Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Isn't this native to the Google Camera app? I use it all the time on my 6P.

It is but there are hardware requirements. The 6P does it but the 5X does not as the 808 doesn't have the bandwidth to handle photos from the camera that fast. Same for anything older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, I do bursts all the time on my 6P.

The new thing where Google automatically makes the same type of GIFs out of sections of your videos is very cool. Since that's done by Google in the cloud, it should work on any device using Google Photos.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tunga posted:

It is but there are hardware requirements. The 6P does it but the 5X does not as the 808 doesn't have the bandwidth to handle photos from the camera that fast. Same for anything older.

Eh, I could do burst shooting with my MXP and it has an 808 in it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That Xiaomi Mi Mix looks drat incredible. It's nice to see some companies pushing the envelope and trying new things.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

Eh, I could do burst shooting with my MXP and it has an 808 in it.

I'm pretty sure XDA or whoever got the feature working fine on 5x's, although XDA's view of "working fine" is questionable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'll be that guy, I don't like it. I think it looks lopsided with a chin and no top bezel and having the camera in the chin makes it look like it's always upside down.

Bezels have a usability component to them. With phone that large, you could never use it single handed as your grip would constantly be triggering touches on the side.

It's neat, I'll grant you that, but it's not something that I would want to use every day.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bezel-less phones need variable sensibility digitizers so that the edges, particularly the bottom corners, can have reduced sensitivity so as to not trigger via palm or grip.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'd rather a thin top bezel than bottom of I'm only getting one. I'll agree it looks upside down.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Isn't this native to the Google Camera app? I use it all the time on my 6P.

Nexus 5 owner here. :negative:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

That Xiaomi Mi Mix looks drat incredible. It's nice to see some companies pushing the envelope and trying new things.
As long as you're cool with preinstalled spyware.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pretty sure it tells you that by saying "Android" when it boots up, bro. :v:

The Eye of Google is always watching
The Ear of Google Assistant is always listening

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Google's attempt at building SKYNET getting my chatter about videogames and TV shows with my girlfriend is one thing. The Chinese government getting it is quite another.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Don't spoil my joke! :saddowns:

Seriously though; that's why I don't trust any manufacturer that Google didn't use to make a Nexus/PIxel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

docbeard posted:

Google's attempt at building SKYNET getting my chatter about videogames and TV shows with my girlfriend is one thing. The Chinese government getting it is quite another.

Lmao like the American government is any more trustworthy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

To quote LBJ, "They may bastards, but they're our bastards."

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ehh, I get the sentiment, but I don't feel like there is as big of a chance that the American government is going to use my phone data to help create a botnet to attack American infrastructure as there is of the Chinese government doing the same.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

DemonMage posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that myself. Or just hitting the lock button on the lock screen, which works with Smart Unlock. Forces you to enter your passcode even if a Smart Unlock device/location is connected. Seems kinda silly if you can't do that with fingeprint lock as well.

When I look at my lock screen (Pixel XL), there is a fingerprint where the lock for Smart Unlock is normally. I can press on the fingerprint and it says "device will stay locked until it is manually unlocked", which sounds promising, but a fingerprint will still unlock it.

I don't have smart unlock set up since it has the fingerprint reader, but maybe if it's using that it (so that the lock shows up) will let you require a PIN? It seems like with the fingerprint you can always unlock save for right after a reboot.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
CALM DOWN. you still looking for a 128 Pixel XL?

I have decided I hate this thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Ehh, I get the sentiment, but I don't feel like there is as big of a chance that the American government is going to use my phone data to help create a botnet to attack American infrastructure as there is of the Chinese government doing the same.

I get it but don't agree, it's a matter of perspective. To non Americans your government can be just as bad, and it'd be ignorant to think that US agencies don't state cyber attacks of their own on other nations.

Moey posted:

Whoa yes, but why do you hate it?? I'm on a waiting list at Rogers right now so I might be okay but I'm more curious about your reasoning.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Moey posted:

Uh, it's CLAM DOWN.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Thermopyle posted:

Hasn't the Chinese government already used the great firewall to this effect?

There's also the distinction of google pushing back on government surveillance vs. a complete inability of a Chinese company to do the same.

LastInLine posted:

Just on whim I tried it and you really can't. I searched for "work", a term that despite my few conversations would almost certainly be plentiful. The only results were the most recent occurrence of the word in each conversation. Searching in GMail though I get 59 historical references to the word throughout all conversations. SMS Backup+ and having your SMS threads auto-delete at like 50 is a way better and way more usable solution than restoring long threads and having a next-to-useless search function.

I don't see what's weird about the tone. In order to get a device ready in the shortened timeline they adapted an early product to fit their needs, nothing really wrong with that. It was obviously early enough in the development phase that Google could ask for and get things like the camera module they wanted. I think if there's disappointment it's coming from the perspective that maybe the Pixel isn't representative of an in-house, home-grown aesthetic and that maybe by Google controlling the process from inception that this will change moving forward. I'm not so sure that will be the case, but under Osterloh Motorola had a clear hardware aesthetic so maybe?

Either way the article is news because knowing the timeline of the Huawei deal falling through and how quickly HTC was able to produce such a refined product (not just a well-built one but one that obviously is in harmony with its software) seems to indicate that as good as it is, a longer gestation period could only be beneficial.

I think Ron Amadeo is just really annoyed at Google marketing the Pixel like it's some kind of in-house revolution when it's more like 50% of one. He's also a bit more bearish on the phone than others. IIRC his review was along the lines of "it's fine. Probably not $649 fine but fine"

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Whoa yes, but why do you hate it?? I'm on a waiting list at Rogers right now so I might be okay but I'm more curious about your reasoning.

Personal preference, apparently I am now stuck with Samsung phones for life.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Eh, the ship's sailed with the NSA but there is a chance that the Chinese don't yet know what a colossal nerd I am!

(I quite like Xiaomi's earbuds when I can get non-counterfeits. Not sure I'd ever buy a phone from them but it's not really because of the spyware thing.)

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Moey posted:

Terrible, just terrible

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

I'm pretty sure this thread classifies that as a medical disorder of some kind.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm pretty sure this thread classifies that as a medical disorder of some kind.

I am willing to accept that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mr. Powers posted:

Bezel-less phones need variable sensibility digitizers so that the edges, particularly the bottom corners, can have reduced sensitivity so as to not trigger via palm or grip.

One of many reasons I hate my Galaxy S7 Edge and am waiting patiently for my Pixel XL to ship...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

As long as you're cool with preinstalled spyware.

At least they put 256GB of flash and 6GB of RAM in it. You probably won't even notice all the spyware running in the background!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MrBond posted:

I think Ron Amadeo is just really annoyed at Google marketing the Pixel like it's some kind of in-house revolution when it's more like 50% of one. He's also a bit more bearish on the phone than others. IIRC his review was along the lines of "it's fine. Probably not $649 fine but fine"

That's going to be a hurdle with any longtime Android user as we're all acclimated to a subpar UX and have learned to work around it. Historically we've accepted this due to the lower cost so breaking that expectation isn't easy

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
HTC must be pretty annoyed at not only Google downplaying their involvement in the making of the phone, but people assuming the phone must be good because of it. Marketing aside, the Pixel is just a rebranded Nexus, the difference is this time Google went for a price point that allowed them to put the phone together with something better than school glue and the rejects bin at the plant's QA department.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Marketing aside, the Pixel is just a rebranded Nexus,

I disagree with you here. Nexuses ran as close to vanilla Android as you can get whereas the Pixel is just as skinned as any other OEM. It's also openly competing with OEMs instead of "partnering" with them.

I agree with you that at least they aren't obviously targeting a low price point but I'd disagree with your view on HTC, I'm sure their pride might be a little wounded but I'm sure they're happy for the business. Any port in a storm, etc.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Desk Lamp posted:

HTC must be pretty annoyed at not only Google downplaying their involvement in the making of the phone

These things are 100% cemented in a contract way way before a product is released. HTC agreed to it up front and they are fine with it. If they were not they would be suing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Pixel seems like it's selling far better than any HTC phone on the past 3 years so I'm sure they are happy for the business at this point.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe all our phones are actually made by HTC, and the companies are just lying and say it was their work :tinfoil:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I disagree with you here. Nexuses ran as close to vanilla Android as you can get whereas the Pixel is just as skinned as any other OEM. It's also openly competing with OEMs instead of "partnering" with them.

I agree with you that at least they aren't obviously targeting a low price point but I'd disagree with your view on HTC, I'm sure their pride might be a little wounded but I'm sure they're happy for the business. Any port in a storm, etc.

But whatever skin Google's phones run is now de facto vanilla Android, and while the goals may differ from the Nexus program's in that they're at least trying to sell these, beyond the marketing talking points it's still Google partnering with an OEM to make a device to a particular spec. Like I said, the biggest difference is those specs are now high enough to stand next to an iPhone or a Galaxy and the marketing (including the price) reflects that. Anyone who tells you that the real difference is "this time the phone is made by Google" is just regurgitating marketing materials at you.

You're actually completely agreeing with me with regards to HTC though, that's pretty much what I'm referring to when I say they must be pretty annoyed.

Taffer posted:

These things are 100% cemented in a contract way way before a product is released. HTC agreed to it up front and they are fine with it. If they were not they would be suing.

That's probably true, but the underlying narrative that HTC couldn't make a phone this good without Google has got to sting regardless.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 26, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This isn't actually the first time HTC was an ODM for another company, they've made Sony phones before.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Thermopyle posted:

The new thing where Google automatically makes the same type of GIFs out of sections of your videos is very cool. Since that's done by Google in the cloud, it should work on any device using Google Photos.

Cool but also annoying as gently caress because there's currently no way to control what part of the video it creates a gif from. I've had several where it used a few seconds immediately before or after the action I would actually want a gif of.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I don't see the 'skin' they have right now as being any different really than when the Nexus Launcher with Google Now integration was exclusive for a while, and the dialer etc.

They've been cagey about the Pixel exclusive stuff eventually being released for the Nexus (or wider release) but they haven't officially ruled it out.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Warning: super persnickety post.

On Marshmallow, if you pull down the notification bar but there aren't any actual notifications, it will redundantly show you the empty notification list and then you must pull down again to get to the quick settings.

I'd like it instead to immediately show me the quick settings page at the first pull down if there are no notifications. Can I do this through a setting, a non-root app, and/or by upgrading to Nougat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I get it but don't agree, it's a matter of perspective. To non Americans your government can be just as bad, and it'd be ignorant to think that US agencies don't state cyber attacks of their own on other nations.

Well...yes. I was just saying that for most people reading this thread (most of whom are American), they should probably be more concerned about Chinese malware than American malware.