Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Even when they were winning, Forgiven's damage % and kill participation % at worlds was lackluster for the gold % he was given. He may not have been crushed by SSG's botlane, but he was completely invisible that series like he was for most of the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
they would have won if they played Selfie :colbert:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
This inven article with SKT is great: https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/188

Oh so that's how you play like Faker.

Faker is mad.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
wew back from a month in China. Couldn't access SA so spent my time reading Chinese League boards. It was basically like laboring in a salt mine, there were some honestly incredible levels of depression :yayclod:

I found it pretty funny that LPL this year was basically NA in Season 4 worlds. I guess the non-Korean regions are officially all the same poo poo now, clowns upon clowns.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Redmark posted:

wew back from a month in China. Couldn't access SA so spent my time reading Chinese League boards. It was basically like laboring in a salt mine, there were some honestly incredible levels of depression :yayclod:

I found it pretty funny that LPL this year was basically NA in Season 4 worlds. I guess the non-Korean regions are officially all the same poo poo now, clowns upon clowns.

yep it's clowns all the way down

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Pre-Season rumors already swirling, Mata/Looper are leaving EDG (With Mata being a coach and Looper becoming a coach)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the reddit post that comes from also mentions THE GREAT KOREAN EXODUS which is definitely happening, where China releases every Korean player, because of a secret ritual

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Chinese teams are finally learning you can't beat Koreans with a Korean on your team because they always sandbag for nationalist pride.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Libertine posted:

Chinese teams are finally learning you can't beat Koreans with a Korean on your team because they always sandbag for nationalist pride.

drat it's true

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Ah yes return to Korea for less money and a lower chance of domestic success.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Savage Cracker posted:

Ah yes return to Korea for less money and a lower chance of domestic success.
Would you consider success winning a championship in the best region or failing to make it out of quarterfinals

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I would consider success to be whatever Easyhoon did.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Libertine posted:

I would consider success to be whatever Easyhoon did.
I think he actually became a model

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

I think he actually became a model

He won a world championship while routinely stealing the spotlight from the world's best player, accumulated piles of money sandbagging for a Chinese team, and then became a male model. If that's not what success in esports looks like I don't know how else you would define it.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

the face of success in esports is theoddone

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Libertine posted:

He won a world championship while routinely stealing the spotlight from the world's best player, accumulated piles of money sandbagging for a Chinese team, and then became a male model. If that's not what success in esports looks like I don't know how else you would define it.

Yeah this is pretty much the ultimate esports success story.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Libertine posted:

Yeah that's basically the dream, isn't it? I don't even think that really happens in physical sports, either.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 26, 2016

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Would you consider success winning a championship in the best region or failing to make it out of quarterfinals

The chances of Winning LCK if they return is kinda low I'd say. Most of the Koreans currently making a big buck in China would just become the 17th super star on Longzhu or the King Kong Monster if they returned to Korea.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

Pre-Season rumors already swirling, Mata/Looper are leaving EDG (With Mata being a coach and Looper becoming a coach)

*RNG

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
went to semis at msg. friday night was incredible.

bengi is funny as hell. i do not understand his psychology. he must not give the least poo poo when the stakes aren't high. he looked so bored during intros, and again after game 2 when they showed kkoma giving notes to the team in the green room.

or, alternatively (the theory i support), he is or is possessed by an ancient evil that can only be roused after long periods of rest and rituals so taxing kkoma can only afford to perform them during playoffs.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Zerilan posted:

Yeah this is pretty much the ultimate esports success story.

e: he also got the best championship skin bar none

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 27, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait Easyhoon became a model?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
if lots of kr players leave china just get S4 OMG back together please. that team was cool

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Jesus the remix they tried to do of Ignite sounds really bad

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wait Easyhoon became a model?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Is there any hope for western teams after this worlds or is Korea just going to stomp the gently caress out of everyone forever?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Western teams are improving, slowly. I don't think it gets better until next year even ranked starts with all of the changes though. The rewards and incentive poo poo riot is doing for high end solo queue is actually making it worth it for people to tryhard and the big issue of top end of solo queue loving blows is kinda going away. We won't see major improvements until there are big team infrastructural changes but maybe next year more than one EU/NA team makes it out of groups

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Is there any hope for western teams after this worlds or is Korea just going to stomp the gently caress out of everyone forever?
From what I heard from people in the scenes, TSM put in as much practice time as Korean teams but were really stupid about how they went about it. IE: Most top Korean teams will leave high priority champions open to see exactly what they can do and test out counters, or they'll use a scrim to practice one specific goal and just screw around the rest of the time so they aren't showing too much to other teams but TSM would go 100% in scrims the same way they would on stage so they were advertising all their priority picks and playstyle which gave a lot of teams very easy accessible information on how to play against them. FWIW I think CLG and Cloud9 are on the right track right now, with C9 hiring a Korean to coach for them that was always hailed as being really intelligent, they just need to redo their roster at the moment. CLG has some really brilliant Pick/Ban and comps but I think they might be working with the worst midlaner at World's since he's essentially an Aurelion Sol one-trick.

I think H2K were ready to become the best Western team at World's since Season 3 started, but their pick/ban was atrocious (Giving CuVee two really great champions while he's been over-performing, giving Ryu bad matchups, and on top of Ryu sinking and Forgiven being invisible).

There's not a huge gap between the skill in players anymore, Jankos and Bjergsen still looked like two of the best players at the tournament but the big difference is Macro/Map play and picks/bans. The other large thing that's keeping the gap between Korea and the rest of the world is simply how few international tournaments their are. As TSM and Flash Wolves showed, you can stomp your region but if you're not being tested against better teams your ceiling is still much lower than practicing in Korea, where the teams that didn't even make it to World's are still better than any other region's best team.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

People ask this every year, and I don't think so no.

The gap that will never be closed is unflinching discipline to the game, which is a super lovely way to lead your life, but is completely standard for all the Korean teams who are practicing, drilling, scrimming, basically their entire waking lives.

Meanwhile one of the highest rated Western teams implodes in the playoffs because half of their team was busy playing Overwatch.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
It was pretty telling how H2K could have twice as many kills and still be behind because they were just running around solo queue style as SSG were getting objectives every time H2K made a play

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

me

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RealFoxy posted:

From what I heard from people in the scenes, TSM put in as much practice time as Korean teams but were really stupid about how they went about it. IE: Most top Korean teams will leave high priority champions open to see exactly what they can do and test out counters, or they'll use a scrim to practice one specific goal and just screw around the rest of the time so they aren't showing too much to other teams but TSM would go 100% in scrims the same way they would on stage so they were advertising all their priority picks and playstyle which gave a lot of teams very easy accessible information on how to play against them. FWIW I think CLG and Cloud9 are on the right track right now, with C9 hiring a Korean to coach for them that was always hailed as being really intelligent, they just need to redo their roster at the moment. CLG has some really brilliant Pick/Ban and comps but I think they might be working with the worst midlaner at World's since he's essentially an Aurelion Sol one-trick.

I think H2K were ready to become the best Western team at World's since Season 3 started, but their pick/ban was atrocious (Giving CuVee two really great champions while he's been over-performing, giving Ryu bad matchups, and on top of Ryu sinking and Forgiven being invisible).

There's not a huge gap between the skill in players anymore, Jankos and Bjergsen still looked like two of the best players at the tournament but the big difference is Macro/Map play and picks/bans. The other large thing that's keeping the gap between Korea and the rest of the world is simply how few international tournaments their are. As TSM and Flash Wolves showed, you can stomp your region but if you're not being tested against better teams your ceiling is still much lower than practicing in Korea, where the teams that didn't even make it to World's are still better than any other region's best team.

Does Riot still have that ban on western teams traveling to Korea to practice

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

AnonSpore posted:

No, that's literally where every team went to boot camp

Goobuster this gap isn't present in DotA is it? I haven't been following pro DotA that well lately. Like China was dominant for a time but aren't the best teams a mix of like Na EU and Asian teams?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

I don't recall if there was a hard rule preventing them or not but when OGN was running Korean league they openly invited foreign teams to come in for a season, I think Champions Winter only overlapped with Spring LCS by a couple weeks but Riot wouldn't let teams compete in both.

Now I think there's just legitimate import rules stopping a team from doing that so teams only get to go over in the off-seasons.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Luna Was Here posted:

No, that's literally where every team went to boot camp

Goobuster this gap isn't present in DotA is it? I haven't been following pro DotA that well lately. Like China was dominant for a time but aren't the best teams a mix of like Na EU and Asian teams?

Its not at all present, the regions are pretty equal save for EU and CIS being weak this year. China was mostly dominant when there wasn't that much information on the game and people were generally very bad at the game. After TI2 in 2012, there was a lot more international competition and I feel this is one of the reasons why the west was able to catch up to China.

Nowadays the strong regions is a mix between NA, SEA and China. China won this year's TI, but this wasn't really indicative of China's skill since it was a young team with crazy ideas on how to play whereas other traditional Chinese teams didn't really stray too off from the meta. The team that won, Wings, played a lot more like a western team.

Is Worlds the only time LoL teams from all regions play each other? I feel like this and having single elimination brackets favors the Korean teams way too much.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Is Worlds the only time LoL teams from all regions play each other? I feel like this and having single elimination brackets favors the Korean teams way too much.

There's a "half-time" tournament called the Mid Season Invitational which is smaller in scope and is like a mini-worlds, and there is usually an offseason international like IEM or something but a lot of times teams will be in the middle of retooling rosters or trying out rookie players and the competition level of some of them can be questionable.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
tbh the primary reason why there is parity in Dota is because Koreans don't give a poo poo about the game

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Libertine posted:

There's a "half-time" tournament called the Mid Season Invitational which is smaller in scope and is like a mini-worlds, and there is usually an offseason international like IEM or something but a lot of times teams will be in the middle of retooling rosters or trying out rookie players and the competition level of some of them can be questionable.
People were so happy that CLG beat Jin Air at IEM but they had just lost all of their star players and were in the process of rebuilding with only like, two remaining players. Jin Air had nothing to lose at that tournament so they just sent a bunch of rookies to see what would stick. There's no way CLG would have beaten Jin Air by the time they were in Playoffs that same season.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
If CLG beat actual good Korean teams like SKT and Rox Tigers, they could probably beat a bad team like Jin Air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

CLG has some really brilliant Pick/Ban and comps but I think they might be working with the worst midlaner at World's since he's essentially an Aurelion Sol one-trick.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. They genuinely have one of the best macro games in the West from the games I saw them play at Worlds, but they're hamstrung by having fairly middle-of-the-road talent. Huhi's the only one who's aggressively bad (when he's not playing AS), but no one really stands out as a shining star in comparison to other players at their skill level, either.

It does feel like the pieces are finally starting to fit together for the West, but there's still a frankly incredible gulf that they need to cross to get there. Part of that is having an environment conducive to practice, as you mentioned, which is tough considering that Western teams only really have scrim opportunities against other Western teams, and given TSM's outstanding LCS run, I doubt the competition to really sharpen your teeth is there yet. It feels like the only real opportunity for an NA team at this point would be to move to Korea for a season and compete their asses off, but that's unlikely to happen.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 27, 2016

• Locked thread