Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

This would actually be decent in modern and maybe standard? Neat but strange card.

it would be super cool in standard, but like, one with a multi-colored environment obviously

of course there's like a 90% chance it would do nothing but i like it, its a neat card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone who has played with Chandra on MTGO: how do you not cast the card exiled with the +1 and deal damage? The one time I played it in limited I peeled a land and had no idea how to say "I'm not casting this, deal 2"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ShaneB posted:

Anyone who has played with Chandra on MTGO: how do you not cast the card exiled with the +1 and deal damage? The one time I played it in limited I peeled a land and had no idea how to say "I'm not casting this, deal 2"

It happened automatically - you cannot possibly cast a land, so your opponent will just take the 2 immediately.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Hellsau posted:

Allegedly sometime in November the cards will show up in those stupid treasure chests. For some reason WotC hates money, so they don't sell the actual commander decks anymore.

Do people actually play EDH on MTGO in any significant numbers? Because it sounds like the most miserable thing in the world.

With the renaissance in digital CCGs lately, it would be cool if there was one designed from the ground up for EDH-style gameplay that avoided the issues of MTGO in general and EDH in specific.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

what a strange card

Weird that they'd put a card that's specifically worse in 3+ player games than in 2-player in a Commander set.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Do people actually play EDH on MTGO in any significant numbers? Because it sounds like the most miserable thing in the world.

Yes

I could go dig up even more videos with more "normal" people playing but I'm lazy.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 26, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Elyv posted:

what a strange card

I'm looking forward to the faces people will make when you kill their creature in response to the equip activation. The smart play with it would probably be to put it on a mana dork or goblin token or some poo poo so they have to pick between stuffing the equip or killing your best creature.

Rules question: if you have it equipped to a creature and go to move it to another creature, is there a window where other players can cast spells? My interpretation would be no; the only time it's not attached to a creature is during the actual resolution of the ability, at which point nobody has priority.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Funniest use of Conqueror's Flail - get it equipped to an opponent's creature somehow, since that still enables the second ability.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

Funniest use of Conqueror's Flail - get it equipped to an opponent's creature somehow, since that still enables the second ability.

Assault Suit?

Alternatively, steal one with a Threaten effect.

Edit: Did this get posted?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 26, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Count Bleck posted:

No, but it looks super fake.

In other news:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

TheMaestroso posted:

No, but it looks super fake.

In other news:

mythicspoiler has a foreign version up here

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Count Bleck posted:

Assault Suit?

Alternatively, steal one with a Threaten effect.

Even if this was real it's another terrible RW legend

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

80s James Hetfield posted:

Even if this was real it's another terrible RW legend

She costs two and theoretically can have more than 3 power, and you can partner her for, if nothing else, more colors.

It's mostly that last bit.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
https://twitter.com/PrinnyDood/status/791202887900753921
It's apparently real? At least it's not double-strike

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That boros dude is a cool aggro dude for voltron. In fact, it would have been better without the partner keyword, which kind of highlights what a poo poo mechanic that is. Grats, Wizards.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

That boros dude is a cool aggro dude for voltron. In fact, it would have been better without the partner keyword, which kind of highlights what a poo poo mechanic that is. Grats, Wizards.

Am I not reading something right about Partner? Is there some way having it on a card is a downside?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Partner is a may?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

How is the ability to improve upon the worst color pair in the format (and optionally, even!) a downside in any way, shape, or form?

Even just splashing into blue for playable artifact synergy and card advantage makes him like twice as good even if you never cast the other partner.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Thanks for making my point in a fairly succinct manner.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
If your point is in general incomprehensible, you're probably not a genius - your point probably doesn't actually make sense.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kynaios and Tiro seems UG to me. I guess two-person legendaries are generally red

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

huh well the group hug commander seems okay at least? you always get the most benefit from it, so i can get behind that. ludvic is a little disappointing but whatever.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kynaios and Tiro seems UG to me.

My Zedruu/Pheldagriff deck will be AMAZING

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Thanks for making my point in a fairly succinct manner.

:cripes:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Finally, a general for my Justin Hampton-themed EDH deck :v:

That actually seems OK if you're into pillow forting. 8 toughness seems like a lot, even if direct damage is less powerful in EDH.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wish they were a bit more subtle with colors in art sometimes. It's the worst w/ UR creatures, I think.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Apparently, since fundamental reading comprehension is in short supply, I'll spell it out.

I never said Partner was a downside, I said the card would have been better without it, which is true, from a design standpoint.

The partner commanders seem all designed to nearly explicitly not synergize with each other and, for the most part, to be weaker than a corresponding non-Partner commander.

While some of the partner commanders are somewhat interesting on their own (see: Tiny Boros Voltron Dude, UG Manadork), the entire point of them having partner seems to be allowing you to shove in goodstuff cards from 2 other colors.

This doesn't make the cards more interesting or thematic, it just lets you circumvent the intent of the format a little for nebulous reasons.

The fact that one of the first responses to this was "Who cares if you ever cast the partner, you get to splash for a color that does good stuff" entirely proves the point.

TL;DR: Partner is a poo poo design, especially the way they've implemented it. Sorry you can't read.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

ludvic is a little disappointing but whatever.

Bertoncini is a little dishonest.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They finally print Ludevic and he's a really disappointing hug dude. :(

Toshimo posted:

Apparently, since fundamental reading comprehension is in short supply, I'll spell it out.

I never said Partner was a downside, I said the card would have been better without it, which is true, from a design standpoint.

The partner commanders seem all designed to nearly explicitly not synergize with each other and, for the most part, to be weaker than a corresponding non-Partner commander.

While some of the partner commanders are somewhat interesting on their own (see: Tiny Boros Voltron Dude, UG Manadork), the entire point of them having partner seems to be allowing you to shove in goodstuff cards from 2 other colors.

This doesn't make the cards more interesting or thematic, it just lets you circumvent the intent of the format a little for nebulous reasons.

The fact that one of the first responses to this was "Who cares if you ever cast the partner, you get to splash for a color that does good stuff" entirely proves the point.

TL;DR: Partner is a poo poo design, especially the way they've implemented it. Sorry you can't read.

What you said was "it would have been better without the partner keyword" which is objectively false. There is not a single thing they would ever print on a Boros legend that is better than "you can also have blue in your deck".

Badly designed, sure, but it's better than every other Boros general by simple virtue of not being Boros. :shrug:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I for one am glad that one of the coolest offscreen characters in Innistrad got a poo poo card that has nothing to do with what he's supposed to be

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Toshimo posted:

There are so many other RW guys you could voltron over this pile

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

80s James Hetfield posted:

There are so many other RW guys you could voltron over this pile

But you wouldn't. Because they are all counterproductive.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Toshimo posted:

But you wouldn't. Because they are all counterproductive.

partner him with bruse tarl so that you have a double strike lifelink sitting around to be used every time you voltron, clearly

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Toshimo posted:

[...]
Sorry you can't read.

On the same token, if something you wrote wasn't interpreted the way you wanted it's probably not that you're a genius whose language skills are better than everyone else in the thread.
If you wanna talk about design inelegance or power level you can... use your words??? to talk about that?????

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Dunno how real these are, but here's an article with some flavor and the rest of the art for the as-of-yet unspoiled stuff .

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The amount of people I'm seeing on the internet who think Akiri is terrible baffles me.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Akiri is good but not what most people wanted from a new WR legend. ie anything to do with besides attacking

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

I for one am glad that one of the coolest offscreen characters in Innistrad got a poo poo card that has nothing to do with what he's supposed to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I mean ideally I would like a R/W commander based around land destruction but I've come to accept what Boros will forever be

• Locked thread