Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The CAIB report goes into detail, but the long and short of it is that NASA managers did not want to approve satellite time to take photographs of the shuttle. They argued that nothing could be done in any event.
But yes, the problem was known shortly after takeoff on reviewing the launch video. Engineers calculated approximate size and speed of the chunk and were very concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:stonk:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Ars did a piece on the potential Colombia rescue. Worth a read.
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/02/the-audacious-rescue-plan-that-might-have-saved-space-shuttle-columbia/

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ars also posted this unnerving piece recently.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Which is why the generals flipped their poo poo
When I was about 16 our school history class went on a week-long trip to northern France, visiting the war graves, museums, etc. One of the museums (I want to say the one in Ypres) had a display on the Christmas Truce; pictures, artifacts, diary entries and recollections from veterans collected after the war. There was a separate little corner of it that had a note that basically said 'however the Truce wasn't observed everywhere', and the diary of a British colonel showing his entry for that day, describing how he'd heard fraternization had started happening among the units near his in the line, so he ordered his men to stay put, waited until the Germans left their lines and had walked most of the way to his, then had some picked men he'd briefed beforehand pop up out of their trenches and open fire on them. It ended really smugly with something like "Bagged ourselves a good few; bet they won't be trying that nonsense again, ha ha ha!"

I remember feeling pretty :stonk: for the rest of the visit.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh

Oh dear.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I guess the Martian wouldn't have been a good story if it was like real life.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

:gas:?

But holy poo poo, that's yeah, something I never want to happen to me.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I posted earlier about Jacob Wetterling's killer and body being found, but I just want to recommend a great podcast I just finished. It's about the incompetence of the entire investigation and has great interviews with the cops who hosed up, the falsely accused, the witnesses and the victims that where screwed over by the terrible investigation.

http://www.apmreports.org/in-the-dark
It's called "In The Dark" and the last episode hit yesterday. Really well done.

Would it btw make sense to make a separate crime thread? I just get really tired of scrolling through natural disasters and phenomenons, as it just doesn't personally interest me.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Sarcopenia posted:

Would it btw make sense to make a separate crime thread? I just get really tired of scrolling through natural disasters and phenomenons, as it just doesn't personally interest me.

I'm in the opposite boat (don't mind natural disasters or other weirdness, skip through the murder), so I'll vote for a crime thread.

Lake Onondaga was mentioned a few pages back, so I'd like to recommend the book where I first learned about it: Braiding Sweetgrass. It's got all the greatest hits of this thread: whites being lovely to natives, children being sent to brainwashing schools, ecological disasters ... and it also has hope.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

nikitakhrushchev posted:

Spotify's weekly playlist algorithm decided to put a song about the Columbia shuttle disaster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Columbia_disaster on my playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8AisTXgAGA and since I was only 9 when it happened I decided to read up on it.

Maybe this is common knowledge but I had no idea that NASA knew about the issue with the shuttle but decided not to warn the crew

The unsettling part is that he's probably right.

Except:

What's more unnerving about the Columbia disaster is that they were filming themselves in the cockpit with a video recorder during the landing. The tape survived and was found by chance in a ditch. The end of the tape was damaged so there isn't anything gruesome, just some astronauts excited to be home soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Z2Ac1nnBw

At least they went quickly, unlike the Challenger crew.

duz has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Oct 26, 2016

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

duz posted:

What's more unnerving about the Columbia disaster is that they were filming themselves in the cockpit with a video recorder during the landing. The tape survived and was found by chance in a ditch. The end of the tape was damaged so there isn't anything gruesome, just some astronauts excited to be home soon.

My Dad was a real rocket scientist. He was a propulsion expert, so he was heavily involved in both investigations. They called him out of retirement to work on Columbia. He never liked the orbiter; he felt it was a feel-good project instead of building the moonbase he wanted. He felt both accidents could have been avoided had they done the necessary prep work. Challenger really angered him, because he knew most of the guys on board.

What he said after Challenger still sticks with me. "We've gotten too complacent about space. People don't realize you're sitting on top of a bomb you hope goes off properly. But even if every other one blew up, there'd still be a line of people miles long ready to try and get into space."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

duz posted:

"Yep.. Yeah, you definitely don't want to be outside now."

:smith:

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

As a nurse who uses both oxygen and catheters almost every day at work, I have absolutely no idea how this is even possible because none of the parts are compatible. Like, the oxygen tubing and the catheter tubing can in no way be connected together. I guess Australia is different?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

My Dad was a real rocket scientist. He was a propulsion expert, so he was heavily involved in both investigations. They called him out of retirement to work on Columbia. He never liked the orbiter; he felt it was a feel-good project instead of building the moonbase he wanted. He felt both accidents could have been avoided had they done the necessary prep work. Challenger really angered him, because he knew most of the guys on board.

What he said after Challenger still sticks with me. "We've gotten too complacent about space. People don't realize you're sitting on top of a bomb you hope goes off properly. But even if every other one blew up, there'd still be a line of people miles long ready to try and get into space."

Christa McAuliffe is the one everyone remembers as she was a civilian - a teacher.

It was part of a broader project called the Teacher in Space Project,a Ronald Reagan initiative. Applications came in from 11,000 educators. My father said he applied for it. I'm guessing he never heard anything after he sent it in.

Teacher in Space had no chance after Challenger, but it's kinda scary that its push was because of a bit of Reagan window dressing.

Though NASA had began to ponder what to about civilians in space in 1982, it was Reagan who pushed it much further.

Campaigning, "on Aug. 27, 1984, as part of a “major education address” in which he called on schools to raise the scores of the nation’s students on standardized tests, reduce the dropout rate, and adopt tougher discipline measures, Mr. Reagan announced that the first civilian to fly on the shuttle would be a teacher.
“When the shuttle lifts off, all of America will be reminded of the crucial role teachers and education play in the life of our nation,” the President said."

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

As a nurse who uses both oxygen and catheters almost every day at work, I have absolutely no idea how this is even possible because none of the parts are compatible. Like, the oxygen tubing and the catheter tubing can in no way be connected together. I guess Australia is different?

I'm not a medical professional in any way, but the latest I heard is that it's being suggested that he accidentally did it himself, like he knocked it out and tried to put it back in or something.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I grew up in Houston and in the weeks after the disaster they had to keep telling people to stop picking up debris and selling it/keeping it.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Yeah, I can't wrap my head around this either. I haven't worked on med/surg since I was a student, so my memory may not be perfect, but still this doesn't make a whole lot of sense mechanically. Must be different in the Land Down Under.

Here's another article about the inquest related to his death: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-27/stephen-herczeg-may-have-switched-oxygen-catheter-tubes-inquest/7971702

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Here's a good one in the same vein.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Replacement-nurse-s-error-supplement-in-wrong-2307972.php

Long story short: a travel nurse plugged a patient's tube feed line into an IV bypassing the multiple warnings on the formula container and tubing. The nurse had to "jury rig" the two devices together.

Here's what the warnings look like:

The FDA had to also come out and say that you should not plug tube feed lines into patient's airways.

There are some really good, really serious quality improvement initiatives that have come out of errors. I can see how breakdowns can occur, but in these instances I have no clue how something like this could happen.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nurse Fanny posted:

Here's a good one in the same vein.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Replacement-nurse-s-error-supplement-in-wrong-2307972.php

Long story short: a travel nurse plugged a patient's tube feed line into an IV bypassing the multiple warnings on the formula container and tubing. The nurse had to "jury rig" the two devices together.

Here's what the warnings look like:

The FDA had to also come out and say that you should not plug tube feed lines into patient's airways.

There are some really good, really serious quality improvement initiatives that have come out of errors. I can see how breakdowns can occur, but in these instances I have no clue how something like this could happen.

You missed a pretty important part:

quote:

The nurse, a 23-year-old woman from New Orleans, was in a state of shock after realizing what had happened, said a source who spoke on condition of anonymity because patient privacy laws prevent public discussion of many of the case's details.

The woman was one of about 500 replacement nurses brought in by Sutter Health to staff its Oakland hospital and two Berkeley campuses when the California Nurses Association called a one-day strike for Thursday. Sutter kept its replacements for five days, locking out its regular nurses until today.

This was a nurse brought in during a strike, and was kept around while the regular staff was locked out for extra days after the strike had ended.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I'm in a somewhat dangerous sport--it's as safe as you make it, but we have a saying, "complacency kills." I was attending a canopy piloting course and we watched a lecture on complacency in both the Columbia and Challenger disasters that was about as interesting and unnerving as you could get. It definitely was an eye-opener, not just in aeronautics, but in all things: complacency in driving or maintaining your car, how you eat, drinking and driving. Another saying we have is "the most dangerous thing is breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it." The more you cut corners and nothing happens, the more corners you cut (or dismiss the gravity of a cut corner), and in a lot of ways that's what happened with these two shuttles.

It was sobering to say the least.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I'm in a somewhat dangerous sport--it's as safe as you make it, but we have a saying, "complacency kills." I was attending a canopy piloting course and we watched a lecture on complacency in both the Columbia and Challenger disasters that was about as interesting and unnerving as you could get. It definitely was an eye-opener, not just in aeronautics, but in all things: complacency in driving or maintaining your car, how you eat, drinking and driving. Another saying we have is "the most dangerous thing is breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it." The more you cut corners and nothing happens, the more corners you cut (or dismiss the gravity of a cut corner), and in a lot of ways that's what happened with these two shuttles.

It was sobering to say the least.

One of the most striking things to me about aviation and space flight disasters is the way thinking can break down in such a way as to doom the flight. Like in, I think it was AF447, where the copilot kept pushing a brake down and nobody realized in time. There's always that human element that can go awry.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

One of Germany's most mysterious and yet unsolved criminal cases is the so-called "YOGTZE case". In 1984, unemployed food engineer Günther Stoll had expressed feelings of being watched for some time already, talking about "them" being after him without ever explaining whom he meant. On a late October evening, after having sat in a chair doing nothing for some time, he suddenly shouted "Now I've got it!" to his wife and wrote YOG'TZE (the G might have been a 6 tho) on a piece of paper before immediately striking it through again. Afterwards he went off to his favourite pub where he ordered a beer, but suddenly fell backwards from his bar stool. He later told other bar patrons that he had suddenly fallen unconscious.

Shorty afterwards, Stoll left the pub, his beer untouched. Noone knows where he was and what he did in the following two hours. At 1am he suddenly appeared in the village he grew up in and woke up an old neighbour of his who was said to be very religious. He warned her that a "terrible incident" was due to happen this night. The woman told Stoll to talk to his parents (who were living nearby after all) instead, but he declined, claiming that they wouldn't understand him. Stolle agreed that he should at least talk to his wife and left. Again we know nothing about how he spent next two hours.

At 3am, two truck drivers discovered Stoll's demolished car on the Autobahn, about 100km (~62 miles) away from the village where he last had been seen. Both claimed independently of each other to have seen a person, who might have been injured, wearing a bright jacket and walking around near the car. They called the police from an emergency telephone and returned to the car, where they found a naked and badly injured Stoll inside, but noone else. The person with the bright Janet had vanished. Stoll told the drivers that four other men had been in the car with him, but that they had booked it after the accident. He also said that they hadn't been friends of his. Stoll died shortly afterwards, before even reaching the hospital.

The autopsy brought another surprise: Stoll's injuries didn't come from the accident, but he had instead been run over elsewhere by a different car; in addition he had to have taken off his clothes even before that. Several people reported to the police later on that they had seen a hitchhiker near to the accident site, but nothing more could ever be found out. Some CB radio enthusiasts notified the authorities that YO6'TZE could be a Romanian radio sign, but again nothing came of it. The case remains yet unsolved.

e: tried to salvage as much of my original shitshow of a post as possible

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Oct 28, 2016

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FourLeaf has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Jul 27, 2017

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

System Metternich posted:

after hacing sat in a chait doing nothing

What?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

After having sat in a chair doing nothing

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

After having sat in a chair doing nothing

Okay, bub whit dish iat min?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:haw:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Okay, but what does it mean?

gently caress if I know, it's about a German.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

System Metternich posted:

When his old neighbour told him to go home and talk to his wife instead, he answered that she was probably right and left

This has me confused for a second. Sounds to me like he just went crazy. Maybe his non-Euclidean wife drove him mad :cthulhu:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I had to photocopy some 19th century medical journals today and this seems relevant to medical staff fuckups chat
"Fatal Misadventure With Carbolic Acid"

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Ausgoon related to current RN student, can confirm via her that the shits don't connect to each other down here either.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I had to photocopy some 19th century medical journals today and this seems relevant to medical staff fuckups chat
"Fatal Misadventure With Carbolic Acid"

Let's all take a moment to pause and reflect on the fact that a rushed, panicked intern can easily shoot you up with too much Potassium and stop your heart. I'm really glad that if I gently caress up at my job, nobody dies. I gently caress up, like, all the time.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
please tell me someone remembers the url for that site that just archives insane stories from the era of the beginning of modern medicine, I think it got posted in here earlier and it was great.

e: I think one of the ones that was posted itt was one about a man who performed amateur taint surgery on himself to remove a gigantic gallstone or something, and there was another about a woman who was put into a bath of some kind of vile vapours and had worms come writhing out of every possible spot of her body?

quite stretched out has a new favorite as of 10:42 on Oct 28, 2016

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

quite stretched out posted:

please tell me someone remembers the url for that site that just archives insane stories from the era of the beginning of modern medicine, I think it got posted in here earlier and it was great.

e: I think one of the ones that was posted itt was one about a man who performed amateur taint surgery on himself to remove a gigantic gallstone or something, and there was another about a woman who was put into a bath of some kind of vile vapours and had worms come writhing out of every possible spot of her body?

http://www.thomas-morris.uk

Have fun.

quote:

A farmer aged 46 was in the habit of inserting an ear of barley into his own urethra for the purpose of masturbation; one day he could not extract it without experiencing severe pain caused by its barbs, which were directed to the side of the glans. A year later this depraved man pushed a large cylindrical snuff box into his own rectum, and it was only with great difficulty (and a pair of forceps) that a surgeon managed to remove this novel implement of an obsession as strange as infamous. This accident did not cure him of it, for some time later in the same manner he inserted a wooden goblet in his rectum.

After twenty-four hours colic, and the need to use the water-closet, forced him to confess his wickedness. There was a great deal of swelling around the rectum, and all attempts at extraction were unsuccessful. The patient rested for eight or ten days, but as the inflammation increased the pain became unbearable. He begged one of his neighbours to attempt an extraction using a wood screw, which only fixed the foreign body more firmly in place. A corkscrew was then introduced into the rectum…

…with it he pierced the base of the goblet in its middle and managed to pull it as far as the sphincter, but the swelling of these parts prevented its exit, and in the efforts to pull the corkscrew it fell out of the goblet; however it produced a small aperture at the bottom of the glass which gave passage to liquid excrement, which afforded him some relief: his stomach gradually swelled; after a month of anguish, the invalid perished amid the terrible pain of an intestinal obstruction.

Nckdictator has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Oct 28, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

He died doing what he loved. :patriot:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
if only yahoo answers had been invented in time to save him

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

if only gbs had been around for his sister to post to and try to save him

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Proofreading is for the bourgeoisie

(:doh:)

onomatopizza
Dec 12, 2004

A word that sounds like pizza.

Sarcopenia posted:

I posted earlier about Jacob Wetterling's killer and body being found, but I just want to recommend a great podcast I just finished. It's about the incompetence of the entire investigation and has great interviews with the cops who hosed up, the falsely accused, the witnesses and the victims that where screwed over by the terrible investigation.

http://www.apmreports.org/in-the-dark
It's called "In The Dark" and the last episode hit yesterday. Really well done.

Got to second this, everything about the investigation of that case in particular, and the investigations by the sheriff's office in general, is unnerving. Besides the hindsight moments, there was just a lot of bad police work going on in that county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

if only yahoo answers had been invented in time to save him

Too bad the Church didn't include "only use wooden goblets with a flared base" as part of the catechism. :dawkins101: