Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I thought it'd been implied several times that the Tyranids were running from something, maybe I'm mixing it up with something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
*ranting about Tyranids and Mega orks being poo poo*

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

hungry man walks across room to table on which a delicious plate of steak rests.

as he is several feet away, a cloche is placed over the steak. the man decides that the steak must have vanished, turns around, and leaves.

that's not how this would work though, because if the golden throne is turned off, the Emperor would die, and there wouldn't be a beacon anymore.

what you should have said was "hungry man starts walking towards the steak, then someone throws them into a garbage disposal, man goes looking for food elsewhere"

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

robziel posted:

I thought it'd been implied several times that the Tyranids were running from something, maybe I'm mixing it up with something else.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Carebearz posted:

that's not how this would work though, because if the golden throne is turned off, the Emperor would die, and there wouldn't be a beacon anymore.

what you should have said was "hungry man starts walking towards the steak, then someone throws them into a garbage disposal, man goes looking for food elsewhere"

Idgi, can you please explain it as a car analogy

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Pharmaskittle posted:

Idgi, can you please explain it as a car analogy

hmmmmm, let me try, but seeing that my extent of knowledge about cars is that they go vroooom-vrooooom, it might be a little iffy.

Guy wants to buy a really nice car, sees the nice car he wants but as he walks over to it, someone puts a sold sign on it, guy goes looking at different dealerships

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm putting together a regiment for SWAT Enforcers and this is pretty fun. Not as well equipped as Arbites but much better off than typical cops or even most Guard. Shotguns, shields and a Chimera with a ram :dance:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Skellybones posted:

I'm putting together a regiment for SWAT Enforcers and this is pretty fun. Not as well equipped as Arbites but much better off than typical cops or even most Guard. Shotguns, shields and a Chimera with a ram :dance:

Good luck with that. I did that once. didn't last too long I'm afraid. Wrong time I think.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Skellybones posted:

I'd play in an OW game like this, especially if you made every character a stereotypical 80's/90's cop movie character.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Carebearz posted:

yes. i actually made a post to that very effect

Skellybones posted:

do you have them using non-lethal weapons? you should have them using non-lethal weapons. and then put them up against a Carnifex

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
While his wife begs them not to hurt him, he's a big softy really.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

do you have them using non-lethal weapons?

Is he modeling them on american cops? :v:

Also SWAT isn't exactly a less-than-lethal outfit.

By the way, there's a boardgame currently on kickstarter which is about having giant mecha and gunships, and trying not to kill too many people

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
For those who've used the Rogue Trader Apocalypse ruleset, how is it? I took a look at the documents and they seem kind of all over the place (for example, character creation refers to some parts of the sheet which aren't currently there) but it seems like it could be a lot of fun. What works, what doesn't, what could use a little tweaking?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Skellybones posted:

Slick. Don't most PDF units serve as their world's Gendarmerie?
I always thought that "Assault Guards" was a kickass name for a heavy police unit :black101:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i, too, think things

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It would vary from planet to planet but I assume the majority of imperial worlds have PDF who wait around to be drafted into the Guard and Enforcers who actually do policing.

Of course since its 40k it could get super convoluted. The Enforcers discover a crime scene that links into a separatist or chaos/xeno cult? Well the PDF will possibly get involved because it's a matter of planetary security. The Arbites will stick their heads in because crimes against the Imperium is their thing. A noble might have their own private military/security company that has legal precedent to handle some aspect of it. An Inquisitor gets word of it and starts shuffling people around. Local Sisters of Battle convent insists on interfering because they're dying to purge some heretics. Adeptus Mechanicus has a shrine nearby and they heard a machine spirit cry so they want in too. A Guard regiment is resupplying on world so their commander goes on alert and the Commissar starts flogging people just to be sure. A Rogue Trader is in orbit and starts scamming everyone involved with outrageously priced security and transport contracts.

Then the Blood Ravens show up for some reason, everyone starts killing each other and we have a new DoW game.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Skellybones posted:

It would vary from planet to planet but I assume the majority of imperial worlds have PDF who wait around to be drafted into the Guard and Enforcers who actually do policing.

Of course since its 40k it could get super convoluted. The Enforcers discover a crime scene that links into a separatist or chaos/xeno cult? Well the PDF will possibly get involved because it's a matter of planetary security. The Arbites will stick their heads in because crimes against the Imperium is their thing. A noble might have their own private military/security company that has legal precedent to handle some aspect of it. An Inquisitor gets word of it and starts shuffling people around. Local Sisters of Battle convent insists on interfering because they're dying to purge some heretics. Adeptus Mechanicus has a shrine nearby and they heard a machine spirit cry so they want in too. A Guard regiment is resupplying on world so their commander goes on alert and the Commissar starts flogging people just to be sure. A Rogue Trader is in orbit and starts scamming everyone involved with outrageously priced security and transport contracts.

Then the Blood Ravens show up for some reason, everyone starts killing each other and we have a new DoW game.

This is the most accurate description of law enforcement in Warhammer 40,000.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Eye of Terror?

I don't know if sending all the hive fleets into the eye of terror would be a great thing, or a terrible thing.

Knowing 40k, probably terrible.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

slaanesh would get some p upsetting new ideas, nurgle would love the whole new toxins thing, tzeentch would get a rock on for the constant mutagenic shifting of the tyranid phenotype, khorne would have a bunch of new exciting skulls to collect, malal would be all "yes, the main 4's servants are getting wrecked this is amazing", gork and mork would get new friends, emperor starchild would be all "brilliant, they're not attacking my dudes anymore", the eldar gods would love it as they get some breathing room

really it's the only logical choice for everyone to win. kill the emperor. throw the switch.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, I'm not really keen on seeing Khorne taking a shine to a Hive Lord and sending it out again as a daemon prince.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Don't Chaos, Tyranids, and the Necrons have a rock paper scissors thing going on? Like I remember Tyranids going out of their way to avoid necrons, Necrons not liking chaos, and chaos fleeing tyranids cause of the shadow of the warp.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Everyone goes out of their way to avoid necrons. Tyranids don't really bother with them because they aren't edible, so there's no reason to waste a bunch of biomass trying to munch of metal men.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember a thing about Tyranids disliking blanks, but the Necrons don't do that any more.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Necrons use the obelisks on Cadia to made Eye smaller, channel the bleed-off from the closing to shatter Tyranid hivemind. Or something.

It's not the worst fan (read: my) idea, especially considering the alt-40Ks that /tg/ is producing nowadays.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

let's not pretend /tg/ has the monopoly on ridiculous alt-40ks

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Felime posted:

Everyone goes out of their way to avoid necrons. Tyranids don't really bother with them because they aren't edible, so there's no reason to waste a bunch of biomass trying to munch of metal men.

Same with Chaos demons

JcDent
May 13, 2013

let's not pretend /tg/ has the monopoly on ridiculous alt-40ks

In my defense, I don't know anything outside of /tg/ and, well, here. I have only heard rumors of places like dakkadakka and reddit

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Skellybones posted:

The 87th Lethal Weapons.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SardonicTyrant posted:

The 87th Lethal Weapons.

A true servant is never too old for this poo poo.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
On the plus side, nobody ever dies with just a few days left until retirement.

Because only in death does duty end, you see.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dachshundofdoom posted:

On the plus side, nobody ever dies with just a few days left until retirement.

Because only in death does duty end, you see.

still more lenient than Sea Org I guess

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
The Raid: Redemption hive-scaled.

Better yet, you're the Adeptus Astra Telepathica's law enforcement arm, charged with policing psykers and maintaining order - the Thought Police.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Psykers ferreting out heresy wherever it may hide - the Dream Police.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

genestealer cults.

• starts off with hypnotised humans
  • 1st gen hybrids are very nearly purestrain genestealers
  • 2nd gen are pretty heavily mutated
  • 3rd gen are vaguely mutated
  • 4th gen are very hard to spot
  • 5th gen are... purestrain genestealers

is it me or does it make a whole lot more sense to go in reverse?

• 1st gen hybrids are very nearly human
  • 2nd gen - offspring of two first-gen - are kinda mutated
  • 3rd gen - offspring of two second-gen - are pretty mutated
  • 4th gen - offspring of two third-gen - are basically genestealers
  • 5th gen are purestrain genestealers

the cult has an impetus to constantly expand (needs more 1st gen input to get population of purestrains up) and, more importantly, won't be making GBS threads out mutant hellfreaks within about ten months of getting started, thus going HEY INQUISITOR OVER HERE while they're still at the stage of being Raising Arizona with lasguns.

the cult also has a load of basically-human infiltrators at the point where it needs to start infiltrating, and once it's been around for a while, it starts churning out shock troops for its actual takeover

plus this way it's sort of thematically "the genes are getting more genestealery" rather than having the weird jump from bald people to 300kg six-limbed murder machines

thoughts? comments?? mods???

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I always thought they did go that way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

genestealer cults.

• 1st gen hybrids are very nearly purestrain genestealers
  • 2nd gen are pretty heavily mutated
  • 3rd gen are vaguely mutated
  • 4th gen are very hard to spot
  • 5th gen are... purestrain genestealers

is it me or does it make a whole lot more sense to go in reverse?

• 1st gen hybrids are very nearly human
  • 2nd gen - offspring of two first-gen - are kinda mutated
  • 3rd gen - offspring of two second-gen - are pretty mutated
  • 4th gen - offspring of two third-gen - are basically genestealers
  • 5th gen are purestrain genestealers

the cult has an impetus to constantly expand (needs more 1st gen input to get population of purestrains up) and, more importantly, won't be making GBS threads out mutant hellfreaks within about ten months of getting started, thus going HEY INQUISITOR OVER HERE while they're still at the stage of being Raising Arizona with lasguns.

the cult also has a load of basically-human infiltrators at the point where it needs to start infiltrating, and once it's been around for a while, it starts churning out shock troops for its actual takeover

plus this way it's sort of thematically "the genes are getting more genestealery" rather than having the weird jump from bald people to 300kg six-limbed murder machines

thoughts? comments?? mods???

Yeah reading the GSC codex I couldn't stop thinking the same thing. Have humans that slowly warp into aliens through Alien style body horror, like facehuggers. The end result is aliens with human DNA that are fit to live on the planet the humans were on.

Instead its reversed... and somehow flips from almost-full-human to fully-genestealer at the last stage? WHAT? That reversal makes little sense. They play it off saying "The 4th gen don't see their children for what they are, they see them as beautiful babies because of mental conditioning" but uhhhh okay guys. I guess.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 28, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They go the first way because it means there's always opportunities for brave imperial investigators to uncover the hideous monsters lurking in their midst (or in the undercity, or whatever) and as the cult reaches critical mass it has a large number of basically undetectable infiltrators with which to completely sabotage the planet's defenses.

I guess it shows that Tyrannids are constantly adapting and optimizing for whatever role they need to perform, which in this case is to blend in and get employed in the PDF, which 4th gen hybrids are good at, and act as shock troops when during the invasion which the others hybrids are okay at but purestrains are great at.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i guess the 1st and 2nd generations are useful at being idiot goddamn hellfuckers that hang around in the basement all day with their multiple arms in case anyone sees them

e: so as not to be totally glib - it's implied that the cult goes through a couple of cycles of hybrids -> purestrains, as evinced by the fact that a Primus only shows up (presumably to play the south park theme song) after a few generations of purestrains. so having the first/second generations be three-armed special ed cases doesn't really have much benefit

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 28, 2016

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I thought the fluff for that was that because the corruption starts with a genestealer that "implants" a human. The 1st gens are half human-half straight up genestealer. The first generation being horrible monsters is an inescapable flaw in the plan. Its like one of those old monster movie slow transformations that is stuck in the middle. The fact that the resulting hybrids can pass for humans within two generations or so is a testament to the adaptive ability of the tyranids. Presumably the Patriarch or whatever can direct the hybrids to not have any 5th generation offspring until the time is almost right.

It is a messy mixture of biology and "Lovecraftian" veiled racism The Fly 2: Son of the Fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Didn't the genestealers start out before nids? You could even have Chaos-worshipping stealers back then.

I have no problem with current stealer MO. You start with a few stealers and a few people who got a facefull of alien wing-wang. Those folks give birth to circus freaks, which are not that hard to hide in the mutant-strewn Imperial underground. Eventually you more normal babies that later generations/blood/broodbrothers can help infiltrate. You are also replenishing the stock of original stealers who might be lost to ageing/Imperial disregard for OSHA. Eventually the cult stages an uprising and purestrains gtfo off the planet so as not to get nommed/perpetuate the cycle.

Of course, the new fluff might contradict it. The baby handwave is not surprising considering that its basically the same explanation you get for Flesheater courts/ghouls.