Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

I like the side character guest bits: The husband who shoots the bad guy through the neck and has a blast doing it, and more so the brunette (possibly there by herself?) who is up for anything including a go with a hooker and a gunfight in the dark back to back with Teddy against scary bad dudes. It's all minor compared to the central characters moving the plot along but it's fun to see what guests do in the park.

In the same vein, low ranking employees are their own plethora of entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FooF posted:

For the hosts, its Groundhog Day without the awareness it is happening. Only Delores and Maeve appear to have a clue. What is difficult for me to gauge at this point is how long the hosts have been exhibiting odd behavior. When outside of the park itself (i.e. in the tech rooms, etc.), it seems that perhaps a few weeks have passed since Papa Abernathy started acting up however in the park, it would seem that Maeve, especially, has had many, many iterations occur.

I'm also curious if the Man In Black has the same 4-week limit that all guests have, being an ultra-VIP. If his arrival in the first episode is in fact his first day, that would give us a reference as to how long the story has been in motion in addition to an upper limit of how long the narrative can go.

Thing is since the hosts are 'just machines' the techs often don't care, since their memories just get wiped. We see maeve being aware during intense repairs/surgery becuase they hosed up and forgot to turn her into sleep mode. (Simple oversights and mistakes causing horror being a pretty big John Chrichton thing)

So along those lines, Maeve has experienced seeing the techs many times, and Delos probably even knows this and doesn't care. There's only so much she can do before her memory is wiped and it all starts over. So she's been groundhog daying her own discovery of the techs over and over, ignorant to it. But then she draws the images, which act as a secret record of her memory external to her actual internal data memory. That creates an exploit that Delos didn't forsee, and unless they see her hiding the pages on a camera, they won't know. Problem is, she forgets that she figured it out each time her memory gets wiped. So she discovers that she's had 3, 4, 5, increasing numbers of these pictures, but each time its like the first time she's found it. Which is a big part of the horror of their situation. Like somebody who is on way too many hallucinogenic drugs, they're trapped in a loop where they can't maintain a line of conscious thought long enough to reach a conclusion before everything gets wiped.

In fact, Maeve's 'realization' in the last episode probably isn't the end of this for her. She'll probably have to discover it yet again, unless she starts leaving increasingly obvious clues for herself. Its turning into Momento, where she's going to have to tattoo "you are a robot in a park run by engineers" on her forearm or something. "Don't trust his lies"

My working guess is that MiB is within the 4-week limit, along with William and Logan. It could be that this is week 2, so William and Logan showed up after MiB, meaning that MiB would be leaving in 3 weeks unless something dramatic happens. That's a pretty short timeline for a several season tv show, but MiB could leave for awhile, could die, or the park could go haywire forcing him to stay. Or maybe his discovering the maze or Ford's intervention allows him to stay longer. We'll see.

MiB being in week 2 already gives plenty of time for Teddy's repairs before the new plot begins too. That fits pretty well for me.

It could also be inconsistent time, maybe the first few scenes of MiB were weeks ago or something, but that seems like a stretch until we find out otherwise.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 26, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

Exactly. Orientation host lady has a reflex: guest asks "Are you real?" and she responds "If you can't tell the difference, does it matter?" She "knows", but she's not woke* so it doesn't matter.

*probably

Speaking of reflexes, the "Samaritan reflex" that might've caused that one host to smash his head in... that's supposed to be the First Law of Robotics, isn't it? The hosts could never hurt guests even if they find more inventive ways than guns because they've been hard-coded to not hurt humans.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sort of. The Samaritan reflex makes hosts intervene directly if a guest is in mortal danger, i.e. they'll pull a "mister president!" and jump in front of a thrown knife or something (I was going to say bullet here...).

They're presuming the host smashed its own head in because some part of it recognised it was a danger to Elsie. This lets them not have to think about the fact that maybe it smashed its own head in because it wanted the nightmare to end.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 26, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Speaking of reflexes, the "Samaritan reflex" that might've caused that one host to smash his head in... that's supposed to be the First Law of Robotics, isn't it? The hosts could never hurt guests even if they find more inventive ways than guns because they've been hard-coded to not hurt humans.

Yeah its Asimov's first law, if you take the second clause super literally. "A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm."

But its more than just "they can't axe-murder people", supposedly if a guest was about to axe murder another guest, the robots would actually jump in the way and pull the axe from your hands.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
"One line of code stopping them chopping us to pieces" is what Stubbs said.

I also believe WW is purgatory....

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Thing is since the hosts are 'just machines' the techs often don't care, since their memories just get wiped. We see maeve being aware during intense repairs/surgery becuase they hosed up and forgot to turn her into sleep mode. (Simple oversights and mistakes causing horror being a pretty big John Chrichton thing)

Michael Chrichton :ironicat:

Also I thought she told herself to wake up and they just assumed they forgot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

gently caress that's the second time I've done that

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Michael Crichton :colbert:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

She was having a dream while being repaired, which Delos doesn't think the hosts can do, and she used her trick for ending it (which I guess they wrote to give her personality) and accordingly woke up in the service bay.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Sten Freak posted:

I like the side character guest bits: The husband who shoots the bad guy through the neck and has a blast doing it, and more so the brunette (possibly there by herself?) who is up for anything including a go with a hooker and a gunfight in the dark back to back with Teddy against scary bad dudes. It's all minor compared to the central characters moving the plot along but it's fun to see what guests do in the park.

I like this little detail in the scene where William "pops his cherry."

The extra in the middle smiles through the whole scene, like he's a guest just enjoying a little action show with his morning whiskey.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Michael Crichton :colbert:

:trumppop:

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Anyone else think the maze symbol looks kinda like a stylised person surrounded by rings? Sort of like how the hosts are constructed spreadeagled between rings of machinery above the milk bath? The end of the "maze" for the hosts might just be the realisation that they're created artificially. Which would be really disappointing for the MiB.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

The funny thing is I think the two timeline theory is really cool and could have been a clever idea, but there's just way too much in the show that directly contradicts it; at some point we've seen almost all of the Westworld staff interact with each other, and interact with the park in seeming present time.

I mean if they could pull it off without making a million plot holes, more power to them, but now it seems like this "That would be so cool I want it to be true and will try to justify why it is" thing.

The two timeline theory is popular because the writers (Nolan) have a history of using time as a device or a twist in their other works not to mention its a big thing here with the hosts accessing former memories and the scenes shot in such a way where they could be completely dissociated with each other. Nolan's last show, Person of Interest, did a lot of this and even had a couple of episodes where an AI is unaware of where it is in time and can't tell the past from the present.

How many times has Maeve drawn the Hazmat suit?

When and where do Delores and Bernard's conversations take place? I don't think anyone can really say what we're watching is completely linear.

Besides William and the MiB could simply be pre and post reverie or separated by a matter of weeks like one of the posters are saying. I don't think it's a thirty year gap or William is the MiB but there are more than enough clues to make someone question the nature of the timeline without glaring plotholes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fargo Fukes posted:

Anyone else think the maze symbol looks kinda like a stylised person surrounded by rings? Sort of like how the hosts are constructed spreadeagled between rings of machinery above the milk bath? The end of the "maze" for the hosts might just be the realisation that they're created artificially. Which would be really disappointing for the MiB.

MiB was told that the maze wasn't for him. Aeden says that too.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fargo Fukes posted:

That and this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27itoi

quote:

Iʼitoi or Iʼithi is, in the cosmology of the O'odham peoples, the mischievous creator god who resides in a cave below the peak of Baboquivari Mountain, a sacred place within the territory of the Tohono O'odham Nation. O'odham oral history describes I'itoi bringing Hohokam people to this earth from the underworld. Hohokam are ancestors of both the Tohono O'odham and the Akimel O'odham (River People). He is also responsible for the gift of the Himdag, a series of commandments guiding people to remain in balance with the world and interact with it as intended.

Visitors to the cave are asked to bring a gift to ensure their safe return from the depths.

quote:

The world was made by Earth-maker out of the dirt and sweat which he scraped from his skin... the flat earth met the sky with a crash like that of falling rocks, and from the two was born Iitoi, the protector of Papagos. He had light hair and a beard. Iitoi and Earth-maker shaped and peopled the new world, and they were followed everywhere by Coyote, who came to life uncreated and began immediately to poke his nose into everything. In this new world there was a flood, and the three agreed before they took refuge that the one of them who should emerge first after the subsidence of the waters should be their leader and have the title of Elder Brother. It was Earth-maker, the creator, who came forth first, and Iitoi next, but Iitoi insisted on the title and took it. Iitoi "brought the people up like children" and taught them their arts, but in the end he became unkind and they killed him.... But Iitoi, though killed, had so much power that he came to life again. Then he invented war. He decided to sweep the earth of the people he had made. He needed an army and for this purpose he went underground and brought up the Papagos. They live in a land scattered with imposing ruins which belonged... to the Hohokum, "the people who are gone". Iitoi drove them, some to the north and some to the south... "Iitoi had a song for everything". Though his men did the fighting, Iitoi confirmed their efforts by singing the enemy into blindness and helplessness. Iitoi has retired from the world and lives, a little old man, in a mountain cave. Or, perhaps he has gone underground.

quote:

According to O'odham oral history, the labyrinth design depicts experiences and choices individuals make in the journey through life. In the middle of the "maze," a person finds their dreams and goals. When one reaches the center, the individual has a final opportunity (the last turn in the design) to look back upon choices made and the path taken, before the Sun God greets us, blesses us and passes us into the next world.

quote:

The maze is a symbol of life ... happiness, sadness ... and you reach your goal ... there's a dream there, and you reach that dream when you get to the middle of the maze ... that's how I was told, my grandparents told me that's how the maze is

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Funhilde posted:

The little statue the Native American gal drops is similar to Hopi Kachina statues. Just an interesting way to blur the lines of reality just about more in a cool way. Did the hosts create the god or did the creators? Loving the layers on this show.

Loving it, too. Let's get Indigenous in here.

And there may be Kachina dolls in Ford's office, too:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I have to believe the show runners want to one-up Vince Gilligan and Breaking Bad. There may be an inadvertent plot hole or two but they have a plan.

I agree with the first sentence, but I feel they're trying too hard and occasionally get in the way of simply telling a good story. Especially with the "flashback or not" scenes with Dolores and the brothel manager.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Caufman posted:

I like this little detail in the scene where William "pops his cherry."

The extra in the middle smiles through the whole scene, like he's a guest just enjoying a little action show with his morning whiskey.

There's a quick cut to two dudes during the Paint it Black shootout and you instantly know they're guests because they have this 'Holy poo poo awesome!' expression that stands out against everyone else reacting in fear/terror.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Hunterhr posted:

There's a quick cut to two dudes during the Paint it Black shootout and you instantly know they're guests because they have this 'Holy poo poo awesome!' expression that stands out against everyone else reacting in fear/terror.

Oh you mean these guys?

I think that's William and Logan after Logan is banned from the park and has to get plastic surgery to get back in.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Caufman posted:

See, now this is interesting poo poo to see with a combination of the clues dropped for astute viewers, and definitely makes a lot of sense in the context of the post above that one. No one like Ford is going to have a collection like that of anything he didn't hand carve. Which completely ties into the the Iitoi mythology, in the context of the one to be 'teaching' them how to make those dolls, which triggers awakening stages in at least one of the bots, and we can probably assume others. Right back into the mythology aspect, except the second part seems like it would be more in like with what we know about Arnold. Died, came back to life, lives underground/in a high cave. Lots to draw on and lots of parallels to what we've currently seen in the story. Great pulls.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Caufman posted:

They show the Mittens from the Navajo Tribal Park. The kachinas could be Hopi or Zuni - both are in the area.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Anyone specialize in Native American dresses? I've wondered if the indigenous hosts are made with historical detail or if they're mostly stereotyped.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Caufman posted:

I think that's William and Logan after Logan is banned from the park and has to get plastic surgery to get back in.
Nah, it's clearly the MiB multiboxing with his alts.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Someone on reddit found something interesting

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm new to the thread, but do they serve milk at Westworld?

MCPOYLES FOREVER!

Jimmi Simpson is nailing awkward-as-gently caress (like he does) and I love that he's a sucker for the waifu narrative that corporate wrote in. I also like that they aren't going to John Snow/Marcus Minbari it, since dude's physiognomy screams "NOOOO!" so the inside matches the outside despite the flashes of "good dude."

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Shbobdb posted:

I'm new to the thread, but do they serve milk at Westworld?

MCPOYLES FOREVER!

Maybe watch the show? Cause it is literally all over the place.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I would pay any amount of money for AgeOfSailWorld

hell yes

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

El Jeffe posted:

Which star is Pariah? I'm guessing High Plains.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

There isn't even anything under most of those points. Out of 9 points, only 3 match. 4 if you stretch it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

There isn't even anything under most of those points.

Locations only appear on the map as they appear on the show.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Zaphod42 posted:

Thing is since the hosts are 'just machines' the techs often don't care, since their memories just get wiped. We see maeve being aware during intense repairs/surgery becuase they hosed up and forgot to turn her into sleep mode.

Am I the only one who thinks they did put her into sleep mode but her 3, 2, 1 thing made her turn back on?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lycus posted:

Locations only appear on the map as they appear on the show.

That doesn't alter his point, though? Like, you could draw that over a blank map and it would have about as much meaning as it does layered over the currently discovered mpa.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Kazy posted:

Am I the only one who thinks they did put her into sleep mode but her 3, 2, 1 thing made her turn back on?

That's how I interpreted it too, for what it's worth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kazy posted:

I didn't pick up on that at all *woosh* but a lot of other goons posted the same so you're not alone.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Kazy posted:

thats obviously what happened

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
How does one set up a Predictit Market on poo poo like the two timelines theory? As one of the people who are right, I'd love to take the money of people who are dumb.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006
I think I just figured out Westworld's final twist - it's going to be about Roko's Basilisk, or basically a simulation in a simulation in a simulation theory. Now I am completely creeped out and really hope they pull it off!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

pandabear posted:

I think I just figured out Westworld's final twist - it's going to be about Roko's Basilisk, or basically a simulation in a simulation in a simulation theory. Now I am completely creeped out and really hope they pull it off!

maybe the truth is arnold made a robot version of himself, fucks it, and then the robot kills him then creates an AI version of him and then kills it repeatedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Zaphod42 posted:

We see maeve being aware during intense repairs/surgery becuase they hosed up and forgot to turn her into sleep mode. (Simple oversights and mistakes causing horror being a pretty big John Chrichton thing)

Thing is they DID put her in sleep mode, but she was having a nightmare and used her 1, 2, 3 trick to wake up. And now she's woke af.

EDIT: lol beaten like Teddy.

For some reason when they talk about the maze and another level for the park, i'm thinking it's something underground, like in Cold Storage or something. Maybe it's a person at the center of the maze, like an android version of Arnold.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 27, 2016

• Locked thread