Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is the date listed next to my Pixel order the estimated arrival date or the ship date? It's so loving far from now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
So what are the practical downsides to buying a Pixel through Verizon? I only vaguely understand the whole locked bootloader thing. Could it hurt resale down the road? Would I potentially wish I had it in 2+ years when the phone stops getting updates? Can it freely be used on other carriers later?

Also, does Verizon (or Google for that matter) historically do Black Friday or holiday sales on things like new flagship phones?

My Note 3 feels like more of a sluggish brick each day. My ability to resist the new phone allure is crumbling.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MMD3 posted:

Cool but also annoying as gently caress because there's currently no way to control what part of the video it creates a gif from. I've had several where it used a few seconds immediately before or after the action I would actually want a gif of.

Think of it like this...you're getting GIF's you didnt get before. If it doesn't make a GIF of the video part you wanted, you're in exactly the same position you were in before Google introduced the feature.

That being said, I imagine they'll eventually let you pick what you want.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Desk Lamp posted:

But whatever skin Google's phones run is now de facto vanilla Android.
This is wrong, and the reason it's wrong is the same reason the Pixel is better than any Nexus devices before it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

NihilCredo posted:

Warning: super persnickety post.

On Marshmallow, if you pull down the notification bar but there aren't any actual notifications, it will redundantly show you the empty notification list and then you must pull down again to get to the quick settings.

I'd like it instead to immediately show me the quick settings page at the first pull down if there are no notifications. Can I do this through a setting, a non-root app, and/or by upgrading to Nougat?

Pull down with 2 fingers

Obviously not easy with one hand

Or double tap the notification area I think? ( this is gone in nougat so cant check)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looking at the Pixel as just a skin isn't right anyways. There's are bunch of under the hood changes.

The big thing to remember that Nexus phones ran AOSP with a few proprietary binaries in the form of Google apps and driver packages.

Pixels run Android that's fully customized and optimized for the hardware. Crypto is a good example. Nexus devices accelerated crypto using ARMv8 extensions. It was a software solution, but it was device agnostic. Any devices that had SoC that supported ARMv8 could use it. The Nexus team specifically did not want to make optimizations based on a specific and proprietary hardware target.

Not true for the Pixel. It's using the 821's native hardware crypto engine. They optimized the software with a specific hardware target in mind. The image won't run on just any ARMv8 device, it will only run on a Qualcomm Snapdragon 821. You'll find the same sort of design methodology in every component of the device (touch interface immediately comes to mind with the level of tuning they did.). This is a very significant shift in design strategy compared to Nexus.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

Looking at the Pixel as just a skin isn't right anyways. There's are bunch of under the hood changes.

The big thing to remember that Nexus phones ran AOSP with a few proprietary binaries in the form of Google apps and driver packages.

Pixels run Android that's fully customized and optimized for the hardware. Crypto is a good example. Nexus devices accelerated crypto using ARMv8 extensions. It was a software solution, but it was device agnostic. Any devices that had SoC that supported ARMv8 could use it. The Nexus team specifically did not want to make optimizations based on a specific and proprietary hardware target.

Not true for the Pixel. It's using the 821's native hardware crypto engine. They optimized the software with a specific hardware target in mind. The image won't run on just any ARMv8 device, it will only run on a Qualcomm Snapdragon 821. You'll find the same sort of design methodology in every component of the device (touch interface immediately comes to mind with the level of tuning they did.). This is a very significant shift in design strategy compared to Nexus.

I was just going to post this. Another example is they used the hexagon DSP on the SoC to accelerate several of the camera functions. This is something that they never would have done on the Nexus series.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Skarsnik posted:

Pull down with 2 fingers

Obviously not easy with one hand

Or double tap the notification area I think? ( this is gone in nougat so cant check)

The second one doesn't seem to work, but the first one does. Thanks!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Stan Taylor posted:

Is the date listed next to my Pixel order the estimated arrival date or the ship date? It's so loving far from now...

Pretty sure it's estimated delivery date. I ordered mine through Project Fi on 10/14, my order page said 10/27-10/31, and it's being delivered today.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I watched 2 hours of Netflix on battery and my phone didn't auto shutdown. Was after a full day usage too! I think my total screen on time was 5 hours yesterday before I plugged in

Couldn't do that on my s6 edge.

#pixelthings

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Ordered my Pixel through Fi on Sunday and chose 1 day shipping (my N5X randomly stopped working and I need my phone for work). I'm on the T-Mob nerd plan and have been considering switching for a while to Fi; have yet to activate & port though.

First impressions:
-Phone is physically heavier and feels more well-built than the 5X
-Bezels are probably a bit too large, but not as bad as it looks in the pictures
-Metal is slippery, but ironically the glass part of the back does not feel slippery -- if you think about it this makes sense
-Screen is, I guess, very slightly smaller, but doesn't seem especially different
-Screen quality seems slightly better, though not a giant leap in quality
-Phone is definitely faster and more responsive, though again not a giant leap
-Camera definitely opens slightly faster and is faster to take a pic; quality is hard to tell now as I've only taken one picture
-Phone comes with charger, C to C cable, A to C cable, and even a A to C adapter; the 5X not coming with an A to C was a minor complaint, so this is an improvement
-Setup is easy, it migrated my contacts, photos, and apps

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

nocal posted:

-Phone comes with charger, C to C cable, A to C cable, and even a A to C adapter;

Oh wow, that's pretty sweet. Maybe I won't have to buy any extra cables after all!

Actually about that, I have a pair of Anker fast chargers, is there any way I can make sure they're not gonna zap the phone or anything?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 26, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If used with a properly constructed A to C cable, they should the phone shouldn't ask for any more than (I think) 1.5a so it should be fine

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

bull3964 posted:

If used with a properly constructed A to C cable, they should the phone shouldn't ask for any more than (I think) 1.5a so it should be fine

I think anything up to 2.4A on USB A (to C) is fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ragingsheep posted:

I think anything up to 2.4A on USB A (to C) is fine.

But I think a correctly constructed USB cable will limit the negotiation to USB BC 1.2 which has a max limit of 1.5a. Not really sure though.

It might be able to negotiate higher rates though after it's connected.

Anyways, the key is the cable for safety (as long as the charger itself is within spec.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 27, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't the big thing that one resistor you need in the cable? Some cables skimped on it to get faster charge rates, and that will fry devices using USBC PD.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

bull3964 posted:

But I think a correctly constructed USB cable will limit the negotiation to USB BC 1.2 which has a max limit of 1.5a. Not really sure though.

It might be able to negotiate higher rates though after it's connected.

Anyways, the key is the cable for safety (as long as the charger itself is within spec.)

If you follow this review by Benson, then 2.4A is the max.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1AF6ZHBZRQFHV/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B018HUOOOC#R1AF6ZHBZRQFHV

It seems to be that if you have good cables and an in spec charger, you should be fine. Still this is confusing as poo poo for me - god help some ordinary consumer who has no idea about this and just wants to buy a spare cable/charger.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
edit: Found a work-around

Shoren fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 27, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Desk Lamp posted:

But whatever skin Google's phones run is now de facto vanilla Android, and while the goals may differ from the Nexus program's in that they're at least trying to sell these, beyond the marketing talking points it's still Google partnering with an OEM to make a device to a particular spec. Like I said, the biggest difference is those specs are now high enough to stand next to an iPhone or a Galaxy and the marketing (including the price) reflects that. Anyone who tells you that the real difference is "this time the phone is made by Google" is just regurgitating marketing materials at you.

If I were to guess this is probably what Ron is being a stick in the mud about.

bull3964 posted:

This isn't actually the first time HTC was an ODM for another company, they've made Sony phones before.

I remember back when Windows Mobile was somehow big, HTC was basically the ODM to everyone then. They're probably not happy back in that seat but if it pays the bills…

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It came early. Smoothest setup I've seen outside an iPhone. Biggest pain was setting up my 7 different two-factor tokens.

This thing is incredible and worth every penny.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

RZA Encryption posted:

Biggest pain was setting up my 7 different two-factor tokens.

You should get Authenticator Plus. Doesn't help for people using their special snowflake 2FA if that's your issue, but works for most of the ones I use.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

It came early. Smoothest setup I've seen outside an iPhone. Biggest pain was setting up my 7 different two-factor tokens.

This thing is incredible and worth every penny.

Fuuuuuck come on Rogers/Google/HTC

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DemonMage posted:

You should get Authenticator Plus. Doesn't help for people using their special snowflake 2FA if that's your issue, but works for most of the ones I use.

Thanks, I'm just a little weary of syncing my 2fa tokens. It's a "once every other year" pain, so I'll just suck it up.

Screen is gorgeous. No complaints about "downgrading" from my Nexus 6's 1440p.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's not cloud based syncing unless you want it to be. Your database could be on a USB drive in a bunker if you want. Obviously backing it up to your Drive is easier and has little (but non-zero) chance of being compromised, but depending on how important your 2FA are you can go for a theoretically more secure choice if you need.

It's also nice since you can have it on your tablet and phone simultaneously, which a lot of 2FA apps don't allow. Which they've got good reasons for to some degree, but again choice of more convenience vs more security.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ragingsheep posted:

If you follow this review by Benson, then 2.4A is the max.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1AF6ZHBZRQFHV/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B018HUOOOC#R1AF6ZHBZRQFHV

It seems to be that if you have good cables and an in spec charger, you should be fine. Still this is confusing as poo poo for me - god help some ordinary consumer who has no idea about this and just wants to buy a spare cable/charger.

So, it depends on the charger too.

I have quite a few chargers at my disposal so I did some playing around. My Pixel was a 60% battery so it probably wasn't willing to pull max current, but I did see differences.

First, I tried an Anker QC 3.0 (without IQ) power adapter with compliant A-C cable. Idle load on the phone was around 150mAh. When I put it on charge, it settled in at 1400mAh charge rate. So, even though the thing could do 5v/3A and 9V/2A, it limited itself to default BC 1.2 spec. That's correct behavior if the charger only understands Quick Charge signaling. Essentially, the phone lacked the language tell it to charge faster.

Then I moved on to my Anker 5 port charger with USBC. It has Anker's "IQ" on the A ports which should allow up to 2.4A. Using the same A-C cabled I hooked up to one of those ports. The phone settled in at around 1960mAh. So, faster than the QC 3.0 charger without IQ and probably pretty close to 2.4A total once you factor in the power use of the phone and inaccuracies in measure.

I then plugged it into the C port which can charge the phone at either 5v3A or 9v2A. It now displayed about 2600mAh charging rate. You can't really tell within Ampere if it's using 5V or 9V since it's measuring the power at the battery and not the USB port. Plugging into other USB C chargers gave me around the same rate.

Again, I was about 60% battery, so it's possible the phone would draw more from all types of chargers if the battery state was lower.

So, if you have a correct cable and a 2.4A SIGNALING capable charger, you can probably get close to 2.4A depending on the state of battery. However, if your charger only understands proprietary charging formats (like my QC 3.0 only charger), you'll drop down to the default BC 1.2 rate of 1.5A. That's still probably enough to keep up with the phone using GPS, but you probably won't put much charge on top of it.

Other random tests:

Older Anker QC 2.0 charger actually hits a little under 2A. So, it fairs better than the QC 3.0 charger. It doesn't say "IQ" or anything like that, but it's clear it has signaling to deliver its full 5v2a rate on non QC devices.

Motorola TurboCharger that comes with the MXP (through the use of a microA to C adapter since the cable is captive.) Hits over 2000mAh so that tracks with its marking of "Standard output 5v/2.85A."

Jackery Mini Premium battery pack. This one is interesting. Stated output is 5V/1A on both the product page and printed on the device. However, it delivers a full 2A output. So, I'm not sure what to think of that. I see something similar on a larger Jackery pack I have with two outputs. One is labeled 1A and the other 2.1A. However, I get the same charge rate off of both (about 2000mAh.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 27, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Can I make those cat gifs with a non-Nexus/Pixel? The only Google camera app I see in the store is Cardboard Camera.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Syrinxx posted:

Can I make those cat gifs with a non-Nexus/Pixel? The only Google camera app I see in the store is Cardboard Camera.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.GoogleCamera

It may not support burst mode on your phone but if you take lots of pictures together and you have Google Photos it'll make a GIF for you once it uploads

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Syrinxx posted:

You can do it without a phone if you just use google photos.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

I think the big difference is that burst mode is only on some phones with faster processors, and the auto-gif thing is only on some of those, if not only the pixel. I can't imagine there isn't an app out there that would do it though.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thanks all, I didn't realize it was a Google Photos post-processing thing if you have a burst capable phone. The OP3 seems good at doing this with the stock camera so it's time to make some lovely cat gifs

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

It's also nice since you can have it on your tablet and phone simultaneously, which a lot of 2FA apps don't allow. Which they've got good reasons for to some degree, but again choice of more convenience vs more security.

There's no reason you couldn't scan the QR code used during setup onto an infinite number of devices.

The nicest thing about Authenticator Plus is the Wear component. Makes using 2FA tokens so much better.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh wow, the calendar icon shows today's date instead of it constantly being the 31st.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

So, it depends on the charger too.

I have quite a few chargers at my disposal so I did some playing around. My Pixel was a 60% battery so it probably wasn't willing to pull max current, but I did see differences.

First, I tried an Anker QC 3.0 (without IQ) power adapter with compliant A-C cable. Idle load on the phone was around 150mAh. When I put it on charge, it settled in at 1400mAh charge rate. So, even though the thing could do 5v/3A and 9V/2A, it limited itself to default BC 1.2 spec. That's correct behavior if the charger only understands Quick Charge signaling. Essentially, the phone lacked the language tell it to charge faster.

Then I moved on to my Anker 5 port charger with USBC. It has Anker's "IQ" on the A ports which should allow up to 2.4A. Using the same A-C cabled I hooked up to one of those ports. The phone settled in at around 1960mAh. So, faster than the QC 3.0 charger without IQ and probably pretty close to 2.4A total once you factor in the power use of the phone and inaccuracies in measure.

I then plugged it into the C port which can charge the phone at either 5v3A or 9v2A. It now displayed about 2600mAh charging rate. You can't really tell within Ampere if it's using 5V or 9V since it's measuring the power at the battery and not the USB port. Plugging into other USB C chargers gave me around the same rate.

Again, I was about 60% battery, so it's possible the phone would draw more from all types of chargers if the battery state was lower.

So, if you have a correct cable and a 2.4A SIGNALING capable charger, you can probably get close to 2.4A depending on the state of battery. However, if your charger only understands proprietary charging formats (like my QC 3.0 only charger), you'll drop down to the default BC 1.2 rate of 1.5A. That's still probably enough to keep up with the phone using GPS, but you probably won't put much charge on top of it.

Other random tests:

Older Anker QC 2.0 charger actually hits a little under 2A. So, it fairs better than the QC 3.0 charger. It doesn't say "IQ" or anything like that, but it's clear it has signaling to deliver its full 5v2a rate on non QC devices.

Motorola TurboCharger that comes with the MXP (through the use of a microA to C adapter since the cable is captive.) Hits over 2000mAh so that tracks with its marking of "Standard output 5v/2.85A."

Jackery Mini Premium battery pack. This one is interesting. Stated output is 5V/1A on both the product page and printed on the device. However, it delivers a full 2A output. So, I'm not sure what to think of that. I see something similar on a larger Jackery pack I have with two outputs. One is labeled 1A and the other 2.1A. However, I get the same charge rate off of both (about 2000mAh.)

All of this makes me not want a phone with USB-C. Jesus gently caress... it's really that bad?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

All of this makes me not want a phone with USB-C. Jesus gently caress... it's really that bad?

FWIW I've literally never had a problem with USB-C on multiple USB-C phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Honestly, it was that bad with microUSB charging too. It was a complete crap shoot as to whether or not any random charger would charge YOUR device at either its max rate or the charger's max rate.

I've plugged my MXP into a random 2.4a normal charger and it barely drew more than 1a.

poo poo is actually easier with C. Use a C charger, get at least 5v/3a. Any random A charger, you should get at least 1.5a (as long as the charger is rated for it.)

Now, getting SAFE chargers seem a bit harder right now, though I wonder how many A chargers would stand up under scrutiny too.

You want to get a good C charger? Just get the Google one or Verizon's. Yeah, they are $25-$30 but they work and work well and are in spec. How many additional chargers do you need anyways? These should last for years and years and they won't hurt your $700 phone.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Pixel XL arrived yesterday. Extremely happy with the phone so far, my only complaint is the lack of any permanent always-on display. I don't think it has the Nexus 6P thing where it would turn on the display when you looked at the phone, either. Coming from an LG G5, I miss the knock-knock feature but it's not a dealbreaker in any way.

Minor complaints like that aside, the phone is amazing. Super quick, and the camera is really nice. Battery seems really good, but most phones do in the first couple of weeks, so we'll see how long that lasts.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Double knock is supposed to be coming in an update. Would like to see some permanent always on display for notifications as well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh wow, the calendar icon shows today's date instead of it constantly being the 31st.
Android could put 7 clocks on the screen in 2009 but hasn't been able to update a date icon?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ragingsheep posted:

Double knock is supposed to be coming in an update. Would like to see some permanent always on display for notifications as well.

Source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Android could put 7 clocks on the screen in 2009 but hasn't been able to update a date icon?

It's worked on third party launchers for nearly a year at this point but Google didn't put it into the Nexus Pixel Launcher until now. The thing is that Calendar itself has had the graphical assets in the package all this time, so it was just typical Google poo poo where one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.