Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of getting a 5X to upgrade my Nexus 4. I have a couple of questions about Google Fi.

1. The 5X deal is still active, right? I haven't clicked through, but it looks like they are still offering it on the Fi page, even though the 5X has been removed from the Google store.

2. I'm sorta undecided on Google Fi vs. the T-Mobile nerd plan I have now. I was planning on just activating Google Fi as a new number, and holding onto my T-Mobile sim(I guess I need to get a cutter or order a new sim) for now. If I decide I love Google Fi, will I have problems cancelling that number, then porting my T-Mobile number over? Should I activate on a second Google account and not my primary google account, just to be safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

torgo posted:

I'm thinking of getting a 5X to upgrade my Nexus 4. I have a couple of questions about Google Fi.

1. The 5X deal is still active, right? I haven't clicked through, but it looks like they are still offering it on the Fi page, even though the 5X has been removed from the Google store.

2. I'm sorta undecided on Google Fi vs. the T-Mobile nerd plan I have now. I was planning on just activating Google Fi as a new number, and holding onto my T-Mobile sim(I guess I need to get a cutter or order a new sim) for now. If I decide I love Google Fi, will I have problems cancelling that number, then porting my T-Mobile number over? Should I activate on a second Google account and not my primary google account, just to be safe?

Honestly, unless your cell reception is poo poo with just T-Mobile and you want Sprint to maybe flesh it out some, stick with the nerd plan. The 100 minute limit isn't an issue when you have more or less unlimited minutes via Google voice, and you get way more data for the same price, plus unlimited music streaming.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I'm surprised it's happened so soon, but now that US Cellular is onboard Fi, I might be making the switch.

I've had US Cellular for years as they have the best service in the Madison, WI area. If I'm happy with my US Cellular coverage, there's no risk that my service will be worse on Fi, right? Is the switching between Wifi/USC/TMO/Sprint seemless? Or may my experience actually be worse than my current service on US Cellular only?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
According to the FAQs, it's seamless.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

A few goons have reported an issue where their phone sees more than one carrier's tower, and the phone keeps preferring the "worse" tower, but I don't think it's very widespread at all. And even if you have this problem, you can download a third-party helper app that will let you force your phone to the better tower.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For some reason my Nexus 5X hasn't been doing Wifi Calling today. I tried turning Wifi Calling off and back on, and rebooting the phone. Anything else?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Turn on airplane mode. Turn on wifi.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Mr Executive posted:

I'm surprised it's happened so soon, but now that US Cellular is onboard Fi, I might be making the switch.

I've had US Cellular for years as they have the best service in the Madison, WI area. If I'm happy with my US Cellular coverage, there's no risk that my service will be worse on Fi, right? Is the switching between Wifi/USC/TMO/Sprint seemless? Or may my experience actually be worse than my current service on US Cellular only?

Hello fellow Madisonian. I jumped to Fi as soon as US Cellular was on board. Have had 0 issues with Fi so far (2 months).

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

jfff posted:

Hello fellow Madisonian. I jumped to Fi as soon as US Cellular was on board. Have had 0 issues with Fi so far (2 months).

Good to hear. Do you venture outside of the city/interstates at all? the last time I looked around, US Cellular was the only carrier that had any decent rural coverage in southern Wisconsin. I have family out in the boonies, so I want to make sure Fi doesn't poo poo the bed when US Cellular at least has phone service and some 3G out there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
For those using Signal Spy, how does the data saver feature work? I can't find any documentation on it. I actually left my house on Saturday for an hour and somehow used up 200 MB while grocery shopping.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Has anyone switched to Fi from an AT&T prepaid plan (GoPhone)? I need an account and PIN number in order to transfer my number to Fi and after logging into my GoPhone account online, I don't see anything regarding an account number. I have a PIN to log into my GoPhone account, but I've read that your PIN is the last 4 digits of your SSN (my SSN and my GoPhone PIN are not the same).

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Uthor posted:

For those using Signal Spy, how does the data saver feature work? I can't find any documentation on it. I actually left my house on Saturday for an hour and somehow used up 200 MB while grocery shopping.

It monitors your data usage and turns on a VPN to nowhere when you go over.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

frosteh posted:

Has anyone switched to Fi from an AT&T prepaid plan (GoPhone)? I need an account and PIN number in order to transfer my number to Fi and after logging into my GoPhone account online, I don't see anything regarding an account number. I have a PIN to log into my GoPhone account, but I've read that your PIN is the last 4 digits of your SSN (my SSN and my GoPhone PIN are not the same).

Have you tried calling AT&T support?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

azurite posted:

It monitors your data usage and turns on a VPN to nowhere when you go over.

Is it something like a daily data limit? Hourly? Monthly? I'm assuming one can override this if they want to actually use that data?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

frosteh posted:

You're more than likely going to have to call AT&T for the account number. I know with Boost they specifically say to call in for the account number, and when you do they transfer you straight to retentions. I'm assuming this is just how prepaid works.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Uthor posted:

Is it something like a daily data limit? Hourly? Monthly? I'm assuming one can override this if they want to actually use that data?

Daily. Yes, you can turn it off if you actually want to use the data.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Mr Executive posted:

Good to hear. Do you venture outside of the city/interstates at all? the last time I looked around, US Cellular was the only carrier that had any decent rural coverage in southern Wisconsin. I have family out in the boonies, so I want to make sure Fi doesn't poo poo the bed when US Cellular at least has phone service and some 3G out there.

My wife's family lives in Podunk, WI and I'm able to stream audio, not on interstates, from my house to their door. If you're happy with US Cellular now you'll be happier with Project Fi. Went from Madison to High Cliff state park a few weekends ago and had no issues with reception/streaming along the way. Even had reception in the camp site. I did however hit a few rough spots on a trip from Madison to Minneapolis which I found odd.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Thinking about making the jump to Project Fi from an old Sprint family plan. The Google support page for transferring your number to Project Fi says that all you need is an account number and a Sprint PIN. Even if I am not the primary account holder, is the process the same? Or do I need to get together with the primary account holder at a Sprint Store to ensure a transition?

Relatedly, if I leave a family plan, how does that affect the primary account holder? We're near contract renewal time anyways, so I'm hoping its nothing more than a pro-rated etf.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I managed to get the account number and PIN. I'm waiting for an email from Google when the Nexus 5x 16gb is back in stock. Hopefully it's not too long a wait because my current phone shat the bed.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

If I switch networks using Signal Spy, Fi will still choose the best network later, right?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Chaotic Flame posted:

If I switch networks using Signal Spy, Fi will still choose the best network later, right?

Yes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Speaking of Signal Spy, I ponied up for the pro version. One needs to turn on Accessibility to have it auto apply the switching codes. When I do, it prevents the volume slider from automatically hiding after a few seconds. It's weird and more annoying than manually pasting the codes into the dialer.

Running on a 5x.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Uthor posted:

Speaking of Signal Spy, I ponied up for the pro version. One needs to turn on Accessibility to have it auto apply the switching codes. When I do, it prevents the volume slider from automatically hiding after a few seconds. It's weird and more annoying than manually pasting the codes into the dialer.

Running on a 5x.

I was wondering why that was happening! Thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

azurite posted:

I was wondering why that was happening! Thanks!

Be sure to reset your unlock screen if you make changes. Otherwise, it gets turned off with no warning! At least now you can turn it back on in the settings without enabling and disabling services and rebooting your phone.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I finally have a phone that is compatible with this plan. Can anybody who has used it for 3+ months post some impressions? Is the signal consistently good? Are there any niggles that annoy you that wouldn't exist on ATT or Verizon?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The only issues I have is in areas with spotty reception where it won't switch off a marginal service to a better one. I installed Signal Spy to aid in forcing the switch when that happens. It's a but annoying.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

FedEx Mercury posted:

I finally have a phone that is compatible with this plan. Can anybody who has used it for 3+ months post some impressions? Is the signal consistently good? Are there any niggles that annoy you that wouldn't exist on ATT or Verizon?

Gonna have to let us know where you live. World of difference between urban, exurb, and the sticks.

And why are you switching and from what?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I live in Sheboygan county which is suburban I guess, even though there is no urban area. My main draw is the US Cellular compatibility, as my employer has put a USC repeater in our building which totally wrecks ATT and Verizon signals.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I got a Pixel through Fi, and switched from the T-Mobile nerd plan. T-mobile worked great 99% of the time where I live, and I am relatively sure I'm on T-Mobile towers all the time. Works identically so far. Made a call on my home WiFi and it sounded fine.

One neat thing is that I put $10 into Hangouts while in Japan ($0.10/m wifi call that I had to make). I completely forgot that I had like $9.70 there, but it somehow was automatically credited to Fi.

I have yet to really test things, as I haven't gone out of town or into areas with known bad reception.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Anyone heard anything about a time table for the the Pixel XL's being back in stock through Google? I need the XL else others might question my masculinity.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Weird question, but can someone tell me how Project Fi shows up on their credit card statement? I'm wondering if it codes as a telecommunications expense or some more generic Google charge.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

rhombus posted:

Weird question, but can someone tell me how Project Fi shows up on their credit card statement? I'm wondering if it codes as a telecommunications expense or some more generic Google charge.

Shows up as:
GOOGLE*PROJECT FI

For me, on my Capital one card at least, it's coded as "other services."

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The charge itself is listed as "GOOGLE* PROJECT FI G.CO/PAYHELP#CA" and the category is "business services not elsewhere classified."

This is SunTrust for what it's worth.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Thanks. Trying to figure out if I can keep my 5x credit card points after switching. Looks like probably not.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

rhombus posted:

Thanks. Trying to figure out if I can keep my 5x credit card points after switching. Looks like probably not.

If you get bonus points for telecom spending it should show up as that, it does with Chase. If not you can probably call your CC company and have them correct it, shouldn't be a big deal. I mean, it is Telecom, after all.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm switching from Sprint to Google Fi tomorrow, very pumped! Buying a Nexus 6P off of a friend for only $100 which I believe is a great deal, while simultaneously cutting my phone bill in half(and while still using Sprint's network :getin:)

There hasn't been any issue porting phone numbers over, has there? I was speaking with my friend and she said that Google does all that for you which is dope, but just checking. I've had this number since I was 14 damnit, you can't take it away from me! Get off my lawn, you kids!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Whatever you do do not cancel your Sprint service until the port is fully complete. Other than that it should be no problem.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

bigman.50grand posted:

Anyone heard anything about a time table for the the Pixel XL's being back in stock through Google? I need the XL else others might question my masculinity.

Due to Samsung's 5 billion dollar note 7 gently caress up, both Apple and Google are struggling to meet demand for large screen phones. Both the 7+ and the Pixel XL are going to have supply problems for a while at least. Personally, I'm hoping to switch to Fi sometime early in 2017 but I'm not going to hold my breath.

My understanding is that Google was already not planning to produce as many phones as they were planning to sell (have people wait rather than have too many phones? not really sure), so it's going to be particularly bad for Pixel availability

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm switching from Sprint to Google Fi tomorrow, very pumped! Buying a Nexus 6P off of a friend for only $100 which I believe is a great deal, while simultaneously cutting my phone bill in half(and while still using Sprint's network :getin:)

There hasn't been any issue porting phone numbers over, has there? I was speaking with my friend and she said that Google does all that for you which is dope, but just checking. I've had this number since I was 14 damnit, you can't take it away from me! Get off my lawn, you kids!

Fi has a page where you enter in your Sprint info. You need your account number, your PIN, your billing address. Get all these and make sure they're correct. If you're not the primary account holder, you need to have that person contact Sprint and say that your line is now "available to port." But again, DON'T cancel your service with Sprint; the port will automatically do that for you when it's completed. If the port takes more than 24 hours you should call Fi/Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nocal posted:

Fi has a page where you enter in your Sprint info. You need your account number, your PIN, your billing address. Get all these and make sure they're correct. If you're not the primary account holder, you need to have that person contact Sprint and say that your line is now "available to port." But again, DON'T cancel your service with Sprint; the port will automatically do that for you when it's completed. If the port takes more than 24 hours you should call Fi/Sprint.

Ooh, that's good to know. I'll need to get that stuff tonight. Definitely haven't known my PIN for a long time.

Thanks!