Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The white male Lord of marvel trying to shut down a woman author with legitimate complaints about comic readership makes him look like a jackass regardless of what he "actually" meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's why when I said what everyone else is saying I said "generously".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just because he's being less delicate than he might be doesn't mean he's trying to shut her down.
Maybe there's a "Ya dumb whiny broad" behind it. It's certainly not safe to assume.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Bendis has since said on Twitter that he wanted to say that it was a nerd culture problem rather than purely a comics problem but because he tweeted at 3am it didn't come across as he wanted.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why is everybody making dumb tweets at 3am. Go to bed.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Starsnostars posted:

Bendis has since said on Twitter that he wanted to say that it was a nerd culture problem rather than purely a comics problem but because he tweeted at 3am it didn't come across as he wanted.

So literally what I intuited from the original tweet in the first place. Man it feels good being right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just because he's being less delicate than he might be doesn't mean he's trying to shut her down.

"I am leaving comics because of problem"
"Comics does not have this problem"

:shrug:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He said "it's not comics" not "it's not cruelty"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That's not what either of them said.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

Twitter is a bad place to express a nuanced opinion, more at 11.

He's clarified his original opinion, said he settled the matter with Cain privately, deleted the original tweet (ed: actually he didn't do that, my bad), and admitted culpability while making abundantly clear he wasnt trying to marginalize her opinion. At this point pretending he was trying to silence Cain is arguing in openly bad faith.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 26, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
No one is actually arguing that, just that it sounded really lovely and a side glance is justified. You're getting way too defensive. Wait, are you Bendis?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The percentage of people who were attacking her that had actually read any comics during the time Mockingbird was published is probably tiny.

As long as Marvel doesn't take them as having legitimate points and allow them any influence, she's hopefully just been able to lock them out of her life and can continue on.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

WickedHate posted:

No one is actually arguing that, just that it sounded really lovely and a side glance is justified. You're getting way too defensive. Wait, are you Bendis?

Multiple people on this very page have argued that he was trying to shut Cain down.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Comics don't hurt people... I do! :smirkingvforvendettamask:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Comics don't hurt people... I do! :smirkingvforvendettamask:

I don't know. I have read a few comics that have hurt me, and I am pretty sure Avengers #200 hurts just about everyone out there.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
It reads to me as a "No True Scotsman," which, I get why someone might respond that way, but so not appropriate.

But I guess they'll hash it out offline, so that's between them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The most recent issue of The Ultimates has, and I am not exaggerating here, the worst art I have ever seen in a comic. Ever. Like, as in I seriously think I could do a better job drawing certain pages than the artist. And what's weird is that its so inconsistent, like some pages are great and some are poorly colored blotches that we are supposed to just imagine are humans because they're colored pink or dark brown. It is loving insane. As far as I can tell there weren't any fill in pencils either, it is just that atrocious.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This issue? https://www.comixology.com/Ultimates-2015-12/digital-comic/414218?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM

The preview pages are gorgeous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Christian Ward is an acquired taste.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's not all that good, but it's not near bad either. It's just Toxx being as hyperbolic as possible, as usual, over a style he doesn't like.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can you post a bad page?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The new artist isn't nearly as good as the previous person but it's nowhere near that bad

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I much prefer that stuff to Rocafort.

e: To be fair, Lobdell Superman may have unfairly soured me on the guy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I bought several issues of a comic (ODY-C) that I didn't even like the story of just for Christian Ward's art. I am definitely a fan.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, and that's what I'm talking about when I say inconsistent. Those are like the first three pages, and they're loving great.

But then you get horseshit like this:

Or this:

Or this:

And it's actually physically repulsive. And I'm not usually a guy who gets all hung up on art - I'm not an artist, so don't feel like I can or should judge, and as long as the images convey the intended meaning I'm more or less fine. Like, I'll recognize really good art for what it is and really amazing art can help create or emphasize mood or whatever, but as long as it does the bare minimum of making the writing function as sequential narrative I'll cut it a lot of slack. I didn't especially love that digital artist guy they got on Invincible Iron Man after the main guy went on to draw CWII, but he worked well enough to make the issues work, so whatever. This just felt like I was reading some barely-sketched in characters colorized terribly to the point that it actively distracted from Ewing's (excellent) writing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like those too :)

e: Everyone get this week's Wonder Woman Anniversary one-shot. Good stuff.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 27, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nice torso on Carol in the first one.

That's about a 2/3 Liefeld.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
That looks like bad fanart.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I enjoy how the furniture's drawn.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Whoops I forgot tables have four legs and benches should follow the perspective of the room.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Those faces tho.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jesus Christ that last page

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Don't worry, I'm like, 90% lesbian. The other 10% is for the occasional guy who looks like a girl.

you are one of my favorite posters now

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Herr Tog posted:

you are one of my favorite posters now

Aww. :blush:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao that last panel

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

You are welcome, this is also not shipping.

WickedHate posted:

Hey, I think most of the gun forum likes me. At least right now.

Most is hard to pin down. I feel like most will still try to help you. This is good.

this panel is anime. Discuss.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 27, 2016

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
edit: sorry double post.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 27, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's undeniably a bad panel, so I agree.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Herr Tog posted:

this panel is anime. Discuss.

Well, now we can't be friends. :colbert:

Ghostlight posted:

It's undeniably a bad panel, so I agree.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostlight posted:

Whoops I forgot tables have four legs and benches should follow the perspective of the room.

You've never had a booth in a restaurant?

• Locked thread