Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This bargain basement WordPress hosting company is pissing me off.

"Hey, let me transfer this domain."
You need to pay your last invoice first.
"Okay, that sounds reasonable. AP, please pay these people."
We've received payment. Thank you.
"Uh, how about that domain transfer?"
We'll create a new GoDaddy account and let you know when we have the credentials for you.
"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what"
Here's the credentials, bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sirotan posted:

If you aren't already using their software, the free versions are extremely robust and should give you a really good idea of what to expect before buying.

Edit: when I think about how many posts I've made of this forum over the years about PDQ Inventory/Deploy, I really shoulda worked a sales commission deal with Admin Arsenal or something :v:

Oh I know, I have the free versions of both products installed. I need some enterprise/pro features for certain deployment packages to work correctly, and Inventory's AD Sync feature is also enterprise/pro only.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
We had some non IT related incidents this week which has led to management generally flapping about stuff

The boss and his deputy seem to be involved and the deputy asked about a CCTV and security system I'm responsible for...

My answer was CCTV fine, security system "intermittent at best" I'm sure you know what that means

Deputy replies, disappointing as I have received assurances it works.

So we have 2 possible scenarios here as deputy is new and I'm thinking this through -

1. My boss who isn't technically minded just said it works without talking to me, this was the initial conclusion that, admittedly, I jumped to.

2. The new deputy just puts things like "I've been told it works" in emails to create an audit trail that potentially absolves them of being aware of any legacy problems and no one ever gave that assurance (they shouldn't of)

I like the new deputy more than my boss, but like doesn't mean trust of course...
Scenario 2 actually only came into my head as I wrote this post out so I think it's unlikely

Anyway, in response to that I said well gently caress if it doesn't work I will prioritise fixing that poo poo asap like the subservient person I am of course ;) (bit more to it than that but I say the right things)

The bosses emailed my boss saying we need to discuss so I guess it's scenario 1 as they are probably going to say why did you say it works when angry armadillo says its fubar...

Unfortunately I am working abroad for 3 weeks so I won't see the rage on her face when my boss realises they've been summoned to explain their BS. I guess my assistant will get it in the neck when my boss goes in and says "did you know this didn't work" I guess I will prepare him for that scenario before I go.

I started this post thinking my bosses poo poo pisses me off and finished it feeling pleased I've probably caused my boss a difficult conversation - hasn't this has been cathartic

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Please don't do this.

Other than that, sounds like somebody will have fun with that small brush fire.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

These loving poo poo 'Cisco' small business switches that seem to have been sent to test me don't have a nice simple working equivalent to 'switchport voice vlan'. You get a telephony OUI feature that has you constantly updating a MAC address table or newly purchased stuff won't work, or you can type IOS commands into the CLI and it will trigger some smartport macro crap that doesn't seem to behave properly.

These are such a huge pain in the dick and it's going to be cheaper to just buy good switches than fight these any more.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
If it's anything like an SG-200 (or if it is an Sg-200) it's just a rebranded Linksys switch haha

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

anthonypants posted:

We'll create a new GoDaddy account and let you know when we have the credentials for you.

Let me guess, switching accounts triggered some kind of no-transfers for 90 days or something bullshit too?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gounads posted:

Let me guess, switching accounts triggered some kind of no-transfers for 90 days or something bullshit too?
I have no idea but now I have to change the password and the whois has my name and work address and work phone number and why couldn't they just loving initiate a domain transfer themselves what the gently caress is their deal

And they're still hosting DNS for this domain on their site so I can't get the zone file without spending another day following up on this bullshit with them which is definitely something I wanted to continue to do

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

milk milk lemonade posted:

If it's anything like an SG-200 (or if it is an Sg-200) it's just a rebranded Linksys switch haha

I think they've been shot of Linksys long enough that these are a Cisco product, but the software is still terrible.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

I think they've been shot of Linksys long enough that these are a Cisco product, but the software is still terrible.

I spent a lovely three months back in the winter of 2013-14 in charge of a network built around those rebranded Linksys pieces of poo poo. They said they saved $35k by going with those instead of real switches. By the time I got laid off they were in the hole a considerable amount in downtime.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

milk milk lemonade posted:

We just replaced nine of these with real switches at a branch last weekend. They were not good switches.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Level3 just called me back and let me know that the line I am seeing 23% packet loss on is working perfectly and that I need to troubleshoot it more on my end. I asked him how he came to this conclusion and he just said his tech was onsite and the tests run fine.

Only problem is that our "site" closed at 6 and if he is indeed on site at 9pm I should be calling the police. Long story short, what they believed was my internal circuit ID was wrong and they were troubleshooting the wrong line. Someone got on to give me a sturn talking to about me not knowing my own circuit id and ended with me making GBS threads on them in a glorious fashion. I could give a poo poo what the gently caress their internal organization is. I lease 1 whole line from them and if they can't figure out what the gently caress that is on them. gently caress you goodnight.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Always be your own admin/tech/billing contacts. Never let a vendor "handle" your domains.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Collateral Damage posted:

Always be your own admin/tech/billing contacts. Never let a vendor "handle" your domains.
Well of course, and he knows this, but his adventure is moving away from that vendor led to this scenario.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Welp, the whole Office 365 admin backend seems to be running like poo poo and new accounts are taking forever to get mailboxes allocated :yaycloud:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Welp, the whole Office 365 admin backend seems to be running like poo poo and new accounts are taking forever to get mailboxes allocated :yaycloud:

The whole Office 365 backend is one huge clusterfuck.

..that runs on an IBM S/360

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything in computing is always a huge clusterfuck, all that matters is whether it works and is easy to use. :colbert:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
How do I get users to stop sharing passwords? It seems like it's more common the higher up the chain you go. Not just sharing, WRITING THEM DOWN and passing them like notes in health class. Am I just pissing up a rope to even try?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

AlternateAccount posted:

How do I get users to stop sharing passwords? It seems like it's more common the higher up the chain you go. Not just sharing, WRITING THEM DOWN and passing them like notes in health class. Am I just pissing up a rope to even try?

Pissing napalm up a rope on fire while hanging over a tank full of sharks with piranha's with laser beams on their frickin backs.

What you need to do is cover your rear end with emails stating (objectively) why its a bad idea and can cause problems, and do that frequently. Then, the first time some C-level gets canned and revenge-logs-on and nukes stuff, you have your rear end (somewhat) protected.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlternateAccount posted:

Set passwords to expire every 24 hours :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

The person that figures that out and puts it in a book will be a billionaire overnight.

The only fix is to make their token super hard to share.. 2 factor or some kind of badge reader or ubikey type solution.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just had a conversation with a client that works for a news agency that has an external website that users can log in and generate content. They want a method of two factor auth, but don't want the user to have to do anything. OTP on an app on their phones are no, tokens with a OTP are no, text messages with a code, no, phone call with a code, no.

I can't really figure out what they want.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Siochain posted:

Pissing napalm up a rope on fire while hanging over a tank full of sharks with piranha's with laser beams on their frickin backs.

What you need to do is cover your rear end with emails stating (objectively) why its a bad idea and can cause problems, and do that frequently. Then, the first time some C-level gets canned and revenge-logs-on and nukes stuff, you have your rear end (somewhat) protected.

Well the IT division has made many statements in every medium saying that this is a bad idea and strictly verboten. But we're a public company. The consequences of some of these folks leaking a ton of data could have some pretty major repercussions.

xzzy posted:

The person that figures that out and puts it in a book will be a billionaire overnight.

The only fix is to make their token super hard to share.. 2 factor or some kind of badge reader or ubikey type solution.

The same people who need to be under this sort of protection are the same people who can immediately veto such things once it becomes anything resembling onerous.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I just had a conversation with a client that works for a news agency that has an external website that users can log in and generate content. They want a method of two factor auth, but don't want the user to have to do anything. OTP on an app on their phones are no, tokens with a OTP are no, text messages with a code, no, phone call with a code, no.

To be able to say "two factor" without making any changes at all?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

The same people who need to be under this sort of protection are the same people who can immediately veto such things once it becomes anything resembling onerous.

I didn't say it was a realistic solution, just that it's the only effective solution. :v:

You can't make people not be stupid so you have to limit their opportunities to be stupid.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

AlternateAccount posted:

Well the IT division has made many statements in every medium saying that this is a bad idea and strictly verboten. But we're a public company. The consequences of some of these folks leaking a ton of data could have some pretty major repercussions.

Do you have two friends on the team?

If so, set something up where one guy gets 'suspended'[1] because of something the other guy did with his account[2]

[1] takes a day off
[2] start rumour he sent a dick pic to the boss

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

These loving poo poo 'Cisco' small business switches that seem to have been sent to test me don't have a nice simple working equivalent to 'switchport voice vlan'. You get a telephony OUI feature that has you constantly updating a MAC address table or newly purchased stuff won't work, or you can type IOS commands into the CLI and it will trigger some smartport macro crap that doesn't seem to behave properly.

These are such a huge pain in the dick and it's going to be cheaper to just buy good switches than fight these any more.

The SG series do have a voice VLAN if that's what you're working with ? You set it up with "voice vlan id ____ " and the corresponding commands on how you want it to trigger it instead of loving around with the OUI stuff. It can also learn it from CDP/LLDP if you're plugging it in somewhere it can learn, just be careful with the auto smartports if they're not what you want. If you drop CDP/LLDP later it will hose up tagging and VLAN assignments if the configuration had built it self with them in there.

E: I'm operating over 150 SG300-28P/28PP switches, and have had one failure. The later software images to get rid of that poo poo menu thing are a must, but it really isn't that bad for what you pay for. It is a departure from real IOS but they have some good stuff in them if you're just doing some mid level networking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Give Duo Push a look. It's a two-factor authentication service that just pushes a simple yes/no button selection to a smartphone app. You can use it for starting apps, accessing network locations, or even just logging into Windows.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Only tell people half their passwords, tell the other half to someone else so they both need to be present when logging in :downs:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

18 Character Limit posted:

To be able to say "two factor" without making any changes at all?

Can a certificate installed to the TPM that runs a second layer of authenticating the machine be counted as two-factor in this case?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sickening posted:

Level3 just called me back and let me know that the line I am seeing 23% packet loss on is working perfectly and that I need to troubleshoot it more on my end. I asked him how he came to this conclusion and he just said his tech was onsite and the tests run fine.

Only problem is that our "site" closed at 6 and if he is indeed on site at 9pm I should be calling the police. Long story short, what they believed was my internal circuit ID was wrong and they were troubleshooting the wrong line. Someone got on to give me a sturn talking to about me not knowing my own circuit id and ended with me making GBS threads on them in a glorious fashion. I could give a poo poo what the gently caress their internal organization is. I lease 1 whole line from them and if they can't figure out what the gently caress that is on them. gently caress you goodnight.

Try having three circuits go into the same building with Level 3. Good loving luck getting them to look at the right one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DigitalMocking posted:

Try having three circuits go into the same building with Level 3. Good loving luck getting them to look at the right one.

My favorite right now is the auto closing of tickets. it appears every time a new tech picks up the ticket they ignore everything in the ticket and check the port status. When the port status is showing up they close the ticket and set and auto close window. What happens when you have a circuit that is experiencing packet loss? :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The username is one fact, the password is another fact. Presto, zero effort two factor!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

AlternateAccount posted:

Tried putting forward examples on what could happen and the consequences? If yes and it failed, there is nothing you can do.

If you want to risk loosing your job, log in as the CEO and offer raises to everything (CEO version of buying donuts). Shrug when they ask who it was, since the CEO is obviously the only one that could access their account, right? (You don't want to do this)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my local AT&T people are loving notorious about not checking the circuit IDs before doing poo poo like disconnects. its a rule at all our clients that if an AT&T person shows up you stop them and call us because they need adult supervision at all times.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Hmm, yes, let's make a rule so that any email with an attachment that gets sent to ap@domain.com gets redirected to Oracle Cloud. Surely there's no way this will backfire. We even tested it with an email address we weren't already using, so we know this is going to work, with zero negative side effects.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sickening posted:

My favorite right now is the auto closing of tickets. it appears every time a new tech picks up the ticket they ignore everything in the ticket and check the port status. When the port status is showing up they close the ticket and set and auto close window. What happens when you have a circuit that is experiencing packet loss? :iiam:

We have a DIA link in Australia with them. It will routinely go from 10M to 2M. Nothing wrong with the circuit, no packet loss, just 80% of the bandwidth gone.

Those tickets make me want to cry. I give them to my padawan now, because gently caress him and all his youthful energy and positivity.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AlternateAccount posted:

Can a certificate installed to the TPM that runs a second layer of authenticating the machine be counted as two-factor in this case?

I think this is what they are going with, but there's also a mobile client that would introduce a layer of complexity to using a cert, I'm not sure of the details of that, though.

The way the guy explained that his people found it too inconvenient to open an app on their phone and get a code, and would revolt if asked to do so.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dunno-Lars posted:

Tried putting forward examples on what could happen and the consequences? If yes and it failed, there is nothing you can do.

If you want to risk loosing your job, log in as the CEO and offer raises to everything (CEO version of buying donuts). Shrug when they ask who it was, since the CEO is obviously the only one that could access their account, right? (You don't want to do this)

Better idea would be to do it from the CEOs machine, or his assistant, with a different C levels account.

In other words, show how easy it would be to frame a C level with that practice, so maybe they understand how it can hurt them personally.

You still probably shouldn't do this(without someone above you signing off so they take responsibility)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Public as in publicly-traded? Aren't you SOX-regulated then?