Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Hillary is probably going to win North Carolina, Iowa, and Ohio. Arizona is an extremely close race. Georgia is the only state I'd really consider a solid stopper for 370. It's well within the realm of possibility that Hillary gets a surprise win in Indiana or Missouri or someplace, though. I don't think I'd put in a bet in either direction on the 370 EV market right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Vox Nihili posted:

Yes, it takes about five minutes to get started.

Eeek this fees are insane. Let me get this right, If I buy a contract at 50, for $50, and it goes to $100, I'll net $90 and if I want to withdraw, I'll keep only $84.50. That means a contract at 50 is really like 65% at a no fee market. Anyway around the withdrawl fee?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

The "trick" is not to withdraw after only one bet. The winning fee is per bet but the withdrawal fee is not.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

5436 posted:

Anyway around the withdrawl fee?

Lose all of your money.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

5436 posted:

Eeek this fees are insane. Let me get this right, If I buy a contract at 50, for $50, and it goes to $100, I'll net $90 and if I want to withdraw, I'll keep only $84.50. That means a contract at 50 is really like 65% at a no fee market. Anyway around the withdrawl fee?

You're mistaken. The 10% fee is only on profit. So in your scenario you'd get $95 after the 10% fee, as it would only be applied to your $50 profit.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Vox Nihili posted:

You're mistaken. The 10% fee is only on profit. So in your scenario you'd get $95 after the 10% fee, as it would only be applied to your $50 profit.

Oh okay. I guess I'll take the plunge.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

5436 posted:

Oh okay. I guess I'll take the plunge.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US
ONE OF US

DONT BET ON POLLS

Also keep in mind that the 10% is only on profit but the 5% is on every withdrawal.

So to use your example where you buy $50 worth of shares at .50:
  • The market resolves and your 100 shares resolve at $1 each, total of $100
  • The profit you made is $50, of which they take 10%. $5. Leaves you with $95 credit
  • You can now either turn this around and buy into another market(s) OR withdraw your funds at a 5% fee ($4.75)
  • This makes your bottom line $90.25 which also doesn't consider taxes.
Obviously we recommend turning your profits around into new markets but you run the risk of Being Wrong and losing it all. If you're familiar with this type of betting we probably don't need to inform you of things like not putting all your eggs in one basket, not gambling anything you won't mind losing, etc.

Have fun!

Necc0 has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Oct 24, 2016

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

Hillary is probably going to win North Carolina, Iowa, and Ohio. Arizona is an extremely close race. Georgia is the only state I'd really consider a solid stopper for 370. It's well within the realm of possibility that Hillary gets a surprise win in Indiana or Missouri or someplace, though. I don't think I'd put in a bet in either direction on the 370 EV market right now.
Me either. If I'd bought in at a lower price, I would definitely be holding on to my shares, but these prices just don't justify the risk.

Betting Yes is essentially saying that Hillary can make up 3-4 points in Georgia between now and election day, and at this point, it's hard to see that happening, particularly since she hasn't invested significant resources there.

However...

Betting No is saying that Trump has found his floor and that there's enough voters in Georgia who will turn out no matter what to win him the state. Given the trend in voter enthusiasm numbers lately, I'd be very concerned that Trump's supporters in rural Georgia just don't show up to the polls and give Hillary a narrow win.

I think there's way better bets at roughly the same odds. For example, I'd rather bet on Hillary winning North Carolina, currently at 70c than on Hillary not getting 370 EV at 65c. If it dropped to 50c or lower, I would be tempted to buy in on No, but not at 65c.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
i have no clue what is going on but currently DEM.PREZPARTY.YES is at 83 and REP.PREZPARTY.NO is at 78. I've already got a decent chunk of the NO but I am genuinely considering a max if it goes another cent or two lower. the only thing holding me back at this point is the laughs I'm having at the pro-trump comments reposted ITT and the complete aversion to becoming a 'GOT IT ALL RIDING ON HILLARY, BABY' bettor

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

i have no clue what is going on but currently DEM.PREZPARTY.YES is at 83 and REP.PREZPARTY.NO is at 78. I've already got a decent chunk of the NO but I am genuinely considering a max if it goes another cent or two lower. the only thing holding me back at this point is the laughs I'm having at the pro-trump comments reposted ITT and the complete aversion to becoming a 'GOT IT ALL RIDING ON HILLARY, BABY' bettor

Those weird differences in virtually-identical markets occur everywhere but can't be leveraged/arbitraged as much as I wish they could.

And did someone want more all-in-on-trump brags right before the debates?

quote:

I got 8k on trump at +320 odds which is like 80% of my net worth

quote:

$3,000 here on Trump shares. I've maxed out Trump as Pres, Pence as VP, a Repub winning the White House, and NO to a woman being Pres.

quote:

Got a few thousand down on various things there - primarily Trump winning things, Hillary losing things, and the Trump vs. Clinton polls.

DMCrimson has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Oct 24, 2016

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
George Soros is manipulating the markets in Hillary's favor everyone bet the house on Trump #maga https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/517yy5/george_soros_is_paying_shills_to_manipulate/

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
for those of you too lazy to click

quote:

Good thing I own 1200 shares for trump at 25 cents a share. Winning big in November!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Anyone have any insight into what's up in this market? B3 shot up huge today since the RCP average is at 29.0%, but I see in the comments people talking about "will they fix their mistake today??"

https://www.predictit.org/Market/2625/What-will-Right-Direction-poll-at-on-October-24

Looks like the Economist/YouGov poll that RCP is linking to that they have in their average at 31% actually says 28%. Is that what they're talking about?

Don't bet on polls.

Edit: And RCP just updated and it flipped from B4 at 15c to B4 at 99c before I could get in and buy any. Boo.

Edit2: So all RCP did is drop off the oldest poll. They still have the one where the actual poll is at 28 in their average as 31.

BCRock has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Oct 25, 2016

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

LinYutang posted:

George Soros is manipulating the markets in Hillary's favor everyone bet the house on Trump #maga https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/517yy5/george_soros_is_paying_shills_to_manipulate/

Now I'm wondering how much of this is sincere and how much of it is shitposters trying to rile up more cards to bilk

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

oof

It's a real shame I have things like 'self control' and 'doubt' and am not willing to squeeze any more money out of these guys

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Really can't believe that guy is for real. Probably just messing around the developer tools to gently caress with people

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

LinYutang posted:

Really can't believe that guy is for real. Probably just messing around the developer tools to gently caress with people

It's in an image. It has to be true.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The polling markets have a legit tarot card reader in the comments now.

Feels about right, honestly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

same

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

big, if true

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

how did you get my gain/loss bar???

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The urge to set up a fake Trump-pump account on Reddit is getting tougher to resist.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Vox Nihili posted:

The urge to set up a fake Trump-pump account on Reddit is getting tougher to resist.

Would you really have that much of an impact on them at this point? They seem to be handling it just fine on their own

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Trump got his first positive Florida poll in a while (+1 lol) and the Florida market has tanked, if anyone's confident in the state going Dem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I did, in fact, have money burning a hole in my pocket. Thanks for the tip.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Bought all the 63 cent Florida republican nos and then 500 republican nos at 79 cents for the nationwide cause I deposited to much and I am an impatient babby

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

What's the deal with NE-2? It is rated as safe Trump in the RCP average (based on one poll from what I can tell) but a tossup in PredictIT. Seems like the safest way to double your money right now.

https://www.predictit.org/Market/2402/Which-party-will-win-the-electoral-vote-from-Nebraska

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Zeta Taskforce posted:

What's the deal with NE-2? It is rated as safe Trump in the RCP average (based on one poll from what I can tell) but a tossup in PredictIT. Seems like the safest way to double your money right now.

https://www.predictit.org/Market/2402/Which-party-will-win-the-electoral-vote-from-Nebraska

538 has NE-2 as nearly a 50/50 based on that same poll, probably because it's a month old, and from before a huge swing towards clinton, so I guess "who knows what might have changed". Guess that's a good illustration of how 538 leans into uncertainty differently than other aggregators.

NE-2 is the district that went for Obama, but I think that was before some redistricting tried to make it safe red again.

Ditocoaf has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Oct 26, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
This should be a useful tool for election day:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jKcY2Lu45iI1foalRyQfJdOsWyFNNqr8skQ_0d2abGI/edit#gid=0

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Nice. Thanks for sharing that.

Today's TvC market has been fun. Got in on cheap B5 shares this morning and just got out at 75c so I can stop the constant refreshing and actually get some poo poo done today.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

quote:

box4 • 10 hours ago
I thought I was getting a great deal when I bought Democratic NO at 32 cents 4 months ago. But now it's 18 cents. WOW!

I'm already maxed out, otherwise I'd buy more Democratic NO.

I just saw the GOP's Sean Spicer on Fox and Friends. The numbers, he said, from early voting in Ohio and Florida show big gains over 2012 for Republicans, both in terms of higher R numbers and lower D numbers.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I'm minutes away from pumping some more money into the market now that GOP.NO is sub 80 again. are there any bonuses or promotions I should be aware of?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I'm minutes away from pumping some more money into the market now that GOP.NO is sub 80 again. are there any bonuses or promotions I should be aware of?

They're only for first-time depositors nowadays

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

New markets:

Who will be New Zealand's Labour Party Leader at the end of 2017?
NZ National Party leader?
Who will win the 2017 Ecuadorian presidential election?

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Florida shares are pretty low

https://www.predictit.org/Market/2103/Which-party-will-win-Florida-in-the-2016-presidential-election

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It is almost like there is a constant amount of advertising convincing people that Trump is going to win with no logical basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I bought up a bunch of Florida right before that poll came out that completely tanked it. Really bummed about that.

• Locked thread