Desktop Processor
Model #:BX80648I75930K
Item #:N82E16819117403

GeIL SUPER LUCE 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory Model GLW432GB2400C14DC
Model #:GLW432GB2400C14DC
Item #:N82E16820144829

Seagate NAS HDD ST4000VN000 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive
Model #:ST4000VN000
Item #:N82E16822178393

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

VelociBacon posted:

You keep mentioning the 100% thing - games will cause 100% load on cpu/gpu for basically every system.

I'd say go for a GPU but honestly I don't even know much about the 2500 because the whole point of that chip is to get the K one so you can overclock the poo poo out of it.

I wasn't smart in like 2011 when I bought it. It's gunna cost me 600ish for a 1070, less for a 1060, or 700ish for an i5 6600+16gb ram+z170

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 26, 2016

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone have any experience with brand new Chinese sellers posting absurdly low prices for PC parts on Amazon?

I had a price alert go off for a $15 500gb Samsung 850 EVO. I looked at the seller's other items and also found the Kingston HyperX Fury Black 2x8gb kit for loving $2. I placed orders for both, because what the hell, but I'm fully expecting to get scammed. Shipping times are about a full month. What's going on here?

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06
If it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Never trust a brand new Chinese re-seller. Also, this isn't Steam, if its 90% off for a new-in-box product its definitely a scam.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So I'm looking at getting a new computer and I was wondering if the parts I have picked here, based off of the recommendation in the OP, are ok. As for the GPU I currently have a GTX 770 so I'm not in a hurry for a new one, and for the PSU (Seasonic 650W Gold series), I plan to use the one in my current pc since it's only about 5 months old. It's primarily for gaming I suppose. Kinda need help on what kind of CPU cooler to get, in the summer months it gets really hot so I'm assuming water cooling?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 26, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Agrajag posted:

So I'm looking at getting a new computer and I was wondering if the parts I have picked here, based off of the recommendation in the OP, are ok. As for the GPU I currently have a GTX 770 so I'm not in a hurry for a new one, and for the PSU (Seasonic 650W Gold series), I plan to use the one in my current pc since it's only about 5 months old. It's primarily for gaming I suppose. Kinda need help on what kind of CPU cooler to get, in the summer months it gets really hot so I'm assuming water cooling?

Might be cheaper to get the non pro SSD and not much gain for the pro. I'd get faster 3000MHz+ RAM, and a simple 212 Evo cooler works fine and is cheap. Your GTX 770 is a bit dated but you might be able to eek it out a little longer.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Larrymer posted:

Might be cheaper to get the non pro SSD and not much gain for the pro. I'd get faster 3000MHz+ RAM, and a simple 212 Evo cooler works fine and is cheap. Your GTX 770 is a bit dated but you might be able to eek it out a little longer.

What do you think of the Samsung 750 EVO 250GB at $90?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Agrajag posted:

What do you think of the Samsung 750 EVO 250GB at $90?

I have an older 840 evo 256gb and if I could do it over again I would have went for a 500gb. I know it's more expensive but the space fills up quick with modern games. I don't know much about the 750 series and how they compare, the 850 evo is the standard recommendation though. I think the warranty is shorter on the 750's.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The NAND on the 750 isn't nearly as good as what's on the 850. Get an X400 instead if you're pinching pennies.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Alzion posted:

If it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Never trust a brand new Chinese re-seller. Also, this isn't Steam, if its 90% off for a new-in-box product its definitely a scam.
Yeah. If something is like 90% discounted the best case scenario is that it's a semi functional counterfeit or fell off the back of a truck somewhere. More likely just a scam. Retailers don't even make 10% profit on stuff like SSDs let alone 90%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've bought items like that and they never show up and you have to charge back.