Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Awesome! posted:

didnt we fix up your resume so you could get a less lovely job

I'm studying for my IT certs so that can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I'd think a reptilian sorcerer could easily find lucrative employment

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'd think a reptilian sorcerer could easily find lucrative employment

Yeah but who wants to get into politics

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

oddium posted:

if you're resigned to babysit it you should look up what psychopaths spawn during which hours and plot out a path to minmax food. it's more fun at least

Yeah I had the spawn schedule and food list ready. I was going between psychopaths, eating their food and then moving to another one once I cleared up more room for food. I had killed Larry and was safely perched on top of his fridge when I last left Frank and then I either fell down or failed to pause correctly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

It was pretty good in 2 because dual stance gave you way more options than the caestus in 1, but yeah I need to try out that weapon art.

Now I wanna see some insane souls savant pull off something like the Daigo Parry using Caestus in DS3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuA5we0RZU)

Did you still need 2 caestus in ds2? In ds3, 2-handing the caestus gives you one in each hand and makes your L1 a quick 1-2 combo. So you have 3 moves plus the hunter art weapon skill. So one less attack than power stance, but it's really good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

My game of the month is, surprisingly, Paper Mario Color Splash. Running around filling in colorless spots and solving problems for toads is far more fun than I thought it could be, and the writing is genuinely funny at times. The battles might not be as fun as they are in the Mario and Luigi games, but they've been really fun since I started messing around with the different types of cards instead of just spamming generic jumps and hammers.

it's super cute and I wish more people would give it a chance

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the dual-handing from one weapon is a 3 exclusive mechanic. 2 had powerstancing which was kinda goofy if you pumped your STR to the super high levels

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Yeah but who wants to get into politics

Put me on the ticket with that one homeless guy, I bet people would vote for Vermin Supreme and the Lizard Wizard.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'd go see that band

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Last Guardian is almost one month away from release?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The Last Guardian is almost one month away from release?

I'll believe it when I'm holding a physical copy of the game in my hands.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's another fun max payne 3 speedrun trick I just learned: The way the game gives you bullet time is way more complex than it seems. In Max Payne 1 and 2, you have to get kills to get bullet time (although 2 gives you a very small amount that regenerates). In 3, you gain bullet time from damaging enemies or being damaged yourself... but not killing enemies.

What happens is, when you shoot an enemy, the game gives you varying tiny amounts of bullet time based on where you shot them, with the head giving the most. Obviously if you kill an enemy you can't get any more bullet time from them, so it's actually beneficial to run around like a fuckin slow-mo vampire and blast dudes with shotguns and spray their chests with automatic guns, to gain as much bullet time from them as you can.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wouldn't being in bullet time so much make your run take longer

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I thought so at first, but surprisingly no! If the game's record-keeping were measured in real time it would, but there's a little quirk that changes things a bit. The timer that ticks up while you're in gameplay slows down to however slow the game is moving when you're in bullet time.

edit: Speedruns of MP3 on the normal difficulties are measured in real time since there's no loading screens etc, but New York Minute Hardcore has its own set of rules and it conveniently keeps its own time!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, shooting the kevlar enemies in the chest instead of headshotting them in Max Payne 3 pretty much fills your entire bullet time gauge. The things you notice after spending over a hundred hours with a game. :shepface:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Really you wanna be in bullet time as much as possible because Max takes like a third as much damage, which is really helpful in the later stages when enemies start carrying fuckoff revolvers that can down you in like 1 headshot if you're even a little hurt. Maybe someday I'll do a run of the normal game in non-NYM just to see what it's like because that's what I'd be doing if I were at AGDQ/SGDQ.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I just had a customer report me for dropping a singular dime that was part of her payment. Fast food, everybody!

:smith:

I try to be as nice as I can to the fast food employees around here, because that poo poo sucks. As a result I get all kinds of free stuff, just for being a decent human being. But like, I don't even deserve a reward for that poo poo, but that's just how lovely most people are to each other; people are surprised when you just use basic courtesy.

I'm kinda drunk...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there still a games recommendation thread? I'm gonna be stuck in a hotel room for a month and I want a bunch of games that aren't just time spenders like Civ

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

signalnoise posted:

Is there still a games recommendation thread? I'm gonna be stuck in a hotel room for a month and I want a bunch of games that aren't just time spenders like Civ

I recommend https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3196783

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I've been playing the Dying Light DLC that came out earlier this year and I have such mixed feelings on it. It boils down to the fact that to accommodate the awesome driving they added in, they had to design the new area with lots of flat ground and roads, which massively cuts down on the awesome parkour that made the base game so enjoyable.

I understand the design decision to not give you a "car, please teleport next to me so I don't have to run all the way to you" button considering the kind of setting it is and how a lot of the gameplay is about traversing dangerous mobs of zombies, but I still really wish there was one. You can get pretty loving far from the buggy while dicking around on foot.

Oh, and the writing remains maybe the worst I've ever seen in a AAA game.
I think I hated it, actually. Not just that but it seemed real easy to get stuck on objects (Welp, that haystack is non-destructible. Oh, another near-hidden rock near a ramp. Great, more forest between the other side of the mountain). And they made the running zombies more annoying to emphasize driving.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

:smith:

I try to be as nice as I can to the fast food employees around here, because that poo poo sucks. As a result I get all kinds of free stuff, just for being a decent human being. But like, I don't even deserve a reward for that poo poo, but that's just how lovely most people are to each other; people are surprised when you just use basic courtesy.

I'm kinda drunk...

being nice to people is a good way for them to "accidentally" upsize your food for you, or throw you an extra burger or whatever.
It's kind of hosed up when you realize that they're rewarding you for acting like a decent person.

GUI posted:

Yeah, shooting the kevlar enemies in the chest instead of headshotting them in Max Payne 3 pretty much fills your entire bullet time gauge. The things you notice after spending over a hundred hours with a game. :shepface:

look man he's called "max payne" not "little to no pain due to instant death caused by a headshot"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

look man he's called "max payne" not "little to no pain due to instant death caused by a headshot"

I am stealing this for my commentary in the next WR video where I explain the bullet time thing, thank you

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Max Payne, more like....Tax Grain!!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Max Payne, more like....Tax Grain!!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I really like Battlefield 1. Basically if you thought to yourself 'I'd like to play some next gen World at War singleplayer and Battlefield 1942 multiplayer' then it's both. Multiplayer matches with a good squad are so satisfying. Also tanks where everybody has a turret.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"It's a big burden, to be honest," David Cage continued. "I've just finished the script for Detroit. It took me more than two years, and that's working around six days a week. It's probably 20 times more complex than anything we've ever done. It's a lot for one brain to handle.

lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To be fair to David cage, writing the script for games like his probably is hell just for the sheer minutiae of little dialog changes and stuff. To be fair to the rest of the world, David cage is a poo poo writer

edit: Of course, most of said minutiae usually boils down to

quote:

*brought your coworker a soda* Hey, you brought one for me too, thanks!

You: You're welcome / Yeah whatever

or

quote:

*only got one for yourself* Aww, where's mine?

You: Sorry I didn't think about it / I don't like you very much

so it's probably not as difficult as he says it is, but it does still make every conversation you write a logic puzzle to unravel in a way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 27, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hard work putting all those petite brunettes and shower scenes in one script.

Did he watch Bladerunner yet?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
*brought your robot android co-worker a soda* Hey, thanks!

You: Whatever we're all going to die anyway / What is your opinion on robot race relations

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quest For Glory II posted:

"It's a big burden, to be honest," David Cage continued. "I've just finished the script for Detroit. It took me more than two years, and that's working around six days a week. It's probably 20 times more complex than anything we've ever done. It's a lot for one brain to handle.

lol
This clearly means it must be 20 times better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

This clearly means it must be 20 times better.

20 times 0 is still 0 my man

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i want to play lt commander data, p.i.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CJacobs posted:

20 times 0 is still 0 my man
Also it's still not certain what exactly he spent those 2 years on because:

quote:

But David Cage is afraid. He’s afraid because he has spent the last 12 months looking at pictures of Ellen Page. In his studio a 2000 page script lies scattered with images of Ellen from the age of eight through to adulthood. What if the actress he’s about to meet bears no resemblance to the character he has spent the last year crafting?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you look at David Cage's writing desk with a UV light you'll see exactly what he's been working on.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

My WiiU is fixed again so it's back to Paper Mario Color Splash!

So far it's probably my favorite Paper Mario for writing and visuals but the combat isn't amazing, battles are quick though so it's not a slog to run through them or anything.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I had to Google that quote to see if it was real. Why would someone admit to this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This quote can't be real. David Cage is more creepy then I imagined.

[edit]

.... :smith: http://kotaku.com/the-video-game-that-began-with-pictures-of-ellen-page-1440500148

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'David Cage can’t remember the Google search that brought him here but, instantly, a spark. This was it. Ellen Page: his protagonist. His Jodie Holmes before Jodie Holmes existed.'

loving lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

and i suppose you remember every google search?? perfect google search memory over here??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

'David Cage can’t remember the Google search that brought him here

"pregnancy movies"

• Locked thread