Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zaphod42 posted:

Why? Because the N64 can't render very many polygons? Huh?
No, you dingus. It's because the general look of the Popeye SD models is supremely something that would be at place in an N64 game. Especially since they reflect a growth of the emotive range that was present in the sprites in FFVI (basically big vaudeville mime actions).
Plus it would, like, make sense that they would say "We can pretty much just reuse these design assets and maybe change them later guys". That seems like a lazy Squaresoft thing to do.

quote:

FF8 was on PS1, are you talking about a tech demo or something?
Lol. Everyone laugh at the newb that didn't know about the Eyes on Me Tech Demo

Yeah, Square basically said "Remember when we tried to do an anime version of that scene from Beauty and the Beast? Check out how nice it would be on the Ps2, taking advantage of all the increased texture memory and antialiasing graphics stuff. Looks amazing right? Oh, we forgot to mention it's not a prerendered movie, but an actual in-engine live render. :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

RZA Encryption posted:

This gonna be nerdy af and very specific, but does anyone have a youtube playlist of "christmasy"(or just wintery) sounding video game music? I'm listening to "White Land" on the F-Zero soundtrack and it's making me want to listen to some seasonally appropriate VGM.

I made one a few years ago

Some of the videos have been deleted and I forgot what songs they were, but it's a good start. Not in any particular order, you're probably just as well off hitting shuffle.

I also made a few Halloween ones: one where I pretty much threw in everything, and then a couple that basically divide that list between silly/uptempo/melodic and spooky/atmospheric, depending on if you want tunes or want to set the mood for trick or treaters/a nerdy haunted house. I have not revised any of them in ages.

HECKOWEEN

Shadow Hog posted:

I don't, but I could name a few tracks to get you started on making your own, should needs must:

I may have to go add some of these to my list!

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 26, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Winter's theme from Earthbound is also a great Christmasy track.

Actually, I recall a goon putting a playlist together during the days of filez forums. Maybe someone still has that kicking around.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kid Fenris posted:

Nah, they're fun. And they're certainly no shallower than the majority of games mentioned here without criticism.
I was gonna say, that seems like a weird thing to say in the retrogames thread.

Although yeah at this point skip 1-3 unless you're really interested in the development of the series and/or invested in being able to say you played all the Final Fantasy games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
M2 Does Ridiculous poo poo Chronicles, Chapter 69: they're updating their Power Drift 3DS port with a secondary mode that lets you play as these gaming juggernauts:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hey if we're talking about music that fits moods, I'm always up for more suggestions for my Earth Defense Force playlists. Doesn't have to be video game music. just something that would probably be fun to shoot bugs to! I have two versions and they each have slightly different things due to reasons.

Spotify version

Youtube version

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Light Gun Man posted:

Hey if we're talking about music that fits moods, I'm always up for more suggestions for my Earth Defense Force playlists. Doesn't have to be video game music. just something that would probably be fun to shoot bugs to! I have two versions and they each have slightly different things due to reasons.

Spotify version

Youtube version
I was going to suggest "Them" by 90s Misfits, but I see that's already on there so have Michale Graves' "Earth vs. Spider" instead. (sorry if this is already on the Spotify playlist, the ancient version of Spotify I'm using is having some issues with it)

As for winter-themed game music, I really like "Snowflakes" from Persona 4 Golden.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 26, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

RZA Encryption posted:

This gonna be nerdy af and very specific, but does anyone have a youtube playlist of "christmasy"(or just wintery) sounding video game music? I'm listening to "White Land" on the F-Zero soundtrack and it's making me want to listen to some seasonally appropriate VGM.

BGM from various snowy levels I can think of:

Metroid Prime - Phendrana Drifts
World of Warcraft - Dun Morogh
Mushihimesama Futari - Sea of Frozen Crystals (Stage 2) [this whole OST is bonkers good]
Secret of Mana - A Wish
Final Fantasy VI - The Mines of Narshe

I would like to suggest Deathsmiles II, since the theme is horror-Christmas, but the music doesn't really sound Christmasy, except for some bells in the boss intro.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Which is why I love playing FF7 on PC modded so the battle screen models are used on the field map too. It looks so good.

wait wait WHAT

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Allen Wren posted:

wait wait WHAT

Yeah, it's actually only weird in a few cutscenes, where the animations clearly don't match.

Then it becomes hilarious. Lemme see if I can find the pictures...

It doesn't show well in stills, but the ghost model is flipping the gently caress out in this scene, turning in on itself and flailing wildly.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks that gives me a great place to start.

Realize that the Everdrive let's you just copy Roms on to it, the cheap Chinese things require you to run some lovely windows app to patch each ROM in some special way to make then run.

Or so nice heard, my lovely romcart got lost in the mail from China so now I'm contemplating the Everdrive since it.. exists.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

RZA Encryption posted:

The Croc: Legend of the Gobbos Snow Island levels have my favourite Christmassy game soundtrack. (To be honest, it's one of my favourite game soundtracks in general).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNdUjFeE9vk

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Spotify version

Youtube version

My only suggestion re: what you have already is "dump Robot Rock for the way-better tune Daft Punk looped the main riff of and then everyone else acted like they're geniuses."

(I like DP but goddamn is that tune fuckin' lazy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVfZAZdIUs

I'd link it on spotify, but it's not on there.

Here's some other poo poo that you may like or may not like that sounds good loud, pulled mostly at random from my stuff---and the longer this list goes, I'm finding a large chunk of it is basically everything I was listening to on the regular in 2005, so have a huge wad of stupid music poo poo.

Bouncing Souls - True Believers
Queens of the Stone Age - Infinity
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Probot - Dictatosaurus (f. Snake from Voivod)
Run the Jewels - Talk to Me
POLYSICS - Buggie Technica
Pink Floyd - The Nile Song
Atmosphere - Cats Van Bags (f. Brother Ali)
Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street
Dinosaur Jr - I Ain't Sayin'
Strapping Young Lad - Zen
Cold Cave - The Great Pan is Dead
VNV Nation - Perpetual
Adrian Belew - Ampersand (f. Les Claypool & Danny Carey)
Sepultura - Territory
Heems - Computers
Beastie Boys - Off the Grid
The Bar-Kays - Coldblooded
The All Mighty Senators - Giant Steps
Van Der Graf Generator - Theme One

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah, it's actually only weird in a few cutscenes, where the animations clearly don't match.

Then it becomes hilarious. Lemme see if I can find the pictures...

It doesn't show well in stills, but the ghost model is flipping the gently caress out in this scene, turning in on itself and flailing wildly.

fantastic

you got a link handy?

hexwren fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 26, 2016

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Allen Wren posted:

fantastic

you got a link handy?

Pick and choose, mate. I think I used a pack but most of this will tell you if it'll gently caress with something else.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Never played it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thorsilver posted:

The only ones I can find on Ebay though are Chinese off-brand ones, and when I tried one of those 'extended batteries' for my PSP the charge was literally about 20 minutes.

Are there some knockoff batteries that are actually good that I should be looking for?

Every battery you're going to find these days is going to be a chinese off-brand. Nintendo of America's online store still sells replacement DS Lite batteries, but they just recently stopped selling regular DS batteries (so they might just be running down their remaining stock of DS lite batteries), and I'm not sure if they'll ship to where you are. And I can't seem to find anything older than for the 3DS on the Nintendo UK online store.

The battery in my DS Lite right now is a random no-name battery off of ebay that I got a few years back for what it's worth, and seems to be fine in battery life - i got a deal on the DS Lite itself because it was missing a battery, and I still came out ahead on cost.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RZA Encryption posted:

Boogie Wings has a Christmas themed level that even culminates in battling a giant evil Santa with some appropriate music. It has a super happy soundtrack in general with several songs that would fit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeF5c-OBZ8o

Also play Crusader: No Regret between during the last week of December and it plays Christmas music instead of the regular soundtrack. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uejvBkXtGmM

Finally check out the music in Secret of Mana during the part where the heroes have to band together to destroy the evil "Master Santa" demon and rescue the real Santa Claus. :D

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shadow Hog posted:

Never played it.

Fix that, it's the best racing game on N64.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

RZA Encryption posted:

I listen to the Secret of Evermore soundtrack around Christmas every year. It has a lot of tinkly bells and feels appropriate imo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Allen Wren posted:

wait wait WHAT

There's a LOT of mods for FFVII on PC, which is really cool. However most of them, being fan mods, are a mess. Lots of people take extremely high poly models pulled from other games or recreated based on the Advent Children version of Cloud, which looks pretty cool... except then your party models look amazing and everything in the game world looks terrible by comparison. There's no consistency. And its a problem even within the party, cloud is super high rez, then aeris is rendered with a cartoony style, then tifa is some other proportions, it looks like garbage.

So I don't use those model replacement mods, but there are other mods that just replace the world models with the field models, and since those were still part of the original game design, they don't clash at all, they fit right in. The only issue is that NPCs that only appear on the world map still look popeye-arms, but its not too bad really.

So like in the intro, Cloud and Barett look amazing, but Biggs and Wedge look bad. But it still fits pretty well, its not nearly as strongly clashing as if you have Advent Children Cloud with 10M polygons next to Wedge with 15 polygons.

Shadow Hog posted:

Never played it.

Dude. Get yourself to an N64 or an emulator post-haste, that game is a gem.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm not a huge fan of Diddy Kong Racing, but the Jungle Falls music is the poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDmY89WASgM

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Personally I assume the Secret Tune got cut from being a course BGM track for being too goddamn catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfJpHta9NT0

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

falz posted:

Realize that the Everdrive let's you just copy Roms on to it, the cheap Chinese things require you to run some lovely windows app to patch each ROM in some special way to make then run.

Or so nice heard, my lovely romcart got lost in the mail from China so now I'm contemplating the Everdrive since it.. exists.

Yeah thanks. I decided to order the Crystal Black Revo K101 Plus because after watching a few extensive reviews it seemed like the best bet for the money and it lets me play GB and GBC games where the Everdrive wouldn't.

It will also play all my GBA carts I have laying around which is pretty cool.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

I don't, but I could name a few tracks to get you started on making your own, should needs must:

Diamond Dust Zone (Sonic 3D Blast, Saturn/Win 98)
Snow Island (Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, PS1/Saturn/Win 98)
Freezeezy Peak (Banjo-Kazooie, N64/Xbox 360)
"Snowman" (Earthbound variant, SNES)
Freeze Man's Stage (Mega Man VII, SNES)
"Buried in the Snow" (Final Fantasy VII, PS1)
"In a Snowbound Land" (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, SNES)
"Jangle Bells" (Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble, SNES)
"A Sport to Catch a Mackerel" (James Pond 2: Operation Robocod, Genesis/SNES/Amiga/friggin' everything since for some reason)
Shiver Star (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, N64)
"Cold Reception in Shiver City" (Paper Mario, N64)
"Jingle Bell 2042" (Snatcher, MSX/PC-8801/PC Engine/Sega CD/PS1/Saturn)
"Take the Snow Train" (NiGHTS Into Dreams..., Saturn)
"Welcome to Christmas NiGHTS" (Christmas NiGHTS, Saturn)
"Jack Frost's Chime" (Christmas NiGHTS, Saturn)
"Dream Bells" (Christmas NiGHTS, Saturn)
"White Hare" (Jazz Jackrabbit 2: Holiday Hare, Windows 98)
Holidaus (Day) (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '94, MS-DOS)
Holidaus (Night) ("Silent Night") (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '94, MS-DOS)
Bloxonius ("Little Drummer Boy") (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '95, MS-DOS)
Candion ("Carol of the Bells") (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '95, MS-DOS)
"Hot Snow" (Fantasy Zone, Arcade)
"The Frigid Sea" (Wario Land 3, Game Boy Color)

As for Halloween music... uh... "Good King Moggle Mog"? (You can't tell me that isn't "This is Halloween". I suppose "Up at Dawn" is the intended Halloween All Saints Wake theme, but...)

Discount Viscount posted:

I made one a few years ago

Some of the videos have been deleted and I forgot what songs they were, but it's a good start. Not in any particular order, you're probably just as well off hitting shuffle.

I also made a few Halloween ones: one where I pretty much threw in everything, and then a couple that basically divide that list between silly/uptempo/melodic and spooky/atmospheric, depending on if you want tunes or want to set the mood for trick or treaters/a nerdy haunted house. I have not revised any of them in ages.

HECKOWEEN

I may have to go add some of these to my list!

Wow thanks everyone! I'm all prepared for November 25th, which is when Christmas season begins.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone recommend some Playstation 1 games that only came out in Japan?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Pepsi Man.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jimbot posted:

What's your level of literacy?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jimbot posted:

Slap-Happy Rhythm Busters.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jimbot posted:

LSD. :v:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

al-azad posted:

What's your level of literacy?

I know no Japanese whatsoever. I can figure out basic menu navigation but that's about it. So the less Japanese I need to know the better.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Morbid posted:

I was going to suggest "Them" by 90s Misfits, but I see that's already on there so have Michale Graves' "Earth vs. Spider" instead. (sorry if this is already on the Spotify playlist, the ancient version of Spotify I'm using is having some issues with it)

Added!

Allen Wren posted:

My only suggestion re: what you have already is "dump Robot Rock for the way-better tune Daft Punk looped the main riff of and then everyone else acted like they're geniuses."

(I like DP but goddamn is that tune fuckin' lazy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVfZAZdIUs

I'd link it on spotify, but it's not on there.

Here's some other poo poo that you may like or may not like that sounds good loud, pulled mostly at random from my stuff---and the longer this list goes, I'm finding a large chunk of it is basically everything I was listening to on the regular in 2005, so have a huge wad of stupid music poo poo.

Bouncing Souls - True Believers
Queens of the Stone Age - Infinity
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Probot - Dictatosaurus (f. Snake from Voivod)
Run the Jewels - Talk to Me
POLYSICS - Buggie Technica
Pink Floyd - The Nile Song
Atmosphere - Cats Van Bags (f. Brother Ali)
Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street
Dinosaur Jr - I Ain't Sayin'
Strapping Young Lad - Zen
Cold Cave - The Great Pan is Dead
VNV Nation - Perpetual
Adrian Belew - Ampersand (f. Les Claypool & Danny Carey)
Sepultura - Territory
Heems - Computers
Beastie Boys - Off the Grid
The Bar-Kays - Coldblooded
The All Mighty Senators - Giant Steps
Van Der Graf Generator - Theme One

I'll check these out, thanks! Robot Rock is on there cuz...EDF has robots. There's a lot of dumb basic choices like that, I've got a handful of songs that are just about flying or riding bikes for example. But hey I could always use both.

edit: added several. thanks for the suggestions.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 27, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I know no Japanese whatsoever. I can figure out basic menu navigation but that's about it. So the less Japanese I need to know the better.

Brave Prove (topdown Beyond Oasis style game)
Adventures o Little Ralph (sidescroller)
Love & Destroy (basically PS1 Zone of the Enders with anime cutscenes)
Pop'n Tanks (fast paced cartoony vehicular combat)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think it was obvious that there'd be some Halloween sales so I thought I'd point out a few retrogames offered by Sony: Fatal Frame 1-3, Siren, and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles.

If you get one Fatal Frame game, the one to get is the second game. But they all have something in them worth playing and are super spooky.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I think it was obvious that there'd be some Halloween sales so I thought I'd point out a few retrogames offered by Sony: Fatal Frame 1-3, Siren, and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles.

If you get one Fatal Frame game, the one to get is the second game. But they all have something in them worth playing and are super spooky.

The Wii version of Fatal Frame 2 is now available on the EU/AU WiiU eShop now, incidentally.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Here's a dumb question for the thread, are there any significant differences between the various Mr. Driller games? As in if I didn't like the DS one would I find the original PS1 game easier/nicer learning curve/better balanced? If I remember the internet consensus right it was that the DS one is the worst, the GBC version is the best, and the others are okay, but I have no real idea why.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

Here's a dumb question for the thread, are there any significant differences between the various Mr. Driller games? As in if I didn't like the DS one would I find the original PS1 game easier/nicer learning curve/better balanced? If I remember the internet consensus right it was that the DS one is the worst, the GBC version is the best, and the others are okay, but I have no real idea why.

The first game is a good intro to what it's all about -- no bells and whistles. I don't know where you heard the GBC one was "best" -- it's great for GBC, but the PS1/DC versions are obviously better ports of the original.

2 is fairly similar so that's not a bad choice either.

After that is when the significant differences kick in. People will probably talk up Drill Land to the high heavens, and it is great, but I don't think it's a good intro for a first-timer since the modes are so distinct and break convention.

I didn't quite "get" Mr. Driller when it first came out, but eventually I went back to it and appreciated it more. You really do have to think strategically, and on your feet, and I don't think it ever communicated that well, but patience pays off.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 27, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Can anyone recommend a yahoo auctions japan proxy service?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Jimbot posted:

Tobal 2, Zanac X Zanac, and Internal Section are all pretty easy to play. Zanac ain't cheap if you want a shelf copy, but it's on the PSN for six bucks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Can anyone recommend a yahoo auctions japan proxy service?

Buyee.jp is my goto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jimbot posted:

Gradius Gaiden

• Locked thread