Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

UltraRed posted:

I'll have you know that all Canadi(a/e)ns are completely bilingual by the time they leave high school

I wish this was true outside of a couple provinces :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Can I post in this thread yet or are Pwner and Falun still falling all over themselves to just absolutely ruin it yet?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I would absolutely love some more Out On Town With Korean Women Stories now that aforementioned threadshitters seem to have found something else to fill their lonely existences for the moment

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can I post in this thread yet or are Pwner and Falun still falling all over themselves to just absolutely ruin it yet?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I have a mildly entertaining HK counterpart story but, eh.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

You could actually post something relevant or you can act like a passive aggressive crybaby. There's nobody stopping you.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Cool, Fbr.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Deceitful Penguin posted:

tho lol at the idea that the Quebecois speak native french

Boiled Water posted:

A friend of mine went to paris with his quebecois wife. Said wife tried to speak quebec french with the locals who without fail responded in english.

It depends on a couple of different factors, mostly that of social class, level of education, age and how thick your loving accent is. As a rule, the higher your social standing and level of education, the more mutually intelligible :quebec: and :france: speak become, especially seeing as there's a sorta "international" accent and dialogue that TV news anchors try for, sorta like the "Antlantic" accent that old actors used to try to emulate.

When France lost Quebec after the French and Indian wars there was a pretty long period where both languages evolved while isolated; Quebec French stayed sorta frozen in its roots and traditional, whereas the French didn't worry about being a minority and made much more use of foreign loanwords, or simply used newer and less archaic words for stuff.

So in a ways, it's half true that Quebec French is closer to pure French, but that assumes that your standard for pure French is what French was like in the mid 1700s. To quote another goon, for someone from France, having a Quebec francophone talk to you is sorta like if someone started a conversation with you in of Shakespearean English, but with a New York accent.

Personally I was able to get along with my :quebec: gobledygook in Paris, but I can see why Parisians woulda been weirded out by it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You could actually post something relevant or you can act like a passive aggressive crybaby. There's nobody stopping you.

You answered my question for me I'll wait until you leave. Thanks

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

You answered my question for me I'll wait until you leave. Thanks

Just put him on ignore like most people have already done.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Tupperwarez posted:

Russia next? I thought we were still going through the BRICS countries one by one as they each poo poo the bed.

im permabanned poster bumbklaattstomper58. i first started reading Brazil.jpg when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "só que não" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "KCT" and "puta que pariu" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of Brazil.jpg humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" Brazil.jpg to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Boiled Water posted:

A friend of mine went to paris with his quebecois wife. Said wife tried to speak quebec french with the locals who without fail responded in english.

Same thing happened to me when I spoke brazilian portuguese to portuguese people in NYC. Such assholes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where they being assholes or actually couldn't understand you? I spent a good 20 min listening to some Irish teens talking on a train before I realized it was some sort of english and would probably have a hard time having a conversation with them unless they slowed down a bit.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Where they being assholes or actually couldn't understand you? I spent a good 20 min listening to some Irish teens talking on a train before I realized it was some sort of english and would probably have a hard time having a conversation with them unless they slowed down a bit.

I worked with portuguese people for a long time and not only I knew the dialect differences, I was also speaking slower. The differences between native and brazilian portuguese are not that harsh.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Baronjutter posted:

If they were drunk excited Irish teens even a Great British native would have trouble.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

cnut posted:

一二三

:smug:

You stopped right where it gets ballstarded!

四五六七八

Seriously there is no rhyme or reason to it :negative:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

barbecue at the folks posted:

I would absolutely love some more Out On Town With Korean Women Stories now that aforementioned threadshitters seem to have found something else to fill their lonely existences for the moment

**Warning, there is no plunging in these stories, but there is content of a sexual nature in most of them**
***ladron, feel free to just skip this

There is nothing too outrageous in any of these stories. Basically I just wanted to share some of my experiences with Korean women after they have taken off their "culturally mandated facade" and let loose with no pressure to impress (basically not anger) Korean men. Most of the things that happen in these stories are how we were treated while hanging out, some altercations, the girls really cutting loose, or talking about social expectations and how they effected them.

After a week or two of hanging out with the girls, it's pretty clear that none are interested in me in a romantic way, or at least none of them want to follow through. I had just had a relationship with one of the Chinese foreign teachers who had left a month or two prior, and all of the teachers I was hanging out with were a little older than me and already either seeing someone, were engaged, or were actually married at the time, but spent little time at home since they had long commutes and just lived in the school apartments during the week.

The Wrong Stop:

One night we decide to take the subway into Seoul to cut loose and hang out as some clubs. It's an hour ride south to get into Seoul, so it was not something we did often, and on the ride there we were getting some dirty looks from old ladies and mid-30's Korean guys because I was sitting in the middle of our group of 8-9 and they were all talking to me in English. One thing that I found to be really counter to what you'd expect is the number of old Korean men (50-60's) who are super chill and would give me a thumbs up when they saw me in the middle of the group. Generally speaking, the girls would take flak every night we hung out from some butthurt Korean guy in his 20-30's who felt the need to protect their virtues from my foreign plans. So we go to 3-4 clubs and have a good time, do some drinking, hit up a Nori Bong (KTV/Karaoke Bar) and time things right to take the last subway back to the school. We get mixed up and end up taking the right line in the wrong direction, so we hop out get on a subway going in the right direction, and see how close we can get to our stop before the line closes. We're about half way there and the car comes to a stop at a station and the intercom informs us that the line is officially closed. We get out and see that this is pretty much the smallest town in Korea and is not likely to have a night bus service running. After walking around for a while we find a Jimjilbang (Korean sauna) and decide that we will spend the night there. We stop by a bar next to it and load up on Soju cocktails for another hour and play a round of "I have never". Not ten seconds after we walk out a Korean guy in his late 20's runs up to the girls and warns them that I am following them (I'm literally walking in the middle of the group). The girls tell him that I am a coworker, and they are showing me around. He proceeds to wave his arms at them and call them whores and leaves.

(I've had a lot of male Korean friends who have acted totally normal, and will even ask me if I think that Korean women are pretty, and thrilled when I say yes, but will act like they have caught Aatrek talking to their kid sister the moment a Korean girl approaches me to chat. Guys I have known for months and have had a good time with will make a point to take her aside and shame her into not interacting with me.)

On the way to the Jimjilbang I finally ask why a lot of Korean guys make a point of warning them about me or outright telling them not to be around me. This was when they told me about expected Korean dating practices, and the amount of literature (Yellow Journalism) about how all foreigners are infected with AIDS and want to spread it around Korea. We arrive at the jimjilbang and get changed and go into the communal area. It's a Tuesday night, so it's unusually empty, so there are not a lot of people to stare at us, and those that are there are already asleep since it's around 3:00am. The girls set their alarms, and we notice that there are not segregated sleeping rooms, just the big communal room. The girls make a dog pile and I grab a pillow and set up shop a few feet away. After about 5 minutes Yeon Hee (one of the older women gets up and lays next to me) while the rest of them very quietly go, "Ooohhh, Blistex gets some company". I ask her what she is doing, and if she is afraid of what people will think, and she says that nobody she knows will ever see her there. She cuddles up next to me and pulls my arm around her so that we are now spooning. After a minute nature of this it must be obvious that I don't have something in my pocket and I apologize. She says it is ok, and I ask if I should move. She rolls over, pulls open the front of the spa provided shorts, takes a look, and says, "He looks tired. He'll be asleep before we are." then resumes the spooning position. The soju did it's job, and my cigarette lighter went to sleep shortly thereafter.

On the ride back the next day another girl asks, "did Yeon Hee actually see your pepper"* And I said that she did, and that it was just a peek. She replied that she would need some scissors to do the same with her boyfriend. This prompted the girls to ask if I did much "manscaping" and I told them that we needed another night out before that topic would ever come up again. I asked them why they were such a close knit group of friends, while all of the other women at the school were always at each other's throats, and why they decided to adopt me. They explained that they were uncharacteristic when it came to Korean women. They were all study nerds in school and were sort of outcasts. When they got older they all applied to teach at this school because it was seen as a very prestigious post, and when they got here they learned that they were at the bottom of the totem pole so to speak, and overworked with all of the crap that everyone else piled on to them. None of them knew each other before, but they soon realized that they were all going to get burned out and have mental breakdowns if they didn't rely on each other for support, and the 6 months to 1.5 years that they had been had made them as close as lifelong friends. They said that they adopted me not because of the diplomatic way that I answered the lead teacher's question about which of the three of them was the most beautiful, but because at one time or another I had offered to do something for the majority of them (I often covered classes for them, brought in snacks, and never complained if they asked for help on extra work).

*I thought that she meant "pecker" but apparently it's an old-fashioned term for a baby's penis. :(

Excuse any grammar/tense/or other mistakes, I'm in the process of making Dong Po (Chinese Pork Belly).

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

got this in my wechat this morning. we can all know how good we are as foreigners now. hooray!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
having a college degree: 10 points
graduating from a world famous university: 5 points
being 29: 15 points

seems they put a lot of thought into this

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Let the artery clogging commence!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ceciltron posted:

Except the [...] writing system, even as simplified, has no logical construction. There's no seeming relation between anything, and you can't predict what a thing is based on what other things are!

I, too, read and write English.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Great Autismo! posted:

got this in my wechat this morning. we can all know how good we are as foreigners now. hooray!

lolling at the age scoring for points, very Logan's Run

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Blistex posted:

Let the artery clogging commence!

How was the plate

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jusupov posted:

How was the plate

It's really good. My wife says it's just like her grandmother's recipe, and for a first attempt, I managed to best her mother's version.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
post recipes itt

cnut
May 3, 2016

Ceciltron posted:

You stopped right where it gets ballstarded!

四五六七八

Seriously there is no rhyme or reason to it :negative:

:stonk: Please forgive me, I didn't know! :cripes:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Dzhay posted:

I, too, read and write English.

I'm talking about the writing system. Let me explain it.

"A" is a sound, right? And "B" is a sound, right?

AB can be inferred as the sound of A+B

The same as BA can be understood as the sound of B+A.

Now let's try and say BA in chinese. (results based on windows simplified chinese pinyin input)

把,巴,八,拔,爸, AND THE LIST GOES loving ON.

Compare that even to Korean, which has an almost mathematical system for compounding/sandhi, or Sanskrit/Devanagari which has clear rules breaking down vowels and consonants.

My point is: gently caress.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ceciltron posted:

I'm talking about the writing system. Let me explain it.

"A" is a sound, right? And "B" is a sound, right?

AB can be inferred as the sound of A+B

The same as BA can be understood as the sound of B+A.

Now let's try and say BA in chinese. (results based on windows simplified chinese pinyin input)

把,巴,八,拔,爸, AND THE LIST GOES loving ON.

Compare that even to Korean, which has an almost mathematical system for compounding/sandhi, or Sanskrit/Devanagari which has clear rules breaking down vowels and consonants.

My point is: gently caress.

What do you mean "even" Korean? Isn't Korean (almost) perfectly phonetic?

"A" is a whole bunch of sounds, and "B" is arguably two.

I'm not arguing that Chinese isn't worse, it really is, but English writing makes only the most token of gestures towards phonetics.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Dzhay posted:

What do you mean "even" Korean? Isn't Korean (almost) perfectly phonetic?

"A" is a whole bunch of sounds, and "B" is arguably two.

I'm not arguing that Chinese isn't worse, it really is, but English writing makes only the most token of gestures towards phonetics.

I'm not even talking about English. That's an assumption y'all are making. My point is that these simple rules apply for any languages that use non-insane scripts. If I see a word I do not recognise, I can still look it up. I can read it, and even make an effort to pronounce it. If I come across , how the hell am I supposed to parse that?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
By radical typically.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
This is a writing system designed to be hard for hardness' sake. This is the writing system equivalent of the guy who calls people casuals because they don't suffer enough to play games.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ceciltron posted:

I'm not even talking about English. That's an assumption y'all are making. My point is that these simple rules apply for any languages that use non-insane scripts. If I see a word I do not recognise, I can still look it up. I can read it, and even make an effort to pronounce it. If I come across , how the hell am I supposed to parse that?

that's the character biang and chinese people don't know how to write it and you'll only see it if you're in a restaurant in shaanxi. i actually learned how to write this in 2012 and like FBR said you learn it by radicals.

it's a terrible character

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Blistex posted:

**Warning, there is no plunging in these stories, but there is content of a sexual nature in most of them**
***ladron, feel free to just skip this

hahahah noted, thanks, but I'm too much of a masochist

Edit: this, however, cannot be stated enough::

Blistex posted:

I've had a lot of male Korean friends who have acted totally normal, and will even ask me if I think that Korean women are pretty, and thrilled when I say yes, but will act like they have caught Aatrek talking to their kid sister the moment a Korean girl approaches me to chat. Guys I have known for months and have had a good time with will make a point to take her aside and shame her into not interacting with me.

ladron fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 27, 2016

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

that's the character biang and chinese people don't know how to write it and you'll only see it if you're in a restaurant in shaanxi. i actually learned how to write this in 2012 and like FBR said you learn it by radicals.

;)

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I think I got this assigned once in college as a bonus joke question. I did not get it right.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
English is supposed to be phonetic but it's not taught that way in school (something I try to remedy). Vowel patterns should be taught as a block so you can mentally sort them into a sound category.

Each East yeast beast lease (Ē)
Bread breast head dead (Ê)
Earth search learn (Ur)

All these words used to be pronounced similarly but over time the pronunciation shifted while spelling didn't. Like how Shakespearean and Tang dynasty poetry rhymed then but don't now. You can counteract it in the classroom by having learners recognise the pattern (hey this word has ea), apply it (most of the time I say ē) and be ready if it doesn't work (oh it's the ê sound? Ok category 2 then like "bread") instead of going "THIS LANGUAGE SUCKS BETTER JUST MEMORISE THE IPA" like most local teachers make their kids do.

Of course then you get read and lead ...

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i only learned it because i was at the foreign studies HS and we had an entire unit on chinese food and when it came up i would ask "does anyone know how to write it" and literally no one knew how to write it and so then that night i learned it so i could blow everyone away the next day

i also won a few beers at the expat bar with chinese people when they don't believe i can write it, though i'm sure my stroke order is incorrect because i've never actually learned chinese in a classroom setting or with a teacher

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Typically it's just top to bottom, left to right based on where the stroke finishes, close boxes last.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
drat. ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Typically it's just top to bottom, right to left basted on where the stroke finishes, close boxes last.

right, but it gets a bit hectic when there's like 38 strokes or whatever it is for biang, there's even more if you use the traditional radicals, which i learned at the time but can't remember now

• Locked thread