Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Titus Sardonicus posted:

What movie is it?

The Siege of Jadotville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The man who "discovered" America. Son of Eirik the Red who "discovered" Greenland.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

The man who "discovered" America. Son of Eirik the Red who "discovered" Greenland.

Ah. Famous, then, was he?

3peat
May 6, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Turks are very Greek and Greeks are quite Turkish.

The Turkic people that conquered Anatolia back in the day were probably vastly outnumbered by the Greeks living there already. Which is why Turkish Turks look a lot more Greek and less Asian than most of the other Turkic nations that never left Central Asia.

Turks, Greeks and everybody else in the Balkans are all the same people. Namely, they are all Albanian.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ah. Famous, then, was he?

Well we all celebrate Leif Erikson Day, with the viking helmets and paper mache boats.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Turks are very Greek and Greeks are quite Turkish.

The Turkic people that conquered Anatolia back in the day were probably vastly outnumbered by the Greeks living there already. Which is why Turkish Turks look a lot more Greek and less Asian than most of the other Turkic nations that never left Central Asia.

Correct, except that not everyone in Anatolia was Greek. I'm actually not sure which ethnicities were living there before the Turks arrived.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Before the Greeks there were descendants of the native Anatolians and Hittites, but they were very successfully Hellenized after the conquests of Alexander the Great. Anatolia was still pretty Greek until the genocide of the Greeks and subsequent population transfer between Greece and Turkey.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jaramin posted:

Before the Greeks there were descendants of the native Anatolians and Hittites, but they were very successfully Hellenized after the conquests of Alexander the Great. Anatolia was still pretty Greek until the genocide of the Greeks and subsequent population transfer between Greece and Turkey.

Phlegmish posted:

Correct, except that not everyone in Anatolia was Greek. I'm actually not sure which ethnicities were living there before the Turks arrived.

The core of Anatolia was originally Hittite but by the time the Turks arrive it had probably been converted entirely to Greek and Armenian. That reversed with the Turks and by WW1 the core was almost entirely Turkish. The Aegean and Pontic littoral and the Armenian highland and to a lesser extent Cilicia still had lots of non-Turks till the Young Turks came along though

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HookShot posted:

Leif Erikson should totally be the most famous Icelander :colbert:

I refuse to accept that it isn't Bjork.

e: Google got my back

e2: Then again, what even is that map anyway? "most influential" or something?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 25, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fishmech posted:

Well we all celebrate Leif Erikson Day, with the viking helmets and paper mache boats.

I will come see you off on your papier mache boat voyage.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Guess the map:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

TinTower posted:

Guess the map:

I've thought about this for a while and the only answer I can come up with is "countries picked at random"

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
First-past-the-post voting systems, guessing by its similarity to britishempire.jpg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Guess the map:

Places that speak English. :australia:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Llamadeus posted:

First-past-the-post voting systems, guessing by its similarity to britishempire.jpg

Aaaagh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-past-the-post_voting#/media/File:Countries_That_Use_a_First_Past_the_Post_Voting_System.png

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what are those lines off the coast of Portugal/Morocco and a few other places?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

double nine posted:

what are those lines off the coast of Portugal/Morocco and a few other places?

They attach Spain, Portugal, Norway, etc. to their islands, so the map maker can use the paint bucket tool to fill in a country at once. Not the most elegant solution, and few Wikipedia maps still use it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

They attach Spain, Portugal, Norway, etc. to their islands, so the map maker can use the paint bucket tool to fill in a country at once. Not the most elegant solution, and few Wikipedia maps still use it.
Do not mock Great Svalbard Bridge.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

TinTower posted:

Guess the map:

We're back to doing this again?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Greater Greece

Greater Macedonia

Greater Bulgaria

Greater Armenia

Greater Azerbaijan :goatsecx:

And finally for something current and very politically-loaded:

Foreign Policy posted:

In the past few weeks, a conflict between Ankara and Baghdad over Turkey’s role in the liberation of Mosul has precipitated an alarming burst of Turkish irredentism. On two separate occasions, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan criticized the Treaty of Lausanne, which created the borders of modern Turkey, for leaving the country too small. He spoke of the country’s interest in the fate of Turkish minorities living beyond these borders, as well as its historic claims to the Iraqi city of Mosul, near which Turkey has a small military base. And, alongside news of Turkish jets bombing Kurdish forces in Syria and engaging in mock dogfights with Greek planes over the Aegean Sea, Turkey’s pro-government media have shown a newfound interest in a series of imprecise, even crudely drawn, maps of Turkey with new and improved borders.

Greater Turkey! :cryingerdogan:

e: lol at Chalkidiki and Thessaloniki being simultaneously claimed by Greece, Macedonia and Bulgaria. Shame that even an irredentist Turkey doesn't jump on this particular bandwagon

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 26, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

System Metternich posted:

Greater Turkey! :cryingerdogan:

Yes, put almost all of Kurdistan within Turkish borders. Then, united in opposition to one government, Kurdish national aspirations will surely fall apart.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Ofaloaf posted:

Yes, put almost all of Kurdistan within Turkish borders. Then, united in opposition to one government, Kurdish national aspirations will surely fall apart.

I'd imagine the idea is to genocide them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kurds? I think you mean Mountain Turks.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ras Het posted:

I'd imagine the idea is to genocide them.

Merely resettle them, friend. Turkey would never genocide someone.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Peanut President posted:

Merely resettle them, friend. Turkey would never genocide someone.

I hear the bottom of the Black Sea is splendid this time of year.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Greater Azerbaijan :goatsecx:

TEHRAN IS RIGHTFUL AZERI CLAY

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Which is the piece of land with the most overlapping claims, anyway? Probably the previously mentioned Thessaloniki, or somewhere else in the Balkans, or Galicia?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
why sweden and norway?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Whiz Palace posted:

Which is the piece of land with the most overlapping claims, anyway? Probably the previously mentioned Thessaloniki, or somewhere else in the Balkans, or Galicia?

I'd say that Sandžak, formerly known as the Sanjak of Novi Pazar, could be the one. Claimed by Serbian, Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin, and Albanian/Kosovar nationalists, as well as Sanjak separatists, who may be in favour or against a merger with Bosnia.

fake edit: Greater Turkey as well.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

uuhhh Finns are, as everyone knows, basically Mongols, Mongols are Altaic which means they are practically Turks.

or something

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmmm that's weird that they would stop in 1600 I wonder what happened after that.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Whiz Palace posted:

The Spratly Islands? The entire group is claimed by China, Taiwan, and Vietnam. A smaller chunk is also claimed by both Brunei and Malaysia, and the Philippines also claim some.

Comedy option: Parts of Texas could be claimed by neo-Confederates, Texian secessionists, Greater Mexico, Greater Spain, Greater England, Greater Deseret, Greater New Mexico, Greater California, Greater France, and of course the US of A.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 26, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is that Iran in Tibet?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did the decadent Turk really genocide the Greek in Anatolia?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Is that Iran in Tibet?

Tibet is the purple bit. Iran is more in Yunnan.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Did the decadent Turk really genocide the Greek in Anatolia?

Don't know if I'm missing :thejoke: here but in 1923 Turkey and Greece conducted a massive population exchange which is just a euphemism for the forceful expulsion of millions of Greek Anatolians and Turkish Greeks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Don't know if I'm missing :thejoke: here but in 1923 Turkey and Greece conducted a massive population exchange which is just a euphemism for the forceful expulsion of millions of Greek Anatolians and Turkish Greeks

Sneaky Slovaks.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That feel when you try to make a map about the Treaty of Lausanne but can't tell two different countries apart because they start with the same syllable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Lmao, I didn't even notice that