Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
memba this
This poll is closed.
goku 130 46.43%
goku 150 53.57%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nocal
Mar 7, 2007
"Facilitated communication" (FC), also known as rapid prompting, is a scientifically debunked augmentative communication method wherein a "facilitator" uses hand-over-hand guidance to assist a person communicate by pointing to letters. If this sounds like a ouiji board to you, that's about right. It was invented by a random lady in Australia and for some time it was not subject to any true scientific scrutiny. The first study to debunk the practice, as far as I can tell, was in 1992.

It was somewhat famously debunked in 1993 on an episode of Frontline (here).

Unfortunately, previous to this quite simple debunking, a man named Douglas Biklen started the Facilitated Communication Institute in 1992 at no less than Syracuse University. How does a man who staked his reputation and livelihood on a scientifically and functionally worthless method proceed? Surely he would take action. Well, in 2010 they changed the name of the institute at Syracuse. Biklen actually became dean of the school of education. They still defend the practice on this page.

It lead to The Strange Case of Anna Stubblefield. She was a brilliant "facilitator" for a nonverbal man with severe disabilities. Since his "responses" were actually her own, she fell in love with herself, and subsequently sexually abused a man with severe disabilities.

Several people practice this repeatedly debunked garbage, including a woman in Texas who people fly their children to see, and who accepts money from sad and desperate families who wish that their children could communicate. Watch her use her method to push a boy's hand where she wants it to go, and watch her move the letters, here.

It should be an extreme embarrassment to Syracuse; at least one person has the sense to understand the situation. However, admins are quoted in this article (written a mere 6 months ago) defending the practice, and at least one commenter below the article is trying to prove that it is a scientifically valid technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

nocal posted:

"Facilitated communication" (FC), also known as rapid prompting, is a scientifically debunked augmentative communication method wherein a "facilitator" uses hand-over-hand guidance to assist a person communicate by pointing to letters. If this sounds like a ouiji board to you, that's about right. It was invented by a random lady in Australia and for some time it was not subject to any true scientific scrutiny. The first study to debunk the practice, as far as I can tell, was in 1992.

Unfortunately, previous to this quite simple debunking, a man named Douglas Biklen started the Facilitated Communication Institute in 1992 at no less than Syracuse University. How does a man who staked his reputation and livelihood on a scientifically and functionally worthless method proceed? Surely he would take action. Well, in 2010 they changed the name of the institute at Syracuse. Biklen actually became dean of the school of education. They still defend the practice on this page.

It lead to The Strange Case of Anna Stubblefield. She was a brilliant "facilitator" for a nonverbal man with severe disabilities. Since his "responses" were actually her own, she fell in love with herself, and subsequently sexually abused a man with severe disabilities.

Several people practice this repeatedly debunked garbage, including a woman in Texas who people fly their children to see, and who accepts money from sad and desperate families who wish that their children could communicate. Watch her use her method to push a boy's hand where she wants it to go, and watch her move the letters, here.

It should be an extreme embarrassment to Syracuse; at least one person has the sense to understand the situation. However, admins are quoted in this article (written a mere 6 months ago) defending the practice, and at least one commenter below the article is trying to prove that it is a scientifically valid technique.

Sunk Cost Fallacy, the willingness to believe for a good cause, familial loyalty, desperation for a cure, the mind's aversion to change, magical thinking and circling the wagons are all wrapped up in this mess, from my layman's perspective. That's a pretty deep hole for anyone to climb out of, even if they were looking to. I can't really blame a FC user or client parent/guardian for being pretty entrenched about the whole thing, even if they are harmful idiots.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
The Anna Stubblefield case also had a loving fantastic thread here in GBS

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

That is one of my absolute favorite :wtf: articles, because it's turtles all the way down.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

nocal posted:

Syracuse University is a college that lists Thomas Szasz among its "distinguished" faculty.

gently caress Syracuse University.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

God yes what a trainwreck. Didn't she loving blow him or something? A literal manchild in a huggies.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I would like to hear more about this. This poo poo sounds bananas.

CIA-run brothels

Experimental psychological torture of Harvard students. I guess the link between these experiments and MKULTRA was either unproven or manufactured because the article doesn't mention MKULTRA

Regarding experimentation on students, I could swear the experiment where they secretly fed radioactive breakfast cereal to unwilling human subject was performed on students. It was, in fact, performed on mentally disabled children :stare:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Well hello Dr. Strangelove! You remind me of another thing that happened, in the buildup of the Iraq invasion, back in late 2002, early 2003. Bush's military advisors, and particularly Donald Rumsfeld, talked about using nukes against Iraq to destroy underground facilities and bunkers. It was an option for a while, but they promised to only use tiny ones that would only kill civilians a little bit, and went as far as calling them "cute nukes". Or maybe that was Molly Ivins' take on it, bless her soul.

Nuclear shaped charges! At the time, I remember people commenting that we didn't even know if they were physically possible. We know they are, though, because they were the the basis of scrapped Project Orion

Speaking of nuclear explosions: the iconic mushroom cloud is not exclusive to nuclear bombs, any sufficiently powerful explosion would create a mushroom cloud. Of course there's a related conspiracy theory. In 1944, in Port Chicago, California, a cargo ship full of munitions blew up, killing hundreds. The fact that the explosion made a mushroom cloud, and that the victims were mostly African-American sailors (expendable human guinea pigs, explains the conspiracy theory), made some later believe that the incident was, in fact, a Project Manhattan test. Some go as far as say that even the much earlier Halifax incident with a munitions ship was a nuclear explosion, meaning that nuclear bombs existed as far back as 1917. Of course, the complete lack of nuclear fallout in both incidents proves otherwise

On the other hand, explode a nuclear bomb at a high enough altitude, and instead of a mushroom cloud you get, well:

:yaycloud:

Bonus interpretive dance:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Unrelated thing:

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 13:57 on Oct 26, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would have loved being able to hunt hippos in Louisiana. "Lake Cow Bacon" sounds fantastic as well. There's literally no downside!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would have loved being able to hunt hippos in Louisiana. "Lake Cow Bacon" sounds fantastic as well. There's literally no downside!

gently caress at least gators have burst speed and can't chase you down at 30 mph on land and drag you screaming into the inky abyss.

I mean bring on the lake bacon but be advised there's already like nutria rats and loving anacondas down there. Save the shotgun shell for yourself.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah the lake cow analogy doesn't really hold up because a regular cow won't bite you cleanly in half if you get anywhere near it; that adorable yawn they do is their way of saying "gently caress off or I'ma wreck your poo poo"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

A few years back The Discovery Channel had this huge event where a man was going to be Eaten Alive!tm by a giant loving snake.

Much like most Discovery Channel Big loving Deals, it was a total bust.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/eaten-alive-show-man-swallowed-snake-article-1.2001400

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

American Hippos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Camel_Corps

Pretty sure it was posted already but for some reason we had an obsession with importing animals from other places.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Pretty sure it was posted already but for some reason we had an obsession with importing animals from other places.

This is how starling birds ended up in North America:

quote:

The European starling was purposefully introduced to North America in 1890–1891 by the American Acclimatization Society, an organization dedicated to introducing European flora and fauna into North America for cultural and economic reasons. Eugene Schieffelin, chairman at the time, allegedly decided all birds mentioned by William Shakespeare should be in North America. The bird had been mentioned in Henry IV, Part 1, and a hundred of them were released from New York's Central Park.[6]

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I could live my dream of maintaining Maat as the Pharaoh by hunting the creatures of Seth by the waters.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Two elections ago a 13 year old gave a speech at a Republican convention and later appeared on Fox News and CNN, with people excitedly proclaiming he's the future of the party and even inviting him to speak at Tea Party protests as they flocked to buy the book he wrote on conservatism.

No points if you guess what happened to his views as he got older and starting reading more than just conservative literature.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Andorra posted:

Two elections ago a 13 year old gave a speech at a Republican convention and later appeared on Fox News and CNN, with people excitedly proclaiming he's the future of the party and even inviting him to speak at Tea Party protests as they flocked to buy the book he wrote on conservatism.

No points if you guess what happened to his views as he got older and starting reading more than just conservative literature.

What was this shitlord's name

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Regular Nintendo posted:

forums user WhiskeyJuvenile

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Regular Nintendo posted:

Albert Einstein

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Andorra posted:

So what you're saying is, the Republican party is literally for those who never grew out of the stupid world view they had when they were 13? Sounds about right.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Regular Nintendo posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Krohn

Hyperlynx posted:

So what you're saying is, the Republican party is literally for those who never grew out of the stupid world view they had when they were 13? Sounds about right.

That's the conclusion the kid came to as well:

quote:

In a Salon article, Krohn was critical of partisan politics in general, and conservatives in particular, describing his conservative critics as "scorned right-wingers showing all the maturity of a little boy." In an interview with Jian Ghomeshi on CBC Radio subsequent to the Salon article, Krohn pointed out that his critics were so shallow that they claimed he shouldn't have been reading philosophy at only 17 years of age.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Krohn

That's the conclusion the kid came to as well:

I thought this was going to be about Derek Black, son of Stormfront founder Don Black and once considered the great hope for the future of nazi-ism before he went all leftist commie pinko on them. It's good that it has happened multiple times, though.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Let's also not forget Prussian Blue. Twin neonazi pop singers who gave up on the whole racism thing after going off to college and discovering weed.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Reminder that before the Europeans showed up on Hawaii, there were no mosquitoes. The introduction of the blood sucking parasitic bug is responsible for the extinction of about 1/3rd of Hawaii's avian diversity.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Let's also not forget Prussian Blue. Twin neonazi pop singers who gave up on the whole racism thing after going off to college and discovering weed.

That's extra lovely because they were featured on Louis Theroux Meets the Nazi's and their mom is a real piece of work (their grandfather was a piece of poo poo too) and I'm glad that her daughters have abandoned her. Very beginning of the documentary the mom puts a swastika on the floor, with tape, and goes into this rant about how the Jews just need to get over it. With her it just goes downhill from there and later on we meet her father. As for the twins, we see them sing (although I'm not sure they were Prussian Blue quite yet) and we see the mother grooming them to be good little Nazis. Yes, they were homeschooled. How did you guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShFz7oHlms

Also look for the part where a dumpy, middle-aged white guy Neo-Nazi Leader thinks he is better looking than Denzel Washington.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Megan Phelps-Roper is another success story. She defected from the Westboro Baptist Church not too long ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/escape-from-westboro-daughter-who-fled-baptist-church-tells-of-brainwashing-8485100.html

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

A White Guy posted:

Reminder that before the Europeans showed up on Hawaii, there were no mosquitoes. The introduction of the blood sucking parasitic bug is responsible for the extinction of about 1/3rd of Hawaii's avian diversity.

Hey now, cats helped.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Hey now, cats helped.

That and the Mongooses (Mongeese?) that were originally introduced to deal with said cats,rats, and other mammalians critters that the Europeans brought with them.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

NatasDog posted:

Megan Phelps-Roper is another success story. She defected from the Westboro Baptist Church not too long ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/escape-from-westboro-daughter-who-fled-baptist-church-tells-of-brainwashing-8485100.html

Her sister Grace as well. That's great. They both seemed sweet and intelligent under all the brainwashing

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-framed/

Wealthy lawyer couple starts insane vendetta against school volunteer over perceived slight to their kid, leading up to planting drugs in her car in attempt to frame her.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Forgall posted:

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-framed/

Wealthy lawyer couple starts insane vendetta against school volunteer over perceived slight to their kid, leading up to planting drugs in her car in attempt to frame her.

Jesus Christ that's a long article.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Environmental organization Greenpeace wanted to send a message about the damage humanity is doing to our irreplaceable planet that cannot be undone. They decided to do this by putting a giant banner next to the Nazca Lines. In doing so, they did damage to the irreplaceable works of ancient art that cannot be undone.

Mind you, it wasn't that banner that did it. It turns out that you have to wear special shoes to approach the site, a fact which the Greenpeace folks failed to get the memo on. Now the Nazca Lines depict animals, plants, humans, and the bottoms of whatever shoes idiot Greenpeace people wear. Probably those weird toe shoes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Ariong posted:

Environmental organization Greenpeace wanted to send a message about the damage humanity is doing to our irreplaceable planet that cannot be undone. They decided to do this by putting a giant banner next to the Nazca Lines. In doing so, they did damage to the irreplaceable works of ancient art that cannot be undone.

Mind you, it wasn't that banner that did it. It turns out that you have to wear special shoes to approach the site, a fact which the Greenpeace folks failed to get the memo on. Now the Nazca Lines depict animals, plants, humans, and the bottoms of whatever shoes idiot Greenpeace people wear. Probably those weird toe shoes.

Didn't they refuse to apologize or admit they did anything wrong?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

A White Guy posted:

Though to be fair, most of Hawaii's native wildlife was long extinct by the time Europeans showed up anyway :v:

We were the worst thing that happened to pretty much every island (anything the Polynesians didn't finish off, Europeans did. Plus the invasive species introduced by both, especially rats), goddamn.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Jesus Christ that's a long article.

Read it or dont. It's posibly going to become a Pain Or Gain style reconstruction of an actual weird as hell crime.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There are a lot of amazing things in that story other than the "she called my son slow and therefore I need to destroy her life", like the wife of the crazy lawyer couple had been sleeping with a ruggedly handsome firefighter, she wrote a self published book on exacting revenge on people for perceived slights, and in the trial the husband identified as a cuckold in order to obtain a more lenient sentence (and failed)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It really is worth a read.

It's so loving incredible that these two lawyers decided to try and totally destroy an innocent woman's life over a misunderstood comment. They are just such massive pieces of poo poo and go to such extreme lengths, even before they planted drugs in her car, that it seems unreal.

If you saw it in a movie, you'd call it ridiculous and far fetched. And yet, it all really happened.

By the time you reach the end of the article you will truly hate the pair of them so loving much.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
On the plus side, they went to jail, had their careers destroyed, and had to pay millions in damages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Gorilla Salad posted:

It really is worth a read.

It's so loving incredible that these two lawyers decided to try and totally destroy an innocent woman's life over a misunderstood comment. They are just such massive pieces of poo poo and go to such extreme lengths, even before they planted drugs in her car, that it seems unreal.

If you saw it in a movie, you'd call it ridiculous and far fetched. And yet, it all really happened.

By the time you reach the end of the article you will truly hate the pair of them so loving much.

Yea, It's like a Cohen Brothers script. It's just bad decision after bad decision.

• Locked thread