Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

yo rear end is grass posted:

Pharaoh

It's an ancient Egyptian city-building sim that came out in 1999. I got it when it I was 11, and still play it to this day. It's cool.
The thing that always bothered me about it, though, is how terrible the firefighters are. You can have far more firehouses in a given area than you really should need, yet things will still catch on fire. (When a firefighter walks by a structure, he reduces the chance of it going up in flames. They all seem to take similar paths eventually though, leaving parts of the city vulnerable.)
Then, a lot of the time when there's a fire, the firefighters nearby won't respond to it. They just take their buckets and casually walk back to the station, as more and more buildings are engulfed.
What's even worse is that your water carriers are walking right by these burning ruins, not even thinking of helping. Like come on man, no one is thirsty in this city, at least try to snuff some of those embers!

The walker system was cool since it did a great job of visualizing what areas your services were covering and also filled your city with people. It was great watching a warehouse pick up a cart of pottery. The market lady buying all of the pottery and then upgrading all of the houses she walked past. That said it kind of forced you to build every city really samey. Maybe if the walkers could tell that a building needed their service and this was weighted against their default pathing it would have been more interesting. It was pretty funny how you could build a house right next to a well and have it somehow never get visited by a water carrier. It reminds me of how poop and electricity could only make left turns or whatever in Sim City.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I never liked the gear-upgrading in Dark Souls 1 because:

A: You need to go to four different blacksmiths to use their different talents, which is annoying since you can't fast travel in the first half of the game.

B: There are a wide number of materials needed to level up weapons through different paths. If you're not going down that route then the material is useless.

C: If you want to undo the path taken on a weapon then you have to revert the weapon to a weaker state.

D: The option to even upgrade weapons is gated behind the Embers you find, often found late in the game. Defeating the seven Taurus Demons guarding the Chaos Flame Ember just proves you don't need the thing.

E: None of your Embers carry over to NG+, so you have to go the whole process again.

F: None of this is possible without following a wiki.

Demon's Souls is pretty much the same but 3 or 4 times worse.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

* Ooh, content: Prototype annoyed me whenever your character would get air juggled by explosives. I'm death incarnate, except when I'm being bounced around like a gooey ragdoll.

The sequel fixed that, now rocket launchers have a laser sight so you can see when someone is aiming at you from offscreen. It also gives you a cue for when to shield, which reflects the rockets back at those bastards.

I initially didn't like how it turned Mercer into a straight-up villain, but it adds a lot of fun enemy types and is a lot of fun in how crazy it gets. I really recommend it if you liked the first one, it polished the poo poo out of the gameplay.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My only real complaint with the gameplay (aside from some minor quirks like the game loving to force you in/out of disguises) is that the Evolved are a little bland and basically end up occupying the same spot the Hunters did in the previous game. The first few times you fight them it's crazy and frenetic and fun, but outside of maybe a couple of story missions they're all the same whirling dervish type that loves to crowd you, stun lock you, and no sell most of your attacks.

It probably wouldn't be nearly so bad if not for their genuinely good attempt to spice up the later side missions...by including more surprise Evolved. :doh:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You can easily play through Dark Souls without ever consulting a wiki and level up your weapon just fine. The only way you would ever need to follow a guide is if you wanted the platinum trophy.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Defeating the seven Taurus Demons guarding the Chaos Flame Ember just proves you don't need the thing.

On the contrary, if by that point in the game you haven't realized that you can just suicide run for items like that, and that you don't actually need to fight a single non-boss enemy in the game, you're gonna need all the help you can get.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Guy Mann posted:

I don't think people would have cared if they didn't require you to beat the tacked-on campaign to unlock multiplayer content. Especially since you still had to play it online with other people and since the playerbase cratered so quickly it was practically impossible to actually get enough people to play through it after launch.

I also really didn't like how the story didn't change regardless of who won the round. Like, if the rebel faction gets the poo poo stomped out of it during the refueling mission it shouldn't just move on to the next mission like nothing ever happened.

Sure making that many branch points would be insane and pointless but it really killed any interest I had in the story.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

D: The option to even upgrade weapons is gated behind the Embers you find, often found late in the game. Defeating the seven Taurus Demons guarding the Chaos Flame Ember just proves you don't need the thing.

"Don't you see? The treasure was inside you all along!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BattleMaster posted:

"Don't you see? The treasure was inside you all along!"

Chaos flame was pretty much only used by assholes invading in the burg anyway. They should have hid it in a worse spot. Like behind all those dragon asses.

Speaking of things dragging darksouls down. I don't like Dark Souls 3's new DLC. I was really excited for it because usually they bring their A game for souls DLC but the enemy design for this one is just :effort:. It's like I'm playing Dragon's Dogma again with all these wolf swarms I'm wading through.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Kind of an esoteric thing, but games without a satisfying difficulty level.

Sports games are particularly bad about this, largely because they make the game more difficult by making your players worse rather than by making the AI better. It might just be confirmation bias, but I've been experimenting with the newest Fifa game and it seems like your players tend to ignore your inputs more and more as you ratchet the difficulty up. Fighting games are really bad about this too, I think.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Chaos Ember was perfect because you could get it right after Queelag + a cheese boss, but you only could upgrade it in the catacombs which is the shittiest walk back up a vertical environment ever. "Nice ember, kid. Here's a cool sword. Now fight like 59 skeletons again to use it if you don't have the lord vessel yet"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nostradingus posted:

Fighting games are really bad about this too, I think.

Nooooo, fighting games are the very opposite of that once you ratchet the difficulty up higher, they just start very blatantly reading your inputs and dial the CPU reaction time up to 11.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of things dragging darksouls down. I don't like Dark Souls 3's new DLC. I was really excited for it because usually they bring their A game for souls DLC but the enemy design for this one is just :effort:. It's like I'm playing Dragon's Dogma again with all these wolf swarms I'm wading through.

The whole thing was disappointingly short, too. It sucks that there are only 2 bosses in the DLC, and the main bossfight kind of sucked in my opinion. When did they decide that it was cool for you to beat a boss fight and then have it spring back up in a second form with another entire health bar? Why did they decide that they needed to pull that poo poo twice in one bossfight? We couldn't come up with an interesting, well-designed boss, so here, fight Lady Maria's first form, then Ornstein and Smough, then Lady Maria's buffed form. Instead of making a single difficult bossfight they just throw you through a boss gauntlet. I can never even know if emptying a boss's health bar will actually end the fight.

thecluckmeme posted:

Chaos Ember was perfect because you could get it right after Queelag + a cheese boss, but you only could upgrade it in the catacombs which is the shittiest walk back up a vertical environment ever. "Nice ember, kid. Here's a cool sword. Now fight like 59 skeletons again to use it if you don't have the lord vessel yet"

Cool kids run down to the blacksmith without resting anywhere and then homeward bone/darksign back to Firelink :smug:

(really cool kids do this with Quelaag/Ceaseless too)

Olive! has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Oct 27, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Yardbomb posted:

Nooooo, fighting games are the very opposite of that once you ratchet the difficulty up higher, they just start very blatantly reading your inputs and dial the CPU reaction time up to 11.

I see you also tried to get Olcadan in Soul Calibur 3.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I see you also tried to get Olcadan in Soul Calibur 3.

Soul Calibur in general is all kinds of hot garbage bullshit AI since 2, which was easy mode all around. In the last one I played, I think it was 5? If you ever managed to force the AI into a situation where it couldn't just perfect guard and cancel its way out of your bullshit it would just fall back on to spamming moves like fighting assholes in online. Mitsurugi, Kilik and Cevantes AI were the worst for it because Mitsu had a really strong dash slash the AI used non-stop the whole fight and Cevantes just dashed away forever then shot you until you closed the distance then ran away again.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The whole thing was disappointingly short, too. It sucks that there are only 2 bosses in the DLC, and the main bossfight kind of sucked in my opinion. When did they decide that it was cool for you to beat a boss fight and then have it spring back up in a second form with another entire health bar? Why did they decide that they needed to pull that poo poo twice in one bossfight? We couldn't come up with an interesting, well-designed boss, so here, fight Lady Maria's first form, then Ornstein and Smough, then Lady Maria's buffed form. Instead of making a single difficult bossfight they just throw you through a boss gauntlet. I can never even know if emptying a boss's health bar will actually end the fight.

Cool kids run down to the blacksmith without resting anywhere and then homeward bone/darksign back to Firelink :smug:

(really cool kids do this with Quelaag/Ceaseless too)

Nice +3 fire sword you have there. Be a shame if you didn't have the chunks to make it +1 chaos :grin:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Nostradingus posted:

Sports games are particularly bad about this, largely because they make the game more difficult by making your players worse rather than by making the AI better. It might just be confirmation bias, but I've been experimenting with the newest Fifa game and it seems like your players tend to ignore your inputs more and more as you ratchet the difficulty up. Fighting games are really bad about this too, I think.

Games that equate "harder" with "give enemies more health and make it take less damage" make me want to poo poo myself to death.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I 100% refuse to play any game with bullet sponges for enemies. As soon as the game devolves into running backwards in circles I quit. Serious Sam, Borderlands, Painkiller etc are big offenders. It's just lazy and unfun.

All the whacky design and SHURKIEN AND LIGHTNING LOL guns don't make it interesting. That's all a coat of paint over some very uninteresting shapes.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I always hated the games that locked away the smarter AI behind the higher difficulties. Strategy games are the ones that mostly do that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Croccers posted:

I always hated the games that locked away the smarter AI behind the higher difficulties. Strategy games are the ones that mostly do that.

You know, I've never played a strategy game that had harder AI. Every game I've played, the AI just literally cheated and didn't even try to hide it. Every space strategy game ends up the same. Enemy has no planets left, no resources, no money. But the second my fleet descends on their home world they bust out death fleets with like 20+ ships all decked out in the highest tier of weapons and armor even though there's no way they could have afforded that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Coming up with an AI that's smart at strategy games is almost assuredly beyond human capacity at the moment.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nuebot posted:

You know, I've never played a strategy game that had harder AI. Every game I've played, the AI just literally cheated and didn't even try to hide it. Every space strategy game ends up the same. Enemy has no planets left, no resources, no money. But the second my fleet descends on their home world they bust out death fleets with like 20+ ships all decked out in the highest tier of weapons and armor even though there's no way they could have afforded that.

My friends and I tried playing Dawn of War (the first one) on the highest difficulty level.

I don't know if it's possible, but it's certainly loving difficult, and not because of any strategy. The enemy doesn't do anything, except pump out grunts at a pace that would be impossible given the resources and time it has, and literally just swarms your base with an infinite waterfall of enemies. It's ridiculous.

Crysis, on the other hand, had a cool approach to difficulty, where enemies would speak Korean instead of English, spot you easier, your crosshairs and grenade indicators would be gone, that sort of thing. It made you play a lot differently, but in a good way.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Morpheus posted:

My friends and I tried playing Dawn of War (the first one) on the highest difficulty level.

I don't know if it's possible, but it's certainly loving difficult, and not because of any strategy. The enemy doesn't do anything, except pump out grunts at a pace that would be impossible given the resources and time it has, and literally just swarms your base with an infinite waterfall of enemies. It's ridiculous.

it's very possible and becomes downright easy once you know a few tricks, especially since the enemy doesn't do anything except pump out grunts at an impossible pace. if you're playing Hard-mode on the campaign, you just need to rush weak provinces with your hero, then build up massive map-wide bases so that whenever you get attacked your defenses are impregnable. as you get more Honour Guard and abilities unlocked, it just gets easier. also, stronghold maps are even easier since the AI does even less.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wish the late game enemies had some help in the last few Warriors Empires games I have played. By the time you get enough territory to have the cool upgrades you have starved or smashed your enemies out of existence and only have crippled babies to beat up, if the credits aren't already running.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Coming up with an AI that's smart at strategy games is almost assuredly beyond human capacity at the moment.

I hear the Age of Empires II remaster has some pretty good AI on the higher difficulties.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

I wish the late game enemies had some help in the last few Warriors Empires games I have played. By the time you get enough territory to have the cool upgrades you have starved or smashed your enemies out of existence and only have crippled babies to beat up, if the credits aren't already running.

Yeah, by the time you get the ability to do stuff like bribe enemy officers to join your side you have so many of your own that you definitely don't need any more.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I hear the Age of Empires II remaster has some pretty good AI on the higher difficulties.

I would try this is if the restrictive population cap and incredibly terrible path-finding didn't already make the game so annoying at point coming from Starcraft 2. Could you give some examples?

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Nostradingus posted:

I had the same thing playing KoF 2000 for the PS2 the other week. I have no skill in fighting games, I was playing a character I had never used before and thought was useless, and the down on my D-Pad is very unresponsive as it is partially broken yet I was able to win on the highest difficulty. Granted I was beaten a few times especially by the cheap end boss but I ultimately had much less trouble completing it then I did with literally every other fighting game I've ever played. I used some cheap tactics but the AI mostly failed to block super combos for gently caress sake.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I would try this is if the restrictive population cap and incredibly terrible path-finding didn't already make the game so annoying at point coming from Starcraft 2. Could you give some examples?

There is a guy called Spirit Of The Law who does in-depth analyses of AoE II mechanics. Here he is recording a game between two AI players on the hardest setting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqiOQ1dAhL4

Turns out they're legitimately pretty good, without cheating.

Also, HD has the option to set the pop limit all the way up to 500, though the original campaigns are still capped at 75.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guess which of those two I'm playing the game for. :sigh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

spooky like this! posted:

Yeah, by the time you get the ability to do stuff like bribe enemy officers to join your side you have so many of your own that you definitely don't need any more.

Like, it would be awesome to have a samurai/dynasty warriors game where once you conquer China or Japan, the other country invades. Now you have all the resources and a whole country to fight with them.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
XCOM 2 on the PS4:
- it's really disappointing that there are so few troops's language options, compared to Enemy Within; just EFIGS and a few [nation] English - I was wondering why my soldiers kept talking in English, but it turns out it's because there isn't a language for them
- I don't understand why there's no in-game encyclopedia for research, at the very least, particularly during repeat playthroughs; I understand they'd want not to reveal the research's outcome for a first-time player, but if I'd already done that once, why can't I just have an in-game resource to check what comes from such and such research? Weapons, armour, items, etc. There's little point to that, it's just a hassle to consult a wiki or a guide.
- if you hijack a mec, it shuts down for a turn and gets rebooted the next and it breaks concealment; when the hijacking stops, the mec becomes hostile immediately, with no reboot

Also, you can't manually scroll the research result text, so you have to wait for it to slowly scroll by itself.

I don't even list the LoS bugs, I've long since stopped trying to make sense of how the game calculates why I can't see an enemy sometimes.

Still, compared to the previous XCOM on consoles it runs amazingly well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Croccers posted:

Wrong thread for this, but one of the Command and Conquer games handled AI intelligence pretty well for skirmishes - you could set their aggression and difficulty, but also a personality. So you could have an AI that'd be a "Steamroller" and would slowly build up to a massive army before attacking you, "Turtle" who would let you come to him, "Neurotic" who would over-respond to anything he saw, etc etc.

Unfortunately patches for the online multiplayer completely hosed this and the main campaigns up, making certain situations completely unwinnable due to the original balance getting messed up. It was frustrating as I only have the Steam versions and can't stop it from patching to a level before all these tweaks were implemented.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The old game Black & White creeped into my head the other day, and I remembered the one thing that bothered me the most about the game: if you were a Good God and trying to keep your creature Good as well, you had to hand-feed your Creature grain.

Eating meat was considered Evil, and if your Creature grabbed a handful of grain from the storehouse, it was insisted Evil because it was technically stealing food from your villagers. It was extra annoying because the game's expansion (Creature Isle) solved that issue (right click on a field and they'll grab a handful and nourish themselves), but it didn't make it into the sequel.

Kinda odd topic but doesn't belong in the Little Things thread either: I never understood most of the criticisms of Black & White in general. Creature eats his poop? Smack him a few times when he thinks he wants to, and he won't. Gestures being hard? It's a goddamned squiggly line followed by another squiggly line, it ain't hard!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I like it when games like that give AIs a personality they follow rather than just having them try to meet the win conditions/prevent you from meeting the win conditions. The asymmetry and personality in Crusader Kings is great, although it does make the game pretty easy once you get rolling.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
2D platforming shooters (Contra-style):

- Not letting me shoot diagonally: okay, I guess that's a legitimate design choice, though it makes the game feel kind of clunky.
- Letting the enemies shoot diagonally: yeah okay but why do the enemies get this kind of advantage--
- Having enemies that can fly and perfectly track towards you through walls and you can't even aim at them most of the time: FUUUUCK YOUUUUUU

I really wanted to like Risk of Rain, but this completely killed all enjoyment for me and it's starting to really irritate me in Mercenary Kings.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Risk of Rain dovetails nicely with the bullet sponges complaint earlier too. I just couldn't stand how many shots it took to kill a lot of those enemies and threw it off my backlog after about half an hour of that poo poo.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

2D platforming shooters (Contra-style):

- Not letting me shoot diagonally: okay, I guess that's a legitimate design choice, though it makes the game feel kind of clunky.
- Letting the enemies shoot diagonally: yeah okay but why do the enemies get this kind of advantage--
- Having enemies that can fly and perfectly track towards you through walls and you can't even aim at them most of the time: FUUUUCK YOUUUUUU

I really wanted to like Risk of Rain, but this completely killed all enjoyment for me and it's starting to really irritate me in Mercenary Kings.

Good news! There are plenty more things in Mercenary Kings that are going to irritate you!

I have never fallen out of love with a game so hard. It's like all the real effort was put into the early release.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The most fun AI in games can be the simple scripted kind where the enemy learns to react to your methods, like the fight with Mr Freeze/Calculon, or the the guards who throw rocks at the electric gates you tampered with in Dishonored.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Oct 27, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Higsian posted:

Risk of Rain dovetails nicely with the bullet sponges complaint earlier too. I just couldn't stand how many shots it took to kill a lot of those enemies and threw it off my backlog after about half an hour of that poo poo.

I don't hate RoR but it definitely has the problem of being one of those unlock-athon rogue lites that forces you to memorize item lists and play in a specific way to not end up in what is essentially a dead man walking state, thanks to the timer mechanic.

Also I don't now if they ever fixed it, but despite claiming you don't unlock anything on Easy mode, that wasn't actually true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The most fun AI in games can be the simple scripted kind where the enemy learns to react to your methods, like the fight with Mr Freeze/Calculon, or the the guards who throw rocks at the electric gates you tampered with in Dishonored.

I liked that in MGSV. Enemies getting helmets if you shoot them in the head. Nightvision and flashlights if you like to work at night. Simple things like that and you can counteract it by sending troops to disrupt supply shipments.