Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I thought he was in some hell hole in Pennsylvania, but I try not to focus too much on the personal details of my fellow posters.

In any case, Bill if you don't like to drink but still want to get sideways on occasion, weed is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Please stop attempting to derail me with your degeneracies, I get enough of that with the local denizens of Pittsburgh, vile as they are.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

Please stop attempting to derail me with your degeneracies, I get enough of that with the local denizens of Pittsburgh, vile as they are.

Anyone who shovels french fries into a cheesesteak can't be all bad dude.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Winter stuff ❄️

New Carhartt coat and new parka from the Northface for the misses

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Winter stuff ❄️

New Carhartt coat and new parka from the Northface for the misses

Yess Carhartt's are awesome, so warm. Pretty much a necessity if you work outside in the winter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a fat head and Carhartt hats are the only ones that fit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've always wondered why you would buy a Carhartt winter jacket as opposed to one from Patagonia/Mountain Hardwear/North Face/etc.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

I've always wondered why you would buy a Carhartt winter jacket as opposed to one from Patagonia/Mountain Hardwear/North Face/etc.

Because you want a loving jacket, not a fashion accessory.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PCOS Bill posted:

Because you want a loving jacket, not a fashion accessory.

What if I want a jacket that's also a fashion accessory?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is North Face a fashion brand? I see everyone wearing it. Like a lot of old people.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That maroon women's parka looks pretty warm.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Josh Lyman posted:

The carhartt is made of thick canvas, so it can withstand serious abuse. Like another poster said, it's good for those who work outside during the winter.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You know who sells good jackets that are cheap for the winter?

Costco

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mu Zeta posted:

Is North Face a fashion brand? I see everyone wearing it. Like a lot of old people.

I'd say they are trendy, but they are also really good coats. I have a thin winter jacket that is warmer than an older Columbia ski jacket I have, my biggest issue with it is that the logo is also on the back shoulder as well as the front. It's completely rain and wind proof. Getting it for half price due to a sale is the only reason I ended up getting it though.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

In my experience, Carhartts are just way more durable, and cheaper. The cost of that coat is equivalent to a tshirt or a light fleece from any of the brands you just mentioned :v: and will handle anything you throw at it. I got the Northface parka for MY GIRLFRIEND because all she does is walk a few blocks and ride a train in the city. I needed something a lot more durable.

Btw, I got that coat and jacket at sierratradingpost.com at really good prices, they're having a winter jacket sale! I suggest y'all check it out.

white sauce has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Oct 26, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

FishBulb posted:

You know who sells good jackets that are cheap for the winter?

Costco

Every time I walk past them, I hope it says Costcoats. It never does.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

More Plex stuff. 4TB model. The Shield TV (Android) is able to connect to network storage, so now this thing is running all my movies and I can just add more over my network as I go. One sneaky cool feature of these is that they have a USB hub for plugging in an external drive to backup your NAS or simply for more storage, so now I have 8TBs.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

In my experience, Carhartts are just way more durable, and cheaper. The cost of that coat is equivalent to a tshirt or a light fleece from any of the brands you just mentioned :v: and will handle anything you throw at it.

Carhartt is a fashion brand in the UK it seems, and is now expensive and hard to find the 'workmen' lines. So if you're a tradie, I imagine what you can get is useless and expensive.

The one pair of trousers I found 4 years ago I still wear, have no signs of failure, and my American friends ask me where I bought it as it's what 'their' builders wear and they can't find it here.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In my experience, Carhartts are just way more durable, and cheaper. The cost of that coat is equivalent to a tshirt or a light fleece from any of the brands you just mentioned :v: and will handle anything you throw at it.
But is it 20k/20k waterproof breathable? :colbert:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The Carhartt fashion thing in the UK will never not be utterly stupifying to me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Workwear is more durable but also vastly heavier and generally not even remotely as waterproof as hiking stuff. I have a softshell jacket that is probably as durable as anything Carhart sells but it is probably like twice as expensive as something you would get from them.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

bongwizzard posted:

Workwear is more durable but also vastly heavier and generally not even remotely as waterproof as hiking stuff. I have a softshell jacket that is probably as durable as anything Carhart sells but it is probably like twice as expensive as something you would get from them.

And what brand is that?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
An Arcteryx Gamma LT. It is really stretchy but also really tough, I can shove my way through rosebushes and load trucks at work in it and thus far the only damage is a little grease stain on the cuff and two very very tiny pulls on one of the sleeves. The MSRP on their stuff is pretty insane, but as long as you're not too picky about color you can usually get one for around 150 to 175.

I was highly dubious that their stuff was worth it, but it this point I have three of their jackets and each one has been absolutely amazing and is near perfect for its intended purpose.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I'm sure Joe Schmoe working construction is just going to run out to pay $175-300 for a lightweight jacket instead of grabbing a Carhartt for $70 since he's so flush with his mom's money like some loving millennial goon

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Sure but like is that relevant to anything we are talking about? I was just saying that it is possible to have both a lightweight and very tough jacket, but such things are very expensive.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

SOMEONE still hasn't smoked any :420: - so cranky!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I know, start to feel sort of bad for the guy. However, I did just discover that dickeys seems to sell stretchy skinny jeans style work pants and I'm going to absolutely or pair of them the second I get to the computer.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Part of what you pay for with Arc'terix and Patagonia poo poo is the quality control

You buy a $300 Patagonia rainproof jacket and 10 years down the road it starts to leak a little? Have a new jacket. Zipper breaks? Have a new jacket. Their customer support is loving jaw-droppingly good.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MA-Horus posted:

Part of what you pay for with Arc'terix and Patagonia poo poo is the quality control

You buy a $300 Patagonia rainproof jacket and 10 years down the road it starts to leak a little? Have a new jacket. Zipper breaks? Have a new jacket. Their customer support is loving jaw-droppingly good.

I think they actually charge you to repair their gear, at least with Patagonia. I'd rather just get 4 carhartt coats and be set for the next 40 years at the price of one arcteryx or Patagonia jacket lol but if lightweight, premium hiking stuff is what you're into, then go for it :v:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PCOS Bill posted:

Yeah I'm sure Joe Schmoe working construction is just going to run out to pay $175-300 for a lightweight jacket instead of grabbing a Carhartt for $70 since he's so flush with his mom's money like some loving millennial goon

I'm a poor millennial with enough sense to have few possessions and the ones I do are typically the best in class. It's easy when you don't buy loads of garbage.

Oh wait, I just saw it was Bill. Sorry, old man, that the young'uns down at the burger shack made fun of your American flag Truck Nutz. They must all be lazy idiots, amirite?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Inspired by some of you other nerds (and a $25 Amazon gift card) I'll have a lockpick set by the end of the week!

I'm not gonna tell anyone I know about it just so that maybe some day I'll have an excuse to pick a lock and just be like "yeah, of course I can pick locks"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Inzombiac posted:

I'm a poor millennial with enough sense to have few possessions and the ones I do are typically the best in class. It's easy when you don't buy loads of garbage.

Oh wait, I just saw it was Bill. Sorry, old man, that the young'uns down at the burger shack made fun of your American flag Truck Nutz. They must all be lazy idiots, amirite?

I ride a Japanese supersport and drive a Japanese hatchback, and likely have longer than you've been out of diapers, squirt. No trucks to put nuts on.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Inspired by some of you other nerds (and a $25 Amazon gift card) I'll have a lockpick set by the end of the week!

I'm not gonna tell anyone I know about it just so that maybe some day I'll have an excuse to pick a lock and just be like "yeah, of course I can pick locks"

I stuck my lockpicks and trainer lock in a drawer like a day after I got them, I should pull them out again.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Go work construction wearing Arcteryx you loving imbecile. This has to be one of the most out of touch posts I've seen in a while.

There are valid use cases for both types of gear. A stopped clock is right twice a day and in this case Bill is right.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There's no way he's right twice a day. :colbert:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma posted:

There's no way he's right twice a day. :colbert:

Dick Trauma works in IT.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

tangy yet delightful posted:

Go work construction wearing Arcteryx you loving imbecile. This has to be one of the most out of touch posts I've seen in a while.

There are valid use cases for both types of gear. A stopped clock is right twice a day and in this case Bill is right.

That wasn't really my point but okay.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

tangy yet delightful posted:

Only the best hitech hiking gear for me, the contemporary urban goon

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I jut bought a coat from Eddie Bauer.

:smug:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rolo posted:

I jut bought a coat from Eddie Bauer.

:smug:

I buy all my clothes from Pendleton because, somehow, it's now a thing in the product recommendation thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My winter jacket (It's like 8 years old now so not a recent purchase) is a Hawke & Co. It's great.