Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the resident evil movies are loving amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They are extremely dull and generic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the Resident Evil movies.

Grendels Dad posted:

All the X-Men, is my guess. I haven't seen the RE movies but as far as I know there is only the vaguest hint of continuity between movies. It's like, whatever, the USA are a desert now.

There's continuity, usually Resident Evil movies end on a cliffhanger that's wrapped up in the first five minutes of the next movie before moving on to something completely different.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CelticPredator posted:

They are extremely dull and generic.

The first Resident Evil movie has a goofy commentary track where Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez just gossip and shoot the poo poo about stuff that went on during filming. The director (who is also Jovovich's husband) is also present and keeps trying to explain his shot choices and other technical stuff, and the girls shout him down and tell him to be quiet in order to continue gabbing about their co-workers obsession with Go-gurt. Milla also finds out that Michelle doesn't know how to pronounce her name (despite working with her on the film for 6 months) and has been dancing around being forced to say it.

One of the classics.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The first Resident Evil movie has a goofy commentary track where Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez just gossip and shoot the poo poo about stuff that went on during filming. The director (who is also Jovovich's husband) is also present and keeps trying to explain his shot choices and other technical stuff, and the girls shout him down and tell him to be quiet in order to continue gabbing about their co-workers obsession with Go-gurt. Milla also finds out that Michelle doesn't know how to pronounce her name (despite working with her on the film for 6 months) and has been dancing around being forced to say it.

One of the classics.

Milla admits that she doesn't actually know how to stage fight, so when she had to punch people she usually just punched them for real, and thinks the guys who complained about getting punched in the face by her are pussies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I liked the one where she landed a small airplane on a roof.... but the rest have been pretty bad, especially the last one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Other bizarrely amazing commentary tracks that are 100x better than the original media:

- The first 3-4 seasons of Family Guy are actually amazing. Seth McFarlane and his writers are really funny and talk about classical music inspirations and take a phone call with Seth Green for 15 minutes.

- Armageddon. Ben Affleck is loving hilarious and clearly drunk for part of it. He just poo poo talks the concept and tells amazing stories about Michael Bay and Bruce Willis.

- Seasons 2-6 of the Simpsons

- Fight Club

- Ocean's 11 is Matt Damon and George Clooney loving around for 2 hours and talking about how bad scenes are shot and how to start a cult.

- This is Spinal Tap does all the commentary in character.

- Cornell West and another Philosophy professor have a commentary track for all 3 Matrix movies and it is just as weird as you assume it is.

- Tropic Thunder has a lot of interesting commentary from the actors and Robery Downey Jr. does the entire commentary in character as an actor playing his actor character in character.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh yeah, the commentary tracks for Family Guy were great as they were cancelled and just shat on Fox. Talked about their testicle chins that were drawn and overall pretty insightful about each episode. Due to the success of that they were brought back - and well, the quality was gone IMO.

The Step Brothers commentary track is probably one of the best I have ever heard though. Most of the track is a musical of them singing about what is happening and what they went through. They invite NBA player Baron Davis near the middle to talk and it goes off from there.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Other bizarrely amazing commentary tracks that are 100x better than the original media:

- The first 3-4 seasons of Family Guy are actually amazing. Seth McFarlane and his writers are really funny and talk about classical music inspirations and take a phone call with Seth Green for 15 minutes.

- Armageddon. Ben Affleck is loving hilarious and clearly drunk for part of it. He just poo poo talks the concept and tells amazing stories about Michael Bay and Bruce Willis.

- Seasons 2-6 of the Simpsons

- Fight Club

- Ocean's 11 is Matt Damon and George Clooney loving around for 2 hours and talking about how bad scenes are shot and how to start a cult.

- This is Spinal Tap does all the commentary in character.

- Cornell West and another Philosophy professor have a commentary track for all 3 Matrix movies and it is just as weird as you assume it is.

- Tropic Thunder has a lot of interesting commentary from the actors and Robery Downey Jr. does the entire commentary in character as an actor playing his actor character in character.
I remember at some point I could not watch the movie Holes without the cast commentary which was just Shia and his friends loving around and talking about how cool it was to work with John Voight, sigourney weaver, and Tim Blake Nelson

Vintersorg posted:

Oh yeah, the commentary tracks for Family Guy were great as they were cancelled and just shat on Fox. Talked about their testicle chins that were drawn and overall pretty insightful about each episode. Due to the success of that they were brought back - and well, the quality was gone IMO.

The Step Brothers commentary track is probably one of the best I have ever heard though. Most of the track is a musical of them singing about what is happening and what they went through. They invite NBA player Baron Davis near the middle to talk and it goes off from there.
Wasn't the gimmick of the Step Brothers commentary track that it was set 25 years after the movie premiered?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The commentary track for Hot Fuzz is Quentin Tarantino and Edgar Wright talking about literally 190 other films.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Spinal Tap commentary is awesome as a pseudo-sequel, but gotta disagree it's 100x better than the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Conan the Barbarian, despite being amazing, also has a commentary track that is almost 100x better.

It's just two hours of Milius with some fun anecdotes and a lot of cool information about the movie's production constantly being interrupted by Arnold ecstatically rating the rear end of every single woman that appears on screen because as he mentions over and over again he slept with them all repeatedly and is aware of this information. Also John Milius basically ejaculates in his pants any time Sandahl Bergman is on screen because "she's a vaaaalkryie...a VAAALKYRIE!!! If any woman on earth could be a valkyrie..oh uuhh it's her!" Also they both simultaneously notice that they may have filmed a guy loving a llama during one of the urban scenes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

Conan the Barbarian, despite being amazing, also has a commentary track that is almost 100x better.

It's just two hours of Milius with some fun anecdotes and a lot of cool information about the movie's production constantly being interrupted by Arnold ecstatically rating the rear end of every single woman that appears on screen because as he mentions over and over again he slept with them all repeatedly and is aware of this information. Also John Milius basically ejaculates in his pants any time Sandahl Bergman is on screen because "she's a vaaaalkryie...a VAAALKYRIE!!! If any woman on earth could be a valkyrie..oh uuhh it's her!" Also they both simultaneously notice that they may have filmed a guy loving a llama during one of the urban scenes.

That's cheating.

Any Arnold Commentary is amazing and wonderful.

Watch Terminator 3 with the commentary. It's one of the most sublime experiences you could ever have

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Surprised no one has mentioned the cast commentary for The Lord of The Rings trilogy. It's almost better than the movies themselves.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, that transformation has a lot of potential. The visual of Superman pulling his shirt apart to reveal the suit is worth far more than having to ignore the practical realities of, like, how the boots fit inside his shoes. The Raimi Spider-mans have one of those as well, I think.

Watchmen has some transformations (Rorschach putting on his costume, some stuff with Manhattan, maybe Night Owl and Silk Spectre II suiting up?), but neither of Snyder's Superman movies do, I don't think. Superman and Batman just switch between costumes off-screen.

Tony getting out of the armor also makes for some fun visuals, but six animations was more than enough for one post, and he only gets undressed in half the movies.

Just finally watched Man of Steel, and I recall the scene were Zod strips off his spacesuit into his black Superman suit being quite powerful. At that moment, the conflict is down to the two of them and he truly completes his descent to Earth as Clark's dark alter-ego.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hodgepodge posted:

Just finally watched Man of Steel, and I recall the scene were Zod strips off his spacesuit into his black Superman suit being quite powerful. At that moment, the conflict is down to the two of them and he truly completes his descent to Earth as Clark's dark alter-ego.

It's also where he throws his and Kent's upbringings back into Kent's face. "Where did you train, on a farm?" is such a fantastic line.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, that's a great point (and a great scene).

Still, would like this Superman to get to a good enough place that he can do that reveal of the suit under his shirt thing. He's having such a lousy time of it right now.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Which Judd Apatow movie is it (I want to say Superbad) where the commentary contains a story about Seth Rogen auditioning for Band of Brothers near the beginning of his career, and everyone takes the piss out of him?

"Dude, what the gently caress are you doing auditioning for Band of Brothers?!"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Adrianics posted:

Which Judd Apatow movie is it (I want to say Superbad) where the commentary contains a story about Seth Rogen auditioning for Band of Brothers near the beginning of his career, and everyone takes the piss out of him?

"Dude, what the gently caress are you doing auditioning for Band of Brothers?!"

Hey Simon Pegg made it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The only concession Snyder makes to the classic "Superman pops open his shirt" imagery is Kent tugging his tie as he walks out of the party in Batman v Superman.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Pitch Black commentary is just Vin Diesel nerding out over everything and thinking every scene is the best. It's great. :3:

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the resident evil movies are loving amazing

Agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUPaxgIo98

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The video that introduced me to the joy that is Rich Evan's laugh :allears:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Burkion posted:

That's cheating.

Any Arnold Commentary is amazing and wonderful.

Watch Terminator 3 with the commentary. It's one of the most sublime experiences you could ever have

I laughed so much I had to like stop the movie and take a five minute break to laugh at one point during the Total Recall commentary.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He is obviously way loaded in the Total Recall commentary.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Grendels Dad posted:

It's also where he throws his and Kent's upbringings back into Kent's face. "Where did you train, on a farm?" is such a fantastic line.

Zod's whole little speech was a great way to make it clear that Zod and his crew are the Spartans from 300.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
The Series of Unfortunate Events movie's commentary has the author of the books complaining loudly about how bad the movie is, and at one point he starts playing the accordion to drown everything else out. It's pretty great to listen to.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I saw the advance screening of Dr Strange last night. The following is my spoiler-free thoughts on it, hidden behind spoilers in case some of you wanna go in blind:

Great film, possibly my favourite origin film. Basically a magic-themed remake of Iron Man 1, which was my favourite prior to this.

Leans a bit more to the serious side, but still has a lot of "fun" parts. Think of GotG's balance of serious and fun, but with a bit more emphasis on the serious side instead.

Effects are AMAZING and plentiful. If you have the chance to watch this in the cinema, 3D, do it. I don't normally like 3D but it was well worth it here. The fights are well choreographed too, and all the fights are spectacles in some way or other. Whichever studio did the SFX for this deserves all the money they get and more.

Two end credit scenes, one after the initial fancy credits and a second after everything. I think they were shown to the audience in the wrong order because the first was more interesting than the second to me.

Worth it unless you really dislike the Marvel formula. Especially for the visuals, goddamn.

EDIT: I just remembered the film has its own thread so I'll be heading there now, sorry!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 27, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Captain_Person posted:

The Series of Unfortunate Events movie's commentary has the author of the books complaining loudly about how bad the movie is, and at one point he starts playing the accordion to drown everything else out. It's pretty great to listen to.

I have come to love Lemony Snicket through his Hat Saga and The Dark so I might have to seek this out.

edit: drat the Hat Saga was someone else, but The Dark still owns.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 27, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

David Leitch, half of John Wick's directing team, is reportedly a strong frontrunner for Deadpool 2. (The other half, Chad Stahleski, is directing John Wick 2).

http://mashable.com/2016/10/28/deadpool-2-david-leitch-director-john-wick-frontrunner/#ZYc.MrVCB8qW

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That's a pretty good fit. I mean, Reynolds is probably the one driving all the comedic direction anyway. Why not just get a full-tilt action dude?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The degeneracy of (((Hollywood))) Homosexuals is a pretty common belief

I know this is a couple of pages back but could we not bring that triple bracketed anti-Semitic bullshit to this site, please? Even if it's done ironically, it's still doing exactly what those idiot racists want.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

I know this is a couple of pages back but could we not bring that triple bracketed anti-Semitic bullshit to this site, please? Even if it's done ironically, it's still doing exactly what those idiot racists want.

Uh, why do you quote it then? It was already forgotten again.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The MSJ posted:

David Leitch, half of John Wick's directing team, is reportedly a strong frontrunner for Deadpool 2. (The other half, Chad Stahleski, is directing John Wick 2).

http://mashable.com/2016/10/28/deadpool-2-david-leitch-director-john-wick-frontrunner/#ZYc.MrVCB8qW

Hot drat am I on board for that.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Hey Simon Pegg made it.

And Jimmy Fallon

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

sponges posted:

And Jimmy Fallon

Both Professor X (McAvoy) and Magneto (Fassbender) are background characters it in as well. That series is seriously a who's who of huge stars over a decade later.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Doggles posted:

Both Professor X (McAvoy) and Magneto (Fassbender) are background characters it in as well. That series is seriously a who's who of huge stars over a decade later.

I knew about the other two, but you just blew my mind.

Edit: And Tom Hardy and Dominic Cooper?? The hole just keeps getting deeper.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 28, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Dammit I was beaten to it, but yeah David Leitch is a great director and it's a great choice for Deadpool 2.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Slugworth posted:

I knew about the other two, but you just blew my mind.

Edit: And Tom Hardy and Dominic Cooper?? The hole just keeps getting deeper.

Everyone is in Band of Brothers.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Doggles posted:

I feel that Black Hawk Down has a similar thing going on. Every time I've re-watched it there were actors I suddenly recognized from later movies/series (for example Nikolaj Coster-Waldau AKA Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones). You almost feel sorry for the ones that still haven't had a breakthrough role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

Dammit I was beaten to it, but yeah David Leitch is a great director and it's a great choice for Deadpool 2.

And it apparently means that Cable isn't gonna be played by the Early Edition guy. I'm not one usually to criticize casting choices because they don't fit my image of the character or I don't think the actor has the range or whatever. But I'm fine with that dude not being Cable.

• Locked thread