Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/10/double-tap-wake-arriving-pixel-phones-soon.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone try the Axon 7 mini?

Looks like decent specs and it isn't huge, which is nice compared to all these massive phones

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

T-mobile is subsidizing the price of the Pixel (50%) through bill credits on certain plans.

http://amp.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-will-give-you-50-back-your-google-pixel-purchase

I wonder if ATT is going to follow suit. I also wonder if they are all kicking themselves on passing on carrying the phone since it's proven to be a good seller.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

T-mobile is subsidizing the price of the Pixel (50%) through bill credits on certain plans.

http://amp.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-will-give-you-50-back-your-google-pixel-purchase

I wonder if ATT is going to follow suit. I also wonder if they are all kicking themselves on passing on carrying the phone since it's proven to be a good seller.

Do we actually know that ATT passed on carrying the Pixel? I thought the situation was that Verizon being exclusive was part of their deal with Google.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anyone try the Axon 7 mini?

Looks like decent specs and it isn't huge, which is nice compared to all these massive phones

Why not at Nexus 5X at that price point?

edit:

Or, hell, this T-mobile credit thing on a Pixel looks mighty tempting.

nimper fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 27, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nimper posted:

Why not at Nexus 5X at that price point?

edit:

Or, hell, this T-mobile credit thing on a Pixel looks mighty tempting.

Depending on your current plan at T-Mobile or elsewhere, might not be worth switching to the One plan. Unless I missed some fine print and you don't actually need to get on that plan?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Depending on your current plan at T-Mobile or elsewhere, might not be worth switching to the One plan.

This is really the big thing. If you're already a T-Mo customer, odds are the ONE plan is a lot worse than the plan you're already on. Here's a pretty good writeup as to why that is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

This is really the big thing. If you're already a T-Mo customer, odds are the ONE plan is a lot worse than the plan you're already on. Here's a pretty good writeup as to why that is.

While all of this seems like garbage, lmao at complaining about being throttled above 26 GB in a month.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Luchadork posted:

Do we actually know that ATT passed on carrying the Pixel? I thought the situation was that Verizon being exclusive was part of their deal with Google.

No one really knows for sure, but it seems likely Google shopped the phone around to all the carriers like they did last year with the 5x and 6p (and those phones got no bites.)

The exclusively was likely the condition that sealed the Verizon deal, but I have to imagine it was offered to everyone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 27, 2016

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

While all of this seems like garbage, lmao at complaining about being throttled above 26 GB in a month.

Most of the grumbling I see about the ONE plan is about net neutrality. The 26GB throttle comes standard with pretty much every unlimited plan offered by any carrier nowadays.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Zero-rating-ish stuff is classic consumer short-term gain vs long-term loss thinking.

And ONE is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the long-term losses.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

bull3964 posted:

Wait, what exactly is stopping someone from buying a Pixel, registering with T-mobile then selling the phone again and use the SIM in another phone?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sereri posted:

Wait, what exactly is stopping someone from buying a Pixel, registering with T-mobile then selling the phone again and use the SIM in another phone?

Wouldn't T-Mobile be able to see what phone is active on the network?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sereri posted:

Probably nothing. It's a bill credit for 24 months and in return you're locked into their plan, so they probably wouldn't even mind.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

nimper posted:

Most of the grumbling I see about the ONE plan is about net neutrality. The 26GB throttle comes standard with pretty much every unlimited plan offered by any carrier nowadays.

Holy cow, 26GB in Canada would probably cost like $800/month.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

PerrineClostermann posted:

Isn't the big thing that one resistor you need in the cable? Some cables skimped on it to get faster charge rates, and that will fry devices using USBC PD.

Well I will replace one of the chargers with the one that comes with the phone, so I'll be using the provided C-to-C for that. Then I'll use the provided A-to-C for one of the other Ankers, which I assume should be fine since it's the Google-provided cable, and then I guess the replaced charger will become my travel guy, and use the adapter? All of the stuff that would be actually touching the phone will be the Google-provided/branded stuff which I would hope is up to spec.

I'm much more worried about not killing the phone rather than making sure I'm charging at max efficiency at all times.

Also I'm :f5: the FedEx tracking page even though my phone isn't supposed to arrive until tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I'll need to buy a new A-to-C cable for my battery pack. One new cable ain't bad though.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 27, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: Oh, I guess I'll need to buy a new A-to-C cable for my battery pack. One new cable ain't bad though.

If you find a good short one, please post about it here. This whole thing is ridiculous.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, there really aren't any good 1ft a-c choices. Might be better to use a microA to C adapter.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Here's something funny, my Pixel charger doesn't work properly with my Pixel C, despite them both being rated at 5V 3A. I mean it charges, but for some reason it won't let the display stay off while it's charging.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Apparently FedEx decided that I don't need my new Pixel to replace my dying Nexus 5. Their delivery guy claims he delivered it onto my porch, giving such great details of my house that he could have gotten by running google street view, and which also describes about 10 other houses in a 2 block radius of my house. In the 2 years I've lived at this house we have never once had a package stolen from our porch. So Fed Ex closed the case I had opened. Google Store's policy is "If the carrier says they delivered it, gently caress you, not our problem." At this point I have to hope that Fed Ex pays out the claim I just opened with them.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

A buddy in Sweden is considering getting a Pixel (having it shipped to me, then me sending it to him) but wants to confirm it will work with his carrier (Tre). Anyone in here know if it will work?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

XIII posted:

A buddy in Sweden is considering getting a Pixel (having it shipped to me, then me sending it to him) but wants to confirm it will work with his carrier (Tre). Anyone in here know if it will work?

Yes, it'll work.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/3-tre-sweden

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Google-Pixel_id10264

Pixel supports every GSM/UMTS/LTE band that 3 operates.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently FedEx decided that I don't need my new Pixel to replace my dying Nexus 5. Their delivery guy claims he delivered it onto my porch, giving such great details of my house that he could have gotten by running google street view, and which also describes about 10 other houses in a 2 block radius of my house. In the 2 years I've lived at this house we have never once had a package stolen from our porch. So Fed Ex closed the case I had opened. Google Store's policy is "If the carrier says they delivered it, gently caress you, not our problem." At this point I have to hope that Fed Ex pays out the claim I just opened with them.
Look into purchase protection from your credit card, also have phones and other high dollar stuff delivered to your work if possible. Sucks about your phone, though - I hope you get it resolved.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Syrinxx posted:

Look into purchase protection from your credit card, also have phones and other high dollar stuff delivered to your work if possible. Sucks about your phone, though - I hope you get it resolved.

Well, despite their official policy being "gently caress you, not our problem", after talking with a Google rep they are going to fully refund my purchase so I can repurchase a new one. Their refunds apparently take a while, but the Pixel is sold out anyways so its going to be almost a month before I could get one anyways. I probably won't be able to get my free Daydream VR thing, but at least I'm not completely hosed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For anyone having Bluetooth issues on Pixel (and Nexus phones running 7.1), Google is looking for a fix now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/27/bug-watch-pixel-bluetooth-pairing-issues-many-vehicles/

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, despite their official policy being "gently caress you, not our problem", after talking with a Google rep they are going to fully refund my purchase so I can repurchase a new one. Their refunds apparently take a while, but the Pixel is sold out anyways so its going to be almost a month before I could get one anyways. I probably won't be able to get my free Daydream VR thing, but at least I'm not completely hosed.

Does Google really send them without requiring a signature? Verizon requires a signature for every phone order delivered through Fedex so that's pretty crazy that Google doesn't do that as well for direct orders

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Does Google really send them without requiring a signature? Verizon requires a signature for every phone order delivered through Fedex so that's pretty crazy that Google doesn't do that as well for direct orders

Yep, sent with no signature required, which is bizarre for a $700 phone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've used Android phones since the g1, and there has been no jump in user experience like this. This doesn't even feel like Android. This is an iPhone without the parts I didn't like.

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

For anyone having Bluetooth issues on Pixel (and Nexus phones running 7.1), Google is looking for a fix now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/27/bug-watch-pixel-bluetooth-pairing-issues-many-vehicles/

Fantastic, literally the reason I'm thinking of getting a pixel to replace my current lovely phone, and the Pixel (possibly) has it too. The bluetooth audio quality from my phone to my car has always been lovely, but last week it decided to start not connecting at all at random times.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thanks! I'll let him know

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently factory-reset my 2014 Moto X (on 5.1 'cause Verizon), and it isn't doing the system down-time (as opposed to the Motorola one) correctly. It enters it fine, but within an hour, it's no longer in priority mode and I have to futz with the volume and tell it to go back into priority mode. From then on, it's fine until the morning at the correct time. Does anyone have any idea why the hell this is happening?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
After more use of the Pixel, it isn't bad. I was just cranky the other day.

Now to find a case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Battery life on the normal Pixel is pretty good for its size. Right now I'm sitting at 14 hours off charge, 5 hours SoT, and I have 8% left. I just might be able to eek out another hour of SoT.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Peep Jerky posted:

Fantastic, literally the reason I'm thinking of getting a pixel to replace my current lovely phone, and the Pixel (possibly) has it too. The bluetooth audio quality from my phone to my car has always been lovely, but last week it decided to start not connecting at all at random times.

I've never known of an Android phone without Bluetooth issues. Especially Nexus. :v

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Does anyone ever choose not to transfer everything to a new phone? My contacts and photos are synced to gmail, and I don't really need anything else. I think half the fun of a new phone is getting new apps and organizing stuff. Is it just me?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've never known of an Android phone without Bluetooth issues. Especially Nexus. :v

I have no issues with 6P connecting my car (a recent Mazda), my headphones (Jabra) or the Bluetooth headphone amp I use at work (Creative)

It does sometimes disconnect from my Moto 360 but I'm not sure if that's the watch or the phone.

Quite a contrast to my previous LG G3 which was barely usable for audio of any type.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Pixel:
Has about the same battery life as the N5X. It's fine.
The RAM (I guess?) makes it waaay more usable -- something like Pokemon doesn't get kicked out of memory after I send a quick text. Or after I use three other apps.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If PCs have taught me anything, it's that more RAM is always welcome.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Coming from my Nexus 6, this battery life is phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
That's saying something given how ridiculously good the Nexus 6's battery life was. Need me that Pixel XL upgrade :(