Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
GOTM is either Yakuza 2 or Fire Emblem: Awakening which I started playing again because of all the trips this month and now I'm playing it again?

I'm just about at the point where I have to start throttling back how many bad guys I feed Donny or nobody else will get any experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

My game of the month is definitely bloodborne because of how proud of braving the spiders and getting the plat I am

Sony sent me an email about how huge my balls are and everything

It's funny because it's one of the most common plats on PSN that I've seen, it's approaching 10% of owners

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
My game of the month is, surprisingly, Paper Mario Color Splash. Running around filling in colorless spots and solving problems for toads is far more fun than I thought it could be, and the writing is genuinely funny at times. The battles might not be as fun as they are in the Mario and Luigi games, but they've been really fun since I started messing around with the different types of cards instead of just spamming generic jumps and hammers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think mine was Pac Man CE2. Was that October? I'd have to double check what came out.

Edit: Rez Infinite!!!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

It's funny because it's one of the most common plats on PSN that I've seen, it's approaching 10% of owners

All of the Souls games are like that for some reason, it's weird. It's not like they're super easy plats or anything. I guess people that wouldn't usually care about trophies go out of their way to get them since the games have that whole reputation for being difficult

But the Souls trophies are kind of disappointing because they just seem more grindy than challenging. A no deaths trophy or something would be neat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess no bonfire runs are impossible because you have to get to Lothric somehow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

All of the Souls games are like that for some reason, it's weird. It's not like they're super easy plats or anything. I guess people that wouldn't usually care about trophies go out of their way to get them since the games have that whole reputation for being difficult

But the Souls trophies are kind of disappointing because they just seem more grindy than challenging. A no deaths trophy or something would be neat

They're actually pretty easy compared to any game with multiplayer achievements or that require you to play hard modes or speedruns. You can out level most difficulty in souls (or better yet, summon) and just look up a guide and collect everything.

Also DSII has in-game achievements for beating the game without dying and one for beating it without lighting a bonfire which is a neat idea.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only super grindy souls Plat is demons because of all the +15 weapons (I did not do the demons plat)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My game of the month was set to be Atlas Reactor but in a surprise twist Battlefield 1 is totally amaze balls right out the launch gate so it might have stolen the award.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
GotM for me is definitely Thumper.

Though if we're just talking about games we played this month it's Odin Sphere.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
GotM for me is a tossup between Shadow Warrior 2 and Battlefield 1, both games that I didn't think I'd enjoy half as much as I am.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

Bloodborne's platinum trophy is pretty easy to get since all of the achievements are based on mandatory game progress except for the two collection ones and the chalice dungeon one. I'm still proud of it though because I'm a huge wimp and hadn't even walked into the chalice dungeons because of the spiders until earlier this week

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DQ Builders is GOTY for me, probably. And I'm saying that while only being on chapter 2, which is supposed to be the worst chapter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been playing the Dying Light DLC that came out earlier this year and I have such mixed feelings on it. It boils down to the fact that to accommodate the awesome driving they added in, they had to design the new area with lots of flat ground and roads, which massively cuts down on the awesome parkour that made the base game so enjoyable.

I understand the design decision to not give you a "car, please teleport next to me so I don't have to run all the way to you" button considering the kind of setting it is and how a lot of the gameplay is about traversing dangerous mobs of zombies, but I still really wish there was one. You can get pretty loving far from the buggy while dicking around on foot.

Oh, and the writing remains maybe the worst I've ever seen in a AAA game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

would you believe my game of the month... is eu4. next month's is pokemon by the way, just getting that out there

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

They're actually pretty easy compared to any game with multiplayer achievements or that require you to play hard modes or speedruns. You can out level most difficulty in souls (or better yet, summon) and just look up a guide and collect everything.

Also DSII has in-game achievements for beating the game without dying and one for beating it without lighting a bonfire which is a neat idea.

Yeah I guess you're right. It just surprises me how many people are willing to go through the trouble of doing stuff like the NPC quests or collecting all rings/sorceries etc where there's a lot of looking things up. The only souls plat I ever bothered to get was Dark Souls 3 and getting the covenant items was a slog since those blue covenants were kinda broken at launch (they must've patched that by this point idk)

I really like collecting platinum trophies (i'm almost at 100 which is cool/depressing) I just think the trophy lists on those games are kind of a missed opportunity. It would've been a neat incentive for speedruns/challenge runs

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I only finished two games this month, but if I had to choose, probably Wolf Among Us. It's the first Telltale game I've ever beaten and I had a real fun time with it

As far as unfinished games go I've been replaying Bayo 1 on Wii U, and aside from banging my head against chapter 5 for two and a half hours it's just as good as I remember it. My favorite of the Nintendo costumes they added to the game is the Samus costume since you can mess around with the visor in-game and in cutscenes by holding down on the d-pad and it's hilarious

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

DQ Builders is GOTY for me, probably. And I'm saying that while only being on chapter 2, which is supposed to be the worst chapter.

so much good poo poo in store for you in 3. i wont spoil it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tap my mountain posted:

My gotm is still Dead Rising. I finished every achievement except for 7 day survivor and I'm not sure I really want to do it. I tried doing it while watching TV, but I only made it 22 hours before I made a timing mistake and came back to the game over screen.

I guess if I'm going to do it I'll have to keep an eye on it the full 14 hours.

if you're resigned to babysit it you should look up what psychopaths spawn during which hours and plot out a path to minmax food. it's more fun at least

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I did a street fighter build in DS2 and had a blast with it. Its way more fun than you'd think. Your hits come out so fast that you can just pummel anything down to dust and keep them chain staggered forever.

Downside is no reach whatsoever. Fights with several enemies can get real interesting.
It works out even better with DS3s weapon skill system. The caestus skill is a poise boost and damage absorption, which lets you tank hits if you time it right. So you can active it right as you're about to eat a big hit, only take a third of the damage and just pummel them during their recovery.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

I've been playing the Dying Light DLC that came out earlier this year and I have such mixed feelings on it. It boils down to the fact that to accommodate the awesome driving they added in, they had to design the new area with lots of flat ground and roads, which massively cuts down on the awesome parkour that made the base game so enjoyable.

I understand the design decision to not give you a "car, please teleport next to me so I don't have to run all the way to you" button considering the kind of setting it is and how a lot of the gameplay is about traversing dangerous mobs of zombies, but I still really wish there was one. You can get pretty loving far from the buggy while dicking around on foot.

Oh, and the writing remains maybe the worst I've ever seen in a AAA game.

The story in Dying Light is eh but I do like how Crane complains when sidequest characters want him to do fetch quests (but then he does it anyway because loot is cool). Also Crane is voiced by sonic the hedgehog and I think that's real funny

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

My gnome of the month is my protection warrior Bob Huggins

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

It works out even better with DS3s weapon skill system. The caestus skill is a poise boost and damage absorption, which lets you tank hits if you time it right. So you can active it right as you're about to eat a big hit, only take a third of the damage and just pummel them during their recovery.

It was pretty good in 2 because dual stance gave you way more options than the caestus in 1, but yeah I need to try out that weapon art.

Now I wanna see some insane souls savant pull off something like the Daigo Parry using Caestus in DS3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuA5we0RZU)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJacobs posted:

The story in Dying Light is eh but I do like how Crane complains when sidequest characters want him to do fetch quests (but then he does it anyway because loot is cool). Also Crane is voiced by sonic the hedgehog and I think that's real funny

It just makes him sound like a tool, to me. Much like everyone in the game. Every single line of dialogue is bad, and the worst of them are the ones coming from characters that are supposed to be funny.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

precision posted:

Ch 2 was my favorite, building a whole fort to support a hospital really hit with me

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

Bloodborne's platinum trophy is pretty easy to get since all of the achievements are based on mandatory game progress except for the two collection ones and the chalice dungeon one. I'm still proud of it though because I'm a huge wimp and hadn't even walked into the chalice dungeons because of the spiders until earlier this week

There's also the weapon one. I'm 80-odd hours in on NG+ and I only just popped that one because my dumb rear end missed the Blood Rock the first time around. :negative:

Doing all this grindy odd stuff actually ends up being fun though, just because the PvE and PvP combat are so good.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Its as good as Doom 4 AND has co-op. What the gently caress else do you need?
Handmade maps.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Zaphod42 posted:

Except... those things are nothing alike? It isn't doing the "bazillion weapons" thing at all, there's no RNG. Its just a standard FPS with lots of guns. Calling it borderlands is wholly disengenous.
Damage numbers and random loot pop out of enemies when you shoot them, there are loot chests, a quest system, elemental imbuement and weaknesses/resistances (which is dumb for FPS games and I hate it), a protagonist with silly one-liners, and 4-player co-op. Having 70 actual individual static weapons with a bunch of different socketable combinations actually gives you far more meaningful weapon variety than BL1 or 2 ever had.

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude I've never spent more than 3 seconds thinking about which gems to socket and never had ANY problems. Its your own autism that's an issue if you can't stop yourself from min/maxing.
My complaint isn't indecision, it's where the gently caress did that one actually good gem go admist the seven seas of worthless poo poo that is my inventory because sorting appears to be determined neither by rarity nor by collection order and there are like 8 tabs anyway. And then there's the aforementioned bipolar balancing issues where even when I DO spend the effort to slot the good gems into my good weapons, I'm completely unchallenged by the majority of mobs and then spend entirely too long playing cat and mouse with the occasional high-level enemies with elemental resist to avoid getting my poo poo kicked in.

Zaphod42 posted:

What? I've played the game 4-player co-op for many nights with my friends and my cousin, and we've not had any issues at all.

Only saving progress for the host is a minor annoyance, but its a run and gun shooty game that isn't insanely long, its not really that big a deal honestly. I get why its psychologically a little frustrating, but just... get over it? You just shoot dudes and they die. Who cares?
Playing co-op for the first few days following launch had a good chance of corrupting everyone's save file. There's no text chat whatsoever. My own range of technical issues even in solo includes half the game's textures looking like something out of a shovelware title from a late-era PS2 game regardless of what quality they're set to, and constant audio skipping for all music and dialogue. The audio skipping in particular is a widely known issue that still hasn't been patched.

I want to enjoy killing things in this game. I really do. The weapons themselves are great. Everything else just seems to be deliberately wedging itself as far up my rear end as possible.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
do you remember hotel dusk. i bet you do

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is that Chinese Bootleg Kyle Hyde

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

i guess it's sort of a bootleg since they ain't got the rights to him anymore but its the same people as made hotel dusk

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Isn't it written by a completely different person tho

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A link, or any kind of explanation at all might help...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

corn in the bible posted:

i guess it's sort of a bootleg since they ain't got the rights to him anymore but its the same people as made hotel dusk

What's that from?

I mean I need to finish playing Hotel Dusk and the sequel, but dang I want more games by those folks. They knew how to make a neat time.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mordja posted:

A link, or any kind of explanation at all might help...

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's that from?

I mean I need to finish playing Hotel Dusk and the sequel, but dang I want more games by those folks. They knew how to make a neat time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase:_Cold_Case_Investigations_-_Distant_Memories

Last I heard the writer of Hotel Dusk and its sequel had nothing to do with it, which is why I never got around to buying it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I just had a customer report me for dropping a singular dime that was part of her payment. Fast food, everybody!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Lizard Wizard posted:

I just had a customer report me for dropping a singular dime that was part of her payment. Fast food, everybody!

You don't know where that floor's been!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MonkeyforaHead posted:

You don't know where that floor's been!

Pavement, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

didnt we fix up your resume so you could get a less lovely job