Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

I demand a stand alone movie about the awkward high school years of that one mutant who made people puke their guts out.

It sounds like you're describing Deadpool: The Rise of Taj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Forget Ray Park.

Fry Cook Toad is where it's at.

I just wanna know how Toad ended up in the Hue City PX during Vietnam. Did they just get excited that they found a mutant, then shuffle him off to some poo poo job when they realized his mutant power was pretty much useless?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I loved the story and from everything I've read from reviewers (who know the story) all definitely say it stays as true as it could and adds a bit of urgency but it's nowhere NEAR what the trailers make it out to be.

Most of them say it definitely keeps the sentimentality from the original story. Those trailers are horribly edited... especially that last one.

All the Arrival trailers use the same scenes, just cut differently. Makes me wonder if they are the only "action" scenes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

gmq posted:

All the Arrival trailers use the same scenes, just cut differently. Makes me wonder if they are the only "action" scenes.

They are from the Verge review I read a while back ( I think it was The Verge).

At first I got mad at the trailers all basically using the same footage until I realized the same thing you did... they just didn't want to show more.

If it carries over the high concept from the book (and all indications say it for the most part does) then I can totally understand. You'd be hard pressed to try to convey that conceit in a trailer.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Man Down trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-910So8UWM

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That looks like poo poo

Also terrible trailer music

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thats the worst trailer Ive ever seen.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Split trailer 2.

Can M Night salvage his career?

Not that he ever stopped working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpGKumxiGg

Ed Norton watching this, furious someone stole his career.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You answered your own question. M. Night owns.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

After Earth, The Last Airbender and The Happening somehow made money so even though it goes against every fiber of my being I have to agree.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And the guy's a producer. At some point you have to admit he's good at what he does.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

And the guy's a producer. At some point you have to admit he's good at what he does.

I didn't see anything after Signs and before The Visit, so pretty much the whole period where he was a a punchline. If I'm gonna watch one of those, which should it be?

EDIT: Whoops, that post did not make any sense until I edited it

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 26, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

I don't even think the movie will be bad but what a loving terrible trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Happening.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Split trailer 2.

Can M Night salvage his career?

Not that he ever stopped working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpGKumxiGg

Ed Norton watching this, furious someone stole his career.

Put some upbeat music under this and it looks like a comedy Adam Sandler passed on.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

...is a work of comedic genius, intentional or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhmEo-46vUQ

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It's completely intentional, I dunno how the Internet to this day still doesn't realize that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GorgonSmithe posted:

It's completely intentional, I dunno how the Internet to this day still doesn't realize that.

Because sarcasm, snark and irony are the only forms of humor. Anything idiosyncratic is unintentional or trying too hard or whatever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Let's run... FROM THE WIND!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Because sarcasm, snark and irony are the only forms of humor. Anything idiosyncratic is unintentional or trying too hard or whatever.

Pretty sure Americans don't understand irony AT ALL.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Apparently you've never met hipsters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Pretty sure Americans don't understand irony AT ALL.

We have reinterpreted it to suit our needs!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

GorgonSmithe posted:

That movie is not intentionally a comedy at all and 90% of the comedy comes from that fact

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GorgonSmithe posted:

Up until The Visit, I didn't know M. Night knew how to do comedy besides weird deadpan poo poo. So I think it was safe to assume it wasn't a comedy. The Visit makes me rethink that though. That movie was funny as hell.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Did this get posted? It's got giant killer robots and it's in the future.

Kill Command

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2lDMvxeFQ4

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
M Night directed my favorite comedy, Wide Awake

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

CelticPredator posted:

Up until The Visit, I didn't know M. Night knew how to do comedy besides weird deadpan poo poo. So I think it was safe to assume it wasn't a comedy. The Visit makes me rethink that though. That movie was funny as hell.

I thought Signs had some legitimately funny moments (like when Mel's brother says something to the son like "These alien conspiracies are just rumors made up by fat nerds that can't get girlfriends," they continue the conversation about the aliens, but the daughter just says in a very concerned/sad voice "Why can't they get girlfriends?").

The Visit was strange, there was one group of people when I saw it in the theater that kept laughing at every little thing, the laughing spread to others, and it got to the point where I couldn't tell what was and wasn't supposed to be intentionally funny. Still enjoyed it, it was just a weird movie + experience.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

GorgonSmithe posted:

It's probably not an accident that Wahlberg's post-Happening comedy roles grew exponentially.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

The Visit is that found footage-y movie about crazy grandparents, right? I was intrigued by the trailer and then heard nothing about it. Is it legit worth a watch? Much as I might gripe, I like a lot of Shyamalan's fare. Devil was okay.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

davidspackage posted:

The Visit is that found footage-y movie about crazy grandparents, right? I was intrigued by the trailer and then heard nothing about it. Is it legit worth a watch? Much as I might gripe, I like a lot of Shyamalan's fare. Devil was okay.

The Visit is really good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, The Visit is a treat. It gives me hope for Split.

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun

Unpopular opinion: I love this trailer to death and i think everything Shia touches turns to gold.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I've only seen the clip where the deranged old woman is insisting that Wahlberg is going to try and kill her in his sleep, and his line readings as he denies the accusations are indistinguishable from his character in Pain & Gain reassuring the Rock that nobody's going to get hurt

davidspackage posted:

It's very very good

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The big tipoff that The Happening is a comedy is that John Leguizamo plays the only level-headed, calm and sensible character in the film.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I liked The Village, Devil, and The Visit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I liked The Village, Devil, and The Visit.

Unbreakable will always have a place in my heart.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I recall Split getting positive reviews from festival screenings.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I haven't seen the Village since the theater, but I remember digging the New England in the fall setting, and it had a sweet love story. Also, the score was great.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The big tipoff that The Happening is a comedy is that John Leguizamo plays the only level-headed, calm and sensible character in the film.

Like John Wick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
John Wick for sure is a comedy.

• Locked thread