Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

honestly, Abe is the bigger loss here. We've got plenty of dour sad sacks, we only had one foul-mouthed marker-hair cigar aficionado

Agreed. I really like the various Abe-isms and he will be missed. Loved him in Band of Brothers. Be at Peace fair ginger man. May flights of angels bring you cigars while you rest and tell the devil "suck my nuts".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Well. That was certainly a Gory Thing That Happened.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Tim Whatley posted:

A lot of people on my Facebook feed are absolutely disgusted and uncomfortable with the premiere, which I still don't really get. I think the thing that shocked me the most was the S5 premiere where a group of cannibals in an arranged cattle-like fashion with clipboards and poo poo slit a dude's loving throat open over a trough like it was nothing.

That was the high point of the Terminus story for me. It was so clinical and calm that it made the situation feel so much more upsetting, where this new episode is just cartoonish with a ton of dumb build up.

But no one cared about the nobodies who died there, they liked Glenn.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Von_Doom posted:

Who's Nagan?

I miss Abe already

Ray Nagan, ex mayor and crook.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Von_Doom posted:

Agreed. I really like the various Abe-isms and he will be missed. Loved him in Band of Brothers. Be at Peace fair ginger man. May flights of angels bring you cigars while you rest and tell the devil "suck my nuts".

Man no kidding. I was sold as soon as they cast him, based entirely on the strength of his Band of Brothers role. RIP you giant bastard

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

That was the high point of the Terminus story for me. It was so clinical and calm that it made the situation feel so much more upsetting, where this new episode is just cartoonish with a ton of dumb build up.

Glen and Abe weren't just killed, they were mutilated, on purpose. The violence visited on them is unparalleled in the show because death has always been violent but always for a point and to a point; Negan kept it up long after they were dead for no reason other than affect. It doesn't bother me, I just hope it doesn't become a feature of the show because I look it as a cheap shock value trick that only has importance because of its rarity.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

xxEightxx posted:

Glen and Abe weren't just killed, they were mutilated, on purpose. The violence visited on them is unparalleled in the show because death has always been violent but always for a point and to a point; Negan kept it up long after they were dead for no reason other than affect. It doesn't bother me, I just hope it doesn't become a feature of the show because I look it as a cheap shock value trick that only has importance because of its rarity.
Yeah, Negan is special - he's a master of manipulation, which is mainly what the episode was trying to show to people. I hope they do a long-haired Negan thing eventually, JDM would look like the world's most evil Jesus.

There's not many reasons that the gore gets to that level in TWD and I wouldn't expect anything on that level unless they get another 2 seasons in and maybe run into the Whisperers, which is the only point I can think of where things got that gory again. Most of the time it's more of a shock thing, like when Rick chopped off barber woman's hand.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 27, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

I stopped watching the show after season 5, but since it is literally all anyone wants to talk about at work I binged through season 6 and caught up.

Pretty good, I'd say. Although they're lucky they got JDM to play Negan because without his charisma and charm, the character would be utterly laughable. I almost lost it when he brought Rick back and did the whole "anybody got a pen?" thing where Trevor from GTA answers like an enthusiastic dog. It all came off as (in-universe) one big thing they'd rehearsed and practiced. Dollars to donuts this Negan guy has a notebook where he scribbles all this poo poo down in at night. Just like with the Governor, the only reason the villain isn't a big joke is because they have a fantastic actor working his rear end off.

Didn't see the deaths of Abe and Glenn coming. Figured they'd reveal it was all a big bait and switch. Good on 'em for that.

Carol remains my favorite character on the show, though Morgan is right up there with her.

The biker guy who worked for Negan that Daryl blew up was too good for this show. He was about as entertaining as JDM in the exact same way and I'm sad he only got that one scene.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
What do you all discuss at the water cooler? Plot? Characters? SFX?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Hardawn posted:

What do you all discuss at the water cooler?

Whose dick is Maggie gonna ride now?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Apparently there's alternate footage that was shot of Maggie getting thumped? Probably more b-roll to keep the actors on their toes and any potential leaked footage ambiguous.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Serf posted:

I stopped watching the show after season 5, but since it is literally all anyone wants to talk about at work I binged through season 6 and caught up.

Pretty good, I'd say. Although they're lucky they got JDM to play Negan because without his charisma and charm, the character would be utterly laughable. I almost lost it when he brought Rick back and did the whole "anybody got a pen?" thing where Trevor from GTA answers like an enthusiastic dog. It all came off as (in-universe) one big thing they'd rehearsed and practiced. Dollars to donuts this Negan guy has a notebook where he scribbles all this poo poo down in at night.

I would pay money to see a flashback to the in universe rehearsals for the whistling. :allears:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

xxEightxx posted:

The violence visited on them is unparalleled in the show

This violence is not unparalleled, people. We literally saw a dude get his face ripped off and eaten against a glass door. Rick hacked off his love interest's hand, pretty graphically. Denise got an arrow through her eye then comically kept on babbling whatever dumb poo poo she was talking about before for a few more seconds. Diabeetus girl got munched in front of our eyes, we saw our *~*protagonists*~* just squelching knives effortlessly into sleeping fools' heads.

This isn't anything new. I'd bet if you timed how long we saw Noah get munched on it'd be comparable to Glen's Sloth impression.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Buzkashi posted:

Apparently there's alternate footage that was shot of Maggie getting thumped? Probably more b-roll to keep the actors on their toes and any potential leaked footage ambiguous.

They showed it in the drat episode since they are hacks and dogshit.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Noah's death was much grosser and more pointless but I felt it was far more effective horror. Jennifer Lynch is a way more effective director than Greg Nicotero.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think Glenn's death has upset more people because so many assumed he was "safe" for being such a long-running character that was well-liked. The makeup effect was disturbing (and good), but not really any grosser than the pustule-neck zombie, or Carol ripping off a zombie's scalp, or Rick pulling off a zombie's face along with its gasmask etc.

The most disturbing thing in the show for me is the part when Daryl just casually throws a zombie into the back of an open SUV and closes the hatch on its head. The sound and gore for some reason stick with me, I dunno why.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

They showed it in the drat episode since they are hacks and dogshit.

Found it, it's like legit several whacks, not the split second THINK ABOUT IT glimpse they put in the show - http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2016/10/leaked-walking-dead-alternate-footage-negan-killing-maggie

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'd say it's less that people care so much about Glenn, it's that they spent a lot of time on showing Maggie's reaction--and the actress did a great job with the scene. That's what was so disturbing (compared to other violent deaths in the show), it felt like we were all just watching her be tormented.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Buzkashi posted:

Found it, it's like legit several whacks, not the split second THINK ABOUT IT glimpse they put in the show - http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2016/10/leaked-walking-dead-alternate-footage-negan-killing-maggie

I think they might have filmed shots like that for all the cast to keep the outcome hidden

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Johnny Truant posted:

This violence is not unparalleled, people. We literally saw a dude get his face ripped off and eaten against a glass door. Rick hacked off his love interest's hand, pretty graphically. Denise got an arrow through her eye then comically kept on babbling whatever dumb poo poo she was talking about before for a few more seconds. Diabeetus girl got munched in front of our eyes, we saw our *~*protagonists*~* just squelching knives effortlessly into sleeping fools' heads.

This isn't anything new. I'd bet if you timed how long we saw Noah get munched on it'd be comparable to Glen's Sloth impression.

For me it was this: Glorified death by zombie and gore is expected (Noah, Dale) and ridiculous in an Ash vs. Evil Dead sense. It's one of the reasons the show is fun to watch, you know a lot of these people will get killed by zombies and it gives the show a wide variety of ways to do it.

The people lined up getting whacked and their throats cut in Terminus was disturbing but effective in it's cold calculated way. There was little to no taunting, the people weren't getting some sadistic thrill from it and it was kinda horrifying that they seemed to have done it many many times before to be that comfortable doing it. Herschel getting his head cut off was brutal but was over pretty quick and the people who watched fought back after it happened.

In my opinion the Negan baseball batting was drawn out and sadistic being done to two people for essentially an entire episode as their helpless friends watched, that's what made me think it was really poorly done and offensive. I could have stomached it easier if it was quicker, if literally anyone else in Negan's group said something about how Rick and his group murdered their friends in their sleep or even any of Rick or his little group acknowledged that what they did when they murdered those people was pretty hosed up and got them to where they were. Instead it felt way out of place for the show to suddenly become a "Saw" or "Hostile" type movie scene.

Nobody who disliked this episode is giving any poo poo to people who liked it but there is this group of you guys who keep feigning ignorance that any other people could possibly see it a different way. If you don't understand the other people's perspective after numerous people trying to explain it to you then maybe just drop it and stop calling people pussies and little bitches and lets get on with the thread and watching the show. I enjoy this thread more than the show sometimes because people here have interesting insights and things to say.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Buzkashi posted:

This would have made a huuuuuuuuge amount of people check out of the show if it was the canon storyline.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

JazzFlight posted:

This would have made a huuuuuuuuge amount of people check out of the show if it was the canon storyline.

Because of the gore or because it's maggie?

e: sorry can't read, you said canon jus nm

Hardawn fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 27, 2016

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Boner Zone posted:

Yall know yall are watching a gory zombie show right? heh heh

Except surprise: you're actually watching a daytime TV soap opera mixed with Dexter circa Season 7.

There are people who are shocked by the violence, but that's not really surprising since the show draws huge audiences. I'd guess that not since Buffy has a "horror" show been watched by so many people who actually have no interest in horror.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 27, 2016

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Luvcow posted:

Nobody who disliked this episode is giving any poo poo to people who liked it but there is this group of you guys who keep feigning ignorance that any other people could possibly see it a different way. If you don't understand the other people's perspective after numerous people trying to explain it to you then maybe just drop it and stop calling people pussies and little bitches and lets get on with the thread and watching the show. I enjoy this thread more than the show sometimes because people here have interesting insights and things to say.

Don't think I've called anyone in here a pussy or a little bitch for disliking the gore. I'm saying this gore isn't new, it's not unparalleled and it isn't unlike the show. Sure the circumstances that the gore came about because of are different but the literal gore itself is standard for what we've seen so far in TWD. :shrug:

Oh and don't get me wrong I think the whole thing was done poorly and that was a poo poo episode.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Johnny Truant posted:

Don't think I've called anyone in here a pussy or a little bitch for disliking the gore. I'm saying this gore isn't new, it's not unparalleled and it isn't unlike the show. Sure the circumstances that the gore came about because of are different but the literal gore itself is standard for what we've seen so far in TWD. :shrug:

Oh and don't get me wrong I think the whole thing was done poorly and that was a poo poo episode.

You haven't and i'm sorry if it seemed i was saying you have. There are people itt who have though and most of them i really enjoy their posts so i was trying to say it the nicest way i could.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Serf posted:

I think Glenn's death has upset more people because so many assumed he was "safe" for being such a long-running character that was well-liked. The makeup effect was disturbing (and good), but not really any grosser than the pustule-neck zombie, or Carol ripping off a zombie's scalp, or Rick pulling off a zombie's face along with its gasmask etc.

The most disturbing thing in the show for me is the part when Daryl just casually throws a zombie into the back of an open SUV and closes the hatch on its head. The sound and gore for some reason stick with me, I dunno why.

Let's also not forget the time Rick bit a guys throat out.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Let's also not forget the time Rick bit a guys throat out.

While there was no gore, I think Eugene now holds the title of Human Bitemaster after what he did to Dwight on the train tracks. I watched it happen and I still don't believe it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I gotta say Rick's kid whatever his name, is one of the stupidest characters on this show with that nerdy look and the stupid hat and the extremely bad haircut lmao

He wouldn't last 3 seconds in a real zombie apocalypse

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hardawn posted:

Because of the gore or because it's maggie?

e: sorry can't read, you said canon jus nm
Bashing an ill pregnant woman's skull into mush would have been a little too much, even for The Walking Dead.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

JazzFlight posted:

Bashing an ill pregnant woman's skull into mush would have been a little too much, even for The Walking Dead.

I dunno showing the fetus eat it's way out from the inside might beat that.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

I miss schlocky horror like that so much, back when horror was so over the top it was comedy gold. Is Ash vs Evil Dead like that?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

El Hefe posted:

I gotta say Rick's kid whatever his name, is one of the stupidest characters on this show with that nerdy look and the stupid hat and the extremely bad haircut lmao

He wouldn't last 3 seconds in a real zombie apocalypse

I don't believe that you can actually watch this show and not remember CORAL because his name is said so often (and badly) by Rick that it's an internet meme at this point.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

King Vidiot posted:

I don't believe that you can actually watch this show and not remember CORAL because his name is said so often (and badly) by Rick that it's an internet meme at this point.

The only names I know are Rick, Glenn and Daryl but tbh I only watch a couple episodes per season and don't think about it too much.

I think this show would be better if they actually tried new things but it seems that it's always the same "bad guy shows up and Rick or someone saves the day"

Something like this: http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/thewalkingdead at least would freshen things up a bit.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I don't think people cared that much about the gore, if they did they would've checked out long ago or would be arguing more about the zombo getting its head rip off with Rick hanging on. It the was stuttering and the long wait while he tried and eventually succeeded getting a sentence out all while being mocked that probably pushed people over the edge.

This show had some good high points its easy to forget its based on a lovely uninventive comic book adapted by hacks who work(ed) for AMC. To be fair, look at the esteemed Executive Producer's pedegree:

wikipedia posted:

NBC's Life (1.5 seasons)
Fox TV's Drive (6 episodes)
FlashForward (1 season)
co-wrote the script of Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm saying this gore isn't new, it's not unparalleled and it isn't unlike the show. Sure the circumstances that the gore came about because of are different but the literal gore itself is standard for what we've seen so far in TWD. :shrug:

Beep boop I am a computer beep boop I cannot understand that one of the principal members of the core group of characters getting gruesomely killed while the others are forced to watch causes some people to be more emotional than similar things happening to some random extras that just walked up beep boop your receipt is ready below please pick it up shutting down beep boop click.

The concept of a principal character or group of characters that people care about or even identify with seems to be totally foreign to some people here. I guess these people would be about as indifferent to their close family or themselves getting killed as one Goomba to another getting jumped on by Mario. Or they didn't buy into this show, which is totally fine, but it's still not exactly hard to figure out that IF someone is into this show, then what happened and HOW was kinda a big deal.

It's like me posting "I don't get why there's 22 people after this weird looking ball when could just buy one for themselves" about an NFL game.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 28, 2016

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

xxEightxx posted:

Has this ever happened in a horror movie? People are always like 'lol baby eating its way out of the womb'. Newborns have no teeth, so good luck with that.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Rhygezenguro posted:

I miss schlocky horror like that so much, back when horror was so over the top it was comedy gold. Is Ash vs Evil Dead like that?

Yes and you need to watch it now.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

LadyPictureShow posted:

Has this ever happened in a horror movie? People are always like 'lol baby eating its way out of the womb'. Newborns have no teeth, so good luck with that.

Oh yea, because the show is so on point with its adherence to physics with its muscleless and rogs less zombies.:downswords:

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Babies do have sharp nails so maybe they are shredding the flesh then swallowing it like noodle strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhygezenguro posted:

Evil bloodthirsty demon car, Ash gets stuck in a cadaver's rear end in a top hat, random hilarious beheadings and one liners.

It's fantastic.