Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
New Wovenwar seems pretty good so far. These dudes definitely know how to write songs (most of them are from As I Lay Dying so I guess that's not a surprise).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HEY THERE'S A NEW DESTRAGE ALBUM OUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc4vmOjf7Ps

I don't even remember where I first heard of these guys but they're unbelievable. Their last album was all over the place as far as style, so hopefully this new one meets the same high bar.

Here's a song off their last album and both the song and the video are honestly one of my all-time favorite metal songs, period. There's a fair amount of Dillinger Escape Plan influence in here, so if you're a fan give it a listen. (or just watch the video on mute if you want to see an Italian metal band dress up as zombies and run an endurance/obstacle course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SOEKCWafsg

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 27, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

New Wovenwar seems pretty good so far. These dudes definitely know how to write songs (most of them are from As I Lay Dying so I guess that's not a surprise).

They're basically As I Lay Dying with a new singer right? (since the old one tried to have his wife killed by a hitman or whatever) Sort of like how Lostprophets have that new thing with the guy from Thursday doing vocals.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

They're basically As I Lay Dying with a new singer right? (since the old one tried to have his wife killed by a hitman or whatever) Sort of like how Lostprophets have that new thing with the guy from Thursday doing vocals.

Yep. Shane Blay from Oh, Sleeper.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Kelp Me! posted:

HEY THERE'S A NEW DESTRAGE ALBUM OUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc4vmOjf7Ps

I don't even remember where I first heard of these guys but they're unbelievable. Their last album was all over the place as far as style, so hopefully this new one meets the same high bar.

Here's a song off their last album and both the song and the video are honestly one of my all-time favorite metal songs, period. There's a fair amount of Dillinger Escape Plan influence in here, so if you're a fan give it a listen. (or just watch the video on mute if you want to see an Italian metal band dress up as zombies and run an endurance/obstacle course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SOEKCWafsg

Thanks for this. I had no idea they had anything new in the works. Destrage is amazing, but I can only listen to them if I'm in in the absolute perfect mood for them. They're just so loving all over the place, but in a good way. The new album feels less scattered.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
New UABB is up, and it is extremely my poo poo. Already a lot more into it than their last tape. But if don't like this band, this one's not gonna change your mind so don't bother. Sample lyric: "With one hand holding my dick, I say "gently caress you if you don't like it" Talked by many, hated by some. Guess how many fucks I give? 3, 2, none"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

What the gently caress is UABB?

e: Oh this? Yeah this sucks.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 29, 2016

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is it this "Honor is Dead" stream I found on YouTube? This is really pitiful, boring music.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

Is it this "Honor is Dead" stream I found on YouTube? This is really pitiful, boring music.

Yeah that's the one

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I know I spew off really negative commentary on a lot of stuff in this thread. But AILD used to write some really loving heavy, crushing, yet melodic and musically adept stuff. I remember catching them live a small handful of times and it was always really more insane than you'd think from listening to their albums.

This new album sounds like wannabe last-album Underoath which was really bad. Shame.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I know I spew off really negative commentary on a lot of stuff in this thread.

No worries. You're such a loving idiot that your slagging off a band I like always just reaffirms to me that I was right about how good and cool they are.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Some new Zao tracks:

http://www.revolvermag.com/artist-music-song-premieres/zao-premieres-new-song-observedobserver/22545
http://www.metalinjection.net/av/song-premiere/zao-unleash-a-well-intentioned-virus-onto-an-unsuspecting-world

I thought Observed/Observer was okay, but the title track is pretty rockin'. The Xenophobe/Fear Itself single is still better than both IMO though.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Slim is the most negative man alive but I agree with him that AILD-Lite is really some low energy uninspired fuckboy poo poo

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Well I think we can all agree that the Serpentine Dominion album owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjrJv2L-7rA

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Beelzebozo posted:

No worries. You're such a loving idiot that your slagging off a band I like always just reaffirms to me that I was right about how good and cool they are.

You can disagree with me all you want, numbnuts. But the music you like is bad, and music like this has actual balls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ9JVxQVQy4

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

You can disagree with me all you want, numbnuts. But the music you like is bad

When I first joined the forums, half your posts were telling people the music they liked was bad and the other half were making GBS threads on people for not being straight-edge. Somewhere on a hard drive in a folder full of decades old image macros I have a pic of you with big black Xs on your hands shouting into the mic of some Good Clean Fun type sXe hardcore band. Then one day you "lost the edge" and the next week you were already making GBS threads on people for being straight-edge. Everybody hated you. And judging by your title things haven't much changed. You're the worst kind of person. I don't care what music you like or what you think of music I like. Just be less of a shithead once in a while, you worthless clown. Or literally kill yourself. That would be fine too.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The vast majority of the stuff posted in this thread is "Meh" to me at best, but I just keep my music-making GBS threads comments to myself, and join in to talk more about what I like that others like. Seemed like almost everyone else in the thread is that way too.

Hell, most of the world thinks all of our music tastes are absolute garbage. No reason to go around making GBS threads on ourselves too.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
lol, just lol if you don't listen to the correct music, like me

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

xZAOx posted:

The vast majority of the stuff posted in this thread is "Meh" to me at best, but I just keep my music-making GBS threads comments to myself, and join in to talk more about what I like that others like. Seemed like almost everyone else in the thread is that way too.

Hell, most of the world thinks all of our music tastes are absolute garbage. No reason to go around making GBS threads on ourselves too.

the new ZAO single was pretty rad

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

xZAOx posted:

I pretty much come to this thread to talk about Dillinger and ETID because most metalcore styles I like barely exist anymore. If I offered my opinion every time I would be almost as annoying as Shooga.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Beelzebozo posted:

When I first joined the forums, half your posts were telling people the music they liked was bad and the other half were making GBS threads on people for not being straight-edge. Somewhere on a hard drive in a folder full of decades old image macros I have a pic of you with big black Xs on your hands shouting into the mic of some Good Clean Fun type sXe hardcore band. Then one day you "lost the edge" and the next week you were already making GBS threads on people for being straight-edge. Everybody hated you. And judging by your title things haven't much changed. You're the worst kind of person. I don't care what music you like or what you think of music I like. Just be less of a shithead once in a while, you worthless clown. Or literally kill yourself. That would be fine too.

drat, dude. Why the hell do you even remember any of that? I joined these forums in 2001. It's 2016. Things change. Get over it.

I come on these forums to discuss things I like and this is one of very very few threads I bother to post in anymore. Everyone's a dickhead on the SA forums, isn't that what they're for? Anyway, I tell my IRL friends (maybe a shocker for you) all the time about how much the stuff they like sucks. The stuff I like sucks, too. Don't be so sensitive.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

Don't tell people to kill themselves, even if they are the physical embodiment of the douchey hardcore kid who goes to metal shows and won't shut the gently caress up about how much better hardcore is

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

It is 100% crazy as gently caress to get that mad about a guys posts from the internet

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Also, that photo of me he's talking about is me singing into the mic held by the outstretched hand of Mike Score from All Out War. The world's greatest metal hardcore crossover band. And that was at New Jersey Metal and Hardcore Fest back in like 2003. I was doing jagerbombs all weekend, well past my sxe phase.

I'm sorry I said the music you liked wasn't good if you're that upset about it. These are all just opinions of people we'll never meet. Fans of music that we discuss in this thread occupy a mental space different from lots of other people out there. Most people don't "get" shows and moshing and screaming incomprehensible lyrics into a mic. They don't know what it's like to drive 4 hours (or more) to see some band play in front of 30 kids. They just wait for their super megastar favorite popstar to play their local big stadium place and pay 200 bucks to sit in a seat 100 yards away. I may rip on you for liking a band I think is weak, but I respect you for being part of the same "clique" as me. So lighten up and bang your head to whatever the gently caress you want brah.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Got disassembled at ETID tonight. They warned me to check my coat and I shoulda, almost lost it along with my hat. Strap it down if you're gonna be anywhere near the stage at one of their shows. Also, their Halloween gag was pretty funny.

https://twitter.com/everytimeidie/status/793265114459897865

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hot take : I agree with Shooga sometimes and disagree with him others, but don't let it bother me because taste is subjective

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tell us about breaking edge dude, legit

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

nerve posted:

agreed

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

oh man the new Code Orange single is nuts

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

nerve posted:

If you're not still listening to Violent Sleep of Reason every day like me you might as well be listening to, oh I don't know, Maroon 5 or some bullshit.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the new a7x is, surprisingly, good?? what the gently caress??

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moundgarden posted:

the new a7x is, surprisingly, good?? what the gently caress??

ehh, it's not aggressively terrible like the last few (although I'll always lol at that one song they did with Mike Portnoy that directly led to him getting kicked out of Dream Theater), but they'll never come close to City of Evil (and another Waking the Fallen or Sounding the Seventh Trumpet is sadly beyond a pipe dream)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Other bands that took a massive nosedive after their first 2-3 albums:

Trivium

All That Remains

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Kelp Me! posted:

ehh, it's not aggressively terrible like the last few (although I'll always lol at that one song they did with Mike Portnoy that directly led to him getting kicked out of Dream Theater), but they'll never come close to City of Evil (and another Waking the Fallen or Sounding the Seventh Trumpet is sadly beyond a pipe dream)

It's their best since City of Evil for sure, which is a step in the right direction especially after the abortion that was Hail to the King. The drumming on the album was just totally uninspired and I'm glad that guy got kicked out after just the one album

Kelp Me! posted:

Trivium

I maintain that In Waves is their best album, but otherwise yeah I agree. Vengeance Falls is one of the most disappointing releases I ever heard and Silence in the Snow wasn't a hell of a lot better

Kelp Me! posted:

All That Remains

:agreed: though I think Overcome and For We Are Many aren't as bad as most people seem to think. Fall of Ideals was peak ATR for sure though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moundgarden posted:

It's their best since City of Evil for sure, which is a step in the right direction especially after the abortion that was Hail to the King. The drumming on the album was just totally uninspired and I'm glad that guy got kicked out after just the one album

I'll give it a shot, I heard the single on the radio (The Stage I think) and it was kind of meh. Looking it up though, turns out the new drummer is ex-Bad Religion Brooks Wackerman which is pretty sweet (it also led me to the fact that Bad Religion put out a Christmas album which just :psyboom:)

Moundgarden posted:

I maintain that In Waves is their best album, but otherwise yeah I agree. Vengeance Falls is one of the most disappointing releases I ever heard and Silence in the Snow wasn't a hell of a lot better

Honestly Crusade and Shogun were such garbage I wrote them off completely. Ember and Ascendancy were loving awesome and then homeboy blew out his scream and they turned into a clone of Death Magnetic-era Metallica.

Moundgarden posted:

:agreed: though I think Overcome and For We Are Many aren't as bad as most people seem to think. Fall of Ideals was peak ATR for sure though.

This Darkened Heart is my personal favorite, but Fall of Ideals was like the epitome of metalcore IMO, perfect blend of heavy and catchy/poppy. Again, I wasn't a fan of what I heard off Overcome or FWAM so I kind of tuned them out.

I'm not necessarily saying that all 3 bands got worse as the screaming vocals lessened, just happens to be a coincidence in this case (I love newer Opeth, BTBAM and Protest the Hero for example)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
^^^^^E: Shogun is their best album you're a crazy person

Shogun is peak Trivium, everything after that has ranged from meh to Oh god please no stop

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Shogun was nothing special to me, though I do like The Crusade. In Waves is their closest album to Ascendancy so if you never even gave it a shot I think you should, you might be surprised.

I dunno what it is about Shogun though. So many say its their favorite but I try to listen to it and I'm bored after 10 minutes tops

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

There is a STARK contrast between cock-rock bands like Trivium, All That Remains, Avenged Sevenfold, and actual deathcore/metalcore bands like The Acacia Strain, Unearth, Veil of Maya, etc.

That's the reason I voice my opinion so aggressively. The aforementioned bands are soft like a limp jellyfish in comparison. Isn't the heavy metal/dadrock thread better for these types?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moundgarden posted:

Shogun was nothing special to me, though I do like The Crusade. In Waves is their closest album to Ascendancy so if you never even gave it a shot I think you should, you might be surprised.

I dunno what it is about Shogun though. So many say its their favorite but I try to listen to it and I'm bored after 10 minutes tops

:agreed: completely on Shogun, I'll give In Waves a shot though. I was under the impression that Matt Heafy stopped screaming entirely after blowing out his voice like the guy from A7X, but I guess that's not the case?

I will admit that my opinion of them is diminished somewhat from when I saw them tour for Ascendancy - both Matt and Corey came out wearing Trivium shirts and Matt went on a long boring rant about how he was playing DIMEBAG DARRELL'S GUITAR and how great Dimebag and Pantera were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

There is a STARK contrast between cock-rock bands like Trivium, All That Remains, Avenged Sevenfold, and actual deathcore/metalcore bands like The Acacia Strain, Unearth, Veil of Maya, etc.

That's the reason I voice my opinion so aggressively. The aforementioned bands are soft like a limp jellyfish in comparison. Isn't the heavy metal/dadrock thread better for these types?

lol Unearth is much closer to old ATR than Acacia Strain or Veil. Also have you even heard the newest Veil album?

don't get me wrong I love all 3 of those bands but just loving lol at "actual deathcore/metalcore bands"