Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

site posted:

Sounds like a Ghostbusters/Batman crossover waiting to happen to me

Batman/Ghostbusters: The Ghost of the Demon
Every time Ra's al Ghul dies, he returns resurrected from the Lazarus Pit. However, a part of his soul is lost each time he comes back from the dead to his physical body. Now after so many rebirths, those fractions of his soul have coalesced into a ghostly Ra's with a more corrupted vision of saving the world. Uneasy with the paranormal and besieged by his own self, Batman and Ra's call in the experts in the field to stave off the extinction of all life on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'd read it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Has the Spectre ever dealt with the Joker?

Only one that occurs to me is a J.M. DeMatteis fill-in issue of JLA just before the last Morrison story arc, which I think took place pretty soon after Hal Jordan became the Spectre. It has a bit where Martian Manhunter takes the Spectre and the JLA into the Joker's head, where they find this friendly couple who welcome them and invite them to make themselves at home, to prove that there's something to redeem even in the most twisted human mind of all.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Only one that occurs to me is a J.M. DeMatteis fill-in issue of JLA just before the last Morrison story arc, which I think took place pretty soon after Hal Jordan became the Spectre. It has a bit where Martian Manhunter takes the Spectre and the JLA into the Joker's head, where they find this friendly couple who welcome them and invite them to make themselves at home, to prove that there's something to redeem even in the most twisted human mind of all.

Basically every time the Spectre interacts with the Joker there's an excuse for not killing him.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

quite stretched out posted:

also the founding fathers summoned a bat demon that was trapped under gotham city which exerts an evil influence on everyone who lives there

Cool.

Onmi posted:

Basically every time the Spectre interacts with the Joker there's an excuse for not killing him.

Less cool.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I think the general excuse was 'Joker is so inherently crazy he really has no concept of right and wrong and Spectre operates on black and white morality where you have to know on some level you're doing the wrong thing.'

Basically Joker loopholes his powers, though I'm sure there's some comic repudiating that and making it "Joker won't die because he's too popular.'

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

mind the walrus posted:

Has the Spectre ever dealt with the Joker?

Yes, he has. The Spectre v3 #51 saw him enter the Joker's soul. To start with, the Joker comes to New York (Corrigan's base of operations) and Batman follows. Some comedian is doing an act as the Joker, Joker finds out, murderous hijinks ensure. The Spectre accosts Joker, who appeals to his henchmen to do something about it, and the Spectre kills them. Spectre is about to wreak his vengeance upon the Joker and Batman talks him out of doing it until he examines the Joker's capacity for understanding good and evil; Batman asserts that as a sociopath the Joker can't do that. Because when the Spectre enters a person's soul they have the inherent home-field advantage, Joker takes the Spectre-force for a ride and causes some (relatively) minor havoc. Within Joker's soul, a part of him tries to kill Corrigan, who's trying to find the Joker's conscience and failing. Joker whips a bunch of cords at him, but Corrigan decides to use them to plug into himself and feed the conscience he has "in spades" to the Joker. We get the following:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I loving hate that poo poo. So Batman's ok with some hired goons being murdered, but oh no, not the guy in the clown makeup.

Or is it enough to say that you're unaware of good and evil and the Sprectre can't touch you because nyer?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Cassa posted:

Or is it enough to say that you're unaware of good and evil and the Sprectre can't touch you because nyer?

Spectre seems to take a criminal justice perspective -- since the Joker didn't have the mens rea during the act of the crime he shouldn't be found criminally responsible for his act.

Of course, all that seems moot since that last page explicitly state by the Joker himself, in front of Batman and God's personal instrument of vengeance, that he's sorry and shouldn't be forgiven, which means he acknowledges he committed criminal acts which means he knows right from wrong, which is the textbook definition of mens rea.

On the other hand, if the Spectre is following the law, then the Joker's acceptance of what he's done is irrelevant because the important fact is whether or not he knew at the time of the criminal act that what he was doing was wrong, which he didn't.

All that seem irrelevant though because the Spectre is the wrath of God himself so why is he worrying about legal technicalities? Isn't Spectre representative of the same Old Testament God that destroyed Sodom and Gamorrah, that flooded the earth, that ordered a man to kill his own son, etc.? It seems to be pretty black and white heavenly judgement.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Spectre seems to take a criminal justice perspective -- since the Joker didn't have the mens rea during the act of the crime he shouldn't be found criminally responsible for his act.

Of course, all that seems moot since that last page explicitly state by the Joker himself, in front of Batman and God's personal instrument of vengeance, that he's sorry and shouldn't be forgiven, which means he acknowledges he committed criminal acts which means he knows right from wrong, which is the textbook definition of mens rea.

On the other hand, if the Spectre is following the law, then the Joker's acceptance of what he's done is irrelevant because the important fact is whether or not he knew at the time of the criminal act that what he was doing was wrong, which he didn't.

All that seem irrelevant though because the Spectre is the wrath of God himself so why is he worrying about legal technicalities? Isn't Spectre representative of the same Old Testament God that destroyed Sodom and Gamorrah, that flooded the earth, that ordered a man to kill his own son, etc.? It seems to be pretty black and white heavenly judgement.

Maybe... That comic sucks.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

dont even fink about it posted:

Maybe... That comic sucks.

Immediately after I posted that I questioned why I typed it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Obviously God wants joker to continue being a serial killer

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

site posted:

Obviously God wants joker to continue being a serial killer

Well? How ELSE are good innocent people supposed to get to Heaven in comics if no one ever ages??? :suicide:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

Specifically that nice couple was Joseph Kerr, the Joker's identity after he had a psychotic (anti-psychotic?) break in Going Sane after he thought he killed Batman, and his girlfriend who he wound up abandoning when he learned Batman was still alive before the Joker reemerged. :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ManiacClown posted:

Yes, he has. The Spectre v3 #51 saw him enter the Joker's soul. To start with, the Joker comes to New York (Corrigan's base of operations) and Batman follows. Some comedian is doing an act as the Joker, Joker finds out, murderous hijinks ensure. The Spectre accosts Joker, who appeals to his henchmen to do something about it, and the Spectre kills them. Spectre is about to wreak his vengeance upon the Joker and Batman talks him out of doing it until he examines the Joker's capacity for understanding good and evil; Batman asserts that as a sociopath the Joker can't do that. Because when the Spectre enters a person's soul they have the inherent home-field advantage, Joker takes the Spectre-force for a ride and causes some (relatively) minor havoc. Within Joker's soul, a part of him tries to kill Corrigan, who's trying to find the Joker's conscience and failing. Joker whips a bunch of cords at him, but Corrigan decides to use them to plug into himself and feed the conscience he has "in spades" to the Joker. We get the following:

There is so much evidence against the idea of Joker not having a sense of right and wrong.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I dig the art on the first page.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Joseph Kerr

Are you loving kidding me.

Of course in a universe with the name Edward Nigma, I suppose I can't complain too much.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Cassa posted:

I loving hate that poo poo. So Batman's ok with some hired goons being murdered, but oh no, not the guy in the clown makeup.

Henchmen are replaceable. Without the Joker and others, Batman has no job, has no meaning. He deliberately keeps them alive so that he can maintain his fantasy world of being a hero.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

flosofl posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

Of course in a universe with the name Edward Nigma, I suppose I can't complain too much.

Not his real name. Aside from the movie giving us Jack Napier the Joker doesn't have a canon name. Joseph Kerr was a frequently used alter ego, where how obvious it was to Batman was the joke.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Yes but the argument between Bats and the Spectre is whether Joker understands right and wrong and he only has the revelation that he shouldn't be forgiven after Spectre forces a moral compass onto him. The understanding doesn't come from Joker and Spectre even says that his little forced morality catatonic state will wear off and he'll be back to his old self.

I mean, don't get be wrong, it's still dumb, but it makes a kind of sense... Nah, it's dumb.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Lurdiak posted:

There wouldn't be no Bane if his country had prison reform!

and there'd be no Joker if that poor comedian had been able to take his pregnant wife for a pre-natal checkup at the Wayne Memorial Free Hospital, so that she wasn't home when their apartment building burned down.

"Hey, do you want to be recruited into our plan to rob the chemical plant?"
"Sorry, guys, I gotta take my wife to her appointment at the hospital. Maybe another day?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

purple death ray posted:

Not his real name. Aside from the movie giving us Jack Napier the Joker doesn't have a canon name. Joseph Kerr was a frequently used alter ego, where how obvious it was to Batman was the joke.

I think in Going Sane, it wasn't intentional for him. Just a new personality that took over and the name he subconsciously came up with. There's a scene of him looking at his mail and staring at the name, slowly scratching out letters before constantly shifting his facial expression until smiling while crying.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

It's not about putting criminals behind bars or funding the police force. It's about instilling fear. "Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot." Batman is effective not simply because he can put them in jail, but because they fear him, he becomes the bed time story, every time someone thinks of committing a crime, there is the feeling in the back of their head, "Batman will find me." And they may brush it off "Batman wouldn't be there for little old me." and then Batman is there for little old you, and he stops you.

Bruce Wayne cannot make the criminal element fear him as Bruce Wayne.

This is why the Best Batman is the one panel where a Sinestro Power Ring landed on Batman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with the "superstitious and cowardly lot" problem is that it assumes criminals are inherently evil people and not, y'know, people with serious mental illnesses or people who come from hosed up situations with no real better choices or so-on.

Which is pretty loving ironic considering that Batman's rogue gallery is full of criminals who are neither superstitious nor cowardly and indeed a good chunk would in fact benefit more from serious actual help rather than being punched in the face over and over. Mr. Freeze or Two-Face for starters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That was one thing I did like about Mr. Freeze in Arkham City. He's really sympathetic until the instant Batman refuses to do exactly what he wants, at which point he holds Batman hostage and you realize "oh yeah this guy is a supreme rear end in a top hat." Batman kicks his rear end and Freeze becomes co-operative again, but there's never a sense afterwards that he's a decent person just because his motivations are valid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That entire game is full of situations Batman made worse by refusing to meet people halfway.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Joker's mind is so broken, even Judge Death couldn't possess it.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Joker's mind is so broken, even Judge Death couldn't possess it.

Beautiful little moment. Is there a batman/dredd worth finding/purchasing?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with the "superstitious and cowardly lot" problem is that it assumes criminals are inherently evil people and not, y'know, people with serious mental illnesses or people who come from hosed up situations with no real better choices or so-on.

Which is pretty loving ironic considering that Batman's rogue gallery is full of criminals who are neither superstitious nor cowardly and indeed a good chunk would in fact benefit more from serious actual help rather than being punched in the face over and over. Mr. Freeze or Two-Face for starters.

The 'superstitious and cowardly lot' refers to the mob and its various enforcers/lackeys, all of the hosed up superpowered plant ladies and giant crocodile men came about to fill the power vacuum left behind by the 'superstitious and cowardly lot'. Batman didn't become Batman to punch clowns in the face.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

mind the walrus posted:

That was one thing I did like about Mr. Freeze in Arkham City. He's really sympathetic until the instant Batman refuses to do exactly what he wants, at which point he holds Batman hostage and you realize "oh yeah this guy is a supreme rear end in a top hat." Batman kicks his rear end and Freeze becomes co-operative again, but there's never a sense afterwards that he's a decent person just because his motivations are valid.

You left out the part where, before the part you mention, Batman was basically torturing Mr. Freeze for info. This is while Mr. Freeze was being held captive by someone else and was absolutely no threat to him.

I mean, yes, Batman was having a REALLY lovely day, and I think he did free him from captivity afterwards, but don't pretend there wasn't a little bit of turnabout.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 26, 2016

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Toadstrieb posted:

Beautiful little moment. Is there a batman/dredd worth finding/purchasing?

I'm pretty sure all of the Batman/Dredd stuff is in this trade. I remember it all being a pretty decent read.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
The Spectre really works well in his own corner away from others (except maybe supernatural/magic DC stuff). It's hard to imagine a being who basically genocided an entire nation to teach two people a lesson being the same being who lets Joker live.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Does anyone have those panels from the story where Wolverine gets killed, resurrected, and mind controlled by the Hand into murdering various superheroes, and then he (along with a handful of zombie Hand ninjas) somehow manages to sneak up on Daredevil? Someone brought it up in a convo today and I recall that fight being particularly good.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I think it requires a lot of cognitive dissonance to ignore all the times that he's taken them to get help, been sympathetic to their plight, etc. At the end of the day if you really need mental help but you also kill a bunch of people because you're coping with your pain by letting a coin make all sorts of decisions (that you still frame and have control over) then you're still a loving murderer.

Like, his rogues all wind up in Arkham and not Gotham State because they are attempting treatment.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sigma-X posted:

I think it requires a lot of cognitive dissonance to ignore all the times that he's taken them to get help, been sympathetic to their plight, etc. At the end of the day if you really need mental help but you also kill a bunch of people because you're coping with your pain by letting a coin make all sorts of decisions (that you still frame and have control over) then you're still a loving murderer.

Like, his rogues all wind up in Arkham and not Gotham State because they are attempting treatment.

Not all of them, People tend to forget not all of Batmans rogues are criminally insane, some of them are just mobsters who wind up in Blackwater at the end of it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Spectre is literally the wrath of God, right? If he wanted to kill some hired goons or Joker or everyone within a 5 mile radius of him, what could Batman do to stop him?

Onmi posted:

Not all of them, People tend to forget not all of Batmans rogues are criminally insane, some of them are just mobsters who wind up in Blackwater at the end of it.

Catwoman and Penguin are the only two I can think of that end up in Blackgate. Maybe Black Mask too?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

The Spectre is literally the wrath of God, right? If he wanted to kill some hired goons or Joker or everyone within a 5 mile radius of him, what could Batman do to stop him?

Nothing, which is why Batman's plan is to convince him to not do that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SonicRulez posted:

Catwoman and Penguin are the only two I can think of that end up in Blackgate. Maybe Black Mask too?

Bane?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

I would argue that sending somehow to Arkham is the opposite of getting them mental help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

All those mobster guys from the 70s they no longer use, even though they were super interesting.