Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:lol: at these highlights
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZwVbr0AnjU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

straight up brolic posted:

I'm on mobile so this is going to be a bad example, but is Russell Westbrook better at rebounding than Blake Griffin? They grab roughly the same number per game, but Griffin grabs two times as many contested boards. Rebounds are not all created equal. Empty rebounding for stars has been a thing forever.

E: RWB is still ridiculous for his position

I think contested rebounds is the horseshittiest of horseshit stats.

The definition they give on the site is that a contested rebound means an opponent was within 3.5 feet of the rebound. Maybe you know more from sausage making but that's a small enough radius that you could easily block out a guy and prevent him from contesting entirely. Westbrook's adjusted rebound % is similar to Griffin's. Being tall and outrebounding someone that way is a skill. Beating people to lose balls that drop a little further is also a skill, one that Westbrook is good at.

For whatever reason NBA stats doesn't seem to include the % of contested rebounds secured. I don't know why that number wouldn't exist because it seems to be the one that is most useful on its face. Contested rebounds divided by total rebounds is useless. I don't know who thought that up but it's an entirely silly stat that makes it look like a guy who grabs 3 contested and 4 uncontested rebounds is worse than a guy that grabs 3 of each.

Metapod posted:

Westbrook rebound numbers were inflated because the bigs would allow Russ to take rebounds as a design play

OKC bigs had high defer numbers but so did Westbrook. They're probably pretty incestuously deferring to each other with Westbrook getting the benefit but of course this is another stat that could be available in theory but they don't put on the stats website, since they track who's deferring it shouldn't be hard to track who was deferred to.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 26, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Derrick Rose is back
https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/791314076852850688

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I certainly feel like Serge and Adams did a bunch of holding dudes and elbowing them so OKC's skilled players could start the break.

there's a reason Steve and Ibaka were voted the dirtiest players in the league by their peers!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Sorry Dirk. You're a cool dude and all. I was happy when you owned D-Wade and LeBron in the Finals. But you're getting thunderdunked on by Myles Turner tonight.

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS

pubic works project posted:

Sorry Dirk. You're a cool dude and all. I was happy when you owned D-Wade and LeBron in the Finals. But you're getting thunderdunked on by Myles Turner tonight.
I wonder if Matthews and Barnes will shoot higher than 40% tonight...is there still room on the Wolves bandwagon?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ratzinc posted:

I wonder if Matthews and Barnes will shoot higher than 40% tonight...is there still room on the Wolves bandwagon?

There is lots of room. We have hotdishes and passive-aggressive comments aplenty.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

I certainly feel like Serge and Adams did a bunch of holding dudes and elbowing them so OKC's skilled players could start the break.

there's a reason Steve and Ibaka were voted the dirtiest players in the league by their peers!

Wait when was this poll taken

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/791320106534072321

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/791322007086460928

Cartoons, mate

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

Wait when was this poll taken

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-nba-dirty-players-20160117-story.html

also,

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/791320106534072321

why steve

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Jesus Christ haha

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
With Duncan retired we might have a contender for "Most likely NBA player to be an SA Goon".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ratzinc posted:

You have to pass the one question entry exam:

Does Ricky Rubio's poor shooting prevent him from being a top ten Point Guard? Why or why not?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

It's going to be beautiful when he and Embiid battle tonight.

https://twitter.com/TheBSLine/status/791310918688903168

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

With Duncan retired we might have a contender for "Most likely NBA player to be an SA Goon".

Gordon Hayward probably has strong opinions on Star Citizen

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

pubic works project posted:

Sry, tonight the Pacers run into a superior defense. The mummy will prevail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrstxuicZk

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Lockback posted:

Metapod = Steven Adams????

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

One piece is good.

Steven Adams remains cool.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

An unexpected diversion on the Mavs Facebook page.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Keep anime out. OUT WITH YOUR ANIME.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Cash Monet posted:

Keep anime out. OUT WITH YOUR ANIME.

Anime is life.

You are anime and so am I.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Spacebump posted:

Cuban made some vaguely pro-Trumo statements at the beginning of the election season and he's been furiously backpedaling since so he's attracted the attention of the altRight, Steinheads, Berniebros, etc.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spacebump posted:

IMO we should build a wall so only the tall and athletic immigrants can cross to the US, thus resulting in better quality of basketball.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I love adams

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I met Steven Adams like a year ago and American Pie was on one of the TVs in this bar. he looked at me and asked if I had seen Goon with Sean William Scott. I told him it was probably the best sports movie ever and he high fived me before stepping outside

He is my favorite non-rocket as a result

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Time posted:

I met Steven Adams like a year ago and American Pie was on one of the TVs in this bar. he looked at me and asked if I had seen Goon with Sean William Scott. I told him it was probably the best sports movie ever and he high fived me before stepping outside

He is my favorite non-rocket as a result
Is this the new stair question

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

straight up brolic posted:

Is this the new stair question

I legit think it has a depth to it that most sports movies don't. It's really fantastic and I don't even watch hockey

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Devin Harris still has a hurt toe. (The same toe that had experimental surgery.) I wouldn't be shocked if this is the beginning of the end for him. Seth Curry is going to have a bigger than expected role while Harris is out.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Too bad for the Mavs, Seth Curry is pretty awful

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uh Durant may save some energy for offense idk.

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS

IcePhoenix posted:

You have to pass the one question entry exam:

Does Ricky Rubio's poor shooting prevent him from being a top ten Point Guard? Why or why not?

No, since he doesn't shoot a ton, so it's not that big an issue. He makes the offense work compared to when he's off the floor.

How'd I do?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Spacebump posted:

Sry, tonight the Pacers run into a superior defense. The mummy will prevail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrstxuicZk

Hahaha this is awesome. But the Pacers will win.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Individual rebounding number seem like bunk to me anyway.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
lmao, i tried to watch first take just to hear some people talk about the game last night and my god, my god, Stephen A Smith is loving awful. loving awful. it was painful.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ratzinc posted:

No, since he doesn't shoot a ton, so it's not that big an issue. He makes the offense work compared to when he's off the floor.

How'd I do?

Pretty good, but you should remember his defensive disruptiveness as well. Welcome aboard!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

lmao, i tried to watch first take just to hear some people talk about the game last night and my god, my god, Stephen A Smith is loving awful. loving awful. it was painful.

Why would you do this to yourself

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ratzinc posted:

How'd I do?

Very well, I would have also accepted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUAM8IKwf2Q

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

The only NBA media you need is podcasts and TNT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

That's great.

[GSW down by 8] Curry makes a shot!
[GSW down by 14] Durant with a dunk!
[GSW down by 18] Klay makes a big shot!
[GSW down by 20] Kahwi misses a shot!
[GSW down by 24] Iguodala makes a shot!