Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

MCPOYLES FOREVER!

That would be even better.

Mcpoyles just lounging around the town in anachronistic bathrobes doing sleezy poo poo, drugs, and possibly each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm a simple man with simple needs and I really need the hosts to start killing fools already. If we don't get the AI rebellion before s2 I'm gonna be very angry and post about it a lot itt.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

That doesn't alter his point, though? Like, you could draw that over a blank map and it would have about as much meaning as it does layered over the currently discovered mpa.

He just said it was interesting not definitive, jeez.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Disco De Soto posted:

For some reason when they talk about the maze and another level for the park, i'm thinking it's something underground, like in Cold Storage or something. Maybe it's a person at the center of the maze, like an android version of Arnold.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
gently caress, the Matrix sequels were such poo poo weren't they?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

Someone on reddit found something interesting

Doesn't look like anything to me.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress, the Matrix sequels were such poo poo weren't they?

Yeah

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

Someone on reddit found something interesting

These retarded delights have retarded ends.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Disco De Soto posted:

For some reason when they talk about the maze and another level for the park, i'm thinking it's something underground, like in Cold Storage or something.

You may be onto something. In the previews, we've seen Dolores visiting her own grave. The host graves in Westworld have false bottoms that lead into the backstage area of the park.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

There isn't even anything under most of those points. Out of 9 points, only 3 match. 4 if you stretch it.

Also, many of those points are on nearly straight lines because that's the most convenient way to build a road.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I would even go as far as to say that there isn't a single map in the world where you can't scale and rotate that poo poo long enough and not hit at least three cities.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Let me just explain why you're wrong and the're actually better than the original...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Matrix itself hasnt aged well either

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

pandabear posted:

I think I just figured out Westworld's final twist - it's going to be about Roko's Basilisk, or basically a simulation in a simulation in a simulation theory. Now I am completely creeped out and really hope they pull it off!

What? No. Noo. No. This has nothing to do with the Basilisk at all.

And the Basilisk is a sorta cool thought expiriment that a bunch of dumb people took wayyyyyy too loving seriously. Better we forget all about it.

E: Roko's Basilisk is just the dumb sci-fi philosophy version of "the game"

Disco De Soto posted:

For some reason when they talk about the maze and another level for the park, i'm thinking it's something underground, like in Cold Storage or something. Maybe it's a person at the center of the maze, like an android version of Arnold.

I think all the native american stuff people were posting is pretty strong evidence the maze is a metaphor. But we'll see.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 27, 2016

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pandabear posted:

I think I just figured out Westworld's final twist - it's going to be about Roko's Basilisk, or basically a simulation in a simulation in a simulation theory. Now I am completely creeped out and really hope they pull it off!

Will Mencius Moldbug be relieved or disappointed when he just dies and isn't eternally tortured by some S&M AI dombot

he'll be disappointed

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Phi230 posted:

I think it holds up okay. It's just been hurt by people seeing it too many times, being imitated too many times, and the sequels sucking. Yes, sequels sucking does make it harder to enjoy originals.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It's good when they use the "what if I told you" line.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Nah, The Matrix is still a great film.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

What? No. Noo. No. This has nothing to do with the Basilisk at all.

And the Basilisk is a sorta cool thought expiriment that a bunch of dumb people took wayyyyyy too loving seriously. Better we forget all about it.

E: Roko's Basilisk is just the dumb sci-fi philosophy version of "the game"

I think all the native american stuff people were posting is pretty strong evidence the maze is a metaphor. But we'll see.

You also have the snake part being more of a riddle than a literal snake so the map locations are clearly more than they appear.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I apologize as this thread is huge but in the recent episode the Man in Black tells the guy at the campfire to basically STFU about something - "I am on vacation!" - is he not a host?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I apologize as this thread is huge but in the recent episode the Man in Black tells the guy at the campfire to basically STFU about something - "I am on vacation!" - is he not a host?

Please don't be this stupid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vintersorg posted:

Definitely not. He's some rich philanthropist. The show was intentionally very vague and cut him off before he could say more than "you saved my sister's life---" but that's enough to give us more clues as to MiB's backstory.

I mean, you could come up with some :tinfoil: theory about how he's a host that escaped and started a company and then came back, but nah, he's a guest. Def.

RCarr posted:

God drat why is everybody so loving smug about watching a TV show in this thread? Its TELEVISION. Get over yourselves.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nope.

Well, not unless hosts get uppity about random assholes interrupting their vacations.

Which if you think about it, they would. So jury's out! But no, he's a guest as far as we know.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

God drat why is everybody so loving smug about watching a TV show in this thread? Its TELEVISION. Get over yourselves.

Because if you have half a brain you'd pick up on one of the dozen or so examples in the show that spell it out rather obviously.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm not convinced. See in timeline A, the MiB is clearly a Host that's gone rogue. But in timeline B, things are a little more complicated. Evidence has led me to believe the MiB has actually become a de-aged Guest that we recognize as William.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I do wonder if the reason the show is presented with MiB and the other guests doing things separately is because they were trying to recycle as much material as possible when they went back and rewrote the show. As in maybe they were fine with a lot of the MiB or William storylines and the figured out it'd be more efficient if they just rewrote once side of what we're seeing and created a final event for them to meetup around.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
The MiB is a gun that turned sentient trying to figure out how it worked.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fargo Fukes posted:

IT'S THE BULLETS!!!!!!!! HE'S A BULLET!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tadashi posted:

I do wonder if the reason the show is presented with MiB and the other guests doing things separately is because they were trying to recycle as much material as possible when they went back and rewrote the show. As in maybe they were fine with a lot of the MiB or William storylines and the figured out it'd be more efficient if they just rewrote once side of what we're seeing and created a final event for them to meetup around.

That's very possible. In S1E1 of Game of Thrones, you never see Sansa next to Catelyn, becuase all Sansa's scenes were filmed with the original Catelyn actress and so when they swapped it they recorded new scenes for Catelyn's dialogue, but then just edited in Sansa's original scenes. Works pretty well, you don't even really notice until you analyze it. (GoT had a terrible pilot and they re-shot most of the episode, but re-used footage)

Things like Tyrion's hair changing color are a much bigger giveaway.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RCarr posted:

:lol:

Thanks for the honest answers everyone else.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I got the impression that vintersorg was asking about the random guy being a guest, not the MiB.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

d0grent posted:

I got the impression that vintersorg was asking about the random guy being a guest, not the MiB.

No, it was the MiB. I thought he was some host who was loving around and discovered something -- so the reveal on Sunday broke that theory of my own.

I haven't been reading the thread.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is the only indication for distinguishing guests from hosts, other than being told directly, the poo poo-eating grin on the faces of guests anytime something crazy happens? For a second, I thought Teddy had a new host sidekick in that female guest because they had just told him he was getting a new backstory and then she showed up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RCarr posted:

Because if you have half a brain you'd pick up on one of the dozen or so examples in the show that spell it out rather obviously.

Like when the characters called him a guest 2 episodes ago.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

tadashi posted:

Is the only indication for distinguishing guests from hosts, other than being told directly, the poo poo-eating grin on the faces of guests anytime something crazy happens?

That's one hint. The behavior of the character is going to suggest they're a host or a guest.

Another is the bullets, of course. When a guest is hit by a simunation bullet, it's not meant to cause a lethal wound.

I don't believe everything I see either, though. This park is run by wizards, and I think the show might be made by wizards, too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress, the Matrix sequels wereseries was such poo poo weren't they?
There we go, now it's much more clear.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

There we go, now it's much more clear.

Nah. Just the sequels were poo poo.

I re-watched the Matrix long, long after the sequels had left a terrible taste in my mouth and was shocked in hindsight how much they hosed things up. The first movie had this awesome noir vibe (gone from the later movies), didn't abuse it's effects (There is literally way more bullet time in the intro of Reloaded than the entire first movie), and had a coherent plot (holy poo poo they hosed that up).

It's also a perfectly contained movie. There is literally no reason for a sequel. By the end Neo could do anything, and that's really where it should have been left.

Long story short: The Matrix is actually still a good movie, it's sequels didn't make it shittier. It'd be like people hating the original Halloween because the Thorn Curse stuff was the dumbest poo poo in the universe, several movies later.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if we, the viewers are actually hosts?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I bet the ambiguity from the hosts's scenes is that they actually don't have anything close to a linear grasp of time, just something that imitates it close enough to matter. Which does leave room for the show creators to pull something crazy off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fargo Fukes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IkM64_M-wk

• Locked thread