Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

One of the shows I listen to is sponsored by Koch industries. I assume that it isn't going to be a hotbed of left-wing firebrands.
There's some pretty strong walls between underwriting and editorial, as happens when you have a service so strongly mission-focused, but I agree that it's a problem. The libertarian Cato Institute underwrote All Things Considered for a long time. I would argue that the biggest problems are happening at a much smaller level: it's individual station managers having to do things to the benefit of the university their station is attached to because of political pressure, or bad shows staying on the air because they're popular. Like I said earlier, public radio answers to way too many different people, and it hurts the overall quality. But a lot of the people making decisions at the editorial and reporting levels are very left-wing. The producers and a lot of announcers and hosts and such tend to be even more so, but they have less decision-making capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Just deliver all news and information via Wait Wait Don't Tell Me The NPR News Quiz Show.
I would shoot myself in the head.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I keep on getting phone calls from candidates' offices and they just hang up when I tell them I've already voted. How refreshing!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

FactsAreUseless posted:

and you get poo poo like Prairie Home Companion being on the air across the country way longer than it should have been.

This is the least funny loving show I ever listened to. Fortunately I generally listen during weekdays. But the station is not worth turning on at weekends. Just dull quiz shows and unfunny comedy shows.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I keep on getting phone calls from candidates' offices and they just hang up when I tell them I've already voted. How refreshing!

Tell them you are a black redneck evangelical coal miner aged 18-35 with a graduate degree. Become the new person to skew the stats.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is the least funny loving show I ever listened to. Fortunately I generally listen during weekdays. But the station is not worth turning on at weekends. Just dull quiz shows and unfunny comedy shows.
There's generally some good weekend content in music and other sorts of programming outside of news, but I think every single one of the flagship "funny" shows are awful. I just consider it the price we have to pay to get listener donations to fund actual reporting, because listeners love that poo poo.

There are lots of bad public radio shows, and there's lots of great public radio reporting, and the latter doesn't always get to be what we focus on. It's very frustrating.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Much like I wish to shoot myself in the head at any radio news show that invites random callers to call in and bring up points. NPR does a good job of bringing experts to the table, let the experts talk to each other. I don't care about what some dipshit who read an article about this topic on some blog thinks about this.

gently caress The Takeaway, is what I'm saying.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just deliver all news and information via Wait Wait Don't Tell Me The NPR News Quiz Show.

Oh my god so you're the reason they keep loving making them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Much like I wish to shoot myself in the head at any radio news show that invites random callers to call in and bring up points. NPR does a good job of bringing experts to the table, let the experts talk to each other. I don't care about what some dipshit who read an article about this topic on some blog thinks about this.

I haven't heard The Takeaway, but On Point is hit-and-miss, and I believe it has a similar format. I like Diane Rehm a lot, but that's because Diane Rehm is a way better moderator of discussions than Tom Ashbrook. (Yes yes, that Sanders interview sucked, I know).

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wrote up a post in the style of Ask Me Another, complete with anagrams and hipsters and the Bellhouse in Brooklyn, before I realized that ask me another and Wait wait Don't Tell Me are different shows.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I like Wait Wait

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Not a Children posted:

Oh my god so you're the reason they keep loving making them

I have Carl Castle's voice on my Home Answering Machine and nothing you can do will take away that joy from me.

Also RE: The Takeaway and On Point, I think a lot of it comes down to screening processes. Getting experts to talk about concerns that "average citizens" have is a noble goal, but you gotta make sure you're not chasing down conspiracy theories or reinforcing dumb poo poo by giving it air time. It's a hard balance.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I wrote up a post in the style of Ask Me Another, complete with anagrams and hipsters and the Bellhouse in Brooklyn, before I realized that ask me another and Wait wait Don't Tell Me are different shows.
There are like three hundred shows with that same format and content and tone and I hate every single one of them. I've noticed NPR comedy has two flavors: older and rural, and younger and urban, and somehow they both manage to resemble each other, and they're both loving terrible.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I like Wait Wait in the same way I enjoy British panel shows. They're empty calories, but that's okay in sporadic spurts.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
^^ British panel shows are much better.

I wish NPR was as good as BBC Radio 4. Anyone who thinks Wait Wait is good should listen to The News Quiz for an actually funny radio quiz show.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
We are just going to ignore re-runs of car talk? Where else am i going to hear my weekly dose of New England accents? (RIP one guy)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't heard The Takeaway, but On Point is hit-and-miss, and I believe it has a similar format. I like Diane Rehm a lot, but that's because Diane Rehm is a way better moderator of discussions than Tom Ashbrook. (Yes yes, that Sanders interview sucked, I know).

This post is extremely my poo poo. Ashbrook let's his callers say the most ridiculous bullshit, like it's a CSPAN call in show. That said, he did a show about grief shortly after his wife/partner died, and it was incredibly gripping to hear him try to deal with his public and private grief on air.

So I give him a pass, but I don't want it to replace Diane. Unfortunately, in Austin he already has for the first hour.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

cult member at airport posted:

Add Malik Obama to that twitter corncob list.

https://twitter.com/ObamaMalik/status/791064544281899008

Fun fact: He runs the Barack H Obama Foundation, which is of course named in honor of the President's father:

:laffo:

He should ask himself wtf the Kenyan side of his family did for him to feel some debt to it?

Because...he may not want to go down that road.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This post is extremely my poo poo. Ashbrook let's his callers say the most ridiculous bullshit, like it's a CSPAN call in show. That said, he did a show about grief shortly after his wife/partner died, and it was incredibly gripping to hear him try to deal with his public and private grief on air.

So I give him a pass, but I don't want it to replace Diane. Unfortunately, in Austin he already has for the first hour.
On Point can be really good sometimes, but yeah, Ashbrook does not know how to manage a conversation at all. Every time there's a Trump supporter on the show, whether it's an official campaign person or not, it's obnoxious.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

This has the stink of written by a thirty something that though appealing directly to hypothetical grandchildren would seem more sincere than just future generations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Barudak posted:

Just as a heads up we have a good Venezuela thread in this very forum and by reading it you can watch a country strangle itself to death.

UK: How severely are you destroying yourself right now?
Venezuela: Like, pretty slowly, right now, my dude.
UK: You are like a little baby. Watch this.
BREXIT

Of course we'd all be dwarfed if Trump wins, but fortunately it looks like that is close to impossible with these polls and early voting stats.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

PHC is less humor to me and more like a Twilight Zone episode. The music was almost always insufferable, even if performed by accomplished musicians. Keilor's dialogs were entertaining, particular when the listener was high as gently caress. :420:

Writer's Almanac is/was the worth the minute.

The rest of it (WWDTM, Etc) is essentially Reddit Radio.

Echoing a previous poster's sentiment: more longform expert discussion panels plz kthx. lol whats attention span precious :derp:

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

I don't know why but this just made my day, hah!
:rolleye:

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

You are coming dangerously close to disrespecting Talk Of The Nation, friend.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

UK: How severely are you destroying yourself right now?
Venezuela: Like, pretty slowly, right now, my dude.
UK: You are like a little baby. Watch this.
BREXIT

Of course we'd all be dwarfed if Trump wins, but fortunately it looks like that is close to impossible with these polls and early voting stats.

Speaking of, I saw one rando tweeting about how early voting in Florida is apparently looking crazy good for Trump? He's the sort of dude I'd expect to say anything looks crazy good for Trump, but does anyone know of anything specific he might be basing that off of?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

"Well, panel, the caller makes a good point. How are the American people supposed to trust a suspected Mohamedian in the white house?"

That's my Tom Ashbrook.

I kind of hope Sam Sanders and Tamara Keith get a promotion out of this cycle though. NPR politics is usually very good.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

theflyingorc posted:

Obviously it's all offensive, but, uh

This one is particularly stupid. We have copies of the text, you don't need to read the original one at the national archives.

I'm sorry you didn't learn Olde English so you could read Beowulf.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Whole lotta wrong people ITT re: Wait Wait

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

Turn Left Nanna, Nooooooooooooooooooooo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

"Well, panel, the caller makes a good point. How are the American people supposed to trust a suspected Mohamedian in the white house?"

That's my Tom Ashbrook.

I kind of hope Sam Sanders and Tamara Keith get a promotion out of this cycle though. NPR politics is usually very good.
NPR reporting is way better than NPR shows. That said, I would absolutely tune in every week to hear a show about Africa hosted by Ofeibea Quist-Arcton.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh my god, another loving NPR derail?

"Well my favorite NPR show is blah blah blah but I don't care for blah blah blah"

NOBODY CARES!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WampaLord posted:

"Well my favorite NPR show is blah blah blah but I don't care for blah blah blah"

NOBODY CARES!
I care.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

In case anyone was wondering, the new James O'Keefe video released today is nothing much. I watched it and it's not worth watching.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

WampaLord posted:

NOBODY CARES!

It's been like, a whole day since Trump tweeted something about doing cocaine off of underaged tigers.

We're getting restless. We need our fix.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If I'm in the car I just listen to music. Do people not like music anymore?

drat millenials and their talk radio.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Phone posted:

That cop is responsible for at least $650k in out of court civil case settlements over his 14 (or 16?) year tenure on the Allentown, PA police force.

Oh yeah, internal review found "nothing wrong" with this dashcam footage. Shocking absolutely no one.

Is he city of Allentown police or from one of the surrounding suburbs? Given what I saw growing up in that area neither one would really shock me.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

quote:

I'm sorry we weren't able to secure an existence for our people and a future for you, our white children.

I love you, Nanna.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Uranium 235 posted:

I watched it and it's not worth watching.

that's literally all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

davebo posted:

If I'm in the car I just listen to music. Do people not like music anymore?

drat millenials and their talk radio.

Sometimes you can hear yourself think over music. Talk radio, no such worries.

• Locked thread