Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Special A posted:

I can't give up yet! :)

Does this happen year-round or is this a recent occurrence? If it's only recently, and you are running heat in your house now? Do you have radiant heat running where the pipe is, or a hydronic heating pipe running next to the cold water pipe?

Any chance you can take the temperature of the water, both at the sink in question and at a normal location? We could figure out how much heat is being transferred to the water, which might help in figuring out what could realistically transfer that much heat. Also, do you know if your water lines are copper or pex?

We've been here since the middle of May and it's been a problem since then. Pipes from the heater into the wall are copper. Forced-air heating, no water-pipe heating, but no, we're running the AC still, actually. It's only now dipping into the 60s here in my part of Florida.

I can try to temp the water when I get a chance for sure though! I'll check back with that when I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is your power usage unexpectedly high at any point?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

sidewalk gum posted:

Is your power usage unexpectedly high at any point?

Oh, lord.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

What's the implication here? :stare:

I'm not aware of any spikes...our electric bills have been fairly constant and we don't get unusual dimming or anything.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

D34THROW posted:

What's the implication here? :stare:

I'm not aware of any spikes...our electric bills have been fairly constant and we don't get unusual dimming or anything.

That the water is heated by going through an energized pipe that is in contact with a frayed wire. The electric bills would be quite high I think.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Looks fine to me!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Bozart posted:

That the water is heated by going through an energized pipe that is in contact with a frayed wire. The electric bills would be quite high I think.

Wouldn't that lead to being shocked by the water coming out of the cold? We're on budget billing or whatever the gently caress it is so it's $90 a month now, but I think our first electric bill was about $300 (we moved from Maryland, so that's normal, but...still). If I borrowed an ohmmeter or voltmeter would that show up?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bozart posted:

That would be impossible. Water and copper are good conductors. The circuit breaker would trip before that could happen.

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!
Hypothetically, someone could have connected a load and used the pipe as the neutral, assuming it is properly bonded, which would limit the current that runs through it so the breaker doesn't trip. Sounds pretty ridiculous though it would be a good crappy construction story.

I guess if you wanted to check this, you could kill the power at your house (assuming you don't have a well) and then run the water and see if it gets cold again.

Two other questions: if you set the washer to cold, does it produce cold water, or is it also warm? Is the cold water line feeding the hot water heater warm, or is it cold as expected?

Special A fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 26, 2016

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Special A posted:

Two other questions: if you set the washer to cold, does it produce cold water, or is it also warm? Is the cold water line feeding the hot water heater warm, or is it cold as expected?

Comes out cold when the wash is cold. I'll check the cold water line tonight.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Wasabi the J posted:

Thanks guys, great suggestions.

Wiring CAT6 everywhere is great because I don't have to worry about the myriad of RF interference loving with my connectivity; I stream all my TV and movie content, and have gigabit fiber to the home, so being able to make things rock solid is a huge boon in the long run. Being on two or three devices browsing around isn't a big deal, but throw in high def streams and gaming, and suddenly throughput takes a poo poo.

I was going to join in on the helpful suggestions as to what to do for wiring your house, since I did mine about five years ago, but then you said gigabit fiber to the home, so gently caress you. Get hosed. I hate you.

Anyway someone suggested the Magnepull and I'd vote for it over a DIY version of it - the magnet itself is well designed because it's a bulletnose (i.e. easier to guide through holes etc) and the whole thing is drat strong. Careful when putting it back in the case or taking it out since if you get the two stuck together without a wall in the way it's...difficult, to get unstuck.

Fish sticks (the rigid fiberglass rods that screw together) are also much more handy than you'd think, as is a cheap gooseneck camera, usually found on Amazon under car parts because it's used to look inside engines etc. I'd warn you that if you get one of those the lights that are built into them are crap, so you also want to perhaps get a small bright light you can dangle into a hole to light up a wall cavity, otherwise moving the camera around is an exercise in local spot exploration a la an RTS with fog of war enabled.

Check out the company Labor Saving Devices, many of their gizmos actually are useful (the wallplate template with level built in, the various fish sticks and ends, etc).

I used bundled cabling (2 Cat6, 2 quad RG6) to do runs, which was good because it's so stiff that it's hard to bend it enough to kink the Cat6. It's bad because it's stiff and the bundle is large (had to drill 3/4" holes). I'll say that the wire mesh cones that attach to the ends of fish sticks or pull strings are loving worth it - so much better and easier than wrapping electrical tape around the pull string and end of the cable. They operate like a Chinese finger trap, and you just push them on to the end of the cable once you've run your string/stick, then pull, and the more you pull the harder it grips. At times I was yanking pretty hard on the things and it didn't come off. So definitely get those.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Welp, that one section of my fence that was in real bad shape finally gave up the ghost from a whole mess of wind Saturday night:

In getting it out of there and stacked up in a pile to be taken away, I"m actually amazed it stayed up as long as it did. Every board is so absurdly rotten. The posts rotted off at the ground level and that's what finally caused it to fall. I've only owned the home for about a year, the previous owner did zilch in terms of maintance in it, it looks like. And it wasn't painted very well originally, either. From what I can tell, it looks like one, maybe two, layers of paint, no primer. And I"m not entirely convinced the posts were pressure-treated. They're so rotten now it's hard to say.

Thankfully, a contractor is already lined up to replace it, just waiting on my town's absurdly long permitting process.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Fish sticks (the rigid fiberglass rods that screw together) are also much more handy than you'd think.

An absolute Godsend at some houses I went to.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
You need a permit to replace an existing fence? Lame. I recently replaced a section of fence not much bigger than what your picture shows myself. I spent one Saturday removing the broken fence and digging out the old footings, then the next weekend deepening the holes, setting posts and building the new fence and gate. If you're even remotely handy, building a fence is an easy and very satisfying project.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I was going to join in on the helpful suggestions as to what to do for wiring your house, since I did mine about five years ago, but then you said gigabit fiber to the home, so gently caress you. Get hosed. I hate you.

Anyway someone suggested the Magnepull and I'd vote for it over a DIY version of it - the magnet itself is well designed because it's a bulletnose (i.e. easier to guide through holes etc) and the whole thing is drat strong. Careful when putting it back in the case or taking it out since if you get the two stuck together without a wall in the way it's...difficult, to get unstuck.

Fish sticks (the rigid fiberglass rods that screw together) are also much more handy than you'd think, as is a cheap gooseneck camera, usually found on Amazon under car parts because it's used to look inside engines etc. I'd warn you that if you get one of those the lights that are built into them are crap, so you also want to perhaps get a small bright light you can dangle into a hole to light up a wall cavity, otherwise moving the camera around is an exercise in local spot exploration a la an RTS with fog of war enabled.

Check out the company Labor Saving Devices, many of their gizmos actually are useful (the wallplate template with level built in, the various fish sticks and ends, etc).

I used bundled cabling (2 Cat6, 2 quad RG6) to do runs, which was good because it's so stiff that it's hard to bend it enough to kink the Cat6. It's bad because it's stiff and the bundle is large (had to drill 3/4" holes). I'll say that the wire mesh cones that attach to the ends of fish sticks or pull strings are loving worth it - so much better and easier than wrapping electrical tape around the pull string and end of the cable. They operate like a Chinese finger trap, and you just push them on to the end of the cable once you've run your string/stick, then pull, and the more you pull the harder it grips. At times I was yanking pretty hard on the things and it didn't come off. So definitely get those.

Saving this for when my apartment manager tries to evict me for telling them to get the water up to code and we have to buy a house.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

D34THROW posted:

Yep! I'm giving up at this point. I'll post in the plumbing thread at some point, but for right now, I'm just frustrated and need to walk away from it.

Thanks, everyone, for the help!

I do remember that this was a problem with mixing taking place in a washing machine due to it being plumbed incorrectly/backwards. There's no voodoo cosmic ray, so, either that cold line doesn't come from where you think it does, or it is mixing through something else.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I cabled both my parent's houses like this, more or less at least 1 RG6U/Q if not two and 2 Cat5e to each outlet. Trying to pull all of it in one pull is a pain in the rear end but the pull sock is a lifesaver. Keep in mind these cables do have pull strength limits, and if you're yanking the poo poo out of the cable, it's bound up somewhere. Probably the worst thing you could do is shred the cable in the wall somewhere, it would be a total waste. With a flex bit, the sock, pullstring (nylon, poo poo rules), and maybe glowsticks you can more or less fish anything. At some point cutting and repairing the wall is just easier., but not often.

I was trying to keep my mouth shut on the Category 6 until the one guy mentioned running Category 7 (???) cables. There's really no reason to spend on 6 in general, but if you're shopping at Home Depot or wherever you tend to find Leviton or the knock off version (don't buy the knock off), the quality of the Cat5 may not be that good. A decent plenum rated Category 5e is just fine for gigabit, probably even MGig/nbase-T to some extent, 6 offering little or no advantage. There is a lot of lovely 5e out there. 6A would be the premium in the 6 line of things for 10G. 7 is not recognized as a thing as far as I know and hell run fiber if you're going to do that. Panduit makes some nice products if you're looking to go top notch, including keystone snap ins for their plate systems that work with a variety of cable types, for speakers, HDMI, whatever.

There is also such a thing as 28AWG Cat6, which, does not run full performance specification to 100m but can be helpful if you're trying to squeeze in cabling to somewhere. I have seen it in patch assembly but not so much loose cable right now. If you're just going to fish something between two rooms or up from the basement it could come in handy.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

To the guy with the warm water problem: are your cold in/hot out reversed in your water heater? We had a similar symptom at the sink farthest from the water heater where the cold stayed warm but didn't notice it elsewhere. The water heater would still kinda work and give hot water, too, but you might notice it running out quickly. Sure enough, the PO had hosed up and reversed them on installation.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Partycat posted:

7 is not recognized as a thing as far as I know and hell run fiber if you're going to do that.

TIA/EIA does not recognize Cat7, but it is a thing as far as ISO/IEC are concerned. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_11801#CAT7

The same standard defines Categories 8.1 and 8.2, which TIA does recognize.

I totally agree with you though, there's no reason to go beyond Cat6 in a home unless you're just getting 6A to ensure higher quality retail cable. Odds are you won't actually terminate it to Cat6 standards anyways if you're doing it yourself. I'd be willing to bet that good 5e will probably handle 10G well enough that you wouldn't notice problems at normal home distances even though it technically isn't supported.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wolrah posted:

TIA/EIA does not recognize Cat7, but it is a thing as far as ISO/IEC are concerned. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_11801#CAT7

The same standard defines Categories 8.1 and 8.2, which TIA does recognize.

I totally agree with you though, there's no reason to go beyond Cat6 in a home unless you're just getting 6A to ensure higher quality retail cable. Odds are you won't actually terminate it to Cat6 standards anyways if you're doing it yourself. I'd be willing to bet that good 5e will probably handle 10G well enough that you wouldn't notice problems at normal home distances even though it technically isn't supported.

I have 5e and I've had no issues with GigE. Of course my longest run is probably 80' from keystone to patch panel, so it's not like I'm really pushing the spec. I've found my issue was with cheating out on my switches. I have one in the wiring closet (literally the shelf in my closet) and one in my entertainment center, and I was getting all kinds of dropped packets on the wired side. Turns out cheap rear end "GigE" switches aren't that good. I have a repurposed Juniper in the closet I got from work (they were docomming them, should have grabbed two), but I had to replace the one in the entertainment center. I ended up with some kind of Netgear managed switch and haven't had issues since.

HOWEVER, I'm slowly but surely transitioning to 5GHz wireless (almost done). 802.11ac for the clients that do that, 802.11n for the others. Except for my home lab, I really don't see a need for wired any longer since I'm migrated everything 5GHz. Right now, the only things I have wired are my Wireless Router, cable modem, NAS, and PS4. I was concerned about my Steam Link but it works great on 5GHz 802.11ac (and the game PC is running with a 3x3 ASUS 802.11ac card).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 27, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
5e is fully supported for GigE. Even Cat5 is.

Somehow I've never actually experienced packet loss caused by a switch, even in 11 years of MSP work. I've had plenty of dead ports but the only loss-causing network devices I've ever found were hubs.

I definitely can't deny that 5GHz WiFi is completely tolerable for a single user, even for something like a Steam Link. My bedroom only has one ethernet jack because it's a rental house and there are only so many walls I can put a wire down without major work that I don't feel like putting in to it, so everything attached to my TV in there is wireless. It's just fine if no one else is doing anything. It's not so fine when anyone else in the house is doing something else on the wireless network that involves significant traffic.

The wired Steam Link on the main TV has no such problems, no matter what anyone's doing on the LAN it works fine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

To clarify, it was the poo poo switch dropping packets. It was "green" switch I bought from a brand I never heard of before. The ports kept going to sleep with a really small interval of inactivity. Plus it was like $20 or something so QA was surely a dream for this product. I'm sure it was defective in some way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow all this cable poo poo is going so over my head. I literally never even thought about that angle to modern homes. Power sockets, plumbing in the bathroom and kitchen, at least one "internet hose" and something that stops you from getting really cold was about all I ever thought about in a home. Only ever lived in tiny 1950's apartments or a 1930's house. My internet cable pops out of a hole in the floor and tries to hide along the base board trim, as does my phone line. But, that actually seems reasonable to wire that all up to every major room just in case. What's it all hook up to though? Like you just connect all those cables to one source which connects to the outside world, or are you also having some internal network for... uh, other A/V or data purposes I can't even dream of?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They wired the phone jacks in my house with cat5e, but we don't use landlines. We do, however, use the network a lot for various devices, so I replaced the phone jacks with ethernet jacks. To answer your question, I have a switch in my HVAC closet. This is nice because it means I can put a hardwired wifi AP or other device anywhere there's a jack on the wall, which means pretty much anywhere. It's a largish house, so being able to drop a couple hard-wired APs without gymnastics is nice. And it means the entrance for my internet service doesn't have to be anywhere near my network gear, just has to be near a jack, which is a non-issue in this case.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 27, 2016

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Baronjutter posted:

Wow all this cable poo poo is going so over my head. I literally never even thought about that angle to modern homes. Power sockets, plumbing in the bathroom and kitchen, at least one "internet hose" and something that stops you from getting really cold was about all I ever thought about in a home. Only ever lived in tiny 1950's apartments or a 1930's house. My internet cable pops out of a hole in the floor and tries to hide along the base board trim, as does my phone line. But, that actually seems reasonable to wire that all up to every major room just in case. What's it all hook up to though? Like you just connect all those cables to one source which connects to the outside world, or are you also having some internal network for... uh, other A/V or data purposes I can't even dream of?

It works the same way as wifi, only cables are much faster and much more reliable.

It generally connects to a router which also connects to the internet. You pull two wires from every outlet to it, it fits in a closet wherever, though higher and not blocked by metal/brick around it is better. It also allows the devices to send poo poo to each other - including A/V, backups and home automation, such as lights or AC. I use my network to play video (and videogames) so that it's running off the main system on a much lower-end system. Also I send controller input directly to the main system, but that's way too loving nerdy for most people.

IoT is usually poo poo btw, you want a base unit controlling your poo poo that gets updated and stops access from outside.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Glad I bookmarked the crappy construction thread! *10 pages of cat 6 discussion

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Burt Sexual posted:

Glad I bookmarked the crappy construction thread! *10 pages of cat 6 discussion

The cat6 is necessary because your wifi router encased in a 400lb block of concrete doesn't stand a chance of providing a usable signal. Cat6 suffers no such limitation.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No need to get...

catty

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: a category 5 shitstorm

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Could some of you home networking guys post pictures of your network closets?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TheMadMilkman posted:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Can I just get two wireless routers instead?!

Another Derail: I want to make tin can lanterns, but with steel cans (baby formula). Can I do the hammer & nail like I see on GIS or do I need something more pokier?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

peanut posted:

Can I just get two wireless routers instead?!

Another Derail: I want to make tin can lanterns, but with steel cans (baby formula). Can I do the hammer & nail like I see on GIS or do I need something more pokier?

A hammer and nail will easily go through a big steel can.

But I would be doubtful that the thick base will be able to vibrate loud enough to hear.

You could cut both end off and use a cap made of baking paper to vibrate - though you'd have a risk of tearing out of the string if you pull too hard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peanut posted:

Tin cans have never been pure tin. They’re made of tinplate steel.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Economic Sinkhole posted:

You need a permit to replace an existing fence? Lame.

Yup. The permitting process in my city is absurd. Here's a reply I made about it in another thread:

quote:

I have to fill out a zoning and land use permit from the Zoning Board, part of the Department of Planning and Zoning.

That requires photographs of my property and my neighbors, photos of the new fence, including descriptions of the visual style, size, material, and color. And a site plan of the subject property, that is accurate and to scale, including the following, as applicable:
  • Identifying information including the record owner of land, north arrow, date (including any revision dates)
    and scale (recommended at not smaller than 1 inch equals 40 feet);
  • Lot dimensions and location of property lines, abutting streets, the location and dimensions of the
    existing house and driveways;
  • Location of the proposed fence per Sec 6.2.2(m) Landscaping and Fences, (i.e. clear sight triangle and
    setback as indicated on page 2).
  • Location and ownership of rights-of-way or easements affecting the property;
  • Required setbacks from property lines and/or public rights-of-way;
  • Grading changes with minimum 5 ft. contours

Oh, and a $50 application fee.

Once that's approved, then I have to fill out and apply for a construction and building permit from the Department of Public Works. Basically, the same stuff all over again. Description of the work, name of the contractor, construction plans, etc... And another fee, $8.50 per $1000 of estimated costs, $30 minimum.

And THEN, once the new fence is in, I go back to the DPW to get a building inspector to come out and issue the final inspection to close out the building permit.

And finally, I contact the Code Enforcement Office to get a code officer to come out and issue a Unified Certificate of Occupancy. Yes...a certificate of occupancy for a fence. Oh, and that's another $35 fee.

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I recently replaced a section of fence not much bigger than what your picture shows myself. I spent one Saturday removing the broken fence and digging out the old footings, then the next weekend deepening the holes, setting posts and building the new fence and gate. If you're even remotely handy, building a fence is an easy and very satisfying project.

Eh, fencing in late October or early November in VT isn't my idea of a fun time. It's cold, often rainy. Plus, I don't have a truck so I'd have to borrow one for a few weekends in a row to haul away the old fencing, bring in the new one, etc...

And there's a good amount of fence...almost 200 feet worth, so that is a LOT of trips to the waste transfer station with just my dad's little Tacoma. Or I guess rent a construction dumpster. Still more effort than I want or have time to expend.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Darth Llama posted:

To the guy with the warm water problem: are your cold in/hot out reversed in your water heater? We had a similar symptom at the sink farthest from the water heater where the cold stayed warm but didn't notice it elsewhere. The water heater would still kinda work and give hot water, too, but you might notice it running out quickly. Sure enough, the PO had hosed up and reversed them on installation.

It's the sink closest to the water heater. Not another plumbing fixture in the house has this problem, not in the least. I didn't get a chance to temp the water but I can say for sure the kitchen sink gives full cold.

DrBouvenstein posted:

fence post (:suicide:)

I don't have pics, but one of my neighbors had a fence that finally gave up in Hurricane Matthew. It was bowing in really bad, then they shored it up with their shed, then it finally fell down during Matthew. Now I can see into THEIR backyard-neighbor's porch until they fix that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Do you home network guys want to start a new thread? Because there is already 2 pages of content here and it's in no danger of slowing down.

Fence guy, what kind of terrible city do you live in, that replacing existing fence with an exact same fence requires a permit? I mean yes, city will be happy to take your money and issue construction permit for anything, but doing what you do is the last thing L&I will ever bother to pursue. I'd go ahead and start building if I were you. It's a ship of Theseus kind of situation, you should be allowed to repair existing structure, even if it ultimately replaces 100% of it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Do you home network guys want to start a new thread? Because there is already 2 pages of content here and it's in no danger of slowing down.

Fence guy, what kind of terrible city do you live in, that replacing existing fence with an exact same fence requires a permit? I mean yes, city will be happy to take your money and issue construction permit for anything, but doing what you do is the last thing L&I will ever bother to pursue. I'd go ahead and start building if I were you. It's a ship of Theseus kind of situation, you should be allowed to repair existing structure, even if it ultimately replaces 100% of it.

There's a home network thread already isn't there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

TheMadMilkman posted:

The cable modem used to fit in there, but for docsis 3.1 all the cableco had is that giant drat gateway. Yeah, I got lazy with a couple of the last runs and just terminated the cat5e and plugged it right into the router

:effort: