Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Also I voted for Hillary. We're all shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Also, wasn't the original Dem pullout from Florida Sen because of Schumer demanding money for his incredibly safe race in NY?

Well the thread loves to poo poo on center-left Dems with conspiracy theories but in this case maybe *gasp* the center-left was right to pull funding to focus on more winnable races in MO, NC and IN! Shocking I know.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hey, so I did a bit of searching but haven't found anything. Trump has obviously been saying that abuela should have been "disqualified" from running or "not allowed" to run for a while. Has anyone ever bothered to ask him what part of the constitution or what law deals with disqualifying a presidential candidate?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

axeil posted:

Well the thread loves to poo poo on center-left Dems with conspiracy theories but in this case maybe *gasp* the center-left was right to pull funding to focus on more winnable races in MO, NC and IN! Shocking I know.

FL was prolly winable, to be honest but at the time polling wasn't as close.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

He's not wrong. Remember, Hillary's approval rating is always a lot lower when she's campaigning for a new job, and a lot higher once she's been in that job a while. She's going to be much more difficult to challenge in 2020.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

"People should act like Trump and give me money."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

JohnCompany posted:

Hey, so I did a bit of searching but haven't found anything. Trump has obviously been saying that abuela should have been "disqualified" from running or "not allowed" to run for a while. Has anyone ever bothered to ask him what part of the constitution or what law deals with disqualifying a presidential candidate?

it's in the 12th Article of the Constitution duh

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

She's right if you look at it from her perspective as a corrupt criminal that works as a government official. Him being president would be a great role models for people aspiring for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

He's not wrong. Remember, Hillary's approval rating is always a lot lower when she's campaigning for a new job, and a lot higher once she's been in that job a while. She's going to be much more difficult to challenge in 2020.
And when Trump loses there'll be a split in the GOP among people who think he was the best thing ever blaming 'normal' republicans for dumping him/not giving him enough support, and people who think trump sucked blaming his bandwagon for losing them the election. By the time Hillary's second term is over this will have probably been forgotten about, but I don't think 4 years is long enough for people to forget how fractured the GOP was this election.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Does lead poisoning prevention involve torches and pitchforks outside Snyder's house?

If there is any justice, yes. Since the main victims are poor minorities, then no.

Trump possibly getting any close vote at this point is more than a little depressing.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
WaPo: gently caress boomers

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm about sick of the generational thing being pushed. Are minority boomers voting Trump? White Millennials voted Romney. I think maybe generational divides aren't the reason Trump is where is

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Feinstein and Schumer are basically down the line Democrats.

Feinstein, sure. Schumer has to run his foreign policy votes past Netanyahu first.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HannibalBarca posted:

Here's the operative factor IMO: Trump's support among lean-Rs is very elastic, but, ultimately, the gravitational pull of partisan polarization saves him from every gaffe and oppo dump. That's why the "landslide" polls seem to come and go.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/791256321383202816

The counterpoint to that is that 'lean-R' isn't a fixed attribute. It could be that what you are seeing there is weak R-independents adjusting their self-described position towards more pure-independent, which eliminates them from that pool.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

JohnCompany posted:

I think the second amendment people know what he's talking about.

But seriously, no, because outside of the debates no-one gets to ask Trump anything anymore ever. He only ever does interviews with press who are affiliated with his campaign, he doesn't do town halls, and he doesn't meet with voters. He is completely unwilling to interact with anyone who might question him or his views in any way.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

FL was prolly winable, to be honest but at the time polling wasn't as close.

538 has consistently had Rubio up by at least 4 points since early August, more like 5-6 most of the time. That's a pretty steep hill to climb. If it had been more fluid I could see a case for continuing to push in that race but the truth is it wasn't looking promising.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

JohnCompany posted:

He hasn't held a press conference in like 3 months. How would they ask him?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Does lead poisoning prevention involve torches and pitchforks outside Snyder's house?

Lead pipes. They have a lil give to them, but they still get the job done.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Goatman Sacks posted:

Feinstein, sure. Schumer has to run his foreign policy votes past Netanyahu first.

:yikes:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

fosborb posted:

He hasn't held a press conference in like 3 months. How would they ask him?

Not only that but he's walked out of interviews where he didn't like the line of questioning.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How'd you go on the propositions?

Colorado needs a primary again. The way they did it this year was terrible.

Also, I hope ColoradoCare wins, even if it is going to be hard to implement on just a statewide basis. Polls looked back for it though.

Yes on primaries and access to unaffiliateds (skin in this game since I'm unaffiliated).
Yes on euthanasia
Yes on ColoradoCare, minimum wage and cigarette taxes.
Yes on pot clubs
Yes on SFCD
No on constitution raising the bar (i'm ok with raising the percentage needed to pass an amendment but not ok with basically being beholden to shitheels on the western slope)
No on DPS increases. (DPS for years has been making GBS threads on urban schools when these get passed and just shifting all their money to charter schools to gently caress over the teachers union. As the child of two teachers, gently caress that poo poo.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

HannibalBarca posted:

Remember, parsing cross-tabs lies along the road to madness.

If there's one thing years of poker has taught me, it's that probability is a dirty lie and there's no way to measure its accuracy except after the fact

I don't actually believe this but god drat if it doesn't seem true sometimes

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
"I'm going to give you a completely inapt example but it's PERFECT." - Rudy

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lol if you think his Iran deal opposition was in the best interest of New York state.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Just a general poll related question: what happens to pollsters when they are just utterly wrong about some one-off thing of historical importance? Do they just say "oh well, no one could have predicted that anyway" or do they face serious repercussions for their professional life? What happened to all of them who were sure Brexit wouldn't pass?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 26, 2016

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Oh, it's war.

https://twitter.com/DeadlineDominic/status/791266831780544512

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just a general poll related question: what happens to pollsters when they are just utterly wrong about some one-off thing of historical importance? Do they just say "oh well, better luck next time" or do they face serious repercussions for their professional life? What happened to all of them who were sure Brexit wouldn't pass?

I don't think anyone was sure Brexit wouldn't pass; the polls were always close to the MOE and polling in the UK isn't as good as it is over here.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, Donny's going to be insane about this for awhile.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Who the gently caress spells hero with a v, gently caress's sake.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just a general poll related question: what happens to pollsters when they are just utterly wrong about some one-off thing of historical importance? Do they just say "oh well, no one could have predicted that anyway" or do they face serious repercussions for their professional life? What happened to all of them who were sure Brexit wouldn't pass?

I know that Gallup hosed up so bad in 2012 that they don't even poll anymore because people wouldn't take them seriously.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it's been vandalized so much I'm amazed they didn't just remove it temporarily for safekeeping

plus he's only ever been a bit player in his roles what the gently caress does he have a star for

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Brexit polls did NOT say it wouldn't pass, far from it:

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/790638388554661888

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Goatman Sacks posted:

(((Schumer)))

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

The only real repercussion is the embarrassment of getting a major election result wrong. Sometimes that leads to changes - for instance, Gallup decided to no longer do national head-to-head polling after blowing the 2012 presidential election. On the other hand, Rasmussen wrongly predicted that Romney would win all the swing states in 2012, and... they're still around.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There was a private poll conducted just before the vote that suggested a narrow remain win and made the markets celebrate until the votes came in and they panicked like mad. But it was like 'remain will win by .5 or 1%' and given how narrowly Leave won, it was well within MoE. That's what everyone's thinking of with the 'big polling miss'.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

it's been vandalized so much I'm amazed they didn't just remove it temporarily for safekeeping

plus he's only ever been a bit player in his roles what the gently caress does he have a star for

you just have to pay like 30k IIRC

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Pollsters usually don't have that kind of skin in the game. (Re: "sure it wouldn't pass.) Typically though you go back and see what was different from your model versus what the results were and see if it was indeed a foreseeable error and adjust accordingly, or if it was just something that went wrong.

On Brexit, polling showed it was close and punditry generally ignored the polling.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Oh man. He's gonna flip his wig.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

nachos posted:

WaPo: gently caress boomers

Dana Milbank posted:

And this much is for sure: After a quarter-century of boomer mismanagement and the monstrosity that is Trump, we can’t possibly do worse.

Oh Dana, you have just jinxed us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
There are probably worse people with intact stars, but this still is stupidly satisfying

• Locked thread