Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Croatoan posted:

So am I poo poo out of luck if I want to watch hockey but I don't want to sign up for Sling or Vue?

NHL.tv plus unblockus or Yonder.tv. Also, Vue does get local sports channels in certain markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Krailor posted:

You can change the default transcoding quality on the Extend to None so that you get the full MPEG2 stream and then change it on a per-device level if that device can't handle the full stream.

That is true, if I gave the impression that the one with the transcoder can't behave like a normal HDHomerun that was a mistake on my part. You can absolutely turn off the hardware transcoder.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I signed up for the free trial of yonder.tv (basically like unblockus or adfreetime) and so far, everything seems to be working great. Except for Hulu.

Hulu works with the Windows 10 app, and that seems to be it. On PS4, it basically just doesn't load. In any of my browsers on the PC, it complains that javascript isn't enabled. I haven't been able to test it on my Roku yet.

:google: says this is a thing that sometimes randomly happens to people, and it usually resolves itself after a day or two. I can't help but think me loving around with my DNS settings has somehow tripped up Hulu? Thoughts?

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Krailor posted:

You can change the default transcoding quality on the Extend to None so that you get the full MPEG2 stream and then change it on a per-device level if that device can't handle the full stream.

If you want to use a cable card the only option is the 3 tuner Prime.

If you're looking for one to use with an antenna then you want either the Connect or Extend. The Connect just provides the full uncompressed MPEG2 stream to connected devices while the Extend can encode the signal to H.264 which allows playback on a wider range of devices and/or over a crappier network. Generally speaking if you have a decent home network (AC/Wired) and are using a fairly modern device for viewing (PC/FireTV/Shield/fairly recent Roku) then the Connect is fine. If you have a crappy network (N only) or are using an underpowered device (RPi, old Roku, toaster) you might want to consider the Extend.

However both the Connect and Extend only have 2 tuners so if you want to be able to use all 3 of your TVs at the same time then you would need to get two devices in order to have enough tuners for all of your TVs.

Thanks! One last question for everyone, if I decide to go the Xbox One route, is the Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner still the best tuner for it?

https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Digital-Tuners-Capture-1578/dp/B00XF7Z5DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476629722&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+one+tuner

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Thanks! One last question for everyone, if I decide to go the Xbox One route, is the Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner still the best tuner for it?

https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Digital-Tuners-Capture-1578/dp/B00XF7Z5DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476629722&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+one+tuner

It's the only one, so yes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Weak, AMC can't pause on Sling. Can it on Vue?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

TraderStav posted:

Yes but it's complicated? One of the weirder aspects of Vue is the handoff between live TV and the cloud DVR. The live TV buffer is very limited and you can only skip by time increments, no fast forward or rewind, and you can start the program from the beginning but you still lose fast forward and rewind control. But as soon as the program has finished airing it goes to the cloud DVR and full playback and control start.

I have to believe there are bizarre licensing issues involved because I don't understand why such a slam dunk service is un-recommendable to so many people. I just negotiated my dad's TV bill down and it killed me that I could have saved him $60 more a month had it not involved him hating me and his TV because I barely understand how all of this works.

Sony why?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just started my trial of Vue. Using it on a PS4 and a Roku box.

The interface on Roku is kinda trash, but the actual performance is great so far. If my parents can withstand the Roku interface, I think cable is gone.

I know apparently Vue is much better on a Fire TV then Roku, but my parents have been using Roku for ~4 years now so I don't wanna blow up their world completely :v:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Content owners. They are why everything is terrible.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So you cannot start a live episode on AMC and hit pause because one of my kids needs something and pick back up where I left off?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TraderStav posted:

So you cannot start a live episode on AMC and hit pause because one of my kids needs something and pick back up where I left off?

You can but the buffer is shockingly short if you are used to a traditional DVR. I mean it is great in comparison to Sling which has no DVR much less than a 28 day unlimited one but it is still jarring switching over from my TiVo which I use for OTA.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Three Olives posted:

You can but the buffer is shockingly short if you are used to a traditional DVR. I mean it is great in comparison to Sling which has no DVR much less than a 28 day unlimited one but it is still jarring switching over from my TiVo which I use for OTA.

Any ability to quantify the shortness? Five minutes? Ten?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Any ability to quantify the shortness? Five minutes? Ten?

No idea because there is no progress bar but pretty sure is is around 10 mins. Maybe. I'm feeling generous.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks. Will do the trial to see for myself. So far it's pretty slick and polished on the FireTV. More so than Sling. If I ever feel the need to get cable TV back in my life full-time I think this is the ticket.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

So is that Vue behavior channel-specific? Because I had a different experience last week on FX, got home 30 minutes late , started American Horror Story from the beginning and caught back up to live in the last 10-15 minutes of the show skipping commercials.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
The live DVR is 30 minutes on PS4, 5 minutes everywhere else. Guessing they can use the hard drive in the ps4 to allow for a longer time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vue sounds terrible.

I mean maybe it's the best of terrible options, but it's like they're trying to drive people to pirating poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Vue sounds terrible.

I mean maybe it's the best of terrible options, but it's like they're trying to drive people to pirating poo poo.

These things are all just the second coming of cable, now with buffering. I really don't know why they're talked about in the context of cord cutting.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TheScott2K posted:

These things are all just the second coming of cable, now with buffering. I really don't know why they're talked about in the context of cord cutting.

No annual contracts, cancel any time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I noticed that the Vue programming costs weren't that much different than locally available options.

What is attractive to me is that it's programming that isn't location dependent. When I moved a few years back my CableTV options were limited as hell. Even in 2016 they're using cable boxes that I had in 2002. It got to a point where I was begging to overpay for Comcast.

That being said, I don't think I watch enough TV to justify even Sling or Vue. I just love the idea of being disconnected from whatever local Monopoly is around.

Now the high speed internet is another story altogether, the bastards.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

No annual contracts, cancel any time.

I don't have to call every six months ranting and raving that I'm cancelling in order to pay a reasonable price (that's still $60 per month more than Vue + Internet).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Vue sounds terrible.

Yeah I pretty much agree. I don't think it would be worth 1/2 of my previous cable bill to get a crappy version full of compromises.

Happy I'm able to get a crappy version full of compromises for free via a borrowed unused cable login. :v:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Looks like the DirecTV streaming service will be around 35 a month for 100 channels

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/25/att-directv-now/

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vintimus Prime posted:

Looks like the DirecTV streaming service will be around 35 a month for 100 channels

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/25/att-directv-now/

If it includes ESPN I'm getting my parents a cheap HTPC and a wireless keyboard. They pay wayyyyyy the hell too much for cable.

Or will it work with something like Roku or Chromecast?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

EugeneJ posted:

If it includes ESPN I'm getting my parents a cheap HTPC and a wireless keyboard. They pay wayyyyyy the hell too much for cable.

In the press release they specifically mentioned Chromecast, but not Roku. Rumor is they're probably waiting until the new Roku OS is out later this year.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

In the press release they specifically mentioned Chromecast, but not Roku. Rumor is they're probably waiting until the new Roku OS is out later this year.

Fantastic.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
It seems very promising but if they want me to sign a contract, no thanks.....surely they wouldn't, though? Or maybe that's why the price looks so good...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

You know Sling has ESPN right now, right?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

You know Sling has ESPN right now, right?

So does Vue.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

TraderStav posted:

I really wish I had done more research into the actual abilities of Sling before I signed up for the 3 months, because, hey, free Roku!

AMC no pause, BBA America is basically just Star Trek:TNG, the IFC shows are pretty limited, TNT, truTV, TBS with (virtually) no on demand.

Then again, I did get it mostly for The First 48 (and Roku upgrade- they sent me a Premier, instead of a 2), so.. :v:

I'd love if there was something that actually bridged the gap between basic cable and Netflix/Prime Streaming.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

West SAAB Story posted:

I'd love if there was something that actually bridged the gap between basic cable and Netflix/Prime Streaming.
I honestly don't mean for this to be snarky, or necessarily pointed at you specifically, but what gap? I mean, what's in the middle that in effect doesn't boil down to "(cheaper) cable + a robust on-demand library, both tightly integrated"?

I know a la carte channels are high on peoples' wish lists, but what else are people looking for?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Functional pause/ rewind and on demand for content are the biggies. I have zero patience for streaming an actual broadcast channel. Why the gently caress do I want to tune in at 7 or whatever to see what I'm interested in?

These are becoming more and more common but not fast enough.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I really like Vue for the DVR. I don't get to watch much love sports anymore so its nice to have. Plus there are a ton of shows that I would have never had the time to watch that I can lay in bed and catch up on.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I honestly don't mean for this to be snarky, or necessarily pointed at you specifically, but what gap? I mean, what's in the middle that in effect doesn't boil down to "(cheaper) cable + a robust on-demand library, both tightly integrated"?

I know a la carte channels are high on peoples' wish lists, but what else are people looking for?

Cyrano nailed it. Due to the archaic licensing restrictions and incompatibilities among different implementations of the streaming services, it's still nowhere mirror the ability of cable and a basic DVR. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love my Netflix, but having the ability to watch current television with the abilities to pause and structure different playback times without the necessity to watch it within days really keeps the majority of the services neutered to the point that I have to question whether it's actually worthwhile.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you just want to watch shows and don't care about linear TV, why not just buy the seasons from Google Play/iTunes/Amazon/Vudu?
Or should be cheaper than subscribing to one of those streaming services. There's only a handful of things that can't be bought and watched the day after they air.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah I have a few shows I keep up with but for the most part (The Flash is my crack) I just had to change my mentality of letting a season or whatever become available to me. It wasn't that hard after I had gotten used to Netflix dumping full seasons. I just have to chill out and forget about a show until later that year.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Croatoan posted:

Yeah I have a few shows I keep up with but for the most part (The Flash is my crack) I just had to change my mentality of letting a season or whatever become available to me. It wasn't that hard after I had gotten used to Netflix dumping full seasons. I just have to chill out and forget about a show until later that year.

This!

Once you make this adjustment the TV universe changes in good ways for you. My TV-watching has almost zero ties to TV air schedules.

One downside is if you care about talking about whatever show with other people because you're never on the same episode as everyone else.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Pretty sure you can watch The Flash through the CW app for free.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Burden posted:

Pretty sure you can watch The Flash through the CW app for free.

I do. I just have to watch it on Wednesdays. I was saying rather than waiting for an entire season to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

One downside is if you care about talking about whatever show with other people because you're never on the same episode as everyone else.

I don't know how this is not a huge component of watching Television for everyone, at least on a seasonal basis, but to each their own.