Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MarcusSA posted:

Love the app but I sure am getting a lot of crashes on my iPad Pro on iOS 10.

Crashes when loading booked marked threads. Crashes when posting replies. Can't replicate it and it seems to be random.

Also getting the same type of crashes on my 7+ so :shrug:

Yeah it's crashy as heck lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Regular Nintendo posted:

Yeah it's crashy as heck lately

seems to have stopped on my ipad pro after yesterday's update

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
nevermind i wasn't reading hard enough - still crashy

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I'm getting that as well on my 6S Plus but not on my 7 for some reason

I just switched it to open safari and it works well enough

Ideally, yes.

But for some random site linked on SA, there may just be a need for a quick look rather than going through the trouble of messing with safari.

It was real nifty when it was working.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Test

For some reason embedding images via the long press + from album wasn't working earlier.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I figured it out. I was trying to post a photo that was edited with Apple's new Markup thing. Couldn't work. When I took a screenshot of the marked up image, it worked perfectly.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In addition to the previous crashes, the app now crashes when returning to foreground

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don't know if this is known because it might not affect many people, but I've noticed if there's no active data stream and you try to refresh or view a thread, the app will crash.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

I figured it out. I was trying to post a photo that was edited with Apple's new Markup thing. Couldn't work. When I took a screenshot of the marked up image, it worked perfectly.

Im not exactly sure what you mean but when I try and select a picture from the album the app crashes. Doesn't matter if it's a screenshot or not.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Any chance of adding a fallback mechanism for thread tags that don't have a converted awful.app version yet? Instead of displaying the generic bullet point icon, I mean.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The app was crashing while it crashed, and then the app crashed

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

Any chance of adding a fallback mechanism for thread tags that don't have a converted awful.app version yet? Instead of displaying the generic bullet point icon, I mean.

I would argue the better solution instead of having a second fallback, would be to tell us which thread tags don't work and then we can just make them.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I opened the app and then the app crashed

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Regular Nintendo posted:

Sounds like it's time for you to

git gud

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
(To the tune of Katy Perry's 'I kissed a girl')

Regular Nintendo posted:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I marked a post as read and it crashed, then I played a youtube video and it crashed

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The forums have become aware and know you are a bad poster.

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010

Hmm.

Immediately prior to this, whenever I would choose an active thread I would get an error message saying I needed archives (which I already have) :11tea:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Socialized posted:

Hmm.

Immediately prior to this, whenever I would choose an active thread I would get an error message saying I needed archives (which I already have) :11tea:
The forums were broken, but now they're not.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If you're having crash issues I feel bad for you son

I got 99 bugs but a crash ain't one

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Grace Baiting posted:

Minor bug(?) report: if your username is changed while you remain logged into Awful app the whole time, new quotes of your posts are not highlighted in purple; old quotes attributed to your old username are still highlighted instead. Similarly when you preview a new post, it still displays your old username atop the preview.
I'm guessing Awful caches your username (and avatar/title? Though I haven't checked this) only upon login?

Awful does cache your user info (and everyone else's). It'll update on login, and I think it's meant to update when you open the Settings tab. Might make sense to add a daily profile check or something though!

quote:

Bug report: in iOS 10 and... I guess previous Awful from the App Store (v3.17), if you long-press on a link within an embedded tweet, it will first pop up the useless "Copy URL/Cancel" buttons where the only URL copied is <https://forums.somethingawful.com>, as I've previously reported. But now if you keep pressing for a fraction of a second longer, it will pop up a new and exciting and partially useless set of buttons! These are "Copy/Open in Safari/Share.../Cancel": "Copy" seems to do literally nothing, "Share..." likewise (since I guess there's already the first set of buttons on the screen mb preventing the Sharing sheet from appearing?), and I've never tried "Open in Safari" so it might work!

That sounds pretty unhelpful indeed. I'll add it to my list!

quote:

:siren:EDIT‼️: just updated Awful to 3.18 (still with iOS 10.0.2) and now long-pressing on a link within an embedded tweet just insta-crashes Awful :pcgaming::nsavince:

This should be fixed now. (I'm replying like 10 days after the op so this was a perfectly helpful report at the time, just mentioning this for anyone following along.)

quote:

Minor feature request: given that logging out and logging back in to clear the cache is a semi-common troubleshooting step here in this thread, would it be worth it to add a "Clear Cache", probz with a confirmation dialog, to the Settings screen?

Maybe it should exist yeah. My thinking was that we should make it work well enough that it never really occurs to anyone that they need to empty it, and in the ideally very rare occasion where it becomes an issue, the log out/log in dance is enough.

In practice it obviously isn't working out that well. But I'm still not sure the answer is a "Clear Cache" button, and here's why: the cache clearing is pretty lovely atm and crashes a lot. So I'm worried a "Clear Cache" button is really just a "Please Crash" button.

The answer is of course to fix the cache clearing :)

jivjov posted:

I'm getting semi-frequent crashes on refreshing bookmarks. Can't seem to replicate on command though.

Latest App Store version of app, iOS 9 (latest version)

That sucks, sorry about that. I'll take a look.

That Robot posted:

Links still don't work (despite the latest update) on my iPhone 6 Plus. It just shows a blank window and "website name" as the title whenever I click on a link.

I'm running the latest version of iOS.

Can you look into this please? Kthx

I get this often, but I can't detect any pattern, and if I hit "Done" and tap the exact same link again then it always works that second time. It's very strange. I'll see what I can do though.

MarcusSA posted:

Love the app but I sure am getting a lot of crashes on my iPad Pro on iOS 10.

Crashes when loading booked marked threads. Crashes when posting replies. Can't replicate it and it seems to be random.

Also getting the same type of crashes on my 7+ so :shrug:

Sorry about that! Time to look into all the crashes.

Trevor Hale posted:

That's hosed up. I'll add it to my list.

Regular Nintendo posted:

In addition to the previous crashes, the app now crashes when returning to foreground

:(

EL BROMANCE posted:

Don't know if this is known because it might not affect many people, but I've noticed if there's no active data stream and you try to refresh or view a thread, the app will crash.

News to me, I will check it out!

dragon enthusiast posted:

I agree with:

The Dave posted:

I would argue the better solution instead of having a second fallback, would be to tell us which thread tags don't work and then we can just make them.

It also just occurred to me that I should add some analytics for missing thread tags to easily see which ones are missing. Dunno why that hasn't occurred to me before!

Socialized posted:

Hmm.

This is a very confusing error message that actually meant "the forums are hosed and we can't read any useful info out of the data we got sent". Sorry!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Just noticed the stickers

Awful App is best app

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bum the Sad posted:

Just noticed the stickers

Awful App is best app

The stickers couldn't pass review :(

real ogs build from master

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Dammit I need these stickers

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

carry on then posted:

The stickers couldn't pass review :(

real ogs build from master

Beta forever then?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

They'll disappear from the beta soon too, sorry.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Quick, fork the repo on Github.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

pokeyman posted:

They'll disappear from the beta soon too, sorry.

no gently caress you

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

Quick, fork the repo on Github.

I'll leave it in the repo. But it'll be too annoying to turn stickers on and off between TestFlight betas, not to mention it's kinda against the spirit of TestFlight.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Wait are we never getting stickers? :smith:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm not gonna say never but it's not worth fifteen rounds with App Review to me. If someone else wants to fight the fight and paste me the official list of blessed stickers then I'll happily take it from there.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I'm getting an error on my iPhone SE whenever I try to access my private messages. It's this isolated to me, or are pms just borked? Does it just mean I have no messages?

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
I am extremely sad the smiles will be going away with a new version of the app. If I were to go through all 1000 smilies and pick out the lovely ones, what format would I give that to you in? Is there a list I can go through easily somewhere? I'm willing to put a little time in to make this a feature we can use if I have to.

The problem though is that the Apple review process is so subjective, is it even worthwhile? I love the feature and want it to continue - everyone I show it to is jealous and wants it just for the smilies!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kailtor posted:

I am extremely sad the smiles will be going away with a new version of the app.
Uhh

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

When is the new forums arch coming out anyways?

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

The smiles from the beta package, maybe you haven't heard!

STICKERS I MEANT STICKERS

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Freakbox posted:

I'm getting an error on my iPhone SE whenever I try to access my private messages. It's this isolated to me, or are pms just borked? Does it just mean I have no messages?

Something about a really unhelpful error message when your inbox is empty does ring a bell. If your inbox is indeed empty then that is the likely cause. It must be in my list somewhere but I will add it once more!

Kailtor posted:

I am extremely sad the smiles will be going away with a new version of the app. If I were to go through all 1000 smilies and pick out the lovely ones, what format would I give that to you in? Is there a list I can go through easily somewhere? I'm willing to put a little time in to make this a feature we can use if I have to.

The problem though is that the Apple review process is so subjective, is it even worthwhile? I love the feature and want it to continue - everyone I show it to is jealous and wants it just for the smilies!

The smilie keyboard is staying, don't worry. It's just the iMessage sticker pack (which never made it out of beta) that I've given up on.

That said, if you really want, I can whip up the list of smilies and you can try to sort out which ones App Review will find objectionable. (It might be easier to do a whitelist instead of a blacklist, that's ok by me.) I'll forward you the (largely unhelpful) screenshots that get attached to the rejections, until you wear them down and they finally relent! And I'll point you at the current blacklist for the smilie keyboard to give you a lil head start. What's a good way to coordinate on this? Google docs?

zen death robot posted:

Pokeyman, did you catch what I posted in the dev thread about huge threads with lists of page numbers decompress to eat up a ton of ram like the GOP thread in CSPAM. That sort of thing may be the cause of a lot of crashes. I'm not sure what I can do to unfuck the code at this point since the way forward is to replace it anyways but that might be a thread you can poke at and collect worst-case stats on

I did yeah, replied last night. We don't actually render that dropdown in the app (just scrape the bits we care about), so I'd be a bit surprised if simply parsing it managed to crash the app. But I'm focusing on crash fixes this release, so I'll be sure to check it!

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Re: smilies/stickers, I'm unemployed atm so I have time to help the effort

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Google docs sounds like a good place to start yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I love this app - it greatly helps my metro sanity when suffering poor phone service. Is there a PayPal donation link?

My question is - how do you bookmark pages? I saw the rating control but not sure about staring them.

• Locked thread