Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lemmiwinks posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for refurbished/cheaper/reliable 80 inch TV?

80 inches? Do you need it to be really bright, or could a projector + screen be the way to go? That's starting to approach the size range where you need to at least consider projectors. Good 120" screens are ~$200 now, look at Silver Ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My ancient 32" Polaroid LED hdtv ate it during the hurricane. I want an inexpensive replacement and the TCL 32" smart tv looks like a win. Comments or suggestions before I click buy on this thing?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

wormil posted:

My ancient 32" Polaroid LED hdtv ate it during the hurricane. I want an inexpensive replacement and the TCL 32" smart tv looks like a win. Comments or suggestions before I click buy on this thing?

32" TV's might have been the norm 15 years ago, in 2016 I would not consider anything less than 40", I doubt there is much price diffence between a 32"(niche) size and a popular 40" poo poo TV.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

wormil posted:

Go ahead and buy it, it's utterly unremarkable in every aspect but at 32" I doubt you care

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

lemmiwinks posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for refurbished/cheaper/reliable 80 inch TV?

Top of the line 70+" displays have enough problems with uniformity and backlight bleed as it is. At that size id get a projector.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

snuff posted:

32" TV's might have been the norm 15 years ago, in 2016 I would not consider anything less than 40", I doubt there is much price diffence between a 32"(niche) size and a popular 40" poo poo TV.

A 40" is way too big for the space. It's not my main tv, just for my office. The Polaroid was old but had a great picture.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wormil posted:

The Polaroid was old but had a great picture.

Uh then that TCL will blow you away.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Need some viewing angle/size advice. Trying to decide between the 50" and 55" versions of this TV: https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B01CJS8J3K/

I'd estimate the viewing distance to be 60" when sitting in front of the couch, 72-78" when on couch (don't actually have couch yet so these are rough numbers). My gut wants to go with the 55, I like the screen feeling big, but I worry I'll get it and be like "whoa this is actually uncomfortably large" and regret it. At work I have a 29" viewing distance to a 24" monitor that feels fine, but not sure if that ratio would translate to a TV.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cicero posted:

but I worry I'll get it and be like "whoa this is actually uncomfortably large" and regret it.

This will not happen.

Get the 55".

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cicero posted:

Need some viewing angle/size advice. Trying to decide between the 50" and 55" versions of this TV: https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B01CJS8J3K/

I'd estimate the viewing distance to be 60" when sitting in front of the couch, 72-78" when on couch (don't actually have couch yet so these are rough numbers). My gut wants to go with the 55, I like the screen feeling big, but I worry I'll get it and be like "whoa this is actually uncomfortably large" and regret it. At work I have a 29" viewing distance to a 24" monitor that feels fine, but not sure if that ratio would translate to a TV.

I'm closer than that to a 65" and have never thought "whoa this is too close".

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Alright you guys convinced me. 55 it is!

lemmiwinks
Apr 28, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

80 inches? Do you need it to be really bright, or could a projector + screen be the way to go? That's starting to approach the size range where you need to at least consider projectors. Good 120" screens are ~$200 now, look at Silver Ticket.

Projectors terrible in daylight no?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

lemmiwinks posted:

Projectors terrible in daylight no?

Depends if by daylight you mean outdoors in direct sunlight, or just in a room with open windows. A really high gain screen plus a bright projector can get pretty drat bright, especially at under 100".

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The black screens look pretty awesome as well.

lemmiwinks
Apr 28, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Depends if by daylight you mean outdoors in direct sunlight, or just in a room with open windows. A really high gain screen plus a bright projector can get pretty drat bright, especially at under 100".

This is interesting I never really thought about projectors before. Yeah I meant just in doors but with open windows and indirect or direct sunlight coming in. What would you consider to be the minimum distance to sit from a projector? I'm about 12 feet from my 60 inch TV now and think it is just a little too small for maximum viewing pleasure. I also like to PS4 sometimes and I worry that a projector bulb cost would be a costly replacement. Are they more durable or inexpensive these days?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I thought it would be cool to mount HDMI, Ethernet, and power behind a wall. I used two double gang boxes, one behind the TV and one behind my "TV stand" that separates power and low power. I used HDMI keystones on each side and used decent HDMI cables between. I tried hooking my new Roku Ultra and enabling 4K HDR it flakes out and starts flashing black screens and colored snow intermixed with actual content. I try with the same cable from the Roku to the wall but instead into the TV directly and it works fine.

Has anyone done this to much success or should I get the brush looking outlets and run 20ft HDMI directly from the TV to the source device?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Everything ive read about hdmi keystones is they are total shite. Maybe if you buy some uber expensive ones.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Boner Wad posted:

I thought it would be cool to mount HDMI, Ethernet, and power behind a wall. I used two double gang boxes, one behind the TV and one behind my "TV stand" that separates power and low power. I used HDMI keystones on each side and used decent HDMI cables between. I tried hooking my new Roku Ultra and enabling 4K HDR it flakes out and starts flashing black screens and colored snow intermixed with actual content. I try with the same cable from the Roku to the wall but instead into the TV directly and it works fine.

Has anyone done this to much success or should I get the brush looking outlets and run 20ft HDMI directly from the TV to the source device?

I did the latter, although with my setup I just needed 6ft cables. But that way I was able to run HDMI, optical, USB, RCA, and speaker wires, you name it. I didn't even use the brush plates, just regular cheapo plates like you'd use for GFCI outlets screwed into a couple of drywall anchors. If it's hidden behind equipment anyway the brushes don't really do anything except cost you an extra like $5 per plate.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Boner Wad posted:

4K is very picky about hdmi bandwidth. In reading UHD player threads I've seen a lot of people saying they had to change cables to get correct performance. I can only imagine using keystones makes it a million times worse.

Zodiac
May 20, 2002
I am looking at buying a 55" 4k 120hz display for movies and general home use. I don't plan on gaming on it but (knowing myself) probably will hook up a console at some point. Many of the movies I like have a great deal of shadow and dark areas (SciFi stuff like Bladerunner).

What is the main difference between the Samsung UN55KS8000 and Sony XBR55X850D? The Sony is much cheaper- is there a major difference I am missing between these two? The specs look similar.

$1000 is my goal here, but I'll go higher if it's worth it. Is there another option I am missing?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Quoth rtings:

"For most people, the Samsung KS8000 is a better choice. It is superior for watching movies in the dark as well as with HDR content. It also performs well in most living room since it can get bright enough to counter most of the screen reflections. The X850D maintains a better picture quality when viewed from the side and is slightly better for sports."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If ~$1000 is your goal and movies with dark scenes are important. spend the extra $200 and get a 55" 1080p oled display.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
There's also the which OS is less bad / has better apps question? And in that case, the Sony (I've got the Sony 850D's European version) was the better choice for me. It has an official Twitch app and the voice search is quite handy for YouTube and such.

Smol fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 21, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

If ~$1000 is your goal and movies with dark scenes are important. spend the extra $200 and get a 55" 1080p oled display.

This. 100% this.

I prefer Sony's motion handling so it makes it a better choice almost every time against a comparison Samsung. But I couldn't settle for either

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

What model in that range? I have a cousin who is looking for an oled that fits that size and price.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dogen posted:

What model in that range? I have a cousin who is looking for an oled that fits that size and price.

Shows up on ebay every couple of weeks

http://slickdeals.net/f/9163535-lg-55-oled-55eg9100-1080p-smart-curved-3d-tv-1169-adorama-via-ebay?src=SiteSearch

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm looking at a (I guess?) more budget oriented 55" 4k, to compliment the ps4 pro I'll eventually get. I have enjoyed my Vizio 1080p TV that I got on advice here, so I suppose I'd like to stick to them if they are still reputable? How about hdr10 support? Out of the "budget" price range I assume...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

budget 4k is vizio don't play any further mental gymnastics imo

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

sellouts posted:

budget 4k is vizio don't play any further mental gymnastics imo

That's OK with me. Reading some reviews of some recent models, it's sounds like a lot of them are getting hdr10 added with updates so that's good too. Thanks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I just unplugged one HDMI cable so I could plug in another, and had trouble getting it plugged in. Then I found I couldn't plug the first cable back in:

WTF https://imgur.com/gallery/igpQo

Think this is fixable by an end user, or will this need a trained tech?

Also, open to suggestions on a cheap, simple but good receiver or HDMI splitter or switcher.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bitstream pass through and Dolby Atmos support supposed to be part of the spring update for Xbox. That might make it a better option for UHD bluray , especially for sales over the holiday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As long as it, you know, plays discs which is apparently still a bit spotty.

To little to late for me though, had they had bitstream or at least committed to a timeline earlier, I probably would have bought one instead of the Phillips. Now though, I doubt I'll ever buy an xbone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

As long as it, you know, plays discs which is apparently still a bit spotty.

Ha, just made essentially the same comment in the Xbox thread. It's easily the least reliable player I've ever owned. I've not even put 10 discs through it and one UHD (The Revenant) goes absolutely nowhere, and one Blu-Ray (Atroz) crashes every time I choose a menu option. I wasn't sure if it had actual DVD playback because it took 2 or 3 attempts to get the one disc I tried playing.

I don't even think I've got a dud unit or anything, it's just really crap software.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, just made essentially the same comment in the Xbox thread. It's easily the least reliable player I've ever owned. I've not even put 10 discs through it and one UHD (The Revenant) goes absolutely nowhere, and one Blu-Ray (Atroz) crashes every time I choose a menu option. I wasn't sure if it had actual DVD playback because it took 2 or 3 attempts to get the one disc I tried playing.

I don't even think I've got a dud unit or anything, it's just really crap software.

My regular Xbox one release model plays DVDs and (regular) Blu Rays with 100% success... I wonder if it's drive differences because I don't think it's software...

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a thread for universal remotes?

Using an HDMI switch, I've got my "workflow" down to: Turning on TV, using HDMI switch remote to change inputs, using my DirecTV remote to control volume. The volume rocker the the DirecTV remote is surprisingly useful. I'd like to get one remote that can do all of these things. Basically, I need a remote that can: 1) Turn my TV on and off, 2) control my sound bar volume, 3) switch HDMI inputs, and 4) control my DirecTV receiver. Optionally, AppleTV control would be nice too. Am I somewhere in Logitech Harmony territory? I ask because the last time I used a tricked out programmable remote was Sony's "Remote Commander" over a decade ago and it was worse than useless. Has the tech gotten better since then?

E: I should add that one thing I already tried was programming DirecTV, Xbox, etc. to automatically control my TV; however, I found that it tended to exhibit the exact opposite behavior of what I expected. I'd rather explicitly push buttons rather than rely on some magic sequence or faux-intelligence.

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 27, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's what I do.

Harmony smart hub. Simple remote, no screen, took 5 minutes to setup. Couldn't be easier. Works every time. Wife approved. 65 year old parent approved.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Harmony has Echo support now too. I walk into my house and say "Echo, turn on TiVo" and it launches my TiVo activity. The future is now.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
One more vote for the Harmony smart hub. The single small remote on the coffee table is awesome, plus it's controllable from a smartphone (good for more in depth control not accessible from the little remote) or tablet, and as mentioned, Echo now. I haven't touched the original remotes for everything in like 2 years.

The only issue I have with it is if I accidentally hit the off button on the remote when everything is already off, it'll turn random devices on, which I have to turn off manually before continuing. Really minor thing, caused by my own screw up, but annoying when it happens.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Based on new Alexa support and your guy recommendations I ordered the Harmony hub and it should be here tomorrow. Pretty excited to walk in the house and tall Alexa to turn my TV on. Not so excited to have my daughter come in the room and tell Alexa to put Disney Junior on in the middle of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I ripped out my nice looking 4xHDMI plate behind my TV since it was not letting 4K HDR stuff come through. I bought those hair plates and ran four Amazon Basics 25ft cables from the back of the TV to the devices on the shelves in front.

I had to use HDMI 90/270 degree benders so the cables wouldn't stick out side of the tv. Since the HDMI cables are super thick I had to pull the TV away from the wall about five inches.

I'd rather not do either, any other suggestions for cabling? I've seen smaller cable thickness with less of a head but I don't know how the quality is.

Also, I have my three devices going through my sound bar instead of going directly into the TV. I did this to get HD audio. Is this a silly idea?

For reference I have an LG 65" E6P and a Sony HT-CT790 that will do 4K.