Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/791241549547966464

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
reek reek it rhymes with possible criminal charges

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/chris-christie-is-over/505241/

quote:

“Sobbing mother of four” plus “thrown water bottle” is light years away from the Chris Christie that America thought it knew, way back in 2012 when he was the blue state Republican who rolled up his sleeves and hugged a Democratic president in the wake of a devastating hurricane. Back then, Christie was a straight talker with a heart of gold: screaming curse words at a single mother of four and throwing objects at her was not part of the profile. Now it is.

Christie chronicler and WNYC reporter Matt Katz has been covering the trial in New Jersey, and I asked him whether he thought Kelly’s defense was convincing.* Was it believable that Christie, behind the scenes, might have been so tyrannical? Katz didn’t hesitate in his response:

“It’s highly credible, as far as I’m concerned,” he said. “In his first term, there were literally zero unauthorized leaks to the media of any consequence. There were staffers who would stand behind Republican legislators to make sure they voted the right way! Christie had absolute control. It was the most impressive thing about his governance, actually—how he had the establishment petrified.”

Then again, Katz added, “Some people adored him. He led with a hug and a shiv.”

Christie kinda reminds me of Rob Ford, for no other reason than they're vindictive petty assholes who got to play the funny fat guy card to diminishing returns while their houses collapsed around them

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Who the heck is Bpolitics?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Welp, this sucks. Killery losing to Cheeto is horrifyingly bad and I hate everyone who is voting for that fascist.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
Christie getting impeached would make my day week, possibly even my month.

Motherfucker deserves it as much as Joe Arpaio deserves to rot in the hellhole of his own creation.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Charlz Guybon posted:

click on @bpolitics and all your dreams come true

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Unrated on 538

EDIT: nevermind. Article mentions Seltzer & Co, gets an A+ from 538.

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 26, 2016

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Bloomberg.

That was a Bloomberg/Selzer poll.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Agrajag posted:

Welp, this sucks. Killery losing to Cheeto is horrifyingly bad and I hate everyone who is voting for that fascist.

*ignores all the other polls showing Clinton up by 3-7 points in Florida*

You literally want to just feel anxious and lovely about the election for the next 13 days

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

How are the third parties doing in early voting? I have a hard time believing they'll actually pull 12% of the final vote in a large state.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Trump to 2020 prospects: You don't have a chance"

quote:

Donald Trump is the only candidate who can defeat Hillary Clinton, he suggested Tuesday, laughing at Republicans who may be considering mounting a run in 2020.

Hailing his campaign as a movement during his rally in Sanford, Florida, Trump told supporters this would be the last chance they have.

“Four years, it’s over. It’s over,” he said. “In four years, you don’t have a chance.”

Trump was seemingly sending a message to people like House Speaker Paul Ryan, Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton and vanquished GOP primary rivals Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, household names considered likely to challenge a President Clinton for the White House in 2020.

“All these characters, they wanna run in four years,” Trump said. “They can forget it. They’re wasting their time. You don’t have even a little bit of a chance. This is it, and we’re really close.”

Ahahahahahaha.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Prolly an outlier. It also has the Senate race, which has been pretty close as +10 Rubio.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Interesting to have this poll one the same day as the one which shows Clinton +6.

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/791159168946335744
I'd assume both are outliers and the real value is somewhere around Clinton +2-3. That would also conform to what we've seen from early voting so far.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Trump is running 3rd party in 2020

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Prolly an outlier. It also has the Senate race, which has been pretty close as +10 Rubio.

The Senate race as +10 Rubio is probably similar to what the Democrats internal polling picked up when they pulled their spending.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'd assume both are outliers and the real value is somewhere around Clinton +2-3. That would also conform to what we've seen from early voting so far.

Which is also what every single other poll has showed for weeks.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Counter:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/791118889761505280

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

How has Florida decided to keep Rubio? The best thing Christie did was call Rubio out back in the primaries, I was hopeful that might have hurt him longer term.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Not related to the Presidental election, but holy poo poo anyway.

https://twitter.com/onetoughnerd/status/791020509253152768

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Despite the fact that this was a Selzer poll, it does seem to be more of an outlier. I know Cuban-Americans vote Republican, but Trump up 2 points with Hispanic voters in Miami, and only down by 15 points statewide seems off. Obama actually beat Romney among Cuban voters, so I highly doubt Trump is doing better than that. Especially when we have seen prominent Cuban Republicans/donors flip and back Hillary and put money into voter registration efforts to defeat Trump.

Early voting among Hispanics was up 99% so that alone should raise skepticism about Hillary doing worse with Cuban and non-Cuban Hispanic voters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We'll see if other polls show a similar sudden shift, but it's nothing to worry about yet.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Even if that poll is an outlier, it does sort of point to a relatively modest Clinton win and a razor thin majority (if that) in the Senate, which doesn't bode well for effective government or for anyone learning anything from this entire shitshow.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BUG JUG posted:

Yo, Hibbing uesd to be rich as gently caress from mining revenue back in the 1920-50s. Check out their High School. This is their PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL'S auditorium:

Yeah, I know they had money (and it IS a bitchin' school) but I meant more that it actually built up, had a population in the 6 digits and everything that comes along with that.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Night10194 posted:

We'll see if other polls show a similar sudden shift, but it's nothing to worry about yet.

Also keep in mind that the Selzer poll, while really well regarded, does have a margin of error of 3.2. So...who knows.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

HannibalBarca posted:

Even if that poll is an outlier, it does sort of point to a relatively modest Clinton win and a razor thin majority (if that) in the Senate, which doesn't bode well for effective government or for anyone learning anything from this entire shitshow.

If Republicans ever learned anything from their fuckups George W. Bush would have been laughed away as the legacy of Reagan and his father's bullshit reminded voters that the GOP are fuckups.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

KiteAuraan posted:

If Republicans ever learned anything from their fuckups George W. Bush would have been laughed away as the legacy of Reagan and his father's bullshit reminded voters that the GOP are fuckups.

You could argue that Republican voters learned from losing in 2012, but learned the wrong things.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's weird is that we keep getting hints that the internals have the GOP completely panicked and Dems extremely confident, but the public polling keeps fluctuating between suggesting Obama 2008/2012 levels of victory.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

That seems to be where we were headed even before any poll tightening. The one hope for government actually governing after November is the prospect of a bloody GOP civil war fueled by Breitbart that makes some of the relatively sane Republicans say gently caress it, and work with Democrats on common sense issues.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Here's the operative factor IMO: Trump's support among lean-Rs is very elastic, but, ultimately, the gravitational pull of partisan polarization saves him from every gaffe and oppo dump. That's why the "landslide" polls seem to come and go.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/791256321383202816

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Does lead poisoning prevention involve torches and pitchforks outside Snyder's house?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The GOP is fine with a fascist. Their only problem with him is he's losing and they're not sure they could control him if he didn't.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Does lead poisoning prevention involve torches and pitchforks outside Snyder's house?

We can only hope.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
https://twitter.com/surveyusa/status/791228432701071361

Despite the fact that this shows Hillary up 3, the cross-tabs on this poll still doesn't match up with what we have seen in national polls. Trump pulling in 37% of non-Cuban Hispanics and 41% of Asian/Other is a lot higher than we have seen elsewhere.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

TyrantWD posted:

https://twitter.com/surveyusa/status/791228432701071361

Despite the fact that this shows Hillary up 3, the cross-tabs on this poll still doesn't match up with what we have seen in national polls. Trump pulling in 37% of non-Cuban Hispanics and 41% of Asian/Other is a lot higher than we have seen elsewhere.

Remember, parsing cross-tabs lies along the road to madness.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

RevKrule posted:

I don't get an "I Voted" sticker :(

How'd you go on the propositions?

Colorado needs a primary again. The way they did it this year was terrible.

Also, I hope ColoradoCare wins, even if it is going to be hard to implement on just a statewide basis. Polls looked back for it though.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
In which an attorney general that took a $25k bribe to drop a trump university lawsuit says that trump will be "an excellent role model."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

TyrantWD posted:

Despite the fact that this was a Selzer poll, it does seem to be more of an outlier. I know Cuban-Americans vote Republican, but Trump up 2 points with Hispanic voters in Miami, and only down by 15 points statewide seems off. Obama actually beat Romney among Cuban voters, so I highly doubt Trump is doing better than that. Especially when we have seen prominent Cuban Republicans/donors flip and back Hillary and put money into voter registration efforts to defeat Trump.

Early voting among Hispanics was up 99% so that alone should raise skepticism about Hillary doing worse with Cuban and non-Cuban Hispanic voters.

Yeah I think it was an outlier, which is fine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Josef bugman posted:

Why do people like Feinstein, Schumer and (formerly) Lieberman stick to the Dems? There seems to have been so much change in the party over even the last 8 years and yet they sort of just stick around.

Feinstein and Schumer are basically down the line Democrats.

Feinstein just really likes government anti-terrorism and spying programs and Schumer is from New York, which involves a certain amount of defending NY industries.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Grouchio posted:

I went to Philly a year ago for a Model UN conference and thought the place at large looked like abandoned graffiti factory shite, I resided at a huge hotel right next to what has to be the world's largest Albanian Orthodox Church, we had no internet or room service and many, many of my fellow delegates were forced to sleep on the floor because they ran out of beds. I got selected to oversee the UN process over intellectual rights, which was the biggest snooze-fest ever and I had to excuse myself several times. I also forgot to pack more underwear for the five day trip. Everything downtown from coffee to whatever little groceries there were was overpriced compared to back home in Maine, and the nearest restaurant was a chipotle roughly 9 blocks away. We had a dance at the end but it played nothing but poo poo you'd hear on vine compilations with too many seizure-inducing lights and lasers, so it wasn't that enjoyable (except for a couple of lap dances I witnessed seeing). Oh and on the second/third day of the conference the Paris attacks happened, so that was really what I remembered from that trip.

Was this the U Penn Model UN? If so, hello fellow ILMUNC attendee! We went to the high school version and all got in-school suspension for going to a party thrown by the former President of our model UN club. The Valedictorian was among those who got suspended, it was honestly rather hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, wasn't the original Dem pullout from Florida Sen because of Schumer demanding money for his incredibly safe race in NY?

• Locked thread