Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Gul Banana posted:

submit the forms to your own server and pass them on to the third party product after validation

I figured that might be the way to go. Now to try and convince the client to either spend :10bux: for me to redo their forms or shut up about the spam they are getting and how I am complicit in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Can anyone tell me how this is done, er, the process it goes thru?

https://www.coutts.com.

When you click to another page, a loader shows up right at the very top of the first page, going from left to right. Once it fills up, it goes to the next page.

It feels ajaxy, but the url seems to get refreshed.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

stoops posted:

When you click to another page, a loader shows up right at the very top of the first page, going from left to right. Once it fills up, it goes to the next page.

I could just be using pushState to put the new URL in the address bar and history.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Workflow question for you folks. I'm working on a project that has a git repo containing an entire Drupal installation (using Acquia Cloud). I need to start working on the site's theme, but I'd like to track revisions independently as there's a lot of migration/core updates/module development nonsense going on in the main repo, and I don't want my work to be tracked there for the time being.

What's the smartest way for me to have a repo within a repo, if you will? Could I use symbolic links or something? I'm not sure if that'd even work. I want to track my theme work in Github and allow my theme to be visible in my local development environment, but I don't want it to be tracked in the main Acquia repo.

Ideas?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

kedo posted:

Workflow question for you folks. I'm working on a project that has a git repo containing an entire Drupal installation (using Acquia Cloud). I need to start working on the site's theme, but I'd like to track revisions independently as there's a lot of migration/core updates/module development nonsense going on in the main repo, and I don't want my work to be tracked there for the time being.

What's the smartest way for me to have a repo within a repo, if you will? Could I use symbolic links or something? I'm not sure if that'd even work. I want to track my theme work in Github and allow my theme to be visible in my local development environment, but I don't want it to be tracked in the main Acquia repo.

Ideas?

:fork:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My issue is that the application (Dev Desktop) acts as both a gui for git and as a development environment. It sets up a localhost which allows me to do dev work and allows me to push/pull from the remote repo.

I could theoretically fork it and set up another installation using MAMP or whatever, but I'm wondering if there's a non-idiotic way I could avoid that and still use the Dev Desktop environment.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

stoops posted:

looking for something like http://instantclick.io/

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hello, thread.

I'm currently in charge, more or less, of the website and digital stuff for the small restaurant I work for. When the baton was passed to me I cleaned it up as best as I could but I'm pretty sure I've pretty much hit the limits of the WYSIWYG editor (vistaprint, to be specific) my boss picked out.

While I know some basic html, most of my programming experience has been in MATLAB. Of the different things listed in the OP (python, ruby, et al.,) which is probably going to feel the most familiar to me?

Really at the end of the day, the vistaprint gets the job done, letting me pretty easily do our live music schedule, special events page, and menus; I'd just like to make it a little flashier.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Making the end result 'flashier' probably means learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript rather than doing much with the server-side code. Can you elaborate on what you mean by that?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

Really at the end of the day, the vistaprint gets the job done, letting me pretty easily do our live music schedule, special events page, and menus; I'd just like to make it a little flashier.

Hello friend from another thread! I have made dozens of websites for restaurants. Trust me when I tell you that "flashier" is not what your users want, nor will it bring you any more business. They want easy access to information (hours of operation, address, menu, music schedule). Every single bad restaurant site ever created comes from a desire to make the site flashier, or to try to "create a unique experience, like a user is visiting our restaurant on the internet." Focus instead on making it cleaner and easier to use.

If you don't want to code it yourself, try Squarespace. If you do want to code it yourself, a static site with HTML/CSS and a sprinkling of JS is probably all you need.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

kedo posted:

Hello friend from another thread! I have made dozens of websites for restaurants. Trust me when I tell you that "flashier" is not what your users want, nor will it bring you any more business. They want easy access to information (hours of operation, address, menu, music schedule). Every single bad restaurant site ever created comes from a desire to make the site flashier, or to try to "create a unique experience, like a user is visiting our restaurant on the internet." Focus instead on making it cleaner and easier to use.

If you don't want to code it yourself, try Squarespace. If you do want to code it yourself, a static site with HTML/CSS and a sprinkling of JS is probably all you need.

That's a good point. I think the only time I've ever been more impressed by a resturaunt's site than their food is http://sotarol.com/ which is pretty slick, despite the giant hero banner that makes you interact at least twice to see a menu or location list.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I don't think any restaurant site has out-designed "Okay, where is your menu, can i see photos of the space, can i book a reservation, what is the address?"

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, fair points, all. I feel like this is a subject I know just enough to realize how much I don't know. When I say flashy I don't really mean anything gaudy or gimmicky, but it'd be nice to be able, for example, to build a content block just once and then just tell the front page and the live music page to display it, instead of having to manually build it every time.

For a example of what I mean--I love how Gypsy Sally's does their calendar, and after looking at theirs, I just feel like ours feels clunky.

I guess a better word than flashy would be polished?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not sure if you want to go down that road, but the Gypsy Sally calendar looks like it's either a Wordpress calender plugin of some kind (they are running Wordpress), or more likely, some functionality they are getting from their ticketing partner TicketFly (check this page out, has similar fly out functionality: http://linkshall.ticketfly.com/calendar/)

You could do your site in Wordpress pretty quick if you know it, and relatively quick if you don't. Whether you actually want to take that on though...

EDIT: Nice, their calendar even has microformat support. This can be great for local search/mobile search:
https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/events

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 25, 2016

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure how to tell. I've looked at Wordpress before and dropped some subtle hints at my boss, so that might be the avenue to take.

Thanks a bunch, y'all. I'm gonna tuck into CSS and java and try honing my HTML and see if I can make any headway there.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Trebuchet King posted:

I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure how to tell. I've looked at Wordpress before and dropped some subtle hints at my boss, so that might be the avenue to take.

Thanks a bunch, y'all. I'm gonna tuck into CSS and java and try honing my HTML and see if I can make any headway there.

JavaScript - it's not Java and only looks superficially similar but you'll get very different Google results between the two

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Scaramouche posted:

Not sure if you want to go down that road, but the Gypsy Sally calendar looks like it's either a Wordpress calender plugin of some kind (they are running Wordpress), or more likely, some functionality they are getting from their ticketing partner TicketFly (check this page out, has similar fly out functionality: http://linkshall.ticketfly.com/calendar/)

You could do your site in Wordpress pretty quick if you know it, and relatively quick if you don't. Whether you actually want to take that on though...

EDIT: Nice, their calendar even has microformat support. This can be great for local search/mobile search:
https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/events

It's not self hosted WP + plugin, the whole thing is powered by ticketfly, their own wp-cms-weirdness just with a custom style:

https://www.gypsysallys.com is an alias for sites.tfly-cloud.com.
sites.tfly-cloud.com has address 205.234.15.6

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

The Dave posted:

Yeah I don't think any restaurant site has out-designed "Okay, where is your menu, can i see photos of the space, can i book a reservation, what is the address?"

If there is one feature to add to your website that will make it stand out, is a way to make reservations easily without picking up the phone.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Skandranon posted:

If there is one feature to add to your website that will make it stand out, is a way to make reservations easily without picking up the phone.

Hell, just having the phone number be easy to find would make it stand out from most restaurant sites.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Just be on open table.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lumpy posted:

Hell, just having the phone number be easy to find would make it stand out from most restaurant sites.

Meanwhile what's with all those local news sites that don't give any clue what D-tier town they're based in? It'll be like "wtnynews.com" or "thegazetteherald.com" or something and there will be no banner saying the name of the town, just the local talking heads and the slogan or something. The only way to find out where the gently caress it is if they have a "local weather" widget that reports the town name (usually without even the state). Or looking at the latest headline story about some big rig crash where the lede is "Traffic was snarled Tuesday after about 8:30 AM between Exit 31 and Summerlin Road" and you have something to google.

And then there's tech sites with articles that are often very time-sensitive or whose age is very relevant and there is no date on the postings anywhere, aaaagh

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Data Graham posted:

And then there's tech sites with articles that are often very time-sensitive or whose age is very relevant and there is no date on the postings anywhere, aaaagh

This drives me nuts. Most of it I guess is incompetence but I also wonder if some do it on purpose to draw traffic (or at least not push away traffic).

One thing I think is funny is when obviously outdated websites say things like "On the 5th November there will be a meeting at..." with no hint whether that's 5th November 2006 or 2016.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

kedo posted:

Oh God, this. I was on a restaurant's site recently and they didn't even have opening times on there. I had to use Google Maps instead to find that information.

Also, for the love of God, put your menu in HTML instead of forcing me to download a PDF! It really sucks on a phone when all I want to see is the dinner menu!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like "ridiculous restaurant websites that think they're going to revolutionize user interfaces instead of just pissing off their potential clientele" could make a great hall of shame.

http://www.burgerandlobster.com :psyduck:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Also, for the love of God, put your menu in HTML instead of forcing me to download a PDF! It really sucks on a phone when all I want to see is the dinner menu!

You have no idea how many times I've had this argument. Restaurants are literally the worst clients, zero exaggeration.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just Google the restaurant and Google tells me all the pertinent info way better than the actual restaurants site does 90% of the time.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

nexus6 posted:

Oh God, this. I was on a restaurant's site recently and they didn't even have opening times on there. I had to use Google Maps instead to find that information.

kedo posted:

You have no idea how many times I've had this argument. Restaurants are literally the worst clients, zero exaggeration.

There must be some sort of impetus restaurant owners have where they're like, I designed my venue, I'm gonna 'design' my website, but imma just gonna ignore what my professional tells me cause I want a unique experience!!!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

"People come to the website for the atmosphere"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Is there such a thing as a simulator for cheap LCD monitors? I want something I can plug an image into and see how those colors would look on some trash 6-bit-per-pixel display.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

nexus6 posted:

"People come to the website for the atmosphere"

God, yes. :(

Restaurants are the perfect storm of lovely client. They're run by people who are used to getting their way, are obsessed with the idea of providing an "experience" with every single thing they do, do not understand or care about accessibility or usability, and as the proverbial cherry on top, none of them have a reasonable budget for web design because they don't understand the value of it. These days I mostly refuse to work with them unless I can either get a big budget or if I know they're not going to be a problem.

Fun experiences from kedo's past:

Went through the entire UX, design and development phases of the project. One week away from launching the site the chef-owner shows it to his investors: "They don't like it, so let's start over." When we told him that was impossible at this point in the project and we'd have to charge him for an entire new site his response was, "if one of my cooks sends a lovely dish to a customer, I don't force them to eat it, I throw it away and make the cook start over." Okay, but a dish doesn't require a hundred hours of work and cost thousands of dollars.

Had a client who refused to pay his last bill because he didn't understand how RSS worked. He assumed RSS meant his blog posts would automatically appear on news sites across the world because they would be automagically syndicated. His entire marketing strategy was based around this one, incorrect idea. When we launched the site and his first blog post didn't show up on nytimes.com, he was pissed. I wish I were joking. I think that restaurant closed after a few months.

Wrote six or seven versions of a scope of work for a client because he "just couldn't find any room in the budget for X," where X was some vital piece of functionality. I kept removing things until the website was basically a one pager with a video background (of course), and a PDF menu download for a bargain basement price. Later learned he spent $1000 per bar stool because he didn't like the color of the stain on cheaper bar stools.

Finally convinced a particularly difficult client that giving users both a HTML menu and an optional PDF download was better than using a PDF alone. Launched the site and turned over files/server access. Two days later a big, red headline appears on the menu page: "MENU MAY BE OUT OF DATE DOWNLOAD PDF HERE" They never updated the HTML menu, ever.

Anyways! Fun times.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

And even better, do it on Drupal.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Drupal apologist here. Most of the lovely Drupal sites I have worked on have been the result of developers either not fully understanding what they are doing or being lazy and not customizing the CMS admin at all.

I've made dozens of Drupal sites and a key thing for me is making the admin area as useful and intuitive as possible. If you just give clients the default admin account and leave it at that you are doing it wrong.

See, I have very little Wordpress experience so from my point of view Wordpress sites are awful.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

nexus6 posted:

See, I have very little Wordpress experience so from my point of view Wordpress sites are awful.

I have quite a lot of Wordpress experience and from my point of view Wordpress sites are still pretty awful :)

Someone mentioned https://getkirby.com/ to me recently - anyone tried it? CMS without a DB. Seems kinda cool.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I've had only a few minor brushes with Wordpress and I'm already eager to never touch it ever again. I've been looking into Squarespace recently and the developer tools are actually quite nice. It seems like SS can cover 95% of the use cases of Wordpress for most basic blog/ecommerce/personal sites. I'd be interested to hear compelling examples of WP being superior to SS for a given project. How often do you really need server side scripting and full DB control anyway?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

fuf posted:

Someone mentioned https://getkirby.com/ to me recently - anyone tried it? CMS without a DB. Seems kinda cool.

Is this just "stick a bunch of files on the server" like people were doing at the very start of the web?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

Kirby is file-based – No database involved. This means first class performance, version controllable content, simple backups and many other awesome sideeffects.

Funny, these are exactly the reasons I stopped using file-based content listings

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anony Mouse posted:

How often do you really need server side scripting and full DB control anyway?

Pretty much every project I work on for the former. But I agree that SS is fine for the majority of projects that require a CMS.

I like working with WordPress because I've been using it for years and so it feels like second nature to me. I understand all of its quirks. That being said, on probably half of my projects where a client requests a CMS they don't actually need a CMS. I'd rather code a mostly static site rather than shoehorning in a CMS just because, "Dianne from marketing feels strongly that we need to be able to change the content on the Who We Are page at least weekly."

I mainly dislike Drupal because it breaks what could be simple tasks into a hundred sub-tasks that are equal parts hidden or described to you in developerese. Imagine painting a garden shed. You need a paintbrush. WordPress is one of those pre-packaged sets of four brushes you can get at Home Depot. None of them are perfect by themselves, but you can use them together to accomplish your task with relative ease. What's more, they have instructions printed on the package that even an idiot can understand. The set didn't come with a small enough brush to handle some of the detail work so you have to make due with what you have, but in the end you get the job done.

Drupal is a crate dropped off a truck from Paintbrush Supplier Inc. that contains uncut wood, metal banding, rivets and a 100lb bag of mixed horse hair. The supplier also sent his extremely autistic son along to explain how to combine those elements into paintbrushes, but his son spends most of his time ignoring you and debating hair texture with himself off in a corner. Ultimately, with a lot of effort you can probably make exactly the type of paintbrush you need for the job, but it's a massive time sink considering you didn't set out to make a paintbrush in the first place, you're just trying to paint your garden shed blue for the missus.

And That's Why I No Longer Wish To Work In Development

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Well sure, if you look at web development from the perspective of a client building a site themselves (or getting the boss' nephew to do it, he does computers).

To follow that analogy, I know how to build a paintbrush that does exactly what the client wants so it's great to have the parts to make it, rather than a fully pre-made brush I have to snap pieces off and duct tape parts on to get it to resemble what the client wants.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

Is this just "stick a bunch of files on the server" like people were doing at the very start of the web?

Went to a Jekyll session at connect-tech last week and the presenter mentioned https://staticsitegenerators.net/. There are literally hundreds of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Data Graham posted:

Funny, these are exactly the reasons I stopped using file-based content listings

Wait, you're saying you did not want first class performance, version control, and simple backups?

Static site generators are pretty great and really what many people doing blog-ish things should be using.