Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus christ this thread. Shut it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
A certain poster was ranting about how all prequels are bad because they alter the originals. The same poster is excited about seeing Rogue One, a noted prequel.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

A certain poster was ranting about how all prequels are bad because they alter the originals. The same poster is excited about seeing Rogue One, a noted prequel.

you wouldn't know quality if it shat on your face

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

you wouldn't know quality if it shat on your face

So since you do know quality, you'll be able to admit if Rogue One commits the worst of all cinema sins, which is to retroactively change the originals, right?

I'm anxious to hear your review.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

So since you do know quality, you'll be able to admit if Rogue One commits the worst of all cinema sins, which is to retroactively change the originals, right?

yeah, but it'll be good change made by competent filmmakers and has nothing to do with george lucas nor the prequel trilogy

therefore it will be good

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

rear end Catchcum posted:

Don't make fun of rud or he'll bring his nan into the mix.
(gravely whisper) my grandmudda ... gave me this accent

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

yeah, but it'll be good change made by competent filmmakers and has nothing to do with george lucas nor the prequel trilogy

Man, and here I thought Gareth Edwards was good, rather than merely competent.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

No, you see Rogue One will be good because it's a good movie while the Phantom Menace et al are bad because they're bad movies.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

No, you see Rogue One will be good because it's a good movie while the Phantom Menace et al are bad because they're bad movies.

now you get it

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

Man, and here I thought Gareth Edwards was good, rather than merely competent.

maybe being good requires one to be competent????

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Rogue One has a decent shot at being the first good Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hell, you know, this Battle of Algiers picture is okay.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

Hell, you know, this Battle of Algiers picture is okay.

what do you even know about gillo pontecorvo you tasteless mook

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

now you get it

Just out of curiosity, since I've been reading a lot your posts in this thread recently,

Could you give me a list of your top five non-Star Wars sci fi films of all-time? They don't have to be ranked or anything, just a list of about 5 films that you consider the best of the best. I'm interested in what your general taste is within the genre. I won't poo poo on your list or anything, this really is just a friendly request out of genuine curiosity. I did the same thing in the horror thread not too long ago and I think it helped me understand the poster a lot better.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Just out of curiosity, since I've been reading a lot your posts in this thread recently,

Could you give me a list of your top five non-Star Wars sci fi films of all-time? They don't have to be ranked or anything, just a list of about 5 films that you consider the best of the best. I'm interested in what your general taste is within the genre. I won't poo poo on your list or anything, this really is just a friendly request out of genuine curiosity. I did the same thing in the horror thread not too long ago and I think it helped me understand the poster a lot better.

Lemme give this some thought because nobodys asked me this before

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

what do you even know about gillo pontecorvo you tasteless mook

You'll just have to live with the fact that a drat dirty prequeler likes a movie you think is great.

You know what else is a decent movie? Tokyo monogatari.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

porfiria posted:

Rogue One has a decent shot at being the first good Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back.

Nah, that was Return of the Jedi.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think every single Star Wars movie has been good, with the exception of ESB, which is legitimately great. None of the others have been great or bad, they're all somewhere in the middle.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so I love a fuckin ton of sci fi and its hard to pick top 5 but here's my best shot:

Alien
Bladerunner (specifically the final cut)
Ghost in The Shell
The Fifth Element

I'm super conflicted about this list though so I just wanna mention:

Upstream Color
The Thing
Robotcop
Starship Troopers
Gattaca
Close Encounters
Star Trek 4 and 6
Aliens
Terminator 1 and 2
Moon
Snowpiercer
The Color

I probably missed a bunch but that encapsulates my favorite sci fi

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I would agree with that tho I think parts of Jedi fuckin rock.

Also is prequeler ok or racist?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Your mom didn't mind being called that last night, but it's only because she came before me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z84-rRE

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Rud you're fuckin wild dude I love it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Phi230 posted:

So why did you even bring up all that poo poo about recontextualizing previously told stories if it doesn't matter?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

If you like or don't like a movie, your feelings are not wrong. If you try to correlate your opinion with a metric of quality, however, your argument can definitely be wrong.

This is where a lot of prequel haters stumble I think. I enjoy watching the prequels, but much less than the OT for sure, and some parts I really dislike. But they are great to talk about, with a lot of depth that I was only vaguely aware of before reading the threads here in CineD. And while I have gotten food for thought, that doesn't make the visceral experience of watching them all that different to me. There's a lot of things in the prequels that I would've rather been done differently.

Well, ok, so what. I'm here to read and have discussion about cinema, not people's feelings about cinema or counterfactuals. "I don't like them" isn't really conducive to discussion, and can in fact be independent of reading and analysis of the films.

Also, Tezzor, The Fifth Element? You're kidding me with this one, because that has everything you hate about the prequels except being literally Star Wars or a prequel.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah I will for sure admit reading the thread has made me view the films differently but I still wish we got different movies and they didn't exist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yeah I will for sure admit reading the thread has made me view the films differently but I still wish we got different movies and they didn't exist.

Then your actual beef is with reality itself. And with reality as your enemy, you are 'freed' to write anything. Randomness. Memes.

Actual freedom comes from writing truthfully and accurately. Without these, you allow yourself to be manipulated.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I like ESB because Luke trains with a puppet for like a week and then goes to defeat Darth Vader by himself. Why didn't Gender Master Yoda go with him? He just showed how powerful he is when he lifted a starship with his mind!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Double

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

UmOk posted:

I like ESB because Luke trains with a puppet for like a week and then goes to defeat Darth Vader by himself. Why didn't Gender Master Yoda go with him? He just showed how powerful he is when he lifted a starship with his mind!

Actually it was more like 6 months or so, but this isn't really spelled out anywhere in the film itself.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UmOk posted:

He's too old, and it's not his fight anymore. It's not even his role to be a fighter.

It's the same reason Ben lets Darth kill him. It was partially as a distraction, but it was equally as much a message to Luke that he has to learn to stand on his own and fight (or choose not to fight) his own battles.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

UmOk posted:

Gender Master Yoda

I wish this was an actual rank in the Jedi Order.

Serf
May 5, 2011

UmOk posted:

This made me choke on my coffee. Bravo.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

He's too old, and it's not his fight anymore. It's not even his role to be a fighter.

It's the same reason Ben lets Darth kill him. It was partially as a distraction, but it was equally as much a message to Luke that he has to learn to stand on his own and fight (or choose not to fight) his own battles.

Hmm, crush him, I could, with a wave of my hand. But my fight, this is not. No longer my role is it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

UmOk posted:

Hmm, crush him, I could, with a wave of my hand. But my fight, this is not. No longer my role is it.

That's prequel Yoda speaking, he wasn't talking complete gibberish in the OT.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UmOk posted:

I don't think he could actually do that, for one. It's always been implicitly established in the films that using Force techniques on a living opponent, especially another Force user, isn't as easy as it looks. Otherwise Luke could have just Force choked the Emperor to death. Or Vader could have just instantly crushed Ben's head during their fight in A New Hope.

Lucas suggests there's a battle of wills going on behind the scenes of every swordfight, even though you only really see the physical aspect of it:

The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back posted:

“Earlier, Luke talks to Ben; when he brings him up as a ghost, we portend what is going to happen. Ben says, ‘Vader has more power than you can imagine. When he and I met, we fought on such a level that there didn’t appear to be much of a battle; it appeared to be a swordfight, but it was a battle of our wills that was really going on in the beyond.’ I’d like to make it into a battle (which we did in the Alan Dean Foster book, which is what I wanted to do in the first one with Ben and Vader) with lightning or electrical bolts, and throwing things around the room; an Exorcist kind of battle where you can bring all kinds of supernatural powers to bear. We’ll have Ben say, ‘Vader couldn’t use his supernatural powers against me, because I was too strong; he had to rely on brute force, which wasn’t of any value, because I was too advanced for that, so everything he did to me was useless.’

The reason Vader is able to bring his Force powers to bear and throw things at Luke during their battle in ESB is because Luke's will isn't as powerful as his, so he can't block Vader from doing those things--at least not as well as someone equal to Vader in power would be able to.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thematic issues aside, Yoda is never shown to be powerful enough of a fighter that we should think he can just waltz into the Death Star and take out the Emperor and Vader. He lost a one on one fight to the Emperor already, so why should we assume he can now take both him and Vader?

He's also incredibly frail physically by the time Luke meets him, and its only like a year after the events of ESB that he dies of extreme old age.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

This is where a lot of prequel haters stumble I think. I enjoy watching the prequels, but much less than the OT for sure, and some parts I really dislike. But they are great to talk about, with a lot of depth that I was only vaguely aware of before reading the threads here in CineD. And while I have gotten food for thought, that doesn't make the visceral experience of watching them all that different to me. There's a lot of things in the prequels that I would've rather been done differently.

Well, ok, so what. I'm here to read and have discussion about cinema, not people's feelings about cinema or counterfactuals. "I don't like them" isn't really conducive to discussion, and can in fact be independent of reading and analysis of the films.

Also, Tezzor, The Fifth Element? You're kidding me with this one, because that has everything you hate about the prequels except being literally Star Wars or a prequel.

There actually hasn't been an original thought on the prequels in the Star Wars threads in quite sometime. It's all been just repeating things already talked about and going full circle once a week.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

I said come in! posted:

There actually hasn't been an original thought on the prequels in the Star Wars threads in quite sometime. It's all been just repeating things already talked about and going full circle once a week.

I would argue that the post I made a couple pages back had at least several original thoughts in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

I would argue that the post I made a couple pages back had at least several original thoughts in it.

Joseph Campbell probably had them first. :(

• Locked thread