Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the LP suggestions!

I finally beat Sir Vilhelm on my level 30 character. Found a couple of ways to cheese him, but his AI is a god drat jerk. He'll chain kicks and frickin' jumping attacks just to gently caress with you. The first cheese I found is that there's a living tree (well, two actually) to the left of the building he's in. Pull him outside and let them kill him for you with Frostbite. You'll probably want to parry him to make him stand in the frost breath.

Second cheese is the oldest one of them all; just make him follow you off a cliff :downs:

I don't think he hit me entirely by accident because I'd walk behind him and backstab him during his windups and hit him with a laser while he was getting up. Then every second or third backstab he'd try to cast a spell and get backstabbed again. Dude was like swiss cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how the boss scythe from this dlc apparently has an effective range of two thirds of the undead arena, and you cannot stop it no matter what armor they are wearing.

e: Like it's seriously totally unstoppable no matter what, the guy's in follower armor so it's not a lot of poise or anything.

can you elaborate?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought Sir Vinhelm was using some cool new miracle because he kept spamming one during the fight. Then I found out its just vow of silence and I didn't realize it because I'd never actually seen anyone use it.

That animation is really cool though! Too bad it uses tons of faith but also silences you so its really not worth it in this game. :saddowns:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

mastershakeman posted:

The axe w/ the cool weapon art is garbage. Even wasted a slab on it. The art does almost no damage, players can crush you while you're doing it, and it's just not a hard hitting weapon at all. ah well

Yeah it really blows which is a shame because the enemy who uses it can really gently caress your poo poo up.

Night Blade posted:

Just finished.

By the way, what's the deal with that little shrine after the last boss fight? There's a bunch of high rated messages near it saying "try gesture" but every gesture I try does nothing.

Just more Dark Souls 1 fanservice wankery with no real story explanation like most of this game.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Finished the DLC today. I thought it was pretty OK, but it certainly isn't the best DLC that FROM has put out.

The level design shined in parts, but was pretty meh in others. I loved the way the final area wrapped back around to Friede 's chapel, but the early open areas were pretty low effort.

As a boss, Friede was cool conceptually, but I definitely got frustrated fighting her for the same reason I did on Nameless King--forcing you through relatively easy early stages only to repeatedly die on the last stage becomes tedious. I think they should have split it into two fights--the first one could have been stages 1 and 2, and then stage 3 could have been a separate fight. Buff both of them to make up the difference, just don't force me to repeatedly get through the first two phases.

As for the Champion fight--I really did not enjoy fighting hyperactive Sif, at all. gently caress his stupid lunging attacks. Dude was super hard to dodge. Reading online, it seems like most people enjoyed the fight, so this is probably a personal problem on my part.

My main issue with going back to DLCs for Dark Souls games is that by the time they come out, it's been months since I've played and I'm out of practice. Since the bosses are usually tuned to be on the more difficult side, and since I have mentally finished the games already, I'm kind of in content tourism mode and get frustrated pretty easily. I l left most of the optional bosses in DS2 DLC uncompleted for this reason. I'll need to try to savor the next DLC, since it looks like it'll be the last Dark Souls we get (for a while, at least). Hopefully it's good!

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 27, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My problem with Gravetender Greatwolf wasn't dodging him so much as hitting him - he's probably the most mobile boss in the game and never stays in the same spot for long.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought Sir Vinhelm was using some cool new miracle because he kept spamming one during the fight. Then I found out its just vow of silence and I didn't realize it because I'd never actually seen anyone use it.

That animation is really cool though! Too bad it uses tons of faith but also silences you so its really not worth it in this game. :saddowns:

The way he uses it is actually pretty clever. Rely on a weapon buff and your stat scaling, focusing on the weapon in your hands, use it to limit your enemies rather than rely on the casting as your main offense. I did the same with my moonlight greatsword. I only had support spells, never really bothered casting offensive magic unless I was fighting something I really needed the range on.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
So, is it a known thing that the ethereal oak shield has bananas health regeneration?

SnoozeOrder
Aug 2, 2016

Lakbay posted:

Anyone know how Undead Match deals with player levels? I think I'm seeing the level down icon occassionally or that might just be the new "I've PvP'd alot" icon

It's just regular old 10+10% SL like invading and such I'm pretty sure.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Corvian Settlement is a real dump. Get your poo poo together, Corvians.

Make Ariandel Great again
:smugdon:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mastershakeman posted:

can you elaborate?

You can't interrupt the art/combo involving the art, you either get out of its way or die.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh my God, the pyromancer life in the Undead Match is ridiculous in a team battle. My current set up is Great Chaos Fire Orb, Black Flame, and Floating Chaos. My weapons vary between the witches lock, a chaos zweihander, and the onyx blade.

DUDE. DUDE. THIS BUILD DOES EVERYTHING. Floating Chaos doesn't do much damage, but it does something even better in pvp: it annoys. Anyone hit by it staggers a little bit, enough to interrupt an attack. GCFO is for actual damage at range, might switch it out for Chaos Bed Vestiges, but for now I'm doing solid work with it. Black Flame is fantastic because nobody expects it. I get up close and personal, they try to parry, BOOM MOTHERFUCKER, BLACK FLAME. Half of your health gone like that. And your weapons also kick rear end! Zweihander is soooo goood. Onyx Blade is faster than it looks, and Witch's Locks are fun as hell.

It feels drat good to be a pyromancer in these times, brudda.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

BBQ Dave posted:

Make Ariandel Great again
:smugdon:

We're going to link the flame and make Anor Londo pay for it

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
From what I know from playing a bunch of video games, this DLC reminds me of this skill

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Impossible_Odds

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Your Computer posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for Dark Souls III Let's Plays or streams (preferably first playthroughs)? :3:

Game's been out for a while now and I really enjoyed having that stuff on my second monitor when leveling my Nth character in DS1/2.

I enjoyed watching Generation Hollow's blind playthrough. He's fun to watch and listen to, and really loves the game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Gologle posted:

Oh my God, the pyromancer life in the Undead Match is ridiculous in a team battle. My current set up is Great Chaos Fire Orb, Black Flame, and Floating Chaos. My weapons vary between the witches lock, a chaos zweihander, and the onyx blade.

DUDE. DUDE. THIS BUILD DOES EVERYTHING. Floating Chaos doesn't do much damage, but it does something even better in pvp: it annoys. Anyone hit by it staggers a little bit, enough to interrupt an attack. GCFO is for actual damage at range, might switch it out for Chaos Bed Vestiges, but for now I'm doing solid work with it. Black Flame is fantastic because nobody expects it. I get up close and personal, they try to parry, BOOM MOTHERFUCKER, BLACK FLAME. Half of your health gone like that. And your weapons also kick rear end! Zweihander is soooo goood. Onyx Blade is faster than it looks, and Witch's Locks are fun as hell.

It feels drat good to be a pyromancer in these times, brudda.

Witch's Locks is secretly the funnest weapon for anyone with decent investment. I rock it on my sorcerer along with a Simple Estoc for painfully slow mana regen.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Beat the DLC, was fun but short.

Does anyone know what the holy holy hell was inside that shrine at the far end the last boss room. If you look close it isn't a corpse, mummified or otherwise, it's a doll, you can see that if you use your binoculars to look at the tail. It's a doll, or a manakin. Some sort of bloodborne reference?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BBQ Dave posted:

Beat the DLC, was fun but short.

Does anyone know what the holy holy hell was inside that shrine at the far end the last boss room. If you look close it isn't a corpse, mummified or otherwise, it's a doll, you can see that if you use your binoculars to look at the tail. It's a doll, or a manakin. Some sort of bloodborne reference?

That's a part of Priscilla's clothes and her tail(maybe only the shed skin of it?).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

aas Bandit posted:

I enjoyed watching Generation Hollow's blind playthrough. He's fun to watch and listen to, and really loves the game.

I like the description, here's hoping I like the videos too!

Deified Data posted:

I'd recommend Kay but she gave the game up really early.

Yeah, it's a shame :( I really liked her previous Let's Plays because she plays exactly like I do (super thorough, reads every bit of text, talks to every NPC a million times) and when she actually noticed Anor Londo in the distance in like the first episode I really got my hopes up. I don't blame her of course, real life comes before entertaining strangers on the internet. :3:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Your Computer posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for Dark Souls III Let's Plays or streams (preferably first playthroughs)? :3:

Game's been out for a while now and I really enjoyed having that stuff on my second monitor when leveling my Nth character in DS1/2.

I'm enjoying epicnamebro's LP. I started watching it because his from the dark was good ds1 playthrough for people like me who never played it. It's totally blind and funny because he over thinks everything which leads to him being super wrong about stuff.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

I'm enjoying epicnamebro's LP. I started watching it because his from the dark was good ds1 playthrough for people like me who never played it. It's totally blind and funny because he over thinks everything which leads to him being super wrong about stuff.

Oh yeah I should've mentioned; I've watched ENB's playthrough as well as LobosJR's. ENB started to get on my nerves a bit with certain things but otherwise it was a great first playthrough :)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah I should've mentioned; I've watched ENB's playthrough as well as LobosJR's. ENB started to get on my nerves a bit with certain things but otherwise it was a great first playthrough :)

I liked his ds1 playthrough a bit more personally.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

ENB's Dark Souls runs are good but he's kind of just a likable moron. His accent drives me up the wall. The knowledge and stuff he drops during it all is interesting though. Never cared to watch his other LP's.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

aas Bandit posted:

Okay I'm watching this now, his giddiness is seriously infectious :haw: Please tell me he's not gonna start screaming and yelling like, y'know, a YouTube LPer because I feel like I'm gonna enjoy this LP.

Also, he lined up a perfect kick for that hollow who's looking over at Lothric Castle, which I greatly approve of.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
DLC thoughts and spoilers below:

The DLC is fine, fantastic level design and enemy layout, kind of lackluster on content otherwise. The boss fights I can't decide how I feel about them--the Gravetender is a fun take on a well-trodden concept and I think it plays really well, but the DLC's final boss is a bit of a slog--it seems like they went for quantity over quality, which is a shame because the fight itself isn't BAD, it just doesn't need to last three rounds

That said, this seems to be a lot more of what we've seen in Dark Souls 3--that is to say, a mash-up of previous Dark Souls "type" of areas with some new twists on old concepts sprinkled around. This one is basically Darkroot Basin meets the Crystal Cave with a few Bloodborne-esque sequences to break up the snow. I think the DLC opens with its best foot forward, encountering the wolf pack was something new and exhilirating and they induced a fantastic set of panic, which gave the whole experience a sharp edge to start out with. The DLC is actually at its hardest at the front, since you don't know which route will actually move you forward. I feel like it encourages co-op due to the open space and the sheer volume of enemies, and running through the woods with friends hearkens back to the Forest Hunters of DS1.

I liked all of it, I think the story is fine enough, but the whole thing feels like a shadow of the Old Hunters DLC. Unlike the DS2 DLCs or Artorias of the Abyss, this DLC doesn't really seem to have its own identity. It's certainly the weakest DLC offering From has put forward, but in saying that it is acknowledging that this development studio has generally done due diligence in this department, and even if the whole thing is short by Souls DLC standards, it still gives a nice chunk of content and a bit of variety to the line-up of DS3 levels. Given that we have a snowy area in Irythyll, I was actually impressed to find that the DLC's environment actually feels very refreshing compared to the relatively cramped environments of the rest of the game.

I'd not expect the second DLC to be longer than this one, but I can hope that maybe they have some time to try and come up with a bit more content in the final installment of Dark Souls. As it stands, Ashes feels just a little shy of being worth $15, the final boss fight feels excessive when it didn't need to be and there's relatively few armor sets or especially magic spells, and really only the super cool final weapon seems particularly thrilling overall.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Undead Arena is a blast, lots of intense fighting with very little downtime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've decided I absolutely hate the multi-stage boss battles in 3, when the health bar hits zero that should be boss done, it just makes the earlier stages feel like pointless busywork. Even when BB bosses had completely obvious split phases it still only used one health bar.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I've decided I absolutely hate the multi-stage boss battles in 3, when the health bar hits zero that should be boss done, it just makes the earlier stages feel like pointless busywork. Even when BB bosses had completely obvious split phases it still only used one health bar.

yea I actually hate that as well. I was talking to someone about it and they mentioned that it was functionally the same as the boss just having more health on one bar, but it just feels bad to deplete a health bar entirely and have it fill back up to full. it's like the game is taking away your feeling of accomplishment because it's like you didn't do anything at all

this made friede and ariandel my least favorite boss in the game, incidentally. the first phase is totally useless, then you think you're done after phase 2 and that rear end in a top hat friede is like lol nah time to fight phase 3 maria with a full healthbar nerd. it's kinda funny that the optional boss did it like the older games did at the same time that he plot boss just had 3 phases with new health bars

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The main problem I have with that happening is that the second and in Friede's case, third phase is almost always invariably the harder one, too, so yeah, it makes the first stage feel kind of worthless and just annoying to go through.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the first phase tends to feel like a joke and might as well not even be there. nameless king is the biggest offender imo because his stupid chicken is both weak and fights nothing like the real boss, so you learn absolutely nothing fighting it. it's just there take get in some cheap hits and make you go into the real fight down a few estus charges

I think that the dlc boss would be better if it was just phase 1+3. it'd basically be maria with some priscilla gimmicks, but maria was a cool boss so who cares. she could have one health bar that way as well and it'd feel a lot better because phase 2 plays so differently than phases 1 and 3 that it's hard to take anything from that into the other parts of the fight

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I don't mind the separate health bars for phases one and two in this specific instance because I really like the way they revive her as an unkindled to really enforce that link. But having the third one be yet another fresh health bar is kind of bullshit. Either the first form should have had way less health, or the second one should have ended at half health and the third started there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I did the final boss on my pyromancer today to get the slab and when I died to the third phase I felt no incentive to try again. Normally I'm down for doing stuff just for the challenge of it on all my builds, but its simply not fun going through the same part of a boss fight over and over just to get to the part of the boss that gives you trouble. With most multiphase fights each phase is short so its not that big of an issue, but here each phase has a relatively big health bar.

It also pisses me off that the second phase is a complete joke once you figure out how lovely Ariandel is. The best strategy for that phase is to just ignore Friede completely and attack him relentlessly. Friede's AI will usually decide to just sit back spamming ice waves which can be avoided easily. If she doesn't decide to ever get close the fight is a joke. Ariandel's attacks are all pathetic. They hurt like hell but are really easy to avoid and leave him super exposed. And get this; if Friede tries to heal him? Its better to just keep ignoring her if she isn't nearby. Cause that's like 8 seconds of free hits on Ariandel, which will let you riposte him and easily do more damage than she heals. That's dumb as hell.

All the effort in the fight seemed to have gone into the first and third phases, with the second feeling like a waste of time. Which pisses me off because I'd been looking forward to fighting that boss since the trailer and they basically did a bait and switch.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I discovered something amazing about Friede's Great Scythe. Directly after doing the R2 weapon art which makes the ice, you can directly chain into the second R1 weapon art animation. With some good baiting I've been able to get people caught in the combo while the ice detonates. The result is the huge damage of the ice detonation + the final hit of the R1 combo which equals to almost a kill against super armored enemies in one combo. It isn't as overpowered as the Follower Sabre but it looks stylish as gently caress.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Witches of Hemwick had a new health bar. But that was the easiest boss in the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There were two of them and both bars show up at once if you take too long to kill the first, so it's no different really than the Maneaters from Demon's or the Gargoyles/Ruin Sentinels from 1 and 2.
Actually does Ruin Sentinels start off with all three health bars on screen? I forget.

Probably arguing semantics but it feels like there's a difference between 'you beat phase one and then another starts' and 'surprise! There's more than one enemy' halfway through.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 27, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it starts with one and you get the others as they come in I think

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the other one is always in the boss arena. she is just hiding.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The follower's sabre art is just amazing. I landed it on an invader on the snowy mountain pass, the player blocked and got a guard break and instantly chained the riposte, kicking him off the cliff :black101:

Beat the DLC on my 2nd char (dex) and used two of the three slabs on the Crow Quills and Follower's Sabre and they're both amazing. Crow Quills L1 has a fantastic combo and has good base damage on top of that. I love the mix of rapier and claw, it looks good and tears through stuff. I can't add much about the follower's sabre because is such a nice weapon to have with great moveset, low weight, long reach, hard hitting and it's weapon art is fantastic.

Now on to my 3rd run: melee pyro for that sweet Onyx Blade!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably arguing semantics but it feels like there's a difference between 'you beat phase one and then another starts' and 'surprise! There's more than one enemy' halfway through.

it's just the feeling of progress imo. when a new enemy shows up, the work you've done to the first one's health bar remains consistent; it doesn't reset so you still feel like progress has been made. whereas with ds3, when the boss health bar just refills to max it feels like the game is only wasting your time until you get to the actual fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I come back after months and a new DLC and they still haven't fixed the glitch with phantoms and fog doors?

JFC From, get your poo poo together