Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Don't be sad it's over, be happy it happened. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/10/audis-legendary-le-mans-program-to-end-in-2016/

Actually, it's OK to be sad.

am I foolish to expect the current high-nose R18+ showing up next year at Le Mans with fluorescent white and dashes of paint ala the Champion Audis of yore? ;) kind of a shame they can't pass the factory cars to anybody else (or a private Team Joest) to continue for one more year with the older machine, but so goes life.

(also, double-check your caption for the R10 for 2007)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
End of an era for sure. Even when they steamrolled everybody else, they were still likeable. Wonder what Joest will do next.

Edit: semi beaten on the Joest question

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of LMPs, Oreca's new LMP2 offering.
https://www.facebook.com/IMSA/photos/pcb.1128164300595154/1128153520596232/

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Can you rehost this? Facebook be blocked, yo.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
From Team Joest itself:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Can you rehost this? Facebook be blocked, yo.

I got you brudda

http://imgur.com/a/vKUJw

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
That new Oreca looks fuckin siiiiick

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

George Zimmer posted:

From Team Joest itself:

Well, BMW needs a WEC GTLM team and they've cheated on Porsche/Audi before (with Opel, of all brands).

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

harperdc posted:

am I foolish to expect the current high-nose R18+ showing up next year at Le Mans with fluorescent white and dashes of paint ala the Champion Audis of yore? ;) kind of a shame they can't pass the factory cars to anybody else (or a private Team Joest) to continue for one more year with the older machine, but so goes life.

(also, double-check your caption for the R10 for 2007)

Yes, that's not going to happen. And thanks, will check it shortly.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean theres nothing preventing a private make from purchasing one of those cars if they had more money than god, but noone would be that foolhardy. I mean a LMP1-HY runs about 100M per year, its literally pissing money down a hole for no gain.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 26, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
For that kinda money a GT team could basically buy factory support and go out and win anything.

The only way we're gonna get factory cars like that in privateer hands is through some type of homologation.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

no bones about it posted:

I mean theres nothing preventing a private make from purchasing one of those cars if they had more money than god, but noone would be that foolhardy. I mean a LMP1-HY runs about 100M per year, its literally pissing money down a hole for no gain.

Actually Toyota Motorsport only spends ~$80 million a year for a 2-car team.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
RIP some amazing cars. Glad I got to see the Audis once (the older open-cockpit ones, maybe 2007?).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Actually Toyota Motorsport only spends ~$80 million a year for a 2-car team.

A winning LMP1-HY runs 100m a year :v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Man I don't even know what to say. I knew it had to end sometime, and especially with the cost of VW dieselgate you knew they were looking at two competing LMP programs anxiously. But wow, what a ride.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Speaking about Dieselgate, there's some fun stuff happening in Germany because a VW paid expertise came to the conclusion ALL diesel cars sold in Germany that cheated are breaking the law and not road legal.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Riso posted:

Speaking about Dieselgate, there's some fun stuff happening in Germany because a VW paid expertise came to the conclusion ALL diesel cars sold in Germany that cheated are breaking the law and not road legal.

Of course if VW is not allowed to sell diesel cars then they're gonna try to make it so other companies not under VAG are unable to sell them too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So, one of the theories proposed in the German article that came out last month about Audi leaving WEC centered around the use of diesel. Not just Dieselgate having a corporate impact, but the rules changes for power units coming in and making diesel engines even more handicapped than they are now. This comes into play because one of the reasons the VAG board allowed both Audi and Porsche to play was relying on them using the two different fuels to showcase different technology.

If that isn't happening and Audi would want to switch back to a petrol engine again, then that means two teams using a similar technology, and Porsche apparently has the juice to keep the Le Mans program over Audi.

Which is a shame. Porsche has a long history at Le Mans and in prototype racing, of course, but Audi has been the anchor of Le Mans since 2000. Not just from the victories and success, but just because they've always been there. They went from an upstart to a powerhouse to a legend, and I'm happy that I could see this era of sports car racing.

Now I'm sad I couldn't make Fuji this year...again :smith:

[edit] once more, for old time's sake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKjVQbYcTiY

harperdc fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 27, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Riso posted:

Didn't it even go even further and VW said they'd pay to retest all their cars but only if the government agreed to retest all other cars in the market?

Everything I read about the company is completely hosed and at this point I wouldnt be shocked if Porsche is gone from WEC next year as well. The infighting between the Porsche/Piech families has just created a power vacuum on the board that the unions have filled and they've (correctly) said that this whole dieselgate thing is a management/engineering problem and they're the ones that need to fall on the sword. So now they've basically culled or put out to pasture all their experienced engineers and have a corporate mandate to completely change direction as a company. Oh and I keep hearing rumours that Ferdinand Piech is still pulling strings here and there amidst all the chaos.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Watching gymkhana grid this morning, the announcers tip toeing around all this lovely things ken block does was really offputting, and talking up any monster energy sponsored car every time they saw one made me never want to watch it again.

It was satisfying to see block get his $600k+ car get beaten by a fatass evo though.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mean on the one hand I get that, on the other hand what are the chances you'd be watching gymkhana anything without Block?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I mean on the one hand I get that, on the other hand what are the chances you'd be watching gymkhana anything without Block?

Well he wasn't even involved at the start, and even tried to sue them for using the gymkhana name. He seems to do it simply because it's somewhere he can go to beat up on privateers in $20,000 cars.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Powershift posted:

Well he wasn't even involved at the start, and even tried to sue them for using the gymkhana name. He seems to do it simply because it's somewhere he can go to beat up on privateers in $20,000 cars.

That's because he can't actually drive well, outside of defined stunts to pull off on a certain circuit.

Every time he tries to actually race real race drivers he gets smoked. He's a tubby bro douche that happens to have enough money to do whatever he wants.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

my point is he re-popularized a genre of racing that was withering on the vine prior to his dumb videos

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

my point is he re-popularized a genre of racing that was withering on the vine prior to his dumb videos

What genre?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

offshore powerboat racing

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Man that ain't withering on the vine. Powerboat racing is dead and the vineyard has been plowed over and had a Lowe's built on top.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Kind of like the NY Dirt scene ohohoho

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you son of a bitch

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
How's Syracuse working out, these days?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Y'all just love twisting the knife.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
At least Central NY Raceway is ready to open any day now!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
VW is rumored to be pulling out of the WRC. Joke series.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

VW is rumored to be pulling out of the WRC. Joke series.

really says a lot that they have dominated the title in each of their four years and gotten, presumably, little to no appreciable return on that investment

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Probably also related to VAG's pulling out (heh) of lots of motorsport to focus on ones that will improve their green image.

e:

vvv yeah that too

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 31, 2016

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Probably also related to VAG's pulling out (heh) of lots of motorsport to focus on paying their bills

Fixed that for ya

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Congratulations Toyota 2017 WRC champions

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

dsriggs posted:

How's Syracuse working out, these days?

dsriggs posted:

At least Central NY Raceway is ready to open any day now!

Meanwhile OCFS just had the 7th epic finish in a row :smug:

(I hate WRG so Syracuse being blown up and CNYRP failing makes me aroused, just fyi)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

julian assflange posted:

Congratulations Toyota 2017 WRC champions

• Locked thread