Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

8th-snype posted:

You can get AF capable fuji ext tubes on amazon for $10 so saying that they don't have a "proper" macro is silly.

Even if you got their 2:1 60mm and put the big tube on it to get 1.3:1, you've still only got a 5.6" working distance. Plus it's unstabilized and Fuji doesn't have IBIS. It's sub-par.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I would argue that unless you are a dedicated macro shooter that the advantages of something like an X-T1 outweighs that one negative. I thought the 60mm was a macro lens anyway?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Finger Prince posted:

Even if you got their 2:1 60mm and put the big tube on it to get 1.3:1, you've still only got a 5.6" working distance. Plus it's unstabilized and Fuji doesn't have IBIS. It's sub-par.

Can you get a Nikon mount Tarmon 90mm Macro? What's the working distance of it?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Finger Prince posted:

Sub-par is fine for casual macro needers such as myself. Lack of IBIS isn't a big deal either since you can either use the tubes on an OIS lens or just use a tripod as ancient photoman did for centuries.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Can you get a Nikon mount Tarmon 90mm Macro? What's the working distance of it?

There are a few adapted lenses you can use, not sure about the working distances on them. From what I could tell, it doesn't seem like many fuji shooters are particularly interested in macro and neither is Fuji. Mostly it's just a few forum posts of "I used this old MF nikkor with this guys adaptor and it works pretty well". The whole macro situation is one of the main reasons I stuck with m43 instead of trying Fuji (even though I still haven't re-bought the Oly 60mm).

8th-snype posted:

Sub-par is fine for casual macro needers such as myself. Lack of IBIS isn't a big deal either since you can either use the tubes on an OIS lens or just use a tripod as ancient photoman did for centuries.

I'm a filthy casual as well, but like taking pictures of bugs and plants in the field. Tubes and tripods are fine for studio work with watches or frozen bugs and poo poo, but no good when you're trying to chase a bee around a flowery bush in the wind.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 25, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

If I'm not wrong, the upcoming Fuji XF 80mm is 1:1 macro with OIS.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Finger Prince posted:

There are a few adapted lenses you can use, not sure about the working distances on them. From what I could tell, it doesn't seem like many fuji shooters are particularly interested in macro and neither is Fuji. Mostly it's just a few forum posts of "I used this old MF nikkor with this guys adaptor and it works pretty well". The whole macro situation is one of the main reasons I stuck with m43 instead of trying Fuji (even though I still haven't re-bought the Oly 60mm).

Even if Fuji has a 1:1 lens. A smart sensor system has advantage in Macro due to thicker dof anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know if there's an XE2 replacement on the horizon, but if you don't need OVF I think the XE2 is like the perfect size for a small APS-C camera.

I'll argue that I was happier with the physical size of the XE1/2 more than my XPro1, but I love the feel of the XPro more. Which .. is kind of contradictory but somehow I can't escape that feeling.

I upgraded from XE1 to XPro1 to get OVF but the EVFs on the new cameras are apparently amazing so who knows, I might go back to a smaller camera at some point.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've got a question that I guess can go here in the Fuji thread since you are all familiar with how they work, but it's a question about film cameras.

Except for the xt10 and the little ones without EVFs, I think all the Fuji x cameras use a two dial system for initiating P/A/S/M exposure modes, i. e. turn the lens aperture to A for shutter priority, turn the lens and shutter dials to A for program, etc. (Nevermind the lenses without aperture dials)

People like this system because it's "more like old film cameras." I like it too, but I'm wondering if there are any film SLRs or rangefinders that actually used this system for exposure mode selection. Most AF film SLRs use PASM dials, and most manual focus SLRs were all-mechanical (with no automation) or aperture priority only (turn shutter dial to A). Even my Minolta XD, which was the first camera with shutter- and aperture-priority, has a switch for changing exposure modes (although you do have to turn the lens to the green min. aperture setting for shutter priority to work). I think the Nikon FA works pretty mich the same way.

So, is the Fuji dual dial system harkening back to a golden age of exposure mode selection processes that didn't actually exist? Is Fuji the ultimate photographic embodiment of the illusory paleo-regressive ideal that things were better in past, when (photographic) progress has actually made the present much more equitable and livable than any prior era?

Or am I just missing out on some really cool older film cameras that actually worked that way?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's not unheard of. Some Olympus film SLRs had Program/Auto modes where all the shooter had to do was adjust focus, but you could still throw them into full manual if you wanted. I believe the OM-PC was like this.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
I think one of the problems is that almost all the plastic wonder cameras of the 80s and 90s are no longer functional. The Contax T2 had a lot of plastic competition but it and the Leica Minilux (along with the other metal SLRs and rangefinders) are the cameras that survived the era. Fuji was very guilty of making plastic wonder cameras, straight up till the mid 2000s. Olympus was similarly guilty of making a ton of metal bodied cameras with plastic internals that did not survive. Camerapedia lacks even photos of many of the plastic wonders built in this era, and many of them had crazy featuresets to try to counter the two big magnesium bodied SLR makers.

But, I've always wondered where the mode dial came from myself because the first place I ever encountered one was on a Canon DSLR.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I've got a question that I guess can go here in the Fuji thread since you are all familiar with how they work, but it's a question about film cameras.

Except for the xt10 and the little ones without EVFs, I think all the Fuji x cameras use a two dial system for initiating P/A/S/M exposure modes, i. e. turn the lens aperture to A for shutter priority, turn the lens and shutter dials to A for program, etc. (Nevermind the lenses without aperture dials)

People like this system because it's "more like old film cameras." I like it too, but I'm wondering if there are any film SLRs or rangefinders that actually used this system for exposure mode selection. Most AF film SLRs use PASM dials, and most manual focus SLRs were all-mechanical (with no automation) or aperture priority only (turn shutter dial to A). Even my Minolta XD, which was the first camera with shutter- and aperture-priority, has a switch for changing exposure modes (although you do have to turn the lens to the green min. aperture setting for shutter priority to work). I think the Nikon FA works pretty mich the same way.

So, is the Fuji dual dial system harkening back to a golden age of exposure mode selection processes that didn't actually exist? Is Fuji the ultimate photographic embodiment of the illusory paleo-regressive ideal that things were better in past, when (photographic) progress has actually made the present much more equitable and livable than any prior era?

Or am I just missing out on some really cool older film cameras that actually worked that way?

AE-1 Program worked like this, but it does not have aperture priority. Shutter/Program/Manual only. The A-1 sort of worked like this, but also offered control of the aperture from the body dial in aperture priority mode, so it had a little AV/TV switch to control which you wanted the dial to run.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You have to look at film/digital systems that have the aperture control on the lens to find similar retro layout.

Pentax stuck to this layout for a very long time and only gave up on the aperture ring on the lens when they transitioned to digital APSC system.

Their ZX-5n/ZX-3 series was the "retro" brand of the 90s. The ZX/MZ series also had reputation of being compact. So they basically took up the market niches represented by both Fuji and Olympus today. (And Minolta is now Sony, of course.)

Unfortunately, none of their digital Pentax APSC bodies had a proper retro design or control ergonomic. Now that I think about it. Pentax moving away from the classic ZX-5n layout to boxier Nikon layout was one of the reasons I left Pentax.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 25, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I think that the film camera emulation has more to do with the idea of loving about with dials on the lens in general than a specific schema for selecting modes. Mostly with digital cameras, all the controls are on the body, only zoom and manual focus are delegated to the lens, and because it's all automatically controlled through electrical motors and chips in the lens, it's better to centralise physical controls even if some of the dials on the body are moving a thing on the lens. With older manual cameras obviously, mechanical linkages for those functions were much harder to achieve and weren't common so you adjusted things that pertained to the lens (zoom, focus, aperture) on the lens and things that were within the body (shutter speed, metering) on the body. So analogue photographers are used to camera controls on the lens that digital photographers will have only seen on the body.

I have a couple of automatic Kiev SLRs (10 and 15), they have the aperture selection wheel on the body instead of the lens but it hooks up to a mechanical linkage on the back of the lens and only works with lenses designed specifically designed for those systems, M42 lenses from other Kiev cameras will only mount with an adapter and then the camera is fully manual again.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

windex posted:

But, I've always wondered where the mode dial came from myself because the first place I ever encountered one was on a Canon DSLR.

With Canon at least, the 750/850 had the mode dial (the 650/620 had buttons for it like the T cameras) , but those were program/a-dep only. 630 went back to buttons. Then the 10S had a full P/TV/AV/M dial. Not sure where this stuff fell on Nikon's timeline.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I guess I'd need to find a film camera that initiates shutter priority mode by turning to a specific indentation on the lens aperture ring, but that indentation has to be an A or a dot or something, not an f number. Otherwise the user would still also have to turn a switch somewhere else. That probably rules out most 35mm ILCs, so if there's anything like that, yeah, it's probably some kind of later point & shoot. I guess more like an x100 than an x-anything else.

Even Panasonic is dipping their toes into the anachronistic neo-retro pool, adding aperture dials on some of the new Leica primes. Time IMO for Olympus to leapfrog them and start putting aperture and shutter speed dials on their new lenses. Just like the old days.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Time IMO for Olympus to leapfrog them and start putting aperture and shutter speed dials on their new lenses. Just like the old days.

do you have a newsletter because i wish to subscribe to it

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Is there a more handsome mirrorless camera than the Pen-F?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Thoren posted:

Is there a more handsome mirrorless camera than the Pen-F?

Yes

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The x-pro is an ugly brick of a camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Finger Prince posted:

The x-pro is an ugly brick of a camera.

It's the finest digital taste making machine money can buy.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I made the mistake of reading some of the comments on a dpreview post and I didn't realize that there were so many Fuji haters. The big argument from a bunch of people is that Fuji is selling stuff that has a "feeling" and that it is only people who are sucked into a feeling or looks that use the system. I know it is my fault for reading the comments but I just couldn't stop. I'm really not sure what draws so much hatred.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rio posted:

I made the mistake of reading some of the comments on a dpreview post and I didn't realize that there were so many Fuji haters. The big argument from a bunch of people is that Fuji is selling stuff that has a "feeling" and that it is only people who are sucked into a feeling or looks that use the system. I know it is my fault for reading the comments but I just couldn't stop. I'm really not sure what draws so much hatred.

People like numbers and other cameras have "better" numbers so therefore must be better. These people probably don't actually enjoy making photos very much but do love having 42mp and the sharpest lens they can aim at a brick wall.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rio posted:

The big argument from a bunch of people is that Fuji is selling stuff that has a "feeling" and that it is only people who are sucked into a feeling or looks that use the system.
Apparently the Reality Distortion Field has migrated from Apple customers to Fuji customers. :rolleye:

Thoren
May 28, 2008
How can anyone hate Fuji? Outside of Fuji, all APS-C systems suck. The logic people use to justify slapping a 24-70mm on their x1.62 crop factor dslr is dumb. "There is a slight chance I will buy a large, expensive full frame camera several years from now."

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Apparently the Reality Distortion Field has migrated from Apple customers to Fuji customers. :rolleye:

That's what I was reading it as. I could have easily replaced Fuji with Apple and have seen the same comments I see criticizing apple with over and over. But with Apple I can actually see their point at least - underpowered hardware for more money than pc counterparts, and Apple basically markets it relating to "feeling". But unless I have missed the ads Fuji is not advertising the way Apple does so it seems really strange to attack Fuji like that.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I guess I'd need to find a film camera that initiates shutter priority mode by turning to a specific indentation on the lens aperture ring, but that indentation has to be an A or a dot or something, not an f numbe

Uhh maybe I am interpreting this wrong but doesn't the AE-1 work this way?

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
purely out of curiosity -- does anyone know the reason the extended ISO settings aren't available when the X-T2 (and presumably X-T1/10, idk) is using the electronic shutter? is there some technical reason you gotta use the mechanical shutter? i tried some cursory googling and came up empty.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Twenty-Seven posted:

purely out of curiosity -- does anyone know the reason the extended ISO settings aren't available when the X-T2 (and presumably X-T1/10, idk) is using the electronic shutter? is there some technical reason you gotta use the mechanical shutter? i tried some cursory googling and came up empty.

None of the fuji cams let you use extended iso or hotshoe flash in electronic shutter. I assume it's got something to do with the processor but no one's really sure why.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Having had the Pen-F (in black) for a few months now, I gotta say, its build and design hold up really well. Compared to a friend's X-Pro, it fits really well in my hands, and the lenses are miniscule. You really can shoot it like the original Pen F, right down to the tiny viewfinder. It's fine in practice, but it's so poor compared to say my OM2.

What's stopping manufacturers from just putting in the largest EVFs in there? Surely the technology is already around.

The photos are pretty tops anyway, and shooting with it is a joy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thoren posted:

How can anyone hate Fuji?

Fuji aren't a real camera company: they are a film company that has gotten ideas above their station.

The only true camera companies are Olympus/Pentax/Nikon/Minolta/Leica/Hassleblad.

Anyone got any tips on keeping my ponytail looking glossy?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

fartmanteau posted:

Having had the Pen-F (in black) for a few months now, I gotta say, its build and design hold up really well. Compared to a friend's X-Pro, it fits really well in my hands, and the lenses are miniscule. You really can shoot it like the original Pen F, right down to the tiny viewfinder. It's fine in practice, but it's so poor compared to say my OM2.

What's stopping manufacturers from just putting in the largest EVFs in there? Surely the technology is already around.

Do you mean the EVF magnification is small or the literal size of the screen?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Fuji aren't a real camera company: they are a film company that has gotten ideas above their station.

The only true camera companies are Olympus/Pentax/Nikon/Minolta/Leica/Hassleblad.

Anyone got any tips on keeping my ponytail looking glossy?

You shouldn't buy a Fuji because they have never invented everything :krock:

I stopped reading comments on DPReview articles when I saw someone talking about how wireless connectivity on camera bodies was a bad idea because in the field, you'll have a bad connection and it will degrade the image quality. And half the thread was agreeing with him.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Helen Highwater posted:

wireless connectivity on camera bodies was a bad idea because in the field, you'll have a bad connection and it will degrade the image quality.

But, what. I mean, what?

:psyduck:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Helen Highwater posted:

I stopped reading comments on DPReview articles when I saw someone talking about how wireless connectivity on camera bodies was a bad idea because in the field, you'll have a bad connection and it will degrade the image quality. And half the thread was agreeing with him.

That's dumber than my comment and I was trying to be funny.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Thoren posted:

How can anyone hate Fuji? Outside of Fuji, all APS-C systems suck. The logic people use to justify slapping a 24-70mm on their x1.62 crop factor dslr is dumb. "There is a slight chance I will buy a large, expensive full frame camera several years from now."

What. No wait what, the issue is things like the 7DII have a role that simply can't be replicated without literally costing thousands of dollars, and most cameras cost at least high hundreds nowadays, and the fact is most people who stay in this field tend to transition to full frame unless using a camera with unique features.

I like the idea of Fuji and if I wasn't into airshows I would use their product but this is .. a confusing post!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

To the poster asking about EVF sizes:

Fuji put monstrously big EVFs inside the X-T cameras.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

LiquidRain posted:

To the poster asking about EVF sizes:

Fuji put monstrously big EVFs inside the X-T cameras.

I wear glasses, so I can't get my eye physically as close to the viewfinder as non glasses wearers. But even as close as I can get my eye, in full mode I have to move my eye ball up, down, left, and right to see the edges.

In most circumstances I far prefer the XT1 EVF to the (comparatively also large) viewfinder in the 5D3 I replaced.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BANME.sh posted:

Uhh maybe I am interpreting this wrong but doesn't the AE-1 work this way?

Yes, but it doesn't have aperture priority. It's shutter priority or manual, because Canon is a weird company that managed to sell a metric ton of cameras featuring only the least useful automatic exposure mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fartmanteau posted:

It probably will sell more if it has a huge EVF and sell the articulate LCD as an addon. Premium euthusiast market don't care about making compromise for smaller size.