Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Josef bugman posted:

I don't understand why "Pleb" means something bad. In the Republican Roman era it may have meant "the mob" but Plebeians were the largest class and, if we count the equities as closer to them than the Patricians, generally produced just as much power for the Romans as any one else. I hate the idea that even after thousands of years some dick-hole is still sat somewhere thinking of themselves as "Patrician" sincerely.

I dunno, maybe it would have been better for Civilization if we'd learned less from the Romans and Greeks and more from the Gauls.

I'm actually Cicero IRL.

AMA about how Caesar was a big bully!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RaspberryCommie posted:

I dunno if this is the joke, but all of those things are on the X chromosome. The reason why those (mostly) affect men is because women have a second X chromosome that basically overrides the bad one, while men don't.

Women know the importance of backups.

But I think I may have found, and I may be giving him too much credit, this idiot's potential source for this line of thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/science/14gene.html

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

china bot posted:

posted on twitter by Sean Hannity with the comment "Journalism is DEAD IN AMERICA!"

Yes, everyone DOES hate you when you're a gigantic crybaby rear end in a top hat who's not fit to lead a country.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

china bot posted:

posted on twitter by Sean Hannity with the comment "Journalism is DEAD IN AMERICA!"

Yes. Asking a presidential candidate questions, and reporting on things they have done mean the DEATH of journalism.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's actually about ethics in political journalism.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

FirstAidKite posted:

:|

She unfriended me, ,which is a shame since that was p much the last of the family I had any contact with, but something is pretty clearly wrong with her. I mean, seriously, I just wish I could understand how these people think, where they can look at facts straight in the face and just ignore them and continue to ignore them all while making wild claims like "if you know how taxes work, you must not be disabled" and "you can't know how taxes work because you are disabled" :\

Don't worry, we're your family now.

Also I lost it at that BLAH BLAH BLAH post, amazing. You rarely see em be that blatant about it.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
So this is one of the more genuinely unhinged comments I've come across lately

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

More ammunition for those depressing imgur discussion threads where people keep pointing out how this exact thing happens over and over and over and the rest of the community hand waves it away as just a couple bad eggs.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Let's play First Thread Comment vs Last Thread Comment, Youtube Version!

This is from Everything Wrong With The Da Vinci Code in 15 Minutes Or Less.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Even just that last comment is pretty amazing.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

Let's play First Thread Comment vs Last Thread Comment, Youtube Version!

This is from Everything Wrong With The Da Vinci Code in 15 Minutes Or Less.

I feel like 20 posts is a long jump for youtube comments to reach that level of venom. I would have expected 10, maybe.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Intoluene posted:

I feel like 20 posts is a long jump for youtube comments to reach that level of venom. I would have expected 10, maybe.

Looking at the actual comment thread, the thing she is replying to was the sixth reply. So you're not wrong!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

china bot posted:

Still bitter that nobody's calling him, eh? :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

swampland posted:

“average homo has 300 sex partners" factoid actualy just statistical error. average homo has 0 sex partners. Sex Georg, who lives in cave & has over 10,000 sex partners, is an outlier adn should not have been counted

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

swampland posted:

Straight guys are never obsessed about sticking their penises into poopers!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

chitoryu12 posted:

“average homo has 300 sex partners" factoid actualy just statistical error. average homo has 0 sex partners. Sex Georg, who lives in cave & has over 10,000 sex partners, is an outlier adn should not have been counted

Don't cave-shame!

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Bonus earlier comment from them in that thread

Edit: It's in response to the first clip on this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-hKnQ2Tt6A

swampland has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Oct 26, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
"Once upon a time, bigoted assholes tried to block black kids from going to school in Little Rock and the National Guard was called in. A generation later, bigots are preventing white kids from going to school and enjoy the protection of the police."
267 upvotes

"
"Stop discriminating against us because of who we are!!!!!"
Won't let whites pass.
"
321 upvotes

https://m.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/590bow/uc_berkeley_lgbtq_protest_blocks_sather_gate/

The public freakout subreddit is a goldmine.

TheShrike has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Oct 26, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Subjunctive posted:

Because they are making defensive excuses and deflections, not arguing in good faith. Have you really not encountered it before?

Seriously - I stopped having arguments like this after a former co-worker and gun nut couldn't form a coherent sentence to back up anything he said. We'd get in a discussion about immigration and when he got backed into a corner with factual information, he'd change the subject to something else. Last time he tried that I called him a coward and an idiot for refusing to stick to the topic and failing to provide any factual information to back up his claims, and he blocked me :lol:

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

swampland posted:

Sorry for dragging down the average,

Sincerely, a lonely homo

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

swampland posted:

I can't help but read this in my head in an accent.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sex shop clearance rack posted:

Sorry for dragging down the average,

Sincerely, a lonely homo

Somewhere out there is a cock with your name on it, friend. You just have to go out there and find it. Otherwise that guy got a really painful tattoo for nothing.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Plexus Lady still shilling her pyramid scheme diet supplement. Oh, and in case I haven't mentioned in the other posts about this lady---she's a nurse. Because of course she is. There's a huge, depressing number of nurses out there that totally buy into pseudoscience / health bullshit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bean_shadow posted:

Plexus Lady still shilling her pyramid scheme diet supplement. Oh, and in case I haven't mentioned in the other posts about this lady---she's a nurse. Because of course she is. There's a huge, depressing number of nurses out there that totally buy into pseudoscience / health bullshit.

Smart people are even easier to sucker into scams because once they think it works they'll automatically assume everyone else to be the dummies for not seeing how great it is.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

swampland posted:

Bonus earlier comment from them in that thread

Edit: It's in response to the first clip on this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-hKnQ2Tt6A

Bruneace Jennifer :psypop:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bean_shadow posted:

A relatively smart person I went to college with / also a nurse just started doing some mlm kind of thing and is getting kind of salty about people calling her out on it.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Ambitious Spider posted:

A relatively smart person I went to college with / also a nurse just started doing some mlm kind of thing and is getting kind of salty about people calling her out on it.

I wish people would call this person out on it. Most comments are enabling her or gushing about how well Plexus works.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

china bot posted:

How dare he use a John Wick 2 promotional image <:mad:>

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

swampland posted:

"the only male animals that put there penis where poo poo comes out of a body"

LOL at this guy who hasn't heard about the cloaca

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

bean_shadow posted:

It's amazing how many smart professionals have absolutely no critical thinking skills at all. This is exactly why education in the liberal arts is just as important as education in the sciences - because you can know all the background knowledge in the world about human physiology but it does you little good if you don't have the critical thinking skills to evaluate a piece of information you're encountering for the first time.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

SPOOKILY A BIRD posted:

How dare he use a John Wick 2 promotional image <:mad:>

What if Trump killed his dog?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Aramek posted:

What if Trump killed his dog?

You're thinking of Huckabee's kid.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Dogfish posted:

It's amazing how many smart professionals have absolutely no critical thinking skills at all. This is exactly why education in the liberal arts is just as important as education in the sciences - because you can know all the background knowledge in the world about human physiology but it does you little good if you don't have the critical thinking skills to evaluate a piece of information you're encountering for the first time.

It's really sad, some people get their diploma and think it just means they are smart about everything and other people just don't know any better. It reminds me of all the scientists that are against climate change and when you look closer most of them are in fields that don't have anything to do with it and clearly have no clue how any of this works. But nooo, "I'M AN ENGINEER AND I AM SMART AND I CAN TELL YOU CLIMATE CHANGE AIN'T REAL"

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

It's really sad, some people get their diploma and think it just means they are smart about everything and other people just don't know any better. It reminds me of all the scientists that are against climate change and when you look closer most of them are in fields that don't have anything to do with it and clearly have no clue how any of this works. But nooo, "I'M AN ENGINEER AND I AM SMART AND I CAN TELL YOU CLIMATE CHANGE AIN'T REAL"

See: Dr. Ben Carson and Dr. Jill Stein. Stein has flipped flopped with being an anti-vaxxer.

this fish flies
Dec 21, 2007

Don't Give Up The Ship
My friend sent me one of her friend's Facebook post about how they "will know when they have accomplished getting their life together when they are stable enough to own a dog".

My friend was like, yeah that's a nice goal before remembering this person has a two-year-old.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I think I remember first hearing about it on an episode of Bullshit! and they brought up a book about this exact phenomenon.

https://www.amazon.com/People-Believe-Weird-Things-Pseudoscience/dp/0805070893

Not read it so dunno how good it is, but, still. I remember an earlier title was way harsher, along the lines of "Why do smart people believe stupid things?"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

bean_shadow posted:

See: Dr. Ben Carson and Dr. Jill Stein. Stein has flipped flopped with being an anti-vaxxer.

She hasn't flipped her position so much as she realized outright saying it cold be unpopular.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Puppy Time posted:

"the only male animals that put there penis where poo poo comes out of a body"

LOL at this guy who hasn't heard about the cloaca

One time my friend was trying to enjoy seeing the sights of Ottawa for the first time and encountered bunch of anti-gay protesters outside the Parliament buildings. They kept telling him about how only gays engage in buttfucking and HIV only spreads via buttfucking and therefore gays are the sole cause of AIDS. When he tried to say that women/heteros engage in anal sex too and that there are other ways to contract HIV she just kept screaming "YOU ARE BRAINWASHED!!" at him.

These people are loving broken.

Dogfish posted:

Dr. Oz is (was?) supposedly a very accomplished cardiac surgeon. His father, also a surgeon, once told him to go back to doing "real medicine" or something along those lines. I can't remember where I read that and can't seem to find it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

One time my friend was trying to enjoy seeing the sights of Ottawa for the first time and encountered bunch of anti-gay protesters outside the Parliament buildings. They kept telling him about how only gays engage in buttfucking and HIV only spreads via buttfucking and therefore gays are the sole cause of AIDS. When he tried to say that women/heteros engage in anal sex too and that there are other ways to contract HIV she just kept screaming "YOU ARE BRAINWASHED!!" at him.

By that logic all the gays will gently caress eachother into extinction so why bother protesting against them?