Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

They'll Do It Every Time (January, 1940, click for big)

It's The Urge! Weird circle arrow and all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slammy posted:

Julet Esqu posted:

It's The Urge! Weird circle arrow and all!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Slammy posted:

Shear Madness (http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/TQMAD) is a comedy play that has played at the Kennedy Center in DC basically forever. It's not very funny.

It was absolutely hilarious and scandalous to 14-year-old small-town me on my first school trip into a big city. :colbert:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Slammy posted:

And He Did. (July, 1915)

Hah, I did this once (though with rollerblades). Not my best decision, but somehow I didn't get hurt or anything.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is she interviewing people on a mall bench? Or is it supposed to be on one outside?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (October 4, 1951)

Nancy (November 18, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (July 18, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (August 16, 1923)

Lil' Abner (April 15, 1937)

Barney Google (August 17, 1922)

Alley Oop (November 16, 1933)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Buckets

The Creeps

Crumb

God dammit, that is not cannibalism! They're different species! :argh:

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Mary Worth

Moose and Molly

Office Hours

Pluggers

Reply All

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 27, 2016

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ZeeToo posted:

Blondie is the blonde woman.

I find your story suspect. :colbert:

er... he also changed his name around the same time. It was a very epic arc. Also yet another reason he desperately wants his ex to move out. Having two people in a house with the same name gets very confusing!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Poil posted:

Is she interviewing people on a mall bench? Or is it supposed to be on one outside?

It could be either. Mall stores (which I'm assuming this place is) generally don't have conference rooms or spare space to have a job interview.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (October, 1915)

Wait a minute. He didn't punch his wife in the face? What the hell?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wait a minute. He didn't punch his wife in the face? What the hell?

I see you haven't been reading True very long. His wife is tougher than he is.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

treasureplane posted:

The lighter side of suicide!

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Poil posted:

Evil Mastermind posted:

It could be either. Mall stores (which I'm assuming this place is) generally don't have conference rooms or spare space to have a job interview.

This, and I will also add that it's also very common to do because physically leaving the premises is the only way a retail manager can even attempt to give 100% of their attention to the intervie

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Hah, I did this once (though with rollerblades). Not my best decision, but somehow I didn't get hurt or anything.

Ditto

About 3/4 of the way down was pretty scary. There were those concrete parking space stops at the end of the hill. I jumped over one and crash landed in some grass. No injuries, but I sure as hell never did that again.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To make things better/worse, I started crouching because I heard a lower center of mass means you're more stable. It also made me faster though. I ended up safe at the bottom, just in shock as I rolled forward. Eventually I fell when I hit the curb, but I was real slow by then.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Green Intern posted:

I see you haven't been reading True very long. His wife is tougher than he is.

I read it off and on. There's only so much punching out a guy who pisses you off one can take.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

What do your elf eyes see?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

What do your elf eyes see?

A Fallen Woman who probably can't even perform any music or ballet. Just see if I ever steal your identity for letters to my brother again, you jezebel.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I guess it's not reasonable for me to expect a given college student to give a poo poo about every assignment she gets. Nevertheless, Luann is a terrible art student and the Evanses haven't given any indication that they think her taking advantage of Gunther to cheat in her class and score a free dress is a bad thing. Should consequences occur later I shall be glad, but after Luann got her A, I'm not expecting it.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Suspicions that Blind Dude is actually evil and Loudmouth Dude is actually good confirmed. Probably. Odds that Blind Dude is actually blind?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Poil posted:

It's a casting couch. :wiggle:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Elysiume posted:

Why does the cut of the top half of the dress flip every frame?

WEARABLE ART

An engineered dress that changed depending on the position of the viewer would be interesting but also out of the scope and scale for this comic

Slammy posted:

Yes!!!!!! Is this the first we've seen of The Urge!!??

efb

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (October 30, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 30-31, 1929)

Thimble Theater (May 16, 1930)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

treasureplane posted:

I think it's worth noting that this was a big deal at the time.

Wikipedia posted:

Sparky's first race became one of comics' first national media events, eagerly anticipated by millions of newspaper readers. So great was the public's enthusiasm that DeBeck, who had been planning to retire the plug after that one storyline, made him a permanent part of the cast. Spark Plug was such a star during the 1920s that children who enjoyed the comics were liable to get "Sparky" for a nickname—for example, Charles M. "Sparky" Schulz, who grew up to create Peanuts.
F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

A g-g-g-g-ghost?

Apartment 3-G

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

The lighter side of suicide!

It used to be a really common comedy motif. Old cartoons are full of it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

That's definitely a sex joke.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazingly Stupid Spider-Man

So riddle me this. They don't have any superpowers, they just have been shrunk in size and are weak as poo poo and as small as a dust mite. Yet now they're not getting entangled in the spider web that captured that much stronger wasp?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That's quite the ... erm ... sock you've got there, Kong!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tiggum posted:

Pluggers

Johnny Maddox seems like kind of a fuckhead

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nenonen posted:

So riddle me this. They don't have any superpowers, they just have been shrunk in size and are weak as poo poo and as small as a dust mite. Yet now they're not getting entangled in the spider web that captured that much stronger wasp?

Spider-Man still has his powers. It's just that he has the strength of a flea-sized man with the proportional strength of a side.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Here's something by James Montgomery Flagg (the 'I want YOU' Uncle Sam poster artist) I found on animation resources: Nervy Nat.

Flagg drew Nervy Nat for Judge magazine between 1903 and 1907. Nat "appears to be based on the early vaudeville performances of W.C. Fields."

Clicking for biggers recommended.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Spider-Man still has his powers. It's just that he has the strength of a flea-sized man with the proportional strength of a side.

But how can Ant-strength Ant Man and Pym break a spider-web? They'd just get caught.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Johnny Walker posted:

Secret Agent X-9

Dunston Checks Out

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Johnny Maddox seems like kind of a fuckhead
I seriously thought the second was an edit until I just now checked it.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Dunston Checks Out
It just doesn't have the same ring to it. Dunston's Not In maybe?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Yesterday's Luann Comments!

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
Okay, Lu. Let’s not forget that Gunther did ALL the Dirty WORK in making THAT Dress,*AND getting You that “A” before YOU get all Gooey “How can I ever repay you?” to the Caveman there….,

quote:

dblbaraje said, 1 day ago
Did Luann declare a major? She seems to be taking so many art classes? As usual, Luann is the most shallow of all the characters. The dress was because she is going to be a bridesmaid, not as an art project. She couldn’t even come up with a one sentence statement. Luann seems to be a late bloomer. Tiffany even has a goal, but not Luann. So far, the only thing I see is possible set and costume design in the future with a repairing with Quill if she ever grows up. She is good with kids, but when will teaching dawn upon her as a wonderful career in the future (if you get into the right school district). I love this comic hoping that Luann will grow up – probably very much later than sooner.

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
@riven64
“I’m confused by the Trump dog. Is Greg promoting Trump or making fun of Him?”_________________________________
I’d say that in THIS Case, “Making Fun.”
The Bigger Question Is: Will He mete out the SAME “Treatment” to that “Other” Candidate?
NOT Bloody Likely…..,

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I guess it's not reasonable for me to expect a given college student to give a poo poo about every assignment she gets. Nevertheless, Luann is a terrible art student and the Evanses haven't given any indication that they think her taking advantage of Gunther to cheat in her class and score a free dress is a bad thing. Should consequences occur later I shall be glad, but after Luann got her A, I'm not expecting it.

quote:

Namrepus said, about 17 hours ago
Emo’s got a pair to make a crack like that. And luckily for us, he’s also got a sign.

quote:

AnyFace said, about 17 hours ago
Those guys remind me of anime characters – Just not sure from which anime.

quote:

Roberta Pinn said, about 16 hours ago
What’s it to you, sign-crotch? If she wants to be like Mrs. Olson and have it mountain grown…(say those two words slowly and break them up differently)…again, what’s it to you? Luann is old enough to know better, and often better is good. Or fun, anyway.

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, about 3 hours ago
Aw, whattsa Matter, One-Eye?
Jealous because your STUPID “sign-art” got a ‘C’ minus or something?

fort knox

Flying McCoys

Shoe

Scenes from a multiverse????

Dustin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I read Scenes from the Multiverse when it first started and dropped it about half a year later because every single strip became edgy athiest poo poo about religion.

• Locked thread