Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Most of these legends seem really, really boring and weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What is Saskia's plane?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kynaios and Tiro seems UG to me. I guess two-person legendaries are generally red

it's red because it's card disadvantage

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

“That right there is a Ken Nagle card if I’ve ever seen one."

“Thank you so much! That’s actually a card I designed.”

“Uh no. The card you made was an abomination.”

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
lmao that art on Ravos.....its so bad, like parody bad

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ZeroCount posted:

I would like a [...] commander based around land destruction

Any other cardinal sins you'd like to confess before you go to hell for all eternity?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Any other cardinal sins you'd like to confess before you go to hell for all eternity?

I play lands above creatures

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Look man just staple an Armageddon to a Zo-Zu or something, I'm not picky.

EDIT: Mono-red Zo-Zu Punishment is actually one of my favourite EDH decks but I am under no illusions about how good it actually is

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

80s James Hetfield posted:

lmao that art on Ravos.....its so bad, like parody bad

Somebody doesn't have an eye for sexy twinks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They were way too careful with partner. None of the partners synergize with one another. Individually, they are just creatures that are less powerful than almost any other creature in your deck, with the bonus that they're always available to cast. If they revisit the mechanic in the future, and they should, they could let them have abilities that get better if you control both your commanders, or partners that make it easier to cast your other partner from the command zone, etc. It's odd how safe they played it when they could easily have some synergy built in.

I still want to build my Brisela deck. I wonder if someone saw Brisela in the design file for Eldritch Moon and got the idea to play them together, and then got the idea to make something like it happen in C16.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BJPaskoff posted:

None of the partners synergize with one another.

No you see like Bruse gives things double strike and Sidar Kondo makes things with 2 power or less harder to block, and like half of them have combat damage triggers and 2 power.

They do synergize, but the synergy isn't very good.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

BJPaskoff posted:

partners that make it easier to cast your other partner from the command zone, etc.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ZeroCount posted:

I mean ideally I would like a R/W commander based around land destruction but I've come to accept what Boros will forever be

That would be RG following modern color pie. When was the last time white destroyed lands?

Just play Krenko with those 2 dwarfs that can tap to destroy non-basics.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

That would be RG following modern color pie. When was the last time white destroyed lands?

Just play Krenko with those 2 dwarfs that can tap to destroy non-basics.

Or you know, Goblin Settler and Goblin Gardner

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
New cards spoiled

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

Or you know, Goblin Settler and Goblin Gardner

Why would I only want to destroy 1 land one time when I can destroy a land every turn? I think most of my spells in my Krenko are about making Goblins or destroying lands. And Chandras.

also gently caress paying 40 bucks for a goblin demolish

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

if it didn't take time and money to print off cards, i'd love to do a draft or cube of the roborosewater cards :allears:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Why would I only want to destroy 1 land one time when I can destroy a land every turn? I think most of my spells in my Krenko are about making Goblins or destroying lands. And Chandras.

also gently caress paying 40 bucks for a goblin demolish

In Wort Boggart auntie I have Goblin Sharpshooter, Urborg, and Kormus Bell.

Because I just savagely hate people.

Or kiki jiki that Gobln Settler every turn.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
"Oh were going to do that thing where we take characters mentioned in magic's story and never got cards and turn them into the new legendaries"

*proceed to print 3-5 cards of people anyone cares about, all of which are garbage, and 20 extras who got 3 lines of story relevance max. 90% are from Theros/Tarkir/Zendikar/Innistrad*

And somehow, despite that focus on standard relevant characters, no Taigam.

Bird legend is kinda cool I guess.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Fun fact, Atraxa has visual elements of the four Praetors who contributed to her creation.

The first and most obvious is Elesh's white plating, then Sheoldred's four arms, and then a version of Jin-Gitaxias' spine, reinterpreted as two tails. Not seeing any Vorinclex, but I think her head-plate is way closer to his in design than it is to Norn's. Or maybe Vorinclex has been hiding a rocking set of legs this whole time. Who knows?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Veyrall posted:

Fun fact, Atraxa has visual elements of the four Praetors who contributed to her creation.

The first and most obvious is Elesh's white plating, then Sheoldred's four arms, and then a version of Jin-Gitaxias' spine, reinterpreted as two tails. Not seeing any Vorinclex, but I think her head-plate is way closer to his in design than it is to Norn's. Or maybe Vorinclex has been hiding a rocking set of legs this whole time. Who knows?

It's hard to see from this angle, but it's 100% the overall structure of her head. That mouth is a horrifying T-Rex maw.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

Or kiki jiki that Gobln Settler every turn.

gently caress you for making me want to play EDH again

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Well, there ya go! And I might be wrong about the Jin-Gitaxias portion being the tail.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Veyrall posted:

Does she actually exist? Or is she one of those sorta hypothetical avatar type deals?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Does she actually exist? Or is she one of those sorta hypothetical avatar type deals?

the former, we're given a 1 sentence description in the article where she was previewed that she's the messenger of the praetors or w/e

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Ludevic makes me sad, and I don't even play red in my edh deck

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Oh, today's flavor article is a paragraph of description about every new legend in the C16 set, if you're really curious. Also now we know that the last general is Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder, and the remaining new legends are Thrasios, Triton Hero and Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper, not that we know what they do.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
everything about edh sounds like a complete nightmare to me

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

little munchkin posted:

everything about Magic, humanity, life, and the universe sounds like a complete nightmare to me

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BJPaskoff posted:

They were way too careful with partner. None of the partners synergize with one another. Individually, they are just creatures that are less powerful than almost any other creature in your deck, with the bonus that they're always available to cast. If they revisit the mechanic in the future, and they should, they could let them have abilities that get better if you control both your commanders, or partners that make it easier to cast your other partner from the command zone, etc. It's odd how safe they played it when they could easily have some synergy built in.

I still want to build my Brisela deck. I wonder if someone saw Brisela in the design file for Eldritch Moon and got the idea to play them together, and then got the idea to make something like it happen in C16.

The reason they were careful with it is because Partner basically gives you permanent card advantage (and yes I'm aware it doesn't *entirely* work like that in EDH).

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

gently caress you for making me want to play EDH again

I just hate people.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

little munchkin posted:

everything about my dreams last night sounds like a complete nightmare to me

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Now this should have been the boros partner

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

atrus50 posted:

Now this should have been the boros partner

Actually yeah, it should have, except it should have been any player and the tokens should be given haste.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mezzanon posted:

This seems like the most fun thing in the world to assemble in new Commander playgroups.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

The art for the new Guardians of Meletis is pretty amazing and groundbreaking for Mtg: an interracial gay couple and one of them is lovingly caressing the other one's neck.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
How does that card interact with Panharmonicon? Are there any good combos for it?

e: talking about faerie artisans

Oh also are any of the new legends from Amonkhet or other new/weird planes?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Also the new RW commander is great, its a 2 mana Boros commander, (which has never been done before) with a massive damage ceiling. It even comboes well with the other Boros partner, which is more than any of the other partners can say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lets Pickle posted:

The art for the new Guardians of Meletis is pretty amazing and groundbreaking for Mtg: an interracial gay couple and one of them is lovingly caressing the other one's neck.

For pretty much any mass market game. I'm rather glad they don't shove it in your face, either. Like, it's in the art, but the flavor text isn't AND THEY SAID NO, YOU ARE THE ONES WHO ARE ABOMINATIONS or whatever the gently caress, they just kind of are. I thought the Alesha story was reaaaaalllly fuckin' hamfisted.

(although I haven't read the theros lore so maybe they're super loving obnoxious there)

• Locked thread