Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Kataphract posted:

Negan? One dimensional sadist. Well, except for some level of Trump-like narcissism. Don't find him charismatic, just another bully without any social restraints. The only joy in him will be to see him broken and pissing his pants while he dies screaming in terror. And I suspect they are going to drag out that out for at least the whole season, if not more.
It's going to be worse than that. They're going to give Negan plenty of main cast-level plot armor and make him look as badass as possible throughout no matter how contrived the story gets, because he's just that much of a special snowflake villain. Jesus tap dancing Christ, the earlier encounters with the Savior underlings had more suspense than anything their big boss has touched so far. This is staged bullshit to the nth degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Nothing of worth will happen between now and next season's premier. By then I doubt it will be further than a pointless Nagan arc and possibly an eyepatch.

Was watching Doctor Who and it was weird seeing the governor in an episode.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

David Tennant should star in an episode of TWD as The Doctor, with him being the one to make Nagan look like a dweeb and remove him as a threat. Sonic Screwdriver > a club.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Remember when the governor escaped that factory full of zombies and teleported like Jason? That was cool.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

During the All Out War storyline, Dwight kidnaps Eugene to try to make him make bullets for Negan's side. Then he acts as a double-agent for Rick's side by doing things like stalling for time and taking out everybody in a squadron he's leading while Negan's not around, so he can blame Rick's side. Negan's side lobs a grenade and it blows Heath's leg off. Negan returns a kidnapped character as a walker with a hood over her head, and the walker bites Denise's forearm. She decides to use the time to save Heath instead of amputating it.

Maggie takes over Hilltop. After the war, there's a 2-year timeskip of prosperity during which Eugene apparently built a windmill. Alexandria uses bullets as currency, and Michonne found an Oceanside community in North Carolina that supplies their fish. Carl decides to be a blacksmith in Hilltop and Rick bids him farewell like a parent seeing a kid off to college. Soon after, two bullies are jealous of his dad's fame and try to assault Sophia (Enid). Then they throw a brick at his empty eye socket. Carl goes all PTSD and hammers their heads in with shovels real good. Maggie sends Carl goes to jail for long enough to placate a mob. They capture Alpha's daughter (Lydia) and agree to let her go in exchange for peace, but not before Carl falls in love with her.

Gregory tries to poison Maggie incompetently. Rick is talking to Andrea (Michonne) about how he spared Negan because the need to be civilized is greater than ever. It cuts to Maggie hanging Gregory in the public square. There's a fair/carnival being held were a crowd of people from all four communities gather to celebrate the peaceful, prosperous timeskip. Rick finds out about the hanging, and Maggie and Rick have a fist-fight in front of a huge crowd of all four united communities. The Whisperers draw away 12 people from the fair by blending in with the crowd and kill them while no one is looking and use their heads on pikes to demarcate a border, including Rosita's head and Ezekiel's. Carl and Lydia gently caress and she licks his eye socket.

Comic fans highly suspect they're going to give all Dwight's storylines to Daryl.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 26, 2016

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I know it won't happen but the show really should end after the time skip. Let things be dangerous but vaguely hopeful and go out on a "good" note instead of just letting everyone die until cancellation.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Remember when the governor escaped that factory full of zombies and teleported like Jason? That was cool.

Remember when Nagan drove rick around and stopped right where the RV previously stopped? (On the same side that the RV could not get through.)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

galenanorth posted:

During the All Out War storyline, Dwight kidnaps Eugene to try to make him make bullets for Negan's side. Then he acts as a double-agent for Rick's side by doing things like stalling for time and taking out everybody in a squadron he's leading while Negan's not around, so he can blame Rick's side.

Holy poo poo I hope they devote an entire episode to this. Wacky hijinks abound!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

galenanorth posted:

During the All Out War storyline, Dwight kidnaps Eugene to try to make him make bullets for Negan's side. Then he acts as a double-agent for Rick's side by doing things like stalling for time and taking out everybody in a squadron he's leading while Negan's not around, so he can blame Rick's side. Negan's side lobs a grenade and it blows Heath's leg off. Negan returns a kidnapped character as a walker with a hood over her head, and the walker bites Denise's forearm. She decides to use the time to save Heath instead of amputating it.

Maggie takes over Hilltop. After the war, there's a 2-year timeskip of prosperity during which Eugene apparently built a windmill. Alexandria uses bullets as currency, and Michonne found an Oceanside community in North Carolina that supplies their fish. Carl decides to be a blacksmith in Hilltop and Rick bids him farewell like a parent seeing a kid off to college. Soon after, two bullies are jealous of his dad's fame and try to assault Sophia (Enid). Then they throw a brick at his empty eye socket. Carl goes all PTSD and hammers their heads in with shovels real good. Maggie sends Carl goes to jail for long enough to placate a mob. They capture Alpha's daughter (Lydia) and agree to let her go in exchange for peace, but not before Carl falls in love with her.

Gregory tries to poison Maggie incompetently. Rick is talking to Andrea (Michonne) about how he spared Negan because the need to be civilized is greater than ever. It cuts to Maggie hanging Gregory in the public square. There's a fair/carnival being held were a crowd of people from all four communities gather to celebrate the peaceful, prosperous timeskip. Rick finds out about the hanging, and Maggie and Rick have a fist-fight in front of a huge crowd of all four united communities. The Whisperers draw away 12 people from the fair by blending in with the crowd and kill them while no one is looking and use their heads on pikes to demarcate a border, including Rosita's head and Ezekiel's. Carl and Lydia gently caress and she licks his eye socket.

Comic fans highly suspect they're going to give all Dwight's storylines to Daryl.

how to not spoiler tag

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

Remember when they spent two episodes building him into an interesting, multi-layered character with some depth, then set that all on fire and had him beat his 2nd in command to death out of absolutely loving nowhere because the writers couldn't be creative in how to get him back to the prison?

ED: Seriously if I was doing that plot I'd just had him trying to do the right thing, have his people end up entirely on the ropes and NEEDING a shelter like the prison (have his XO suggest it), then ultimately have him try to negotiate some deal with Rick that went south leading to the assault; maybe the impatient tank commander rear end in a top hat could have kick started it / his second in command could get sniped by Rick's guys. I don't know, yeah, it's just rambling fan ideas, but I can't help but feel there was a way to reach the same point with "Tragic story" instead of "Well that was dumb."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 26, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know I have to wonder, were Abe's last words the actor's last words to AMC when they tried to use this scene in negotiations?

I could be wrong but I bet you the reason they had all those clips of each person being hit with the bat is they wanted to make sure every actor knew they were on the chopping block if they wanted a raise and made them film it. Hey, free B-Roll!

Sulman posted:

I thought the bat scene was gratuitous and the relentless teasers focused on it bored me shitless, especially after the limp season end.

However, it did make an interesting companion to Rick's psychosis in the scene where he hacked up the Terminus survivor.

Seriously.

I think some people had more reaction than me. They drained all giving a poo poo with the way they handled this. It'd be like if Game of Thrones cut the Red Wedding at the Rains of Castamere and teased all the characters present in black & white with a "WHO WILL DIE" commercial assault. Instead of going "HOLY gently caress! HOLY gently caress! WHAT THE gently caress! HOLY gently caress!" I just went "Welp, looks like the internet was right on who gets it. Man that eye effect looks hilarious. I can't even feel bad right now."

I don't mind cliff hangers. I really don't. Jesus Christ, the cliffhanger that lead into Ozymandias on Breaking Bad was one of the most nail biting weeks ever. This is precisely how not to do a cliffhanger.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 26, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, the gore didn't bother me, most of it was just Negan repeatedly bashing piles of much on the ground anyway. I don't even particularly care about who died. I'm just tired of the same old poo poo: guy does something terrible while joking and laughing about it, group is broken down psychologically, and then eventually exacts their revenge. If that's all the show is going to offer in the long run, then what's the point?

For what it's worth, I've heard the comics go the complete reverse of that eventually, and this doesn't end like you'd think.

cjg posted:

Yeah. I'm having a hard time buying that this kind of group can exist and thrive. They're very very bad people. It would be so easy for someone to kill Negan. I'm sure there are some crazies in their ranks, right?

I would have found it hilarious if Rick just anticipated that rifle (as he should have) and did some police disarming poo poo to knock it aside and still hit him with the axe. All his posturing would have gone south real loving fast, and honestly, they might have just mutually killed each other in the real world.

I mean what if Rick had been Daryl and just thrown the axe at the Neegan instead of trying to club him with it? That'd been comedy gold and I'm sure people who kill zombies with axes ALL DAY are pretty good with them.

Now I just want to see an alternate take where they come back to Neegan's camp and Rick just kicks Neegan's head out the door and tells everyone they work for him, because honestly, Rick had a good chance at that.

Cartouche posted:

David Tennant should star in an episode of TWD as The Doctor, with him being the one to make Nagan look like a dweeb and remove him as a threat. Sonic Screwdriver > a club.

That sounds absolutely terrible.

If you want a sci-fi crossover involving a doctor I'd rather the Council of Ricks abduct Rick where he finds out Rick started the apocalypse, but not that Rick.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I know it won't happen but the show really should end after the time skip. Let things be dangerous but vaguely hopeful and go out on a "good" note instead of just letting everyone die until cancellation.

Everything should look screwed and then a huge military rolls up. Turns out Europe totally beat the infection and has come to liberate the US this time.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 26, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Or Rick could have killed negan with the axe when he otherwise just handed it back to him like a shook bitch.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus I've posted way too much today but yeah

That Europe comment did make me wonder, why the hell haven't they spun this show off in every country if they want spin-offs, with a zombie apocalypse set in that specific country? That seems way more profitable than Fear.

I mean for fucks sake we've seen a Mexican remake of Breaking Bad that was hilariously pointless, but shows like The Office or most reality shows have like a dozen regional versions that pull in money not many people are aware of.

Seems like AMC really is missing easy bank on this one. Instead of giving us a lovely Walking Dead set in Mexico, they should have given us lovely Walking Dead made in Mexico.

ED: Walking Dead China could be the Glorious Chinese Government succeeding and endlessly stopping the zombie hordes as the heroic and untouchable military they are, and make all the money.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 26, 2016

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Bigass Moth posted:

Or Rick could have killed negan with the axe when he otherwise just handed it back to him like a shook bitch.

Yeah maybe try to get him when he's busy driving the RV back to camp instead of when he's sitting there daring you to come at him.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

What do you think the 100 heavily armed men that are actively holding like 9 of your people hostage at gunpoint are going to do if you come back having killed their leader? Especially after you have already killed like 50 of their friends and comrades? They still absolutely have the upper hand and absolutely have every reason to want you dead. All Rick killing Negan does is guarantee every one in his group, and everyone back in Alexandria, are dead.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 26, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah but maybe they're orks

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

Jesus I've posted way too much today but yeah

That Europe comment did make me wonder, why the hell haven't they spun this show off in every country if they want spin-offs, with a zombie apocalypse set in that specific country? That seems way more profitable than Fear.

ISIS and NATO team up and take on the zombie hordes.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah but maybe they're orks

That would explain my sexual attraction to them.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Stickarts posted:

What do you think the 100 heavily armed men that are actively holding like 9 of your people hostage at gunpoint are going to do if you come back having killed their leader? Especially after you have already killed like 50 of their friends and comrades? They still absolutely have the upper hand and absolutely have every reason to want you dead. All Rick killing Negan does is guarantee every one in his group, and everyone back in Alexandria, are dead.

He could have killed Nagan. Carol came and pretty much soloed the cannibals.

If Nagan and Rick didn't come back, I am pretty certain the guys with the guns wouldn't have simply slaughtered everyone while not knowing his status.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Stickarts posted:

He kills negan and then drives back and headshots all those goons with the infinite ammo gun negan used on the zombies duh.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cartouche posted:

I am pretty certain the guys with the guns wouldn't have simply slaughtered everyone while not knowing his status.

Haha based on what? Doesn't Negan specifically say something to this effect?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Haha based on what? Doesn't Negan specifically say something to this effect?

Did he? I just remember saying that rick may or may not return with him.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Cartouche posted:

Did he? I just remember saying that rick may or may not return with him.

I think he said that if he comes back without Rick to kill them all?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of people on my Facebook feed are absolutely disgusted and uncomfortable with the premiere, which I still don't really get. I think the thing that shocked me the most was the S5 premiere where a group of cannibals in an arranged cattle-like fashion with clipboards and poo poo slit a dude's loving throat open over a trough like it was nothing.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

moist turtleneck posted:

That'd actually be great if they met a community that was them in bizarro world

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cartouche posted:

He could have killed Nagan. Carol came and pretty much soloed the cannibals.

If Nagan and Rick didn't co-

Who's Nagan?

I miss Abe already

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Tim Whatley posted:

A lot of people on my Facebook feed are absolutely disgusted and uncomfortable with the premiere, which I still don't really get. I think the thing that shocked me the most was the S5 premiere where a group of cannibals in an arranged cattle-like fashion with clipboards and poo poo slit a dude's loving throat open over a trough like it was nothing.

The morning radio host on the channel I listen to on the way to work has been whining about it all week. I just want to call and tell him he is a little girl.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Blazing Ownager posted:

That sounds absolutely terrible.

If you want a sci-fi crossover involving a doctor I'd rather the Council of Ricks abduct Rick where he finds out Rick started the apocalypse, but not that Rick.

Now everytime I read a Rick in this thread I keep thinking Sanchez

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think the real hook this season is when we find out Negan's backstory. If they can humanize him like they did The Governor, it'll make what Kirkman says about " you'd have been rooting for him" become true.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Tim Whatley posted:

It doesn't make any sense to me either. I get that a lot of people argue that "it happened to a living person, not a zombie, so it's more 'real'" which I understand and does make sense but drat we've had scenes like you mentioned, and other poo poo with people being literally torn to pieces and eaten alive many, many times.

idk, it's weird to me; after seven seasons that now people are upset about gore. It's The Walking Dead. A show that has always prided itself on extremely over the top sfx gore. This is the show where the first episode had the corpse of a toddler on full display in graphic detail trying to eat people.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 27, 2016

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
It's "a thing" on social media now, that's why everyone suddenly cares, they're on the bandwagon. Yes, it's stupid as gently caress.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
honestly, Abe is the bigger loss here. We've got plenty of dour sad sacks, we only had one foul-mouthed marker-hair cigar aficionado

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess Abraham's actor can go back to his previous job of Sean Astin's stunt double.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

To add to that, there's a huge contingent of fans who aren't in it for the zombie-gore. My wife doesn't care for gore but she liked TWD because the characters were compelling and the interpersonal drama was interesting. As of last season she began to get pessimistic about the show, and now she's done with it. While people here can say "hey you got what you signed up for, its a zombie horror show!!!", no, that's really not the case. They've created a show that transcended the genre of campy zombie films and made something with real characters and real emotion. That's why it became the number 1 show on tv, not because of the makeup and the gore, but because the characters and their story arc was compelling to a wider audience than just horror movie connoisseurs.

haha what

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

To create an empire it's not feasible to smash the heads in of the people that the organisation is going to place many single atrophies. They don't know how the zombies are controlling anything because they are one with the demographic of not knowing how they affect how the people want to move on the betterment of society so that the king applauds their construct telling them all to go gently caress their masters in the arse.

That said Negan needs to show his people that he isn't a fox and that they don't need to worry about his beginning.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
My main take away from this thread is that a lot more people take this show too seriously than I could ever have imagined.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

honestly, Abe is the bigger loss here. We've got plenty of dour sad sacks, we only had one foul-mouthed marker-hair cigar aficionado

Agree. Probably the only likeable character on the show. Maybe Eugene too. Abe may have been a killer but I didn't get the same psycho vibe that the rest of the main cast exhibit.

I would watch a show focused on Abe and Eugene.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hardawn posted:

Now everytime I read a Rick in this thread I keep thinking Sanchez

http://www.nerdragecomic.com/

My brother sent me this this morning. Ooooh weeeee...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

The walking dead is like law and order, except instead of each episode being a procedural each season is.