Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

just lol at anyone who expects google to ever, EVER follow a project through to completion.

quote:

For most of our “potential Fiber cities” — those where we’ve been in exploratory discussions — we’re going to pause our operations and offices while we refine our approaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
corporations aren't people but google clearly has adhd

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last Chance posted:

also these posts are both wrong. google copied apple first when they had to pivot immediately after the iphone introduction and turn their blackberry ripoff into an ios ripoff.

no child, google copied symbian

because ios had no functionality at all when the iphone came out

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

nice samsung (thats korean for meltdown)

lol

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

quote:

Sorry, Webpass is not available for your building. We currently require buildings to have at least 10 units and be built after 1995.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

fishmech posted:

you cant even tell who they ripped off because they did such a lovely job of it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
iphone was

-a phone
-an internet device
-a music player

seems pretty functional to me

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

goddamnit my city was next! there's a google fiber building 4 blocks away! You fools! YOU BLEW IT ALL UP

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

remembering this

http://www.attpublicpolicy.com/fcc/broadband-investmentnot-for-the-faint-of-heart/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jonny 290 posted:

iphone was

-a phone
-an internet device
-a music player

seems pretty functional to me

A bad phone with bad call service (because 2g only)
Similarly with bad Internet (because 2g only)
About as a good as an iPod at playing music but tiny storage for the time

Original iPhone is super trash, it did not even begin to be useful til the 3g

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

holy poo poo AT&T published a callout post on google? This is insane. ATT is a heartless monolith monster etc, but they're apparently good at what they do. Google sticking their toes into things and fleeing on so many projects(this, Nest, modular phones, literally everything) is just shameful and it'll be hilarious to see if they end up following the exact same 'lets switch to wireless' stumble ATT has listed

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

A bad phone with bad call service (because 2g only)
Similarly with bad Internet (because 2g only)
About as a good as an iPod at playing music but tiny storage for the time

Original iPhone is super trash, it did not even begin to be useful til the 3g

yeah, but the ux was heads and shoulders over anything else

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

the fishmech only sees specs, usability is for humans

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

suddenly i like at&t

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Krakox posted:

holy poo poo AT&T published a callout post on google? This is insane. ATT is a heartless monolith monster etc, but they're apparently good at what they do. Google sticking their toes into things and fleeing on so many projects(this, Nest, modular phones, literally everything) is just shameful and it'll be hilarious to see if they end up following the exact same 'lets switch to wireless' stumble ATT has listed

um...

google just completed acquisition of Webpass less than a month ago.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tatsujin posted:

Sorry, Webpass is not available for your building. We currently require buildings to have at least 10 units and be built after 1995.

lol I wonder what's so special about 1995, im gonna guess it has something to do with the st voyager premiere

e: or maybe the oj simpson trial

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 26, 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

lol I wonder what's so special about 1995, im gonna guess it has something to do with the st voyager premiere

lead-free paint?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

nah im gonna say it's the 100th seinfeld episode

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Progressive JPEG posted:

i assume its the quality of wiring to the home. old houses have poo poo copper coming in and can't carry the full speeds promised.

hell, i have a condo built in '98 and the contractor clearly skimped on wiring quality because my internet rarely reaches the promised caps but every time they test the distribution point on my block is getting full speeds.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

its in commemoration of the launch of the 1995 dodge stratus the pinnacle of cap-forward design to give you a full sized interior in a mid sized sedan

test drive the new 1995 dodge stratus today at your local dodge dealer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ThdlEAuDA

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Progressive JPEG posted:

isn't that right around when all the dark fiber was put in

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i assume its the quality of wiring to the home. old houses have poo poo copper coming in and can't carry the full speeds promised.

hell, i have a condo built in '98 and the contractor clearly skimped on wiring quality because my internet rarely reaches the promised caps but every time they test the distribution point on my block is getting full speeds.

o that sux, is it lovely for the whole building or just your unit?

i thought the point of webpass was that it was an antenna sitting on the roof of the building though? doing that would probably involve a fresh run anyway

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

akadajet posted:

no, the user experience was extremely bad. that's why the drat thing barely sold except to die-hard apple fans and the kinds of people who buy a phone every 3 months because they identify as early adopters.

having everything be slow and broken, as they were on the original iphone, is not a good user experience unless you need to see an apple logo to cum

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

that first iphone was incredible. many years ahead of anyone else at the time. incredible breath of fresh air for phones. it should be in the history books really.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fishmech posted:

you know fishmech is about to miss the point when he breaks out "no child, ..."

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

normally im not a fan of fat shaming but in this case

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Ah, looks like we've got a virulent strain of megacorp white knight AIDS ITT. Blech!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nice garbage phone for idiots

Last Chance posted:

that first iphone was incredible. many years ahead of anyone else at the time. incredible breath of fresh air for phones. it should be in the history books really.

a true achievement in suckitude. incredibly bad. thinking different indeed.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

no, the user experience was extremely bad. that's why the drat thing barely sold except to die-hard apple fans and the kinds of people who buy a phone every 3 months because they identify as early adopters.

having everything be slow and broken, as they were on the original iphone, is not a good user experience unless you need to see an apple logo to cum

lol no. it didn't initially sell super well because it was like $600 bux and required an expensive contract. everyone who saw one wanted one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no, fishmech, you really don't appreciate how good the iphone's interface was, and how totally unlike anything else

yes it had a 320x480 screen and today it would be considered laggy. doesn't matter, because it introduced gestural navigation and instantly obsoleted everything else. remember when "smartphones" had little teeny trackballs? or scroll dials? or zoom buttons?

akadajet posted:

lol no. it didn't initially sell super well because it was like $600 bux and required an expensive contract. everyone who saw one wanted one.

also it was only available on at&t

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 26, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

akadajet posted:

and on top of being expensive it sucked hard and didn't work. only insane apple fanboys and gadget fetishists "wanted one"

Sagebrush posted:

no, fishmech, you really don't appreciate how good the iphone's interface was, and how totally unlike anything else

yes it had a 320x480 screen and today it would be considered laggy. doesn't matter, because it introduced gestural navigation and instantly obsoleted everything else. remember when "smartphones" had little teeny trackballs? or scroll dials? or zoom buttons?

also it was only available on at&t

it was totally unlike everything else in that it had horrible connectivity due to refusal to support 3g, crippled functionality because stebe thought having native apps was eveil and insisted on using crappy html5 "apps" in the bad browser", and the interface was awgul

it didn't obsolete anything, as it was hilariously obsolete at launch, being a glorified featurephone with worse call quality/connectivity. there were already symbian devices with just touch interfaces for months

but of course brain damaged freaks like you worshipped it because it had an apple logo, despite it taking til the iphone 3g came out the next year for anyone who wasn't insane to find it usable.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

LastInLine posted:

its in commemoration of the launch of the 1995 dodge stratus the pinnacle of cap-forward design to give you a full sized interior in a mid sized sedan

test drive the new 1995 dodge stratus today at your local dodge dealer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ThdlEAuDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8UtRNCztVI

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i had the original iphone back when iphones werent available in canada and nobody had them and every time i pulled it out to get a girls number down you could hear her panties falling off

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

it was totally unlike everything else in that it had horrible connectivity due to refusal to support 3g, crippled functionality because stebe thought having native apps was eveil and insisted on using crappy html5 "apps" in the bad browser", and the interface was awgul

it didn't obsolete anything, as it was hilariously obsolete at launch, being a glorified featurephone with worse call quality/connectivity. there were already symbian devices with just touch interfaces for months

this is indefensibly bad. you're a loving moron

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

this is indefensibly bad. you're a loving moron

correct, the original iphone was indefensibly bad. it was terrible in literally every aspect, and only gained partial functionality like 2 months before the iphone 3g came out.

you accidentally referred to yourself in the second person for some reason while signing your post, consider fixing that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jonny 290 posted:

actually, samsung means to cum

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

fishmech posted:

correct, the original iphone was indefensibly bad. it was terrible in literally every aspect, and only gained partial functionality like 2 months before the iphone 3g came out.

you accidentally referred to yourself in the second person for some reason while signing your post, consider fixing that.

rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

and on top of being expensive it sucked hard and didn't work. only insane apple fanboys and gadget fetishists "wanted one"

but of course brain damaged freaks like you worshipped it because it had an apple logo, despite it taking til the iphone 3g came out the next year for anyone who wasn't insane to find it usable.

lol :jerkbag:

• Locked thread